Search This thread

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala
There are a lot of people joining XDA on a daily basis, and there are a lot of repetitive questions being asked
which clutter up the Development and 'Q & A' threads. Point them here. Feel free to ask or answer questions.

The idea of this thread is to get users to help other users with their problems/questions. People are usually
ridiculed for asking questions that other people deem stupid even though it may be a legitimate question. This
leads to new users being afraid to ask questions!

Only provide well mannered help towards users in this thread. Please do not spoon feed, but rather point in
the direction where that user can find an answer
and educate himself. If you don't want to answer, at least
point out where to find the answer.

Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read THIS thread.

Then, have a quick look at the names of threads in Post No. 2, you might find what you need right away.

Third. Even if you do get your question answered, please do come back and read threads in Post No. 2
(coming later as soon as we start getting the guides) to educate yourself. You'll be surprised how much time
and frustration it will save you in the future!

No abuse towards noobs tolerated here! That means:
NO TROLLING
NO NAME CALLING
NO RIDICULING
NO FLAMING

ASK ANY QUESTION HERE! No question is stupid or irrelevant in this thread. You will either get an answer or will get pointed in the right direction.

*A Special Thanks to mark manning for his help in creating this thread*

HALL OF FAME

People who contributed most to this thread and helped countless number of people with their
problems/questions. In no particular order.

Bruce Wayne
post-mortem
SilentStrider
Ghostfreak NB
mayank9856
sgs22012
Zatta
ADDICT.ANK

These people also have the right to use the banner below:
Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif

Just add this code to your signature:
HTML:
[URL="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257421"][IMG]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/41066660/Newbie%20Thread%20Sign.gif[/IMG][/URL]

Last edited:

lm8lm8

Nov 10, 2020
hi
I have a little htc pyramid whom runs lineageos
unfortunately Id like to use camera recorder without sdcard, but the device says "insert an sd card before using the camera"
I have few GB of free space disk without sd card ; how to handle it without sdcard?

thank you !

faketask

Oct 10, 2022
You can recover your device by flashing the stock ROM through LMSA, but if you have your backup in the internal storage, then it will have gone, who leaves an important thing in a place where is not safe? I'm assuming you have it in an external storage, so if something bad happens you can recover it.
After flashing stock ROM can I turn off the bootloader, I will not use any custom recovery or root so I don't need bootloader and if bootloader is unlocked it takes 5 seconds because of orange state before booting .
Thanks.

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
There is an option on my TV's service menu called UART Debug menu,, but there is no ADB,, those are the same?
Nope. The UART is going to be on some connector, probably inside the unit, probably a 4 pin connector.
There may not be an actual connector, just the circuit board with a place for the connector.
Take some good photos of the inside and I'm sure it will be easy to spot.
If you have that you probably will have a rooted console.

Reactions: jabi_james

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
After flashing stock ROM can I turn off the bootloader, I will not use any custom recovery or root so I don't need bootloader and if bootloader is unlocked it takes 5 seconds because of orange state before booting .
Thanks.
Not sure what does "After flashing stock ROM can I turn off the bootloader," mean, it´s a sentence or a question?.

All devices need and have a bootloader, so they can load properly all the images from Android instances, so you shouldn´t (nor can´t) get rid of it.

To fix your device, I suggested to flash the stock ROM, in my previous post is stated that if your backup is in your internal memory, you´ll lose it. The orange warning is nothing more than a not aesthetic cosmetical fact, but if also, you can´t actually boot, is probably, because your bootloader remains locked, and you did try to make some modifications.

Reactions: mrrocketdog

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
Thanks.

Thanks.
not to jump in @SubwayChamp postings but you can relock your bootloader.
if you "turn off" your bootloader your phone wont boot.
anyone please jump in if i'm incorrect or if have additional information.
peace
dang!! ninja'd. lol

Reactions: SubwayChamp

SubwayChamp

Aug 6, 2016
not to jump in @SubwayChamp postings but you can relock your bootloader.
if you "turn off" your bootloader your phone wont boot.
anyone please jump in if i'm incorrect or if have additional information.
peace
dang!! ninja'd. lol
Good, but they can't just switch to ON/OFF, like a switch.
Unlock and relock bootloader is different than simply turn it on or off, this last sounds like suppressing its operation or functionality, dam..lol.

jabi_james

Sep 12, 2011
TehRan
Nope. The UART is going to be on some connector, probably inside the unit, probably a 4 pin connector.
There may not be an actual connector, just the circuit board with a place for the connector.
Take some good photos of the inside and I'm sure it will be easy to spot.
If you have that you probably will have a rooted console.
ok.got it, uart is useless ,my tv is not rooted,

Attachments

• IMG_20211127_230910-scaled.jpg
    IMG_20211127_230910-scaled.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 6
D

Deleted member 12320397

I would not be so quick to flash a data partition from another version of android in bulk. That is basically a forced dirty flash, which the devs have chosen to disallow. One of he failure points is if a system app/component of the new ROM expects different data structure, it may crash when it finds the old data. The data partition includes data for possibly updated system apps. And this crash may occur much later than the first boot, or even just do so quietly.

A safer approach is to use your favourite backup program to only backup 3rd party apps . And then to save off your current config: most pf which is stored in your "settings". Because I use to build from source and flashing a lot of ROMs, I have automated this second part with my App TeMeFI. It generates a looooong script which should be applied with some thought/review; ie not blindly, like flashing the whole data partition. You can find the method at Current State >settings>Generate Set All
Thank you sir.

The stock androids seem to have this data migration seamlessly happening in the background during the OTA updates.

What's the reason no one has tried to automate this process on let's say LineageOS or other custom ROMs?

faketask

Oct 10, 2022
Good, but they can't just switch to ON/OFF, like a switch.
Unlock and relock bootloader is different than simply turn it on or off, this last sounds like suppressing its operation or functionality, dam..lol.
I messed up pretty big right now... I used the command fastboot flashing lock and locked the bootloader And now my tab won't boot not even in fastboot. It just shows the indicater light when I press power and then the light turns off , it doesn't even show the animation for charging just the indicater light. I don't have my laptop right now but can I flash stock rom still with LMSA ?
thanks

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
ok.got it, uart is useless ,my tv is not rooted,
Thanks for the photo. That's weird. There's no separate connector, but you can see HDMI 2 says (UART).

It's just possible that they are using pins #15 & #16 (I²C) as serial data. #17 is ground.
The first thing to check is whether when that "Uart enable" is selected whether you can use HDMI 2 as a normal video input.
Was that option on already?

If you have an oscilloscope you could check if there is data coming down one of those pins on booting.
Yes, in HDMI there would be normal I²C polling so you'd have 100 kb/s data vs (probably) 115.2 kb/s for UART.

If there is a console there it would probably be rooted, irrespective of whether the whole unit is "rooted".

Reactions: jabi_james

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
Thank you sir.

The stock androids seem to have this data migration seamlessly happening in the background during the OTA updates.

What's the reason no one has tried to automate this process on let's say LineageOS or other custom ROMs?
Some custom ROMs do have the option for OTA updates, it is just a matter of whether or not the developer chooses to include it in their ROM. Most developers do not include it because it is a lot of extra work, it can also cause an issue with updating because sometimes the system partition has to be wiped before applying a custom ROM update in order for the updated ROM to work correctly, OTA updates do not wipe the system partition. Downloading the updated ROM and manually flashing it is the better option if you want to avoid bugs and potentially softbricking your device when applying significantly upgraded ROM updates.

Last edited:

markusbug

Dec 16, 2021
Vienna
its a very brief description and I don't understand what you mean. However, one possibility of blocking access to components actions in android is through adding SELinux denies. I often have had to do the exact opposite when SELinux denies have been blocking access, and hence the thought.
Yes that is exactly what I need. Are there any tutorials to making a system-service available to an "untrusted_app"?
I already know how I can make all system-services available to untrusted apps but I have yet to find a tutorial to only allow access to one.

Thanks in advance!

52computer_guy

Oct 12, 2022
I have a scepter 8 from qlink and I think I wave turned it into a paperweight. I removed the SD card while it was still on and it crashed. I tried doing a factory reset via the power on recovery menu and now it connects to the router gets a IP address but won't get to the Internet to download the restore image. Have repeated several times and no joy. My phone gets on just fine. Any thoughts?
Glenn

Paz9

Jan 3, 2011
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Does anyone know if it's possible to edit /data/data/com.example without being rooted?
I have a file I need edited to modify Waze alerts, I just received my 7pro and I'm not sure if it's possible without root.

Droidriven

Jan 27, 2014
NC
Verizon Samsung Galaxy S III
HTC Thunderbolt
I have a scepter 8 from qlink and I think I wave turned it into a paperweight. I removed the SD card while it was still on and it crashed. I tried doing a factory reset via the power on recovery menu and now it connects to the router gets a IP address but won't get to the Internet to download the restore image. Have repeated several times and no joy. My phone gets on just fine. Any thoughts?
Glenn
Did you have the sdcard setup as Adoptable Storage? Did you have some system apps moved to sdcard? If so, the device won't function properly with the sdcard removed, even after a factory reset. Now that you have factory reset the device, even reinserting the sdcard won't make it work properly

jabi_james

Sep 12, 2011
TehRan
Thanks for the photo. That's weird. There's no separate connector, but you can see HDMI 2 says (UART).

It's just possible that they are using pins #15 & #16 (I²C) as serial data. #17 is ground.
The first thing to check is whether when that "Uart enable" is selected whether you can use HDMI 2 as a normal video input.
Was that option on already?

If you have an oscilloscope you could check if there is data coming down one of those pins on booting.
Yes, in HDMI there would be normal I²C polling so you'd have 100 kb/s data vs (probably) 115.2 kb/s for UART.

If there is a console there it would probably be rooted, irrespective of whether the whole unit is "rooted".
Thank you for answering, I wanted to use ADB and since I could not find ADB on my Android OS or Service Menu, I thought maybe there was another way to use ADB, because my TV is not rooted, and I can't use normal root explorers apps , so I need ADB to access TV's system file like Remote Config and etc to back up them. I am not an electrical engineer, so I don't want to mess with TV Board. There is one way to figure this out, should buy a USB 2.0 Type A Male to Male Cable, to try to connect my laptop to TV

Top Liked Posts