[HELP THREAD]Ask any questions! *NOOB FRIENDLY*

Search This thread

julesawdupin

Apr 16, 2013
istanbul
Hmmm, interesting. Even a supported device gets that.
Not sure if that applies to you, but for other devices we have to flash the base ROM then the whole quantal/raring/saucy ZIP. You did that?
The best try is the quantal MWC demo zip.

my method was
wipe data
wipe cache
flash raring-preinstalled-armel+maguro
flash raring-preinstalled-phablet-armhf
reboot

all of tutorials i watched was just like that.
anyway, when it comes to usable stage just "phablet-flash"

Nov 14, 2012
Lets begin

PHONE SLOW CLICK ME?

hey i dont know if anyone knows much about using the terminal in linux, but if you follow this link,
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes#Sample_content
it shows how to remove sample content that comes with the phone, i have followed the instructions to the T except for the SSh which had to be done through port forwarding to contact the device.
so when ever i go to run either
rm /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.canonical.Unity.Lens.MockMusic.service OR
rm /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.canonical.Unity.Lens.MockVideos.service

i get remove write protected regular file "rm /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.canonical.Unity.Lens.MockVideos.service"??

i have tried both y and yes then enter and im met with a message saying
rm:cannot remove "/usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.canonical.Unity.Lens.MockVideos.service"

all of the above is achieved through terminal following this process on the same page approx 1 -2 sections above, if anyone has any ideas it is very very gladly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance guys

kanoka42

May 20, 2013
hey i dont know if anyone knows much about using the terminal in linux, but if you follow this link,
it shows how to remove sample content that comes with the phone, i have followed the instructions to the T except for the SSh which had to be done through port forwarding to contact the device.
so when ever i go to run either
rm /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.canonical.Unity.Lens.MockMusic.service OR
rm /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.canonical.Unity.Lens.MockVideos.service

i get remove write protected regular file "rm /usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.canonical.Unity.Lens.MockVideos.service"??

i have tried both y and yes then enter and im met with a message saying
rm:cannot remove "/usr/share/dbus-1/services/com.canonical.Unity.Lens.MockVideos.service"

all of the above is achieved through terminal following this process on the same page approx 1 -2 sections above, if anyone has any ideas it is very very gladly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance guys

Are you root? Try sudo nautilus and navigate to /usr/share/dbus-1/services and try to delete the file from there. Be careful though because this can delete any file on your install, so don't go delete happy :)

Greg1964

Oct 9, 2012
Hey I got ubuntu 12.04 to boot on my Gs4 but all I get is a white blank screen.Does anyone know what I did wrong and how to fix it. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-M919 using xda app-developers app

donno1

Jun 14, 2013
OK, really dumb question. I've stayed away from Linux on the desktop because I hate command line interfaces. Ubuntu has made the GUI more window-like; is Touch as user friendly as Android, or will I have to go to command line when I get under the hood?

julesawdupin

Apr 16, 2013
istanbul
OK, really dumb question. I've stayed away from Linux on the desktop because I hate command line interfaces. Ubuntu has made the GUI more window-like; is Touch as user friendly as Android, or will I have to go to command line when I get under the hood?

currently yes, you can install apps via terminal on phone, or ssh via desktop. if we think that this is a dev-preview its kinda normal
but when it finished i dont think using command line would be necessary

TJ_Ahluwalia

Jan 3, 2012
Chennai
Hey guys! Last I tried was the preview (I have nexus 4 aka mako).. Does Ubuntu Touch work fine like with data, all contacts and everything working? Or are there still just a bunch of placeholders! Also is there any place I can track this kind of progress not the deep developer stuff..

lordcheeto03

Aug 18, 2012
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
To avoid board clutter yet post in a thread that appears to be both current and relevant, I decided to post my issue here.

I'm trying to port Ubuntu Touch to the S4. I'm not a dev but I do know how to research and follow directions. After fixing a derp in the kernel, a problem regarding the sdk's in use, and a few other various errors, I have run upon one that has me stumped.

Code:
frameworks/native/include/utils/Singleton.h:36: error: undefined reference to 'AdrenoMemInfo::AdrenoMemInfo()'
hardware/qcom/display-caf/libgralloc/mapper.cpp:408: error: undefined reference to 'AdrenoMemInfo::getStride(int, int)'
hardware/qcom/display-caf/libgralloc/mapper.cpp:416: error: undefined reference to 'android::Singleton<AdrenoMemInfo>::sLock'
hardware/qcom/display-caf/libgralloc/mapper.cpp:416: error: undefined reference to 'android::Singleton<AdrenoMemInfo>::sInstance'
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

I was getting this error using the hardware/qcom/display-caf sources from Ubuntu so I decided to try using the dir from my working cm-10.1. Still getting this error. There is also no difference between CM and Ubuntu's frameworks/native/include/utils/Singleton.h. What would be some clues as to why the same exact files don't give me problems when building from one directory but throws errors from another?

EDIT:
I reverted to using the hardware/qcom/display directory instead of display-caf and I got a successful build. Not sure of the effects I will encounter, but I have a complete build. I will update in the morning.

One question though; which of the required preinstall images for devices not officially supported should I use? The porting guide is rather vague on that subject. Just gives thislink. How do I know whether to use the quantal, saucy, or the daily-preinstalled? Even further, which file(s) do I need once I decide on what image section I need to look in? I assume phablet because I'm not building for Mako, Maguro, Manta, etc. Also, because the phablet portion only have one .zip to download, I assume that's because the others are for a full install due to their status as being supported; yet phablet is for those which aren't?

Last edited:
Reactions: P1_e85

Droid1063

Jul 4, 2013
Hi! When I try booting up ubuntu 12 I get an error saying error fetching interface information;Device not found.could you please give me some suggestions to what might be causing this error when trying to boot up ubuntu 12.the emulator is what is saying this error. Thanks in advance!!!

SynnyG

Jan 14, 2013
Strasbourg
Hi all !

One month ago, I've tested Ubuntu touch on my N4 but I was unable to receive calls or to do one. The only things that I've done is to wipe everything and to flash the two zip.

Now I would test one more time but what can I do to make/receive calls, I've forgotten one steps or it's not functionnal ? Thanks !

EDIT: I've seen that the call function is not supported with a locked SIM, how can I unlock my SIM card to use the call function please ?

Last edited:

Greg2013

Jul 20, 2013
Is Ubuntu fully functional on the nexus 7. Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9505G using xda app-developers app

akI*

Aug 13, 2013
Just one question.

Latest daily build on my nexus 4. I have a data.csv where i stored all my contacts from my previous phone but have no clue how i can add it to ubuntu touch. There maybe was a way as i can read here at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/ReleaseNotes#Contacts but i dont have /usr/share/demo-assets/contacts-data/ anymore.

What i did before was adding the most frequently used contacts by hand and saved that so that im able to do some calls. Some days later i exported my complete contact list to data.csv file. Today i wanted to store it in /usr/share/demo-assets/contacts-data/ but there is no folder contact-data anymore :silly:

Also the
Code:
manage-address-books.py
function seems to be not working as i recieve
Code:
manage-address-books.py: command not found

I asked almighty google already but there are only post/links where i read the same like in the ubuntu wiki (/usr/share/demo-assets/contacts-data/data.csv) or about how to import google contacts to touch which i cant because i dont have google@gmail account...

It seems that there must be another path to store my contacts now? :confused:

Is there a way to import my data.csv??? :confused:

AceofSpades90

Sep 6, 2011
Ok so i have a question regarding the core system and where it stands when it comes to utilizing the General Processing of GPU? Is OpenCL being used in the Ubuntu Touch code or will the option be provided in SDK? Nexus 10, Galaxy S4 and Note 3 DOES support OpenCL and as it stands, there are more devices to come that are/will use it.

Also, one of the issues with modern apps is support for multi-core hardware, will this be looked at?

P1_e85

May 24, 2013
Chicago, IL
@ lordcheeto03 keep up the S4 port I too am very interested in getting the dual boot working. This was only thread I found the S4 mentioned, I'm not that great with development but am learning. So if there is some I can help with let me know. Also if you can point me in the right direction to start my own port that would be great.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Top Liked Posts