[Help Thread][ChromeOS] Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

naack

Mar 28, 2005
Hello, i have an HP Chromebook 11 G4 it shows that it's pending updates to be compatible with Android apps. I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

Question: is there a custom ROM that can be flashed on these Chromebooks, a slim ROM maybe that can also support Android apps ?

Reactions: galaxys

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
Samsung Galaxy Watch
OnePlus 10 Pro
Hello, i have an HP Chromebook 11 G4 it shows that it's pending updates to be compatible with Android apps. I'm guessing that's not going to happen.

Question: is there a custom ROM that can be flashed on these Chromebooks, a slim ROM maybe that can also support Android apps ?
Unfortunately, never have seen any custom roms here for the Chromebook....

naack

Mar 28, 2005
I'm clearly a noob to Chromebooks custom firmware ? Or add APK support ? Something ?.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ChromeOS

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Topic
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
    Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    Hi xda,
    i have a couple questions about running linux on a Chromebook. First of all, after i have downloaded linux, what is a chroot and how do i use it to download apps like minecraft, skype, etc. Basically, what is chroot and what can i do with it. thanks you!
    http://chromeunboxed.com/install-native-apps-on-your-chromebook-with-ubuntu-linux/

This is a detailed walk through.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Edit: Just realised I am duplicating johnjingle above. Apologies! Thought I had clicked johnjingle's link and found it to lead to a different thread. My mistake - Too many tabs, tiny phone screen.

ok recently at one of the government surplus auctions i bought 3 samsung chrome books for 10 bucks with no charger..
    and that was about 3 months ago.. i put them on a shelf and just now got around to messing with them.. and i find there all administrate force enrolled locked to the school district they came from [...]

I can't post a link at the moment but if you google "ifixit managed chromebook" (without quotes) you will find a guide/walkthrough you can try. Basically it involves opening the device, removing the write-protect screw on the motherboard, pulling the battery for 30 seconds, then putting the device in developer mode and in a root shell using vpd-l to view current serial#, & vpd-s to write new.
    ok recently at one of the government surplus auctions i bought 3 samsung chrome books for 10 bucks with no charger..
    and that was about 3 months ago.. i put them on a shelf and just now got around to messing with them.. and i find there all administrate force enrolled locked to the school district they came from..
    ok no biggie i call the school district. and talk to the boys in there it department and he informs me he cant do any thing for me do to the schools security policy but he does confirm there all legal and they just upgrades the districts chrome books to some thing else... i press him further about deenrolling these ones i have and he tells me it cost them money with google to do so.. so again he cant help me..

so..what do i do.. did i just buy 3 paper weights?

ive tried every thing.. that i can find.. heck i even called him back to see if i brought it in if he would at least enable the disabled modes..

any thoughts would be great.

@wishinew

You could try this:

http://xdaforums.com/hardware-hacking/chromebooks/how-to-remove-enterprise-enrolment-acer-t3233013