Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to

Planet Computer's
Cosmo Communicator

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
attachment.php
List of supporters
...​
...​
...​
...​

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.​
If you have ROM-related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!​
Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​
Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

Last edited:

5ph1nx

Sep 13, 2010
Wouldn't loading linux as the only OS remove all the baked in security issues in the unit? The only reason I want to buy one is to run linux on a pocket-able machine. Id just go with something like the GPD pocket but last one I had bricked and it doesn't have a backlit keyboard for low light situations.

Reactions: sd_shadow

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
From email
Cosmo Firmware Update

We are currently testing a new Android and Cover Display (CoDi) firmware update that should reach your device in the next few days.

Among bug-fixes and new functionalities we are releasing the multi-boot menu/partitioner that we introduced a few weeks ago and some security enhancements.

The flash memory partitioning tool, together with the multi-boot menu will allow you to repartition your Cosmo's flash memory and will give you the option to install other operating systems alongside Android.

Linux Update

The Linux firmware is not ready yet, but the Linux community is working hard on it and we hope to see its release very soon.

Following the next Android firmware update release, we will publish it on our website for you to download. The next Android firmware update will prepare your Cosmo Communicator for multi-boot multi-OS operation. So, as soon as the first Linux firmware Cosmo is released, you will be able to install Linux on your device.

Security Update

On the security side, some of you have contacted us regarding the Android firmware update application present on the Cosmo Communicator.

A software developer has recently discovered a security vulnerability in the firmware update software used in the Cosmo Communicator that can be potentially exploited by a malicious Android application running on the Cosmo communicator. The full technical post is available here: https://wuffs.org/blog/digitime-tech-fota-backd...

In addition, there have been a few discussions regarding user privacy and the collection of information on Planet Computers devices. First of all, let us assure you that Planet Computers has never collected information from Gemini PDA or Cosmo Communicator devices. This is not what Planet Computers is about.

Cosmo Communicator uses a custom firmware update software for Android written by a company called Digitime. Our manufacturing partner in China has worked many years with Digitime - on the Gemini PDA, on the Cosmo Communicator and also on many other products. They trust Digitime, their software update mechanism and never had problems with them.

However, the vulnerability brought to light has concerned us and we immediately asked for clarification. The explanation given to us from the vendor is that the code containing the security issue was designed to hot-fix the software update application itself in case of serious bugs.

Irrespective of this explanation, we asked Digitime to remove the vulnerable code and a new release of the software update application has been delivered to Planet, where the vulnerable code has been completely removed. We have now tested the new firmware update app and it will be part of the next Cosmo Android firmware update.

We would like to thank Ash Wolf not just for contacting us about the discovered vulnerabilities, but also for helping us confirm that identified security risks on the Cosmo are now solved in the coming Cosmo Android firmware update that is currently under test.

More from us in the next few days....

Best regards,

Team Cosmo

OranAgra

Jan 14, 2009
Firmware upgrade fails after rooting.

@kineyDE I followed your rooting instructions and it worked great. Thanks.
One thing I didn't expect it that it did factory reset (maybe worth updating your post).
Anyway now, a few days later a new firmware was released, and the upgrade fails.
I'm guessing it's because of the OEM unlocking or the rooting itself (since I did that the device shows some warning message on startup).
Anyone knows how to fix this? or temporarily undo all the effects of this rooting method so that I can upgrade?

kineyDE

Jan 25, 2017
@OranAgra: actually I have the update issues. Haven't found time to look into it. I will probably hack around when official Linux support is released.
I will add the info about the factory reset, thanks. I didn't really notice myself as I always root my phones before using them productively.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
From email
Cosmo Firmware update

We have released the latest Cosmo Android firmware update (V19) yesterday morning. This update includes the fix for the identified security vulnerability in the Firmware Update App and also readies the device firmware for multi OS boot. There are also minor updates to system apps and modules.

The next CoDi firmware update will be released tomorrow (Monday). This CoDi firmware update improves some cover display stability issues and also introduces cover display Navigation Mode, when Google Maps navigation is used. The updated Cover Display Assiastant app will notify you when the CoDi firmware update becomes available.

More from us next week!

Best regards,

Team Cosmo

Sent from my mata using XDA Labs

masterhaides

Apr 2, 2007
www.kali.org
Wouldn't loading linux as the only OS remove all the baked in security issues in the unit? The only reason I want to buy one is to run linux on a pocket-able machine. Id just go with something like the GPD pocket but last one I had bricked and it doesn't have a backlit keyboard for low light situations.

I too have had a GPD Pocket. My first one only lasted a month, but they replaced it under warranty. second one lasted until I got a GPD MicroPC. I'm not sure which one I like more, but they are both great computers. What they lack is a cellular modem (ala Sim Tray) and a fingerprint scanner. Either one of those could be added via USB.

However, since we're not talking about computers, the Cosmo scratches an itch, but nobody is doing any development for it. You're talking about around 4500 end users. Of which, how many come here?

My Cosmo is sitting in the box. I will look at getting an FXTec Pro1 soon.
Android is fine, I just don't need backdoors to my personal info that anyone can utilize.

5ph1nx

Sep 13, 2010
I too have had a GPD Pocket. My first one only lasted a month, but they replaced it under warranty. second one lasted until I got a GPD MicroPC. I'm not sure which one I like more, but they are both great computers. What they lack is a cellular modem (ala Sim Tray) and a fingerprint scanner. Either one of those could be added via USB.

However, since we're not talking about computers, the Cosmo scratches an itch, but nobody is doing any development for it. You're talking about around 4500 end users. Of which, how many come here?

My Cosmo is sitting in the box. I will look at getting an FXTec Pro1 soon.
Android is fine, I just don't need backdoors to my personal info that anyone can utilize.

I was thinking of getting the micropc due to the ports, but the issue I have is its literal pocket-ability. While the Gpd pocket did fit in a cargo pocket it was snug and that was fine, but I need something I can literally stick on a pocket and use easily on the go. The micropc looks great but the keyboard style makes me think more along the lines of phone than pocket pc. The Cosmo really does scratch an itch but the price and known vulnerabilities and small market do factor in. The FXtec pro1 would be an option if you could load linux natively and might even beat out the cosmo if it did. But that click laptop like board on the cosmo reminds me of the Psion I never could afford.

As for radios sure that is a major factor, but as long as it has decent Wi-Fi I could use my unlimited phone albeit draining 2 devices. Either way this segment for me will not replace my BlackBerry key2 le rather allow me full computing where my surfacebook really can't go easily.

Last edited:

masterhaides

Apr 2, 2007
www.kali.org
I was thinking of getting the micropc due to the ports, but the issue I have is its literal pocket-ability. While the Gpd pocket did fit in a cargo pocket it was snug and that was fine, but I need something I can literally stick on a pocket and use easily on the go. The micropc looks great but the keyboard style makes me think more along the lines of phone than pocket pc. The Cosmo really does scratch an itch but the price and known vulnerabilities and small market do factor in. The FXtec pro1 would be an option if you could load linux natively and might even beat out the cosmo if it did. But that click laptop like board on the cosmo reminds me of the Psion I never could afford.

As for radios sure that is a major factor, but as long as it has decent Wi-Fi I could use my unlimited phone albeit draining 2 devices. Either way this segment for me will not replace my BlackBerry key2 le rather allow me full computing where my surfacebook really can't go easily.

Keyboard on the MicroPC is a bit cramped, but the touchpad is very nice and works holding it in two hand quite well. It also is ABS plastic instead of metal, like the Pocket. The original Pocket banged on my leg as I walked and left my leg sore. The MicroPC is softer and more comfortable to carry in the pocket.

It still lacks the above mentioned missing differences between either GPD and a Cosmo or FXtec.

I want Sailfish!

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
From email update
Dear Cosmo backers!

Here are the latest news from the Cosmo team...

Over-the-air Android firmware Update

We are aware that some of you have issues upgrading the Android firmware of their Cosmo Communicator. This is most likely due to a misconfiguration of the software update server, which will be dealt with top priority early next week when people will come back to work from their Chinese New Year holidays. Unfortunately, until then this issue is completely outside our control.

As mentioned in the previous update, we are also working on a new system to replace the current software update mechanism with an in-house solution, which will give us more flexibility.

A first software update prototype has already been built and in the next few weeks we will shape it into a full-feature product. When ready, the new update mechanism will be released as a normal FOTA update, so the update will be transparent to users.

In the meantime, please do not attempt to update the firmware using any other method as the update files may not be compatible with your Cosmo OS version and may cause your Cosmo not to boot or function properly.

Similarly, please do not attempt to use Gemini Linux or other OS images on your Cosmo.

DJ_smooth

Feb 25, 2011
Houston
Considering getting one. Have one question about LTE bands
The website at https://store.planetcom.co.uk/products/cosmo-communicator lists one in stock as "US Keyboard with UK Plug" and then it lists a couple of US versions for pre-order, a "T-Mobile, ATT, Sprint" version, and a "Verizon, ATT, Sprint" version

Below that there is are a few LTE band lists labeled LTE FDD (Japan), LTE FDD (EUSA), and LTE (VE).

Is it safe to assume that the the (EUSA) version is the T-Mobile, ATT, Sprint version and the VE version is Verizon?

I'm a USA ATT user and don't really care about the charger if that is the only difference between the in stock version and the pre-order T-Mobile, ATT, Sprint version.

Anybody know for sure / know where I can find more detailed info about the pre-order version?
Thanks,
David

varun.gid

Jun 18, 2008
Dubai
Hi guys! I need help! Suddenly my cover display doesn't work. I tried to do an update it failed and then it said cover display connection error. I did a factory reset still it doesn't help. Cover display is off. Please please need help

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hi guys! I need help! Suddenly my cover display doesn't work. I tried to do an update it failed and then it said cover display connection error. I did a factory reset still it doesn't help. Cover display is off. Please please need help
You updated the pda or the cover display?
They are separate updates
You factory reset the pda or the cover display?

varun.gid

Jun 18, 2008
Dubai
Open cover display assistant/advanced
Select reset cover display

I did this. Doesn't work. I did factory reset from PDA. How to factory reset cover display? I can't turn it on. I tried to Update Cover display only since it gave me a notification. I'm stuck now without cover display.

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I did this. Doesn't work. I did factory reset from PDA. How to factory reset cover display? I can't turn it on. I tried to Update Cover display only since it gave me a notification. I'm stuck now without cover display.
use the app named cover display assistant

Sent from my Cosmo_Communicator using XDA Labs

Mks1967

Feb 8, 2020
Having my Cosmo since feb 2 and had all recent updates going in almost without problems, now when real world (mine obviously) test has come, I must say that unfortunately, for me, the units does not perform. Two main issues here, one is the screen rotation; most apps I must use (no alternative) work only in portrait and the OS struggles to manage that, even after using alternative methods to the ridiculous "force rotation" option, like tasker and rotate pro, onece the app is in portrait the screen refresh and jumps are just unacceptable. The second issue is again related with the lack of usability in portrait, when you spend 100% of your commute time driving and have to attend/check emails and messages (I know, in an ideal world things are different) and switch quickly between apps and maps and calls, things you seemingly do with most last generation devices, the Cosmo becomes simply useless. Unfortunately, with my requirements, which happen to be shared by all people I know, the unit will either go back to his box and into my personal museum of mobile devices or on sale. A word for Planet guys: the idea and concept is excellent, specially for those who have a certain age and buying capacity, but precisely those people don't live in the ideal world you designed the unit for, but in one that requires certain basic functionalities that you either missed or intentionally removed or prevented.

masterhaides

Apr 2, 2007
www.kali.org
Shift + Fn + R will rotate the screen from landscape to portrait and vice versa without the need for third party apps. You can leave it in portrait if you wanted to.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to

Planet Computer's
    Cosmo Communicator

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.​
    If you have ROM-related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!​
    Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

first impressions and rooting

Hi,

hope this thread is the right place - I'm new to posting on xda developers (but been reading here sometimes for a long time).
    I received my Cosmo on tuesday (2019-11-26).
    Overall I'm happy with the device. The keyboard is good and I can actually touch type with it - obviously not as fast as on a full sized one. But Sometimes it misses characters, expecially the space bar.
    The german layout is a bit awkward for umlauts. To Type "ä" you have to press "Fn+a", for "ü", "Fn+u" and so on. There is only one Fn key on the left side so fluid typing of especially "ü" and "ß" is difficult.
    Software on the cover display feels like an early beta. Very slow and e.g. music controls don't work with all music players - but it has it's value for checking the time or answering calls (and seeing who's calling beforehand).
    Battery life is pretty bad but surprisingly unaffected by usage.
    ... well, it's a low volume device so I'm ok with the downside. And I hope some will be fixed.
    Planet computers promised to release officially rooted images and linux support etc.... it's not there yet.
    But rooting was pretty straight forward:
    • activate "OEM unlocking" in developer settings
    • install magic manager
    • adb reboot bootloader
    • fastboot flashing unlock
    • reboot to bootloader again (not sure if necessary)
    • fastboot flash boot boot-magisk.img

(most people seem to use SP Flashtool, but it worked for me with fastboot which is open source)

I got the boot-magisk.img from here:
    https://www.oesf.org/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=35879&view=findpost&p=292918
    https://mega.nz/#!U8sFVACI!J-TS3q11Hak-zWt1_nyTyv4m87GkV1YIVDipez05BvE

When planet releases debian images I will try them out.

If you have any questions feel happy to ask.

edit:
    the process does a factory reset. So back up your data!
    What filesystem do you have on the sd card?
    The Android version is missing some filesystem drivers e.g. exfat and ntfs.
    I have 64GB sd card formatted with vfat(32) and it works withoud any problems.
    Still waiting for mine in the UK
    Muti-boot and Linux Cosmo support update

From email

Muti-boot and Linux Cosmo support update

In this update we would like to discuss plans regarding Linux support on the Cosmo Communicator.

With the Gemini PDA, Planet offered experienced users the ability to install Linux on the device, by connecting it to a desktop or laptop computer and flashing the device manually.

With the Cosmo Communicator we want to improve the user experience when installing a custom OS, such as Linux. To do that we upgraded two key components, the LK and the recovery mode.

The updated recovery mode can be used to partition the storage space of the Cosmo Communicator - see the option "Change the partition table of your COSMO" in the picture below.
    2QUg0cwbFQdKCIn7K3iUMZkfDtkj4NpwLL1_0CVhmXGDeX8b6AgWRcAvDCkhclUF2nwZ6CNSbSKCPXfzF8_r4Zlxb7CjbphGJkFlhdStrR4946jR-XuQgtgA4ChrPaoiOVhsWg5Px-pYEGBKcn2uTBV1J0hIPa6e1RFqpBlM85hk=s0-d-e1-ft

This will allow the user to reserve space for the Linux operating system. As you can see in the picture below, there are currently 5 options:

1. Reserve all space for Android
    2. Reserve 90GB for Android and 30GB for Linux
    3. Reserve 60GB for Android and 60GB for Linux
    4. Reserve 30GB for Android and 90 GB for Linux
    5. Reserve all space for Linux

ilIcFMuSo7FIKL5J4ZfLz9PGDRYI8sLR_iDoa9fx5cSv6LHTvm8yi0HGZ20fyON5AUFHF8a8wqoOp3DyLytEHSuy0rMywEhBP4VrF-5CYxNLXvonV8SxTNAUP_JyUGMhB18YLSqEKpWzv95azB05vTv9cNIbUR2VKb8bcyYF9FIr=s0-d-e1-ft

Once the storage for Linux has been reserved, you can install a custom OS on your Cosmo, by choosing the related option as in the picture.

0ThU13V-0jirOaRKZzVYFQtH2ix0Z_9T2OoOZm5HURq77a1_YG1USTQf-T2JEjcNSP7ygDc4Xg2MRdm3GqIC5dsR77i7KwXAi_ayz2aEYVJaw3LYid5eYHvcE3N6Ccz28jElptKGbeU-8SwO2659Emr-LABCfdMbYrYyM8EgrC7b=s0-d-e1-ft

This option will scan the microSD card for compatible installers and will present you with a menu showing the available installers as in the picture below.

jDoeJXdlTKALLt2DGWeHjYyLhJXvlAz6QfgRNEDyO78SrPT2ONuBEvE9R-f4pNAXcDUNzvMA1h44lLs6gbUnW_p8fcrGkgJOah5x1AcIdbri7ecfA9N8sb091_32jy1uAnJWM0n7fTf-qGhvdpuNTl1sdORHrjF4GOdp_BS8B00o=s0-d-e1-ft

Whenever new or updated custom operating systems will be available for the Cosmo, you will be able to download them into a micro SD card and install it in your device.

At the moment we have initial support for the following:

1. TWRP (Team Win Recovery Project)
    2. Debian using KDE/Plasma
    3. Debian using LXQT
    4. Rooted Android

Once you select a custom OS you have to select where to install its boot firmware as shown below.

There will be 3 extra boot partitions that can host custom boot firmware.

FnB6ouECyFT7B5SJoJAC2s-fZscieJ4K70bawvpLRrwcRd2uMW02ZDaJmfqkU40YEPLtWGF0Pl4L9QhMXBSAJbPOKPxGBeTRBjuakKivPHiWUG_noE00NOzAaLU-zptxrJkrbmM1dK8QyxJnzZtRb_atadjU0DgzmvnrMxtWI2G9=s0-d-e1-ft

Once you select the boot partition, the custom OS will be installed on your Cosmo Communicator. A boot menu will then appear when you turn ON the device, allowing you to choose what to start as in the following picture. The boot menu is integrated in the modified LK firmware.

VPkTLOMLQYXwHnWkxF9n-uBqWDRrOwRJrHmPFf-jtg7xNrVdPomLzuNDYvjzrl2E3__2VK9lefWczR-ZDgEvRhP5sl3fTQBYOx1SOZQz433L-GRSODS-9CW9A3AQJA8GXymxb-IP2SR3DhbmRJTK2DPe3pwxkMUv7Thh-1QY8sLg=s0-d-e1-ft

Using this method you will be able to install a custom OS such as Linux on your device without the need for a laptop or a desktop computer. All you need to do is to download the installer in a micro SD card and use the recovery mode to start the installation.

Finally, a big thank you to our open source community (in particular to Sean, Adam and Nikita) which is working hard to get other operating systems supported on the Cosmo. In the following screenshot you can get a preview on what the community is working at the moment. We will provide a detailed Linux status update in the coming weeks. Stay tuned!

VIBYUvUiLugl691LK7sotUg0gT7N4bxIKUMM3N2w6GF_vz4Px0Kaa_L7VmR02U_OITgJh687c6TB4Pcw9ILWMolUkmSuPQsYZBfahAtfMBfNKsHBXYZVZRwy7Al9725CM9Bd4ovHlurNopae3jcpP7wvrTN7ae0Tde5v1Sq4KHJ_=s0-d-e1-ft

UKXiuvkv0O5w_0t3iTGiqBKWRptdFLlvGf5MWei1kQ7ZGPm4I6ZucXb9ZJ8DhS8NKE0_9RSptWmeXcthn13-XGg1LQxpu8haUnie_WoHJ4P30Dg1ibCAi2RrP7WkQIoDdJF1FNgBU71tG-BRhRfWFJMAsHehoxKGFEjci9TL21p9=s0-d-e1-ft

0lGj5p9xsIzlhzSpKifNtMZKHIobgy6fycZl-kCb9qeL351duBLoOJegJC4_T4MmpY1kjX99EJMOAlL8qywPPyVUwAIizo5uKgVru5Ad6njKN3lGgi3LYCmAnBQrziDrLWQZlx7NU3F7sQQ9raSNDLx_l35WILmqFeZXDnWJtmLp=s0-d-e1-ft

YljjfwelH3Y3J2_iyxCskGfC3m9QCbqYJB0J3ze2PbIKtA0aqNinludR6TvZD3wjHSpr5HPstZFL6sMmo4ujR48k0cprks49cnlPgzEVJwZpZlSDHinIehv4M9QJNbl6KqMr32ZLUEr5JmLs9KzHAxWKc8E_we-q_Aa_9VDRs3tz=s0-d-e1-ft

More from us this still this week. There will be another update later this week updating you on the over the air firmware update and Cosmo shipping.

Best regards,

Team Cosmo