[Help Thread][Fire 7](7th Gen/2017)Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

tegan1110

Oct 18, 2012
Any pointers on the whole "shorting" the connectors process, when unlocking bootloader? I'm inside one of tablets now and am planning on completing the procedure ASAP, just a little unsure about the whole paperclip shorting thing... Don't wanna fluff it up!!!

arceusg

Mar 11, 2015
confused austin owner

Hi everyone,

I have a 2017 Kindle Fire 7 on FireOS 5.3.6.4, and I'd like to load a custom ROM on it. Is that possible? If not, is there a way to remove the Amazon apps and disable ads? I've seen some guides on how to do it for 5.4+, but mine is still on 5.3.

Thanks!

EDIT: Never mind, figured it out. Big thanks to the people who came up with this exploit. It took a while to short VDD1 but I eventually got it.

Last edited:
Reactions: DB126

DGP_Maluco

Jul 10, 2010
Hello guys,

One question, I have a 7th Gen sitting here, and I have the following problem, I boot the tablet up and I see the Logo an everything looks alright till it is supposed to show the lock screen, then it only displays a black screen and you see it's on because of the light on the back, press the power button it turns off, press again the light comes on. If I hold the power button, it shows me the Cancel and Shutdown menu, so Screen/LCD is working.

I can also get into recovery (Vol / Pwr Btn) and I already factory resetted it, I was able to get to the First Initialization screen, then I shut the tablet down, boot it again, same happens (BUT sometimes it works normally, if I keep restarting it sometimes it shows the normal screen) I'm guessing it is a software issue???

What could I do here? Thanks

Hamsloth

Aug 19, 2019
is it possible to use SD card as internal ?

8 gb is too small ... ( actually its 3gb .. since when i looked .. it says 5gb.. but half of it is eaten with amazon apps.. so 3gb left )

rlindsley

Feb 11, 2011
Kindle Fire 7 rebooting loop after flashing

HI there,

I have a Kindle Fire 7 and it's stuck in a constant reboot loop. Nothing shows on the Kindle screen - the only way I know it's rebooting is because I have the device plugged into my PC and it's making the USB device on/device off sounds.

I was attempting to downgrade the Fire using amazon7gentool_v1.8. I asked to downgrade to FireOs 5.4.0. The flashing was successful at which point I did the data wipe and cleared the cache. When I restarted is when the on/off loop began.

The file I flashed was from the Amazon servers and is called "update-kindle-55.5.7.9_user_579225620.bin"

I've tried holding the power button down, holding the power button in combination with the volume-up, and holding the volume-up button - all while plugging the device into a charger.

I've also checked the Windows Device Manager to see if I could find any info. When the Kindle is powered on, it shows up in Device Manager as "mt65xx preloader."

I've searched everywhere but can't find any instructions that are applicable to my situation.

Any tips would be much appreciated! I'd love to get this unbricked, and ultimately get a regular Android tablet build installed.

Thanks,
Robert.

I used amonet to install TWRP on my Fire 7 7th gen, and installed the AOSP Fire Nexus ROM from this thread. Now my headphones aren't detected. They're Skullcandy headphones with a 3.5mm jack (in-line mic and play button) and they work with all other devices, including my Fire 7 before I hacked it with amonet. Now I plug them in and they're not detected, instead the sound continues to play through the speakers. Does anyone else have the same issue and any advice or help? They work perfectly when I install Fire OS revamped or the stock Fire OS ROM, but I hate Fire OS and would much rather use a proper Android ROM.

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I used amonet to install TWRP on my Fire 7 7th gen, and installed the AOSP Fire Nexus ROM from this thread. Now my headphones aren't detected. They're Skullcandy headphones with a 3.5mm jack (in-line mic and play button) and they work with all other devices, including my Fire 7 before I hacked it with amonet. Now I plug them in and they're not detected, instead the sound continues to play through the speakers. Does anyone else have the same issue and any advice or help? They work perfectly when I install Fire OS revamped or the stock Fire OS ROM, but I hate Fire OS and would much rather use a proper Android ROM.
Common issue with custom ROMs on latest Amazon platforms. So far no one has been able to resolve. Likely a kernel issue linked to proprietary hw 'drivers'. First I heard Nexus suffered from this problem but most installations are on 5th gen (Ford). Might give Lineage a go which seems to be favored by Austin owners.

I’m unable to install the LineageOS ROM for some reason. Also, I was mistaken: it doesn’t work in any ROM any more, even Fire OS. So I guess it’s a hardware fault (ie the jack’s detection switch not working). However, I found an Xposed module called “XOverrideHeadphoneJackDetection”, I’ll try it out and if that doesn’t work I might just hardmod my device to permanently output all audio through the headphone jack.

EDIT: The module didn’t work but NVM, I installed Lesser Audioswitch instead and it works perfectly. I have a persistent notification where I can toggle headphone output when necessary, now I can finally watch Breaking Bad on my way to school again!

Last edited:

Methanoid

Aug 10, 2005
Is nobody using 2017 models now?

I debloated mine ages ago using guide here https://forum.xda-developers.com/am...017-7th-gen-downgrade-debloat-t3699937/page14

Of course now I cannot update FireOS and I see that according to Wikipedia Android 7.1 FireOS is out : 6.5.3.4 – September 2019: Last version for Fire 7 (7th generation)
But Amazon page says otherwise only offering "Fire (7th Generation) FireOS 5 | FireOS 5.3.7.0"

Is anyone using 6.5.3.4 successfully? Is there any debloat util for that?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Is nobody using 2017 models now?

I debloated mine ages ago using guide here https://forum.xda-developers.com/am...017-7th-gen-downgrade-debloat-t3699937/page14

Of course now I cannot update FireOS and I see that according to Wikipedia Android 7.1 FireOS is out : 6.5.3.4 – September 2019: Last version for Fire 7 (7th generation)
But Amazon page says otherwise only offering "Fire (7th Generation) FireOS 5 | FireOS 5.3.7.0"

Is anyone using 6.5.3.4 successfully? Is there any debloat util for that?
Please don't cross post the same question in multiple threads.

2017 Fire 7 models are still widely sold and used.

Amazon does not update FireOS generations on Fire tables (at least not since the FireOS v3 ->v4 fiasco on 3rd/4th gen devices). To score FireOS v6 you will need to purchase a new device.

If you want to migrate to a higher Android base you will need to unlock device bootloader and install a custom ROM.

Tomrob62

Jul 24, 2022
Hi. Fire HD10 2017. Downloaded toolbox, followed all the instructions about allowing debugging. Complete debloat - no problem. Downloaded the google play services but when trying to install them on the tablet i get a push failure. its the same for all 4 apks under the google service box.

conbak49

May 7, 2012
Hi. Fire HD10 2017. Downloaded toolbox, followed all the instructions about allowing debugging. Complete debloat - no problem. Downloaded the google play services but when trying to install them on the tablet i get a push failure. its the same for all 4 apks under the google service box.
I used this method to install Playstore and it worked fine: https://www.howtogeek.com/232726/how-to-install-the-google-play-store-on-your-amazon-fire-tablet/

kyh0mpb

Aug 9, 2022
edit: I installed an earlier version of LineageOS on my austin Kindle Fire and the camera works. Hopefully it continues to do so.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Fire 7
    7th Gen/2017

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
    Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    FAQs

Currently there is no known root method - 14 July 2017
    There is no reliable way to stop updates, without rooting. - 14 July 2017
    see https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603 on how to add google framwork/playstore without root. - 14 July 2017
    Are there any way to root the newer version gen 7?? Are there any ROMs for this version fire gen 7 updated to 5.4.0.0??
    Nope. However, you can install a different launcher, the Google Play Store and/or remove access to most preinstalled apps. One or all of these actions can improve the daily experience for those dissatisfied with FireOS and the suite of services provided by Amazon.

Look through the General section for threads dealing with all of the above. Some representative links:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/amazon-fire-utility-tool-bloat-removal-t3641151

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/launcher-root-launcher-hijack-v2-t3561026

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603

https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-rid-ads-special-offers-lock-t3585863
    Dear Friend,
    I have bought Amazon Fire 7 few days ago...

I want to do
    Root,
    Install Best ROM or LineageOS ROM,
    Install Google Play Store,
    Disable Lock-screen Ads,
    Remove Amazon Bloatware,
    Improve Performance & Battery Backup...

Please help with this above mentioned issues...
    Thanks in Advance...

My Device Information :
    Amazon Fire 7 (7th Generation)
    Fire OS 5.4.0.0
    - can not root or install a custom ROM on that generation
    - contact Amazon to disable lock screen ads (here)
    - a limited version of Play Services/Store can be installed (here)
    - bloatware can be removed with some effort (here)
    - please make use of the many helpful threads in this forum for further guidance
    Hi MotoJunkie01, would you be able to post the bootloader images (aboot.img and tee or tz images)?

Modifying the boot.img shouldn't cause the qfuse to blow, however doing so will prevent the device from booting because the bootloader will perform a signature verification on the the boot.img to validate it's from amazon and that it hasn't effectively been tampered with. This will mean recovery of the device by sideloading stock amazon os.
    Yes @ggow, I have made a complete partition dump of this device (.img format), and I will be uploading all partition images in a separate thread, for which I will link here. Also thank you for your input.