[SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Fire HD 6 - 2014
&
Fire HD 7 - 2014

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
attachment.php
List of supporters
@sd_shadow
...​
To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
[SIZE=+3]Frequently Asked Questions[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+2]Amazon Fire HD 6 and 7[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This a short list of frequently asked questions in this device forum and the answers often given as a response. It should serve as a starting point for gathering knowledge and finding solutions to many common problems. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]Q1: How do I know if i have a Fire HD 7 (2014) ?[/SIZE]
The Fire HD 7 has Power and volume buttons on the side, VGA front-facing camera, Rear-facing HD camera.​

[SIZE=+1]Q2: How do I know if I have a Fire HD 6?[/SIZE]
The Fire HD 6 has Power and volume buttons on the side- VGA front-facing camera - Rear-facing HD camera.​

[SIZE=+1]Q3: How Do I root and install Twrp?[/SIZE]
*​
A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this FAQ

Last edited:
Reactions: Killa8

Jddiaz

Dec 7, 2015
Help

I blocked the kindle fire hd six lock ads using com.amazon.kindle.kso . Then an Ota update started I didn't think anything about it applied the update then went to a bootloop does com.amazon.kindle.kso have anything to do with this ?:confused:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I blocked the kindle fire hd six lock ads using com.amazon.kindle.kso . Then an Ota update started I didn't think anything about it applied the update then went to a bootloop does com.amazon.kindle.kso have anything to do with this ?:confused:
You blocked or used ?
adb hide com.amazon.kindle.kso
Should haven't caused a problem? Root?
May need to do a factory reset.
Maybe @DoLooper has suggestion?

Reactions: DoLooper

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014

You blocked or used ?
adb hide com.amazon.kindle.kso
Should haven't caused a problem? Root?
May need to do a factory reset.
Maybe @DoLooper has suggestion?
It wouldn't be from disabling com.amazon.kindle.kso. It sounds suspiciously like what's happening here, though. Jddiaz, were you rooted? Did you try to downgrade or do anything else after the upgrade was installed, or did it go into loop as soon as it rebooted at end of upgrade?

Reactions: sd_shadow

prophetizer

Nov 29, 2006
i rooted and updated the HD 6 no problem, but when i launch the play store, it shows Play Store | Work, There are no apps to install, since your administrator hasn't made any available to you yet

now, i can still search and install apps no problem, but can't get the default homepage. any idea why?

lhpkid192

May 29, 2014
I tried to root and install gapps follow this tutorial. Everything work perfectly.

One day, my Fire's battery was empty and it turned off. I charged it and when it started, it falt in bootloop. The screen show amazon about 8sec and reboot.

I booted into twrp and flashed only 2 files update-kindle-full_ariel-20.5.2.2_user_522053520 and supersu, try to make it work but it didn't

Now, when i hold power button , "Amazon" and then "Fire" appear and it stuck there.

I tried to get into recovery by power and volume+ but didn't work, the screen show "Amazon" and reboot and stuck on "Fire" again.

What should I do now?

Sorry about my English.

Revolve808

Dec 28, 2015
Hello,

I am currently running a rooted Fire HD 7 on update 4.5.3 and I would like to edit the build information so that it isn't seen as a kindle by apps and the market. I have been searching for solutions but I can't seem to find anything that made sense to me. I have no clue on how to go about doing this (how to change it and what to change it to) so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Revolve

Emerald9

Aug 6, 2015
Rooted, factory reset, now bricked

Hi,
I hope someone can help me. I had my mom's Fire HD 7 rooted running 4.5.4. I don't know what happened, but she factory wiped it. After that, the launcher's gone, I think, because all we saw was the settings menu. And here comes the stupid part...without knowing what I am doing, I used TWRP to restore a file called 2015-08-06--14-57-17_KTU84M_test-keys, and ended up with error 255!
And now when I boot the Fire up, I'm stuck with the amazon logo (doesn't even get to the Fire logo).
However, I can still get into TWRP. I hope there's still hope.
And oh, I can't ADB either.
Please help this idiot newbie out.
TIA

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
Hi,
I hope someone can help me. I had my mom's Fire HD 7 rooted running 4.5.4. I don't know what happened, but she factory wiped it. After that, the launcher's gone, I think, because all we saw was the settings menu. And here comes the stupid part...without knowing what I am doing, I used TWRP to restore a file called 2015-08-06--14-57-17_KTU84M_test-keys, and ended up with error 255!
And now when I boot the Fire up, I'm stuck with the amazon logo (doesn't even get to the Fire logo).
However, I can still get into TWRP. I hope there's still hope.
And oh, I can't ADB either.
Wow! The only thing to try is to see if the device can be detected in TWRP's sideload mode: Plug into computer and go to "adb sideload" in TWRP. (You should be prompted to type "adb sideload...") Look at device manager and see if the tablet shows up anywhere (like under Other?). If you can find the device in device manager, update/install drivers and post back. If tablet doesn't show up in device manager, AFAIK you're out of luck. :(

Emerald9

Aug 6, 2015
Thank you DoLooper. I followed your advice and the device showed up as ariel with no drivers installed for it. Please advice.

Another thought I have is this...Under the Install option in TWRP, I can see the following files:
454_update.zip
pa_gapps-modular-pico(uni)-4.4.4-20150308-signeed.zip
UPDATE-superUS-v2.46.zip

Can I install any of the files here?
TIA
Wow! The only thing to try is to see if the device can be detected in TWRP's sideload mode: Plug into computer and go to "adb sideload" in TWRP. (You should be prompted to type "adb sideload...") Look at device manager and see if the tablet shows up anywhere (like under Other?). If you can find the device in device manager, update/install drivers and post back. If tablet doesn't show up in device manager, AFAIK you're out of luck. :(

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Thank you DoLooper. I followed your advice and the device showed up as ariel with no drivers installed for it. Please advice.

Another thought I have is this...Under the Install option in TWRP, I can see the following files:
454_update.zip
pa_gapps-modular-pico(uni)-4.4.4-20150308-signeed.zip
UPDATE-superUS-v2.46.zip

Can I install any of the files here?
TIA
probably need to manually select drivers in Device manager
similar to these instructions

Open device manager Settings>Devices>Device Manager

(If Kindle is not listed as Android>Android Composite ADB interface)
select Other Devices>Fire
Right Click>Update Driver Software
Browse my computer for Driver Software
Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer
select Android or Android Phone (or ADB Interface or Android Device)
Select Android Composite ADB interface for Stock rom or recovery/adb sideload
Select Android ADB interface for Fastboot mode
or Android Composite ADB interface
next
you may have to reboot pc

34dgcjb.png

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Emerald9

Emerald9

Aug 6, 2015
Thank you so much. I now have ADB sideload. Now I'm clueless as to what to do next? Please give me step-by-step instructions or if there a thread already covered this issue please let me know.
Thanks so much for the help

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

Emerald9

Aug 6, 2015

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
Please bear with me, but what file or files am I supposed to sideload? I'm really clueless as to where to go from here. At this point, I just want the Fire to be just as the day Mom bought it. I'll think about rooting it later. Thanks
When you sideload an update bin you'll lose root, so I suggest you install the rootable 4.5.3 update, which was probably on there originally. Get it at step 3 here: [http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/general/how-to-downgrade-to-4-5-3-root-device-t3139351]

Put the 4.5.3 update into the folder where you have adb.exe, turn off wifi and open a CMD window from the folder with the update. While in TWRP sideload mode, type adb devices. You should see "serialnumber . . . SIDELOAD".

On PC type: adb sideload <update bin name>. Be sure the sideload is complete, then reboot. If it reboots, type "adb devices" and make sure drivers are working. If not, install them again for this regular "OS" mode. Then type "adb reboot recovery" and be sure you can get into recovery. (I think this will be stock recovery now.)

Look at the root guides for commands to block OTA update so device doesn't update to 4.5.5. (Then you can easily root later if you want to.)

EDIT: @Emerald9 FYI: The reason you can't use that 4.5.4 update on the device is that it was modified to NOT update the bootloaders, so user would still have 4.5.3 bootloaders, which are the only ones that can boot TWRP. When you installed that strange-name file you overwrote the 4.5.3 bootloaders and when the new bootloaders found the unsigned TWRP in recovery, they refused to continue. This may not be the only problem caused by that file, but I'm hopeful that the sideload will fix things.

Last edited:

Emerald9

Aug 6, 2015
When you sideload an update bin you'll lose root, so I suggest you install the rootable 4.5.3 update, which was probably on there originally. Get it at step 3 here: [http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/general/how-to-downgrade-to-4-5-3-root-device-t3139351]

Put the 4.5.3 update into the folder where you have adb.exe, turn off wifi and open a CMD window from the folder with the update. While in TWRP sideload mode, type adb devices. You should see "serialnumber . . . SIDELOAD".

On PC type: adb sideload <update bin name>. Be sure the sideload is complete, then reboot. If it reboots, type "adb devices" and make sure drivers are working. If not, install them again for this regular "OS" mode. Then type "adb reboot recovery" and be sure you can get into recovery. (I think this will be stock recovery now.)

Look at the root guides for commands to block OTA update so device doesn't update to 4.5.5. (Then you can easily root later if you want to.)

EDIT: @Emerald9 FYI: The reason you can't use that 4.5.4 update on the device is that it was modified to NOT update the bootloaders, so user would still have 4.5.3 bootloaders, which are the only ones that can boot TWRP. When you installed that strange-name file you overwrote the 4.5.3 bootloaders and when the new bootloaders found the unsigned TWRP in recovery, they refused to continue. This may not be the only problem caused by that file, but I'm hopeful that the sideload will fix things.
Thanks so much. I will find some time to sit down and proceed as instructed tonight.

Emerald9

Aug 6, 2015

DoLooper

Oct 1, 2014
Did a little searching and came upon a similar issue. He solved by following this:
http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/general/upgrade-to-4-5-5-root-t3174449

Can I rename the file (from step #1) from zip to bin and adb sideload as before?
Hang on. I'm writing up steps for you right now.

EDIT: @Emerald9 No, leave filenames as "zip." What I was writing:

OK. I'm assuming it's correct that you know you can't get to the OS (where you could dowload files onto the device or install adb drivers).

I've not done this but I think(hope) it will work. Go here[http://xdaforums.com/fire-hd/general/upgrade-to-4-5-5-root-t3174449] and follow the steps beginning with step 1, except instead of flashing in TWRP use the TWRP sideload.

After step 1, manually reboot to recovery/TWRP. (Power off, then hold down power button and volume+)
At step 2a, you can sideload either the 4.5.3 or 4.5.5 update. Be sure to do step 2b. Skip Gapps. DO wipe cache and dalvik in TWRP.
Tap Reboot and System and look for prompt at top of TWRP "install super su?" and swipe the slider to say yes.

Let's hope you boot into OS!!! Post back for more info. Good luck!

EDIT2: @Emerald9 After step 1, you can do Reboot and then Recovery button in TWRP. Don't have to do manually

Last edited:
Reactions: Emerald9

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Fire HD 6 - 2014
    &
    Fire HD 7 - 2014

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    @sd_shadow
    ...​
    To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligible of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
    Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    OK, I am lost. I installed ADB on my PC and have achieved ADB access to my tablet. After doing tons of reading it seemed that that was a good first step as it seems that eventually you are going to have to ADB something.

But after reading all the different topics about rooting I was completely lost. They say that they are for noobs but from this noob I can say ... not so much. So throwing caution to the wind I just downloaded Kingroot from here, uploaded it to my tablet and ran it. To my surprise it rant fine and rooted me with no problems. I am running Fire OS 5.1.2 which, according to the tutorials I read, this should not have worked.

But now I have reached the end of my luck. I'd rather not keep Kingroot installed but it seems that if you remove it it removes root as it uninstalls. So how do I uninstall Kingroot and keep the tablet rooted? Or is there a different program I can use to achieve root that is able to be uninstalled afterward?

Secondly, not that it is rooted, how do install TWRP?

likely no twrp compatible with the 5.1.2 bootloader

once rooted with rootking, replaced with supersu
    2 options
    supersume app
    see rootjunky's supersume video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3DcpeS_Ic

or manually conversation
    http://www.w0lfdroid.com/2015/05/How-to-Remove-Replace-KingUser-KingRoot-with-SuperSU.html

Sent from my KFFOWI using XDA Labs
    Update (and to reserve this spot): Emerald9 used adb sideload in TWRP (instead of flashing) to install the files from @bibikalka's 4.5.5 update guide, did a factory reset, and successfully booted to OS 4.5.5.

Yay!!!

On another note, a cheap OTG cable would have been a solution as well, since TWRP nicely picks up files from the external USB drive.

To the credit of the original poster, he did not panic, and managed to get through the situation without any more damage! :D
    Please bear with me, but what file or files am I supposed to sideload? I'm really clueless as to where to go from here. At this point, I just want the Fire to be just as the day Mom bought it. I'll think about rooting it later. Thanks

Thank you so much. I now have ADB sideload. Now I'm clueless as to what to do next? Please give me step-by-step instructions or if there a thread already covered this issue please let me know.
    Thanks so much for the help
    you need to set up adb
    then
    Code:
    adb sideload filename
    basic instructions in my
    Fire Index: Which Amazon (Kindle) Fire Do I have?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk