[Help Thread][Fire HD 8 and HD 10](7th Gen/2017) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

RealPsygnosis

Oct 1, 2008
Taranto
OnePlus 7T
Is there a way a to permanetly stop my amazon fire hd 8 to reactivate amazon app or amazon laucher every day???
Every morning I find I new amazon app that I've disabled the day before, and the tablet start to be slower. if I let it do it for a number of days I have the amazon launcher again....
So...can someone tell me a way to deny Amazon to enable apps?

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Is there a way a to permanetly stop my amazon fire hd 8 to reactivate amazon app or amazon laucher every day???
Every morning I find I new amazon app that I've disabled the day before, and the tablet start to be slower. if I let it do it for a number of days I have the amazon launcher again....
So...can someone tell me a way to deny Amazon to enable apps?
Amazon toolbox may be of limited help. Rooting (and subsequent actions that are only possible with root) is the only surefire way to disable updates.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/development/official-amazon-fire-toolbox-v1-0-t3889604

NFSP G35

Feb 28, 2012
I bought 2 HD8 7th Gen tablets a couple of years ago on some crazy sale. I've only taken one of them out of the box - seemed either difficult or impossible to root it at that time but I installed Google Play and disabled OTA updates so it's still on 5.4.0.0. I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to unbox my second HD8 and root it. Can I do that without a Linux box? Is it still necessary to open the HD8 case? Are there very straightforward instructions somewhere for a near-noob? (I've looked through a couple of different threads here but I have trouble distinguishing between which instructions are current/relevant)

I think if you can boot it and get to the point of enabling developer options without ever connecting to the internet, then you can root it with MTK-SU without opening the case.
If you do end up having to open the case though, it's not too difficult.
I had (still have but don't really use anymore) 2 of the 2017 HD8s, and for one of them, I successfully did the 'open the case and short a test-pin' method very shortly after it was discovered.
Not long after, when @diplomatic built MTK-SU, I was able to use it on the 2nd tablet without having to pop the back off it.
As I understand it though, Amazon patched the vulnerability in a later version... however they can't patch the hardware vulnerability of the test-pin short method.

Reactions: lhuge

htp2005

Jun 19, 2020
Fire HD 10 2017 problem!

I have a pretty serious problem, can someone help me? I use Windows 7-32 bit. I have a Fire HD 10 tablet 64Gb 7th, when I updated to the lasted patch I tried to root it. But this failed and stuck at the "Fire" logo. This tablet has a broken power button so I cannot use "Hard reset", I use the shell to turn off the device. I have not enabled "Developer options", so it is not recognized when plugging in the device. Please, help me!
Hi4shif.jpg

htp2005

Jun 19, 2020
Add somes pictures

@htp2005 I don't recommend turning these off just make sure unnecessary things aren't running and put the screen to sleep.

Thanks for your advice, I have to wait for it to run out and turn itself off. I still got it: Amazon Kindle Recovery <3e> when I press the power button and the volume up button, in case I didn't press the power key, it ran to the boot screen and hung there. Is there any way to help me reload the stockroom?
R3LyZkE.jpg

ug208zB.jpg

KgBoyYS.jpg

lukemanhakim

May 2, 2011
Kuala Lumpur
Google Pixel 4a
hye please help,

is there anyway to install lineage OS to my fire hd8 7th gen
i read need twrp, but i seems cant find a solution for windows 10 pc on installing twrp to my fire hd8.
im on stock fire hd, just installed amazon fire toolbox 7.2 to remove some service (ads lock screem etc)

please help.

thank you.

LKJEFoi234

Dec 19, 2016
Hi, whats the most reliable root and bootloader unlock method for the Fire 8 HD 7th Gen 5.6.6.0 on WIndows? All the methods I've seen were done via Linux and I use windows.

hye please help,

is there anyway to install lineage OS to my fire hd8 7th gen
i read need twrp, but i seems cant find a solution for windows 10 pc on installing twrp to my fire hd8.
im on stock fire hd, just installed amazon fire toolbox 7.2 to remove some service (ads lock screem etc)

please help.

thank you.

This is the only current working method. All other methods regardless of firmware are outdated and not working anymore:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82921395&postcount=524

You will need to use Linux, which can be run from your Windows PC using a USB flash drive:

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/burn.html

Last edited:
Reactions: DB126

ryevick

Dec 12, 2010
You'll need to use Linux. A 'live' (usb bootable) drive is the easiest approach.

Is this true for the Fire HD 10 7th generation, Fire OS 5.6.6.0 (654620620) as well? Any solid root methods?

I'm planning on loading Linux Mint Cinnamon onto a USB to start learn learning Linux but I'm completely new to it.

Also, is it possible to wipe the Fire HD 10 7th generation, Fire OS 5.6.6.0 (654620620) and just run Linux Mint on it as the only OS if I want to do that later. I read somewhere that Android is based on Linux. I'd prefer Android rooted but would take Linux over the Fire OS.

Thanks

anon/droid

Jan 30, 2019
Ruhrgebiet
Is this true for the Fire HD 10 7th generation, Fire OS 5.6.6.0 (654620620) as well? Any solid root methods?
Apparently Fire OS 5.6.6.0 on the Fire HD 10 7th generation can be rooted with Kingoroot from within the running FireOS.

Read @drdtyc's posts #1148 and #1152 from the device specific thread plus perhaps a few additional pages which contain some messages referring to theses posts.

And no, you cannot simply run Linux instead of Android on these tablets.

nola mike

Aug 8, 2011
Plenty of gotchas. Custom ROMs for recent generations are often absent or immature. Root and/or bootloader unlocks are becoming more difficult. Think twice about snagging an Amazon gizmo if you are deep into modding.

Ended up getting one, half the price of a similar tab. Wow, what a POS that os is. I put on play store and launcher hijack. It was pretty much unusable. Slow, sucked down battery, unbelievably laggy. Finally decided it needed to be rooted. It actually was one of the easier devices that I've rooted. As of os 5.6.6.0 it's still easy to do. Latest rom is lineage 14/nougat, but it's super smooth and fast. Completely different device. I'm actually surprised at the difference even when just web browsing.

Reactions: DB126

Turkishflavor

Apr 12, 2011
my Fire HD 10 model sl056ZE is now rebooting constantly. Can't use it anymore after just updating magisk. Anyway to get the device running normally again? Thanks.

Used Datastream33,'sAmazon Kindle toolbox. Can't find or play media!

Amazon kindle noob here.
After using Datastream33,'s "Amazonkindle fire 10 toolbox" the tablet works fairly smoothly, BUT, no matter how I download content I want to read, or play, apps like kindle book reader, itunes,and CBR reader, (for comic books) the files I want to Read and play cannot be found by the apps. Also, when I use ES file explorer, I can find the files, but it will not let me move or copy them to anywhere (Never seen that before)
How can I connect my files to the apps that play or read them, or how can I move them to another folder where the apps can find them?
Thanks!

Quinnaay

Nov 2, 2013
downloaded chrome etc via the toolbox mod, i can log in to my google account on everything but when i click yes im in to sync my chrome account it does nothing, all permissions have been set, ive rebooted the devices and deregistered from Amazon account any ideas :(

nola mike

Aug 8, 2011
When I had this problem, I needed to log in with another account. when I did that, both accounts were then visible. But really, just go ahead and root the thing. it's easy, and it's way better than trying to mess around with these crappy workarounds.

Sent from my UNKNOWN using Tapatalk

Quinnaay

Nov 2, 2013
When I had this problem, I needed to log in with another account. when I did that, both accounts were then visible. But really, just go ahead and root the thing. it's easy, and it's way better than trying to mess around with these crappy workarounds.

Sent from my UNKNOWN using Tapatalk

what difference does rooting make? if so what root guide?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to

Fire HD 8 (KFDOWI)
    &
    Fire HD 10 (KFSUWI)
    7th Gen/2017

Note: Rather than create another thread, I just updated the thread title to include the 7th Gen HD 10.​
    Just remember they do have slightly different hardware. -4 March 2018​

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.​
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!​
    Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

Fire OS 5.3.1.0 was the last version to be rootable,
    for all Fires except the 7th gen HD 10.

Do not attempt to downgrade. - 7th Oct 2018

FAQs

Manual Update
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/general/unbrick-amazon-fire-hd-8-10-t3240034

Download Firmware
    7th Gen HD 8
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202144610

7th Gen HD 10
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202194760

Currently there is no known root method - 14 July 2017
    There is no reliable way to stop updates, without rooting. - 14 July 2017
    see https://forum.xda-developers.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603 on how to add google framwork/playstore without root. - 14 July 2017
    ...The apps aren't even installed to begin with, they were removed by the debloater.
    Therein lies the rub. Apps disabled via "pm uninstall -k --user 0 ..." and related varients remain on the device and cause untold headaches when trying to reenable / sideload. This is usually followed by a series of additional hacks that may or may not work and generally lead to further convolution.

Start with a fresh sheet. Only disable items you never intend to use/restore. If rooted perform a proper uninstallation.
    Hey guys, I hope this hasn't been asked a million times but I was wondering if this method of rooting the fire 10 with TWRP and Magisk is the best: https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/orig-development/unlock-fire-hd-10-2017-suez-t3913639 also I was wondering if this HD8 tut would work with my HD10 https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/general/tut-root-hd82018-via-magisk-t3906554

I have already rooted my tablet using a method involving ADB and Kingoroot(which gave me SuperSU) that I found here on XDA but I miss having a custom recovery like I have on my phone, same can be said for Magisk Manager. I want to know if you guys would recommend the above method linked. Admittedly I don't have a Linux but is it true I could install Linux on a USB and use it on Windows PC? Any advice would be massively appreciated! I know there isn't much difference between Magisk and SuperSU but if it can be done I wouldn't hesitate to reset my tablet and re root.

My Fire OS is 5.6.1.0 FYI. Sorry for the long post!
    The first one is the one you'd want to follow. Make sure to read it the instructions at least twice before beginning. The second one is not for the HD 10 2017, but for the HD 8 2018. Two completely different beasts.

I definitely recommend unlocking the tablet. It WILL wipe your device, and it WILL modify the GPT tables. I don't believe there's any FireOS version that it won't work on, so far. The newest firmware (5.6.40) requires a downgrade to unlock, but I don't think you'll need to go that far with 5.6.10. That being said, once done, you can flash TWRP, then flash Magisk via said recovery, as you already know. There's a rooted, deodexed stock ROM if you want to stick to FireOS. Not to mention there's also a LineageOS build for the HD 10, which is quite stable, though has some bugs. Definitely an improvement over FireOS, though!

As for Linux, yes, you can create a persistent live USB drive with Linux, which is perfect for this process. I used LiLi (LiveLinux Creator) with Ubuntu, I think it was. I do have to mention that Linux may not detect and install WiFi adapters (if you use any), even onboard ones. I had to use my phone's hotspot to download and install the required dependencies, since I didn't have any way to run a wired connection to my router.

Create a Linux live system with persistent storage via a bootable USB. Scroll to "How to Make a Persistent Ubuntu USB Drive on Windows."

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/

LineageOS 12.1: https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/orig-development/rom-lineage-12-1-t3953677
    Rooted, modified stock FireOS 5.6.40: https://forum.xda-developers.com/hd8-hd10/development/rom-t3929969

Read through the first posts of those before flashing, as well. The usual advice/warnings about voiding your warranty apply here, in the biggest way.

Good luck!
    Even a proper uninstall can cause issues. For example just uninstalling the parental apps without disabling the administrator, will cause headaches like the formentioned. From my experience, if you uninstall them, without clearing it's other settings or configs, it will disable security features one by one and eventually will just have to reflash. Amazon has a lot of apps setup in configs that don't normally exist. Finding those configs is not easy
    Spot on. This is not a generic Android ROM/device. It is an highly customized Amazon ecosystem portal that happens to look like a traditional tablet and uses some flavor of Android as a base OS. If their gizmos were hexagonal and ran Linux we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Bottom line: only disable stuff that gets in the way; leave everything else alone unless you lead a very dull life, have copious unstructured time and enjoy endless break/fix cycles.

Related: https://forum.xda-developers.com/am...reen-ads-fire-hd-8-2018-t3870408/post79187326