[Help Thread][Fire HD 8 and HD 10](7th Gen/2017) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

jjcdennis

Jun 20, 2015
Toronto
Amazon Fire HD 10 2017 - Running 5.6.7.0 - Am I Stuck With Amazon's OS

I got this device back from my wife a couple days ago and decided to investigate rooting and installing a rom, with the goal of clearing all the bloat crap on it. It had been sitting for a couple months unused. I charged it and turned it on and it started to update to 5.6.7.0 right away.
I have searched many threads here to try to find a reference to 5.6.7.0 and the possibility of rooting and installing Lineage on the device. I think I'm a bit screwed at this point, as I believe 5.6.7.0 was a major update to Android 7.1 and there may not be a rooting solution yet.
I would appreciate some advice as to the possibility of rooting/rom this device:
Can I root/install a rom with 5.6.7.0 on it?
If not, can I restore to an earlier version and then work on rooting and installing Lineage?
Do I have any other options with regards to cleaning Amazon's OS off this device?
FYI, I have been running AFTB on it which helps, but doesn't meet my bloat clearing goals.
Thanks.

luchazo

Oct 18, 2008
Help Thanks!

Hi all,
For a Fire HD 8, 2017, if I want it to be as close to a regular Android tablet, what should I do?

I already "semi-briked" it once, with the "stuck at logo" problem, and I fixed it thanks to some comments on this thread. Thanks!

So, I just wanted to know exactly what is the recommended approach not to fail again:
Is this the one for HD 8 2017?
https://xdaforums.com/hd8...-8-10-t3240034

Or I should follow another one?

Thanks
Luchazo

---------- Post added at 08:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 AM ----------

I got this device back from my wife a couple days ago and decided to investigate rooting and installing a rom, with the goal of clearing all the bloat crap on it. It had been sitting for a couple months unused. I charged it and turned it on and it started to update to 5.6.7.0 right away.
I have searched many threads here to try to find a reference to 5.6.7.0 and the possibility of rooting and installing Lineage on the device. I think I'm a bit screwed at this point, as I believe 5.6.7.0 was a major update to Android 7.1 and there may not be a rooting solution yet.
I would appreciate some advice as to the possibility of rooting/rom this device:
Can I root/install a rom with 5.6.7.0 on it?
If not, can I restore to an earlier version and then work on rooting and installing Lineage?
Do I have any other options with regards to cleaning Amazon's OS off this device?
FYI, I have been running AFTB on it which helps, but doesn't meet my bloat clearing goals.
Thanks.

Did you root yours?
I'm still at 5.6.6.0 as I cancelled the update to 5.6.7.0. Do you know a way to root Fire HD 8 2017 and install a better android version, closer to the regular android?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hi all,
For a Fire HD 8, 2017, if I want it to be as close to a regular Android tablet, what should I do?

I already "semi-briked" it once, with the "stuck at logo" problem, and I fixed it thanks to some comments on this thread. Thanks!

So, I just wanted to know exactly what is the recommended approach not to fail again:
Is this the one for HD 8 2017?
https://xdaforums.com/hd8...-8-10-t3240034

Or I should follow another one?

Thanks
Luchazo

To find your device codename if it's still bootable
Get Droid Info app from the Amazon Appstore. https://a.co/d/8NPjXzX
in the a General info/ Board:
will show the codename
Looking for Douglas, Giza, or Memphis...

Last edited:

andyboot

Nov 20, 2010
[HD8 7th gen] Downgrading From Fire OS 5.6.6.0 (654620620) Or Root Possible?

Hi there,

I've got a Amazon Fire HD 8 7th gen running Fire OS 5.6.6.0 (654620620) which I'm trying to downgrade and to attempt to root and flash TWRP.

It looks like after many hours of searching around forums that the current version of Fire OS may be hindering my efforts to successfully achieve this which is why I'm posting here as a last resort in the hope somebody has a little more experience and knowledge.

So here's what I've tried so far:

I'm at a loose end! Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Many Thanks,
Andy

CHolland8776

Nov 29, 2018
App Question

Hi all,

Noob here. I share a Fire HD 10 7th Generation with my wife. She has the primary user account and I have the secondary user account. I need to use MS Teams and she does not. I've successfully installed the Google Play Store on the tablet and I've downloaded Teams on her account. Is there a way to give my secondary account access to that app?

Here is what I've tried. First I tried to install the Google Play Store on my secondary account after installing it on the primary account. It would not install. I kept getting "Application not installed" when I tried to do so.

Second I uninstalled the Google Play Store from the primary account and successfully installed it on the secondary account. However every app that I tried to download kept stalling at "waiting for download" and would not proceed.

So I'm left with thinking that the only way the Google Play Store works is if it is installed to the primary account on the tablet. If that assumption is correct then is there a way to give a secondary account access to apps that were downloaded via the primary account?

Thanks!

Hijitus00

Oct 28, 2020
Can't update Alexa app

Hello everyone, I have Fire HD 10 (7th generation, OS 5.6.0.1) rooted since 2018. I have a problem with Alexa app, should I enable OTA update for this? Don't know how do that, I from Argentina, can anyone help me? (pic on //ibb.co/YRpKtcG )

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hello everyone, I have Fire HD 10 (7th generation, OS 5.6.0.1) rooted since 2018. I have a problem with Alexa app, should I enable OTA update for this? Don't know how do that, I from Argentina, can anyone help me? (pic on //ibb.co/YRpKtcG )
The alexa app maybe outdated.

Sent from my ocean using XDA Labs

opokuagyemang10

Nov 3, 2020
please i need help with my amazon fire hd 8 7gen. i downgraded it in other to have root access and now it wont turn on is completely dead and i need help to get it back working.

micutzul

Mar 28, 2011
Hello, I would like to have my Fire HD 10 (2019) in my native language, but in the Languages section, there are only a few languages.
What can I do?

I picked up a hd 10 2017 (Fire OS 5.6.4.0) and dock in Sept. I'd like to root it, and was wondering if k4y0z's [UNLOCK][ROOT][TWRP][UNBRICK] Fire HD 10 2017 (suez) is the best way to go about it?

Yes so long as you follow it step by step it should work. Mind you this will only work on the Suez (it might work on others I don't know I haven't kept up a lot on these specific devices as of lately). Just be sure the device is actually suez and is of compatible firmware version. If the version is early enough you can also look for mtk-su.

varadinum

Sep 16, 2011
GB
meettomy.site
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hello, my tablet is stuck at the logo. Doesn't work anymore. Recovery and bootloader no longer works either.
Can you get that back? I can't find a solution. Please can someone help me?

This is the 7th gen Fire HD8

Thanks in advance

ev1lchris

Dec 7, 2012
I ordered a refurbished Android 10 HD off eBay.

I'm excited to install a custom ROM on it but have read in the unlocking and rooting guide that it can result in a bricked device that may require physically opening it up.

I'm kind of scared to do it, but I still want to. I have a Linux Mint computer I can use to do the procedure.

Has anyone else done this before? Was it risky? Was it easy?

nkream

Feb 22, 2020
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
So I was looking for a fix for the lineage os 14.1 on my douglas device to get mounting properly for apps and found an sd boot.img here and I used twrp and accidentally flashed over everything including twrp, now I cant even get into recovery mode and everything is stuck on the amazon logo. please help

So I was looking for a fix for the lineage os 14.1 on my douglas device to get mounting properly for apps and found an sd boot.img here and I used twrp and accidentally flashed over everything including twrp, now I cant even get into recovery mode and everything is stuck on the amazon logo. please help

Probably going to need to go through the whole process of bricking and unlocking and what not again. Can you get into fastboot? I'm not sure how the Douglas works in terms of whether you can use fastboot to flash any images.

Reactions: sd_shadow

k1ndlef4cker

Dec 31, 2019
Ha Noi
Hi everyone,

So recently i installed LOS 12.1 and after using it i decided to reinstall FireOS but im scared that if i install the ROM from Amazon then it would brick the deivce. So will install the latest ROM brick it (or remove TWRP) If so then does anyone has the older ROM (rootable and will not uninstall TWRP) And please dont mind about my english.

OccultNerd

May 15, 2021
Hi, is there anyway to add a new 'Local' user to my Fire HD 10 7th Gen ? Or Log Out of the Kindle App and Log In with a different account with out de-registering/registering? Or a way to uninstall the System Kindle app and install from Google Play or via APK allowing me to Log In with whatever account I want?

Basically I have Amazon Prime/Prime Video etc... on a Student account and I alternate between other normal accounts for Kindle Unlimited Free Trials or Offers so need to have my Fire HD registered to my Student account but be able to change between kindle accounts.

I have looked at Rooting and installing Lineage but not comfortable in using Linux to do it (have soft modded other devices and installed custom roms but not via Linux)

I have the FireToolbox set up and have gone through everything in it.

Any advice appreciated.

Thank You

pluce

Jun 29, 2021
WI
Amazon Fire HD 8 and HD 10
I bought a new Fire 10 HD 2021 but the Fire Toolbox ver 18 cannot find it. I did a backup using the toolbox from my older fire to my windows 10 laptop with no problem. The new Fire's settings do not allow access to the same settings such as the serial number for the developer options. Do you have a way around this?

Peg

I bought a new Fire 10 HD 2021 but the Fire Toolbox ver 18 cannot find it. I did a backup using the toolbox from my older fire to my windows 10 laptop with no problem. The new Fire's settings do not allow access to the same settings such as the serial number for the developer options. Do you have a way around this?

Peg

If you mean when you tap the "build version", usually located in the about 'device section', and nothing happened, that would be a first for me. Am I correct in assuming you cannot access developer settings? If that assumption is correct, is ADB enabled?

I recall having seen a fix for this, but I cannot for the life of me find it right now, but will keep looking.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to

Fire HD 8 (KFDOWI)
    &
    Fire HD 10 (KFSUWI)
    7th Gen/2017

Note: Rather than create another thread, I just updated the thread title to include the 7th Gen HD 10.​
    Just remember they do have slightly different hardware. -4 March 2018​

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.​
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!​
    Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

Fire OS 5.3.1.0 was the last version to be rootable,
    for all Fires except the 7th gen HD 10.

Do not attempt to downgrade. - 7th Oct 2018

FAQs

Manual Update
    https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/general/unbrick-amazon-fire-hd-8-10-t3240034

Download Firmware
    7th Gen HD 8
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202144610

7th Gen HD 10
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202194760

Currently there is no known root method - 14 July 2017
    There is no reliable way to stop updates, without rooting. - 14 July 2017
    see https://xdaforums.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603 on how to add google framwork/playstore without root. - 14 July 2017
    ...The apps aren't even installed to begin with, they were removed by the debloater.
    Therein lies the rub. Apps disabled via "pm uninstall -k --user 0 ..." and related varients remain on the device and cause untold headaches when trying to reenable / sideload. This is usually followed by a series of additional hacks that may or may not work and generally lead to further convolution.

Start with a fresh sheet. Only disable items you never intend to use/restore. If rooted perform a proper uninstallation.
    Hey guys, I hope this hasn't been asked a million times but I was wondering if this method of rooting the fire 10 with TWRP and Magisk is the best: https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/orig-development/unlock-fire-hd-10-2017-suez-t3913639 also I was wondering if this HD8 tut would work with my HD10 https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/general/tut-root-hd82018-via-magisk-t3906554

I have already rooted my tablet using a method involving ADB and Kingoroot(which gave me SuperSU) that I found here on XDA but I miss having a custom recovery like I have on my phone, same can be said for Magisk Manager. I want to know if you guys would recommend the above method linked. Admittedly I don't have a Linux but is it true I could install Linux on a USB and use it on Windows PC? Any advice would be massively appreciated! I know there isn't much difference between Magisk and SuperSU but if it can be done I wouldn't hesitate to reset my tablet and re root.

My Fire OS is 5.6.1.0 FYI. Sorry for the long post!
    The first one is the one you'd want to follow. Make sure to read it the instructions at least twice before beginning. The second one is not for the HD 10 2017, but for the HD 8 2018. Two completely different beasts.

I definitely recommend unlocking the tablet. It WILL wipe your device, and it WILL modify the GPT tables. I don't believe there's any FireOS version that it won't work on, so far. The newest firmware (5.6.40) requires a downgrade to unlock, but I don't think you'll need to go that far with 5.6.10. That being said, once done, you can flash TWRP, then flash Magisk via said recovery, as you already know. There's a rooted, deodexed stock ROM if you want to stick to FireOS. Not to mention there's also a LineageOS build for the HD 10, which is quite stable, though has some bugs. Definitely an improvement over FireOS, though!

As for Linux, yes, you can create a persistent live USB drive with Linux, which is perfect for this process. I used LiLi (LiveLinux Creator) with Ubuntu, I think it was. I do have to mention that Linux may not detect and install WiFi adapters (if you use any), even onboard ones. I had to use my phone's hotspot to download and install the required dependencies, since I didn't have any way to run a wired connection to my router.

Create a Linux live system with persistent storage via a bootable USB. Scroll to "How to Make a Persistent Ubuntu USB Drive on Windows."

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/

LineageOS 12.1: https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/orig-development/rom-lineage-12-1-t3953677
    Rooted, modified stock FireOS 5.6.40: https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/development/rom-t3929969

Read through the first posts of those before flashing, as well. The usual advice/warnings about voiding your warranty apply here, in the biggest way.

Good luck!
    Even a proper uninstall can cause issues. For example just uninstalling the parental apps without disabling the administrator, will cause headaches like the formentioned. From my experience, if you uninstall them, without clearing it's other settings or configs, it will disable security features one by one and eventually will just have to reflash. Amazon has a lot of apps setup in configs that don't normally exist. Finding those configs is not easy
    Spot on. This is not a generic Android ROM/device. It is an highly customized Amazon ecosystem portal that happens to look like a traditional tablet and uses some flavor of Android as a base OS. If their gizmos were hexagonal and ran Linux we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Bottom line: only disable stuff that gets in the way; leave everything else alone unless you lead a very dull life, have copious unstructured time and enjoy endless break/fix cycles.

Related: https://xdaforums.com/amazon-fire/general/remove-lockscreen-ads-fire-hd-8-2018-t3870408/post79187326