[Help Thread][Fire HD 8 and HD 10](7th Gen/2017) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

JHW3

Dec 23, 2011
Toronto
My Fire HD 10 (2017) is rooted and running Lineage 12.1. I am planning to sell it and would actually like to revert to stock (the standard Fire OS install) to make that process easier. Can anyone recommend an easy way to do this?

jonny4

Mar 23, 2011
I was gifted a FIRE HD 10 7th generation and I just want it to run as smoothly as possible so I would like to remove bloat. What is the best way to do this. I am going to use it just to run Touch Portal on for streaming control.

cauqel

Jun 10, 2010
Got a handmedown HD 10 7th gen.

Wanting to do Xcloud gaming. I was able to get Google Play installed and updated, but it won't let me install the Xbox Gamepass App. I tried all for APKs I found online, but all gave a parsing error. Is it just not gonna work with Fire 5.6? Will I need to put a custom rom to use the Xbox app?

I was able to install Edge and run gamepass through that, but I'd like to just use the Xbox App.

strifej

Feb 4, 2008
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
LG V40
My Fire HD 10 (2017) is rooted and running Lineage 12.1. I am planning to sell it and would actually like to revert to stock (the standard Fire OS install) to make that process easier. Can anyone recommend an easy way to do this?
Hi, did you figure this out? I have a 2017 HD10 on Lineage 12 as well and plan to give it to a relative. I think stock would be better for them. thx

JHW3

Dec 23, 2011
Toronto
Hi, did you figure this out? I have a 2017 HD10 on Lineage 12 as well and plan to give it to a relative. I think stock would be better for them. thx

I actually never did figure it out -- and ended up selling it as-is. I got tired of making things work with the Fire HD and got a more mainstream tablet instead.

anon/droid

Jan 30, 2019
Ruhrgebiet
I guess it is easier to upgrade your relative to make him or her more compatible with LineageOS. :sneaky:

Perhaps I will just put mine on eBay where people might actually pay more for a rooted and TWRP'd Fire Tablet than a stock one, at least that's my hope.

Forron

Dec 27, 2021
I actually never did figure it out -- and ended up selling it as-is. I got tired of making things work with the Fire HD and got a more mainstream tablet instead.
I guess it is easier to upgrade your relative to make him or her more compatible with LineageOS. :sneaky:

Perhaps I will just put mine on eBay where people might actually pay more for a rooted and TWRP'd Fire Tablet than a stock one, at least that's my hope.

I used the stock rom from this post https://xdaforums.com/t/firmware-update-stock-fire-hd-10-7th-gen.3926806/ by Dan_firehd.

doslover

Jun 29, 2010
Hey all, hopefully a simple question here. I have a 2017 HD8 already unlocked running LineageOS 12.1. I was looking to upgrade to 15.1 but based on the zip verification failures I'm getting in TWRP I *think* I have to upgrade the TWRP version as well.

My question is what's the easiest/safest way to do that? I figure I can probably run through the bricking/flashing procedure again just as I did years ago but not sure if that's the best/easiest way since I'm already unlocked and have access to my current version of TWRP (3.3.1-0, FWIW).

Alternately if I should be able to flash it using my current version, any other ideas why it wouldn't work? I've tried with zip signature verification on & off, I always wipe system/cache/data before trying to flash anything, 14.1 doesn't work either but I can successfully reflash 12.1 with no problems.

Thanks in advance!

Linus X.

Hi experts,
I have a rooted Fire HD 8 (7th gen, 2017) with Lineage OS lying around. I haven't used it in a while because it's so slow and I already bought a better tablet.
Now I would like to use the Fire as a screen for my Hifi receiver. The receiver has an HDMI port and having a little screen connected to it would make it much more comfortable to use. But the Fire only has a micro-USB port and if course it's not been made for this kind of use.
Is this possible?
Thanks in advance!
Linus X.

p3r3lin

Feb 4, 2022
Hi all,

Question: Where do I find instructions to root a Kindle HD 8 (2020 - Onyx)? OR Is there any other way to put TLS certificates in the Certificate System Store?

Background: I bought the Kindle in the "Kids" edition for my 6 year old daughter. Of course she loves it. Amazons puts a ton of child-friendly apps and content on there. BUT its just too much content (thousands of apps and media) and as a parent I would like to have control over what my child is watching / playing / reading. Amazon does give the option to remove content from the catalogue by hand. And at first I went through everything and removed like 70%. But of course Amazon pushes new content regularly and I have no way of knowing when and whats new, it just appears on the device and my daughter can access it. Not good imo.

So since Im a developer I thought "why not build a service that removes all new content by default and generates a report so parents can whitelist new stuff later". SHOULD be easy enough since its all web services (probably authentication will be tricky). BUT I cannot (man-in-the-middle) inspect the https web traffic of the Kindle Kids parent control settings app because the settings app uses certificate pinning and only allows the TLS certificates from the system store, which I cannot access of course. Also the parent control settings app does not seem to be freely available and comes preinstalled only on the device itself, so no way to repackage it with the proper MITM certificates.

So I started to look around for clear rooting instructions for that particular model but came up only with seemingly outdated stuff.

I would be super grateful for any pointers in the right direction!

SpiritualEncounter

Apr 2, 2022
Hello,

I have one Fire HD 8, 7th gen, 2017. It runs quite well with the Play Store on top, and Nova Launcher. Apart from the Home button not working --- the thing with parental controls --- everything else works as expected on the tablet. As I am writing this, the tablet upgraded itself from FireOS 5.6.x.x to 5.7.0.0.

Now I am thinking of changing the firmware. I don't care about the root. But I would like to remove anything Google and Amazon from the tablet and make it mine. I don't like opening stuff up, nor do I like soldering pieces. So I would like the smoothest experience with some clean Android firmware. I see there is a LineageOS port, but it works in 32bits, and it's labeled ”experimental”. I guess I don't want anything older than Android 5.

Where should I look?

officiallyme

Jul 19, 2011
I was thinking about getting the current HD 10+ but from what I am finding here and on google, it seems that rooting is more or less out of the question for any half-way new model. Last root was 2017 or 2018 model, I think.
Is there anyone still working on this or has the Fire HD been given up on?

JollyRgrs

Jul 15, 2022
I have an HD10 7th gen running LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1). It has been a while and I am wanting to repurpose and need a newer OS for various features. I have root, but the bootloader is locked. I'm having trouble running through the instructions https://xdaforums.com/t/unlock-root-twrp-unbrick-fire-hd-10-2017-suez.3913639/ . I went into the step-1 and step-2 .sh files and renamed "suez" to "lineage_suez" so it would detect the right device, but it cannot write to the bootloader (permission denied) and running fastboot unlock commands tells me the bootloader is still locked. What steps would I go to get to where I can flash lineageos 16?

ptbptb

Aug 7, 2022
Got a Fire HD 8 7th Generation, and BOY this thing does NOT want to be recognized by any PC it is connected to via USB cable.

I have tried two different PCs, three different cables and a whole bunch of stuff from three or four webpages I found looking for "Kindle Fire not detected by PC".

It can be paired as a Bluetooth device, though?

All I wanted to do was update Google Chrome, and I fell into this labyrinth of confusion. I read that the XDA Kindle Fire Toolkit could fix the thing where Amazon doesn't let Kindles connect to 'external marketplaces' only Amazon Appstore. But the Toolkit needs a USB connection. :(

justmeray1777

Feb 11, 2015
Fire OS 5.3.1.0 was the last version to be rootable,
for all Fires except the 7th gen HD 10.

Do not attempt to downgrade. - 7th Oct 2018

FAQs

Manual Update
https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/general/unbrick-amazon-fire-hd-8-10-t3240034

Download Firmware
7th Gen HD 8
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202144610

7th Gen HD 10
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202194760

Currently there is no known root method - 14 July 2017
There is no reliable way to stop updates, without rooting. - 14 July 2017
see https://xdaforums.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603 on how to add google framwork/playstore without root. - 14 July 2017

This is pretty old form that I noticed I'm not very familiar with navigating as I haven't been on here in quite a while but I have a fire HD 7th gen 10-in that has FC Enterprise on it what does that mean and how did it get there does it mean that my tablet has been jailbroke or flashed or a new ROM put on it or was it used for a company I know nothing about it and Amazon can't seem to tell me nothing affirmative any information or direction with this thing would be great Thank you have a wonderful and blessed holiday season

Hello everyone! I have a Fire HD 8 (7th Gen) with OS 5.3.6.4 currently installed, and I am wondering if it is even worth trying to gain root? I have been reading and it seems this OS is a bit dated as it has been turned off for a while, and I cant seem to find any information.

Any suggestions? Thanks!!

*Edit..

I have since found mtk-su and successfully got temp root, but it seems there's more work to do! I'll open a separate thread soon as I run into my first issue 😎

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to

Fire HD 8 (KFDOWI)
    &
    Fire HD 10 (KFSUWI)
    7th Gen/2017

Note: Rather than create another thread, I just updated the thread title to include the 7th Gen HD 10.​
    Just remember they do have slightly different hardware. -4 March 2018​

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.​
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!​
    Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

Fire OS 5.3.1.0 was the last version to be rootable,
    for all Fires except the 7th gen HD 10.

Do not attempt to downgrade. - 7th Oct 2018

FAQs

Manual Update
    https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/general/unbrick-amazon-fire-hd-8-10-t3240034

Download Firmware
    7th Gen HD 8
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202144610

7th Gen HD 10
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202194760

Currently there is no known root method - 14 July 2017
    There is no reliable way to stop updates, without rooting. - 14 July 2017
    see https://xdaforums.com/amazon-fire/general/how-to-install-google-play-store-fire-t3486603 on how to add google framwork/playstore without root. - 14 July 2017
    ...The apps aren't even installed to begin with, they were removed by the debloater.
    Therein lies the rub. Apps disabled via "pm uninstall -k --user 0 ..." and related varients remain on the device and cause untold headaches when trying to reenable / sideload. This is usually followed by a series of additional hacks that may or may not work and generally lead to further convolution.

Start with a fresh sheet. Only disable items you never intend to use/restore. If rooted perform a proper uninstallation.
    Hey guys, I hope this hasn't been asked a million times but I was wondering if this method of rooting the fire 10 with TWRP and Magisk is the best: https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/orig-development/unlock-fire-hd-10-2017-suez-t3913639 also I was wondering if this HD8 tut would work with my HD10 https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/general/tut-root-hd82018-via-magisk-t3906554

I have already rooted my tablet using a method involving ADB and Kingoroot(which gave me SuperSU) that I found here on XDA but I miss having a custom recovery like I have on my phone, same can be said for Magisk Manager. I want to know if you guys would recommend the above method linked. Admittedly I don't have a Linux but is it true I could install Linux on a USB and use it on Windows PC? Any advice would be massively appreciated! I know there isn't much difference between Magisk and SuperSU but if it can be done I wouldn't hesitate to reset my tablet and re root.

My Fire OS is 5.6.1.0 FYI. Sorry for the long post!
    The first one is the one you'd want to follow. Make sure to read it the instructions at least twice before beginning. The second one is not for the HD 10 2017, but for the HD 8 2018. Two completely different beasts.

I definitely recommend unlocking the tablet. It WILL wipe your device, and it WILL modify the GPT tables. I don't believe there's any FireOS version that it won't work on, so far. The newest firmware (5.6.40) requires a downgrade to unlock, but I don't think you'll need to go that far with 5.6.10. That being said, once done, you can flash TWRP, then flash Magisk via said recovery, as you already know. There's a rooted, deodexed stock ROM if you want to stick to FireOS. Not to mention there's also a LineageOS build for the HD 10, which is quite stable, though has some bugs. Definitely an improvement over FireOS, though!

As for Linux, yes, you can create a persistent live USB drive with Linux, which is perfect for this process. I used LiLi (LiveLinux Creator) with Ubuntu, I think it was. I do have to mention that Linux may not detect and install WiFi adapters (if you use any), even onboard ones. I had to use my phone's hotspot to download and install the required dependencies, since I didn't have any way to run a wired connection to my router.

Create a Linux live system with persistent storage via a bootable USB. Scroll to "How to Make a Persistent Ubuntu USB Drive on Windows."

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14912/create-a-persistent-bootable-ubuntu-usb-flash-drive/

LineageOS 12.1: https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/orig-development/rom-lineage-12-1-t3953677
    Rooted, modified stock FireOS 5.6.40: https://xdaforums.com/hd8-hd10/development/rom-t3929969

Read through the first posts of those before flashing, as well. The usual advice/warnings about voiding your warranty apply here, in the biggest way.

Good luck!
    Even a proper uninstall can cause issues. For example just uninstalling the parental apps without disabling the administrator, will cause headaches like the formentioned. From my experience, if you uninstall them, without clearing it's other settings or configs, it will disable security features one by one and eventually will just have to reflash. Amazon has a lot of apps setup in configs that don't normally exist. Finding those configs is not easy
    Spot on. This is not a generic Android ROM/device. It is an highly customized Amazon ecosystem portal that happens to look like a traditional tablet and uses some flavor of Android as a base OS. If their gizmos were hexagonal and ran Linux we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Bottom line: only disable stuff that gets in the way; leave everything else alone unless you lead a very dull life, have copious unstructured time and enjoy endless break/fix cycles.

Related: https://xdaforums.com/amazon-fire/general/remove-lockscreen-ads-fire-hd-8-2018-t3870408/post79187326