• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory
Search This thread

redamed92

Oct 24, 2017
s4 won't boot after trying to boot it

Hello,
i have a s4 i9500 that i tried to root.installed the recovery using odin.then using the recovery installed supersu.after rebooting in root check i got "the root is not properly installed".what i did is download another supersu.i don't know how it got there.but now the phone is stuck at the samsung logo.before it was stuck at the 2nd logo.now the first one.i can go into recovery mode and download mode.but can't use the phone
seems like it 's stuck in a boot loop now.it reaches the 2nd logo.then gone
any help will be appreciated

EDIT: i solved my problem.downloaded a rom and flashed it using odin

Last edited:

Ibuprophen

Sep 4, 2012
Upstate New York
What's the best way to root the GT i9505 on 5.0.1 on latest build (The one they released with patches from January 2016) ?
I don't have that specific device but, there's a dedicated area on the Forum that may be more specific for your specific device model here (in case you weren't aware of it).

https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s4-att

With that stated...

There's a ton of threads with various ways to root your device. I couldn't figure out, myself, which one to refer you too (LOL!) but, one or more of the following threads may have the answer to your question or you can post your question within one of them for some further guidance.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2192886

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2320430

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2413746

Good Luck!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I DO NOT PROVIDE SUPPORT VIA PM UNLESS ASKED/REQUESTED BY MYSELF.
PLEASE KEEP IT IN THE THREADS WHERE EVERYONE CAN SHARE

PieSniper

Jan 4, 2014
I just wasted three hours of my life and 1/3 of my sleep time for the night. At this point, I truly, truly need to be outright spoonfed. I don't know what I'm doing anymore. It's been too long.

I've been using unmodified S7 and now S8 ever since the S7 came out and I've forgotten everything about hacking phones. My S4 is running extremely outdated firmware, and it needs to upgrade, badly. Everything I've been able to Google up has been dead end bull**** that fails for one reason or another.

It's a Sprint S4 with the model number of SPH-L720. I need to bring it up to Android 5 or higher and have it rooted. It currently is rooted, but with old firmware that doesn't get the job done anymore. It's gotten to the point where most stuff just doesn't even run on it.

Please, just lay out for me step by step what I should do to fix this problem and get current.

Asder.mko

Sep 28, 2017
I just wasted three hours of my life and 1/3 of my sleep time for the night. At this point, I truly, truly need to be outright spoonfed. I don't know what I'm doing anymore. It's been too long.

I've been using unmodified S7 and now S8 ever since the S7 came out and I've forgotten everything about hacking phones. My S4 is running extremely outdated firmware, and it needs to upgrade, badly. Everything I've been able to Google up has been dead end bull**** that fails for one reason or another.

It's a Sprint S4 with the model number of SPH-L720. I need to bring it up to Android 5 or higher and have it rooted. It currently is rooted, but with old firmware that doesn't get the job done anymore. It's gotten to the point where most stuff just doesn't even run on it.

Please, just lay out for me step by step what I should do to fix this problem and get current.
What stuff do you wanna run? Like what exactly do you expect?

mliverpool

Jul 22, 2016
Hi and sorry if it is answered somewhere but there is so much text about it. So, I installed lineage OS 14.1 on my S4 I9505 with TWRP and I didn't root my phone. It works good but battery drain is awful. It lasts just 2 hours on the internet. So I found that I need to install custom kernel. My questions are:
Do I install kernel the same way as lineage OS (with TWRP)?
Do I need to root my phone(I didn't do that for lineage OS installation)?
What kernel to install for lineage OS 14.1 (what's the best)?

Thank you very much. :)

Last edited:

PieSniper

Jan 4, 2014
What stuff do you wanna run? Like what exactly do you expect?

Okay, so I just managed to get TWRP installed. I believe this means that I can simply flash any ROM I want to now. I now have no idea what ROM to pick up. In a furious frenzy, I just decided to try the most recent Samsung update, which is apparently Android 5.1, which is adequate enough, I'd say, gets me SnapTools. But I can't find it except hidden on scam sites like SamMobile. I even tried registering at SamMobile, even though having to make an account for anything pisses me off beyond belief, and no, you can't download it within a reasonable timeframe without paying them. Absolute trash.

So I just need something good to flash on there to get more current and not delete my text messages and voicemails in the process.

Asder.mko

Sep 28, 2017
Okay, so I just managed to get TWRP installed. I believe this means that I can simply flash any ROM I want to now. I now have no idea what ROM to pick up. In a furious frenzy, I just decided to try the most recent Samsung update, which is apparently Android 5.1, which is adequate enough, I'd say, gets me SnapTools. But I can't find it except hidden on scam sites like SamMobile. I even tried registering at SamMobile, even though having to make an account for anything pisses me off beyond belief, and no, you can't download it within a reasonable timeframe without paying them. Absolute trash.

So I just need something good to flash on there to get more current and not delete my text messages and voicemails in the process.

Well, if u want stock like experience try 5.1 ( though I couldn't run Xposed then :/ ) or else I would seriously recommend you Infernus V4 ROM! It's just EPIC!?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
Faulty SDCARD holder

I have a gti9506, whiuch has an SDCARD slot in the back. Previously, on pushing the SDCARD into the slot it would click and lock into place, w\ith a second push unlocking it and popping it out. Now, the card will not stay in. I have tried other SD Cards, and they all do the same thing.

Is this a known issue? is there any fix not involving surgery?

walttheboss

Nov 1, 2010
Kunming
I have a gti9506, whiuch has an SDCARD slot in the back. Previously, on pushing the SDCARD into the slot it would click and lock into place, w\ith a second push unlocking it and popping it out. Now, the card will not stay in. I have tried other SD Cards, and they all do the same thing.

Is this a known issue? is there any fix not involving surgery?
No fix. Need to replace. Very easy job and the part is cheap. Called the sim card tray. Sim and SD card on the same part.

Is it worth getting the Galaxy S4+ (I9506), or does it have too many flaws these days, compared to newer units? I've read it drains a lot of battery, does that also go for the Snapdragon 800 version? Just wondering since it seems like a decent sized device 136 mm. I really like smaller smart phones with replaceable batteries. Right now I have 4.7" device that is 130 mm long, don't really want anything much bigger than that.

Thanks!

PieSniper

Jan 4, 2014
Asking around because I want this finally done. It's been over a month. I need to get Xposed on my S4. I've gotten as far as getting the ROM upgraded to stock 5.0.1, which is what I have to use to avoid losing my app data, which I need kept intact. I managed to install Magisk as well. The only thing left to do is get Xposed, but according to the thread for Xposed on Lollipop, this would bootloop my S4, and according to what appears to be the thread for the Samsung specific Xposed installation process, the ROM must be deodexed. I can frickin' deodex the ROM if I must, but I need some instructions that are actually accurate. The ones I found were incomprehensible. The first step is to "extract" an EXE installation file. ...Wut? If I could just get some instructions that make sense, then I can probably finally get this done and hopefully never have to worry about it ever again.

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
I've gotten as far as getting the ROM upgraded to stock 5.0.1, which is what I have to use to avoid losing my app data, which I need kept intact.
Curiosity question: what app? Asking because I know ES File Explorer can back up apps and their data, so long as the device is rooted.

Anyway, the EXE must be a self-extracting archive file. The instruction given assumes you have WinRAR or 7-Zip on your computer, both of which can open the archive without executing it.

mvdi

Jun 8, 2016
Füllinsdorf
Best way is to use a Terminal Emulator, grant it SU access, and type the following:

getprop ro.bootloader

The output will tell you which you have

Hi @FernBch and everyone. I've acquired an i545, without realising it was a Verizon model... Stupid me! I thought it would be a simple matter to install my favourite JDC AOSP ROM...
To use your method, I would need to root it first, right? Can I read build.prop any other way? I just want to find out quickly if I've bought a pig in a poke :p

PieSniper

Jan 4, 2014
Absolutely dying still.

So far I've gotten my stock ROM upgraded to stock Lollipop. That's good.

Got Magisk flashed onto it and got root back. Good.

Deodexed and got Xposed. Good...

Couldn't pass SafetyNet. Tried uninstalling Xposed. Didn't help.

This is all part of an epic (used correctly, this has been going on for a month) struggle against my *** damn S4 (Sprint) to JUST RUN SNAPCHAT WITH SNAPTOOLS! But I can't log into Snapchat because of this idiotic SafetyNet trash!

How do I beat SafetyNet with Magisk V14 on a Sprint Galaxy S4 with stock 5.0.1 ROM? I need to finally have this battle won!

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
You hid Magisk, correct? If even after that you still can't pass Safetynet, you'll need to find a version of the Snapchat app that doesn't check for Safetynet and use it. Otherwise, you'll have to forego using Snapchat, as there is no other way to avoid Safetynet.

P. S. You cannot use Xposed at all if you hope to pass Safetynet.

PieSniper

Jan 4, 2014
You hid Magisk, correct? If even after that you still can't pass Safetynet, you'll need to find a version of the Snapchat app that doesn't check for Safetynet and use it. Otherwise, you'll have to forego using Snapchat, as there is no other way to avoid Safetynet.

P. S. You cannot use Xposed at all if you hope to pass Safetynet.

I have Magisk set to hide itself, but as you can see in the attached photo, it still doesn't pass and Snapchat therefore is not allowing me to log in, and I hate it!!

Attachments

• 20171127_104141.jpg
    20171127_104141.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 112

Top Liked Posts