• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
Search This thread
Mar 12, 2018
Magisk doesn't work on Android 4.x and earlier. I'm not familiar with the ROM you're using, but if it is Android 5.x or higher, Magisk should work. At the same time you're using an old version of Magisk: 17.3 was released yesterday.

If you want a more stock Android feel, you want to use Lineage OS as it is still being maintained. If by "stock" you mean Samsung's version of it, SuperWizCyan or Super Touchwiz are good choices, though the latter is no longer updated.

Thank you again :highfive:! My S4 has never looked so good, Lineage OS, Magisk and TWRP all installed and running like a dream (at this point).

Reactions: Strephon Alkhalikoi

FlappyFalcon

Jun 2, 2015
London
Hiya, I want to flash a custom rom on my S4 i9505 but I'm kinda confused tbh. First how do I simply check if it's unlocked (I know trying to unlock it again if it is already unlocked can cause a brick)? And also how do I install a custom recovery to even install said rom? I have tried looking on the forums but honestly I find xda obtuse as hell and a bit unorganised to find what's safe to use and what not with how many threads are just old and outdated, thanks.

Asder.mko

Sep 28, 2017
1 - What happed with phone ? or what you did you do on phone before phone stopped booting ?
2- Did you wipe system or data ?
3- Is battery good ?
Well, I had been using Infernus V4 ROM on it and sometimes the SIM used to stop working. A simple reboot would fix that. I was listening to song, got a pop up, presses reboot and *dead*. Also, I have 2 batteries one new and one old, they're fine

Asder.mko

Sep 28, 2017
DONOT WORRY BE BRAVE AND READ TO END :-
1- Is old battery good you can charge it by desktop for hours and see if you couldnot go to download mode .
2 - flash sammobile rom to sure about your phone work or Bugs may generate heat some thing in process .
3- THIS CASE IS WEAK DONOT INTEREST IT BUT PUT IT IN YOUR MIND, IF THIS CASE DOESNOT HAPPEND IN SAMMOBILE ROM YOUR ANTTELA IS GOOD (if sim card signal go and disappear when you open phone , you may have problem with sim anttela you should fix it ).
* What is your type is gt-i9500 tell me to send you support.
IF YOU GT-I9500 :
*FLASH TWRP with odin and get bacup : efs, modem .
4- System may have bugs you should change it You said that system has bugs by sim and other like sound that make bad sound and the device may get monitor blaxk and white or speaker get bad sound .
5-If your type gt-i9500(I used it Why donot you use lineage os 14.1 by alberto and aroma gapps it is good with small bugs like you cannot creat contact in SIM but you could read from sim card ,sim is good ,and sound , I used it and i speak you from it
its links :
a -xda : https://forum.xda-developers.com/ga...rom-lineageos-14-1-samsung-galaxy-s4-t3586561
b - This is the best albert86 rom for gt-i9500 (Sim card work on It but doesnot work on others versions this version download by 7485 member ) :
https://basketbuild.com/filedl/devs...ge-14.1-20170721-UNOFFICIAL-WEEKLY-ja3gxx.zip
c -openjapp 7.1 aroma or pico .

IF YOU DONOT GT-I9500 SENT ME TO HELP YOU
AND SEND YOUR CODENAME .
Desktop : this is name in my country .
Thanks for replying! I have gt - i9500. The battery is good and when left for a while in phone, the phone heats a bit. Also, I can't flash anything as my pc isn't even detecting it! Not even LED glows

sk1806

Dec 27, 2018
Where to download firmware

Hello

Everyone keeps talking about downloading old firmware and using Odin to flash it, but where can I download the firmware files in the first place? I want to install either Anroid 4.2.2 or just downgrade the modem.

I have a Glaxay S4 i9505 with lollipop 5.0.1 on it and need to SIM unlock it. I have tried using the secret code and service menu to unlock, but when I get to the final option, [3]PERSO SHA256 OFF, does not exist.
So I decided to try and do it by rooting my phone.

I followed some instructions and used Odin and CF Auto Root to successfully root my phone.
I then tried to use GalaxySimUnlock app to sim unlock my phone, I gave it root access and then it said I needed to downgrade my baseband modem to something ending in MGA or older. Where can I download this file? I have been trawling through old posts and it seems XXUAME2 modem would work, but again, I can't see to find a link anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can find XXUAME2 modem download or something else that would also do the job?
Or can/should I just download 5.0.1 to 4.2.2 (but again, where would I find the necessary files?)

Thanks

Asder.mko

Sep 28, 2017
Hello

Everyone keeps talking about downloading old firmware and using Odin to flash it, but where can I download the firmware files in the first place? I want to install either Anroid 4.2.2 or just downgrade the modem.

I have a Glaxay S4 i9505 with lollipop 5.0.1 on it and need to SIM unlock it. I have tried using the secret code and service menu to unlock, but when I get to the final option, [3]PERSO SHA256 OFF, does not exist.

I followed some instructions and used Odin and CF Auto Root to successfully root my phone.
I then tried to use GalaxySimUnlock app to sim unlock my phone, I gave it root access and then it said I needed to downgrade my baseband modem to something ending in MGA or older. Where can I download this file? I have been trawling through old posts and it seems XXUAME2 modem would work, but again, I can't see to find a link anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can find XXUAME2 modem download or something else that would also do the job?
Or can/should I just download 5.0.1 to 4.2.2 (but again, where would I find the necessary files?)

Thanks
You can search on Sammobile. Afaik, most of the firmwares and various versions are available there.

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Hello

Thanks
Look for Chainfire's RegionLockAway and use that to SIM unlock the device as it's a more permanent solution than alternatives. Keep in mind that after downgrading the ROM or modem and using RegionLock Away or any other SIM unlock method you have to restore the Android 5.0.1.

I assume you already know this, so call this a friendly reminder.

Firmware is available through sammobile.com, but for the S4 firmware may be behind a paywall due to changes at sammobile. Samsung-updates.com is another location you may want to try.

zoocha

Jan 1, 2018
Hello,

I have a GT-I9505 with an untouched Android 5.0.1 and I want to use a Custom ROM. Questions:

1. Which ROM is currently the best one available?

2. Can Anyone provide me a foolproof instructions / order of installing everything?

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Best is subjective. However, the real question is whether Touchwiz features are important to you or not. Answering that will steer you towards the Android Development or Original Android Development subforums.

Each ROM has instructions on how to install them. Instructions on rooting are readily available in this forum in one of the pinned posts at the top of the first page. If all else fails, search.

P. S. There is no such thing as a foolproof method of doing things. There will always be risks involved when modifying a device.

Reactions: zoocha

wivern

Oct 25, 2007
1. Which ROM is currently the best one available?[/QUOTE said:
Yes it's a stupid question and it depends on preferences, I still have the same query :D

2question is whether Touchwiz features are important to you or not [/QUOTE said:
Simple question, complex answer. i9506 with Touchwiz is on Android 5.0.1 meantime Android and alterntive ROm for i9506 is versiopn 8,1 and 9.0. At least I do not even know what Touschwiz Google has already implemented in andorid and what is still missing.
Nt to mention what can be done as separate applications and what not .

I decide
1. stay with the original and obsolete ROM 5.01 i9506
2. install ArrowOs Android pie 9.0 as last version Andoids 9 form ArroeOS
3. install [ROM][GT-I9506][ks01ltexx] LineageOS 16.0 UNOFFICIAL for the Galaxy S4 LTE-A as last version Andoids 9 form LineageOS
4. Install [ROM][8.1.0_r52][ks01ltexx][UNOFFICIAL] ResurrectionRemix-Oreo-v6.2.1 or any other as older and maybe more stable version for i9506

I just do not know and do not want to spend much time trying and by walking the blind ways.
In short, do you advise what to choose? :D

zoocha

Jan 1, 2018
Touchwiz features arent important for me but i already installed it. Just need a ROM. I know its subjective, but isnt there a ROM wih best objectively performance/stability/features? My eyes are on Optimized LineageOS 16.0.

Last edited:

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
People can give you their opinions as to what the best ROM is. For example, I am using Buff and side's AOSP 9 and could tell you it's the bee's knees. However my opinion does not matter as AOSP is not as feature-rich as LineageOS and you maybwant more features. What others prefer may not coincide with what you prefer and thus it's best to simply not bother asking others for their opinion. The only objective method of determining which ROM is best is by you trying them out until you find one you like.

Reactions: zoocha

zoocha

Jan 1, 2018
People can give you their opinions as to what the best ROM is. For example, I am using Buff and side's AOSP 9 and could tell you it's the bee's knees. However my opinion does not matter as AOSP is not as feature-rich as LineageOS and you maybwant more features. What others prefer may not coincide with what you prefer and thus it's best to simply not bother asking others for their opinion. The only objective method of determining which ROM is best is by you trying them out until you find one you like.

Important features for me:
- Peformance (Speed, RAM management, Stability)
- Connectivity (WIFI, GPS, NFC, Bluetooth)
- Battery Life

I'm used to using Nova Launcher. I don't need fancy add-ons. Functionality and speed has priority. Is there a good ROM to start all testing? Which Android version works best with the device?

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Do you mean I have to look for Custom ROMs based on Android 4.4.2 or 5.0.1? Are there any with security patches? I thought the new Android versions improve performance and save resources.
I said stock! Stock does not mean "custom ROM based on stock", but "straight from Samsung". In short, don't bother with a custom ROM at all. Custom ROMs can do a lot and do it well, but if you're looking for stability and good battery life, a custom ROM is NOT always the best choice.

The price you pay for stability is weakened security since these devices haven't seen a meaningful update in years. Going with a custom ROM means giving up something in favor of increased security, whether it be stability, battery life, connectivity, or something else not mentioned. But only you can decide that, and only you can determine at the end which way to go. Any ROM recommendations I give would be pretty much useless.

zoocha

Jan 1, 2018
I said stock! Stock does not mean "custom ROM based on stock", but "straight from Samsung". In short, don't bother with a custom ROM at all. Custom ROMs can do a lot and do it well, but if you're looking for stability and good battery life, a custom ROM is NOT always the best choice.

The price you pay for stability is weakened security since these devices haven't seen a meaningful update in years. Going with a custom ROM means giving up something in favor of increased security, whether it be stability, battery life, connectivity, or something else not mentioned. But only you can decide that, and only you can determine at the end which way to go. Any ROM recommendations I give would be pretty much useless.
Now I understand. My bad cause i was looking for an specific Android Version.

What about debloated ROMs based on Stock? Aren't they basically Stock but with more memory space? Is it possible to update sercurity patches on Stock ROM this way?

Is there a list with things safe to delete aka debloat everything myself?

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Now I understand. My bad cause i was looking for an specific Android Version.

What about debloated ROMs based on Stock? Aren't they basically Stock but with more memory space? Is it possible to update sercurity patches on Stock ROM this way?

Is there a list with things safe to delete aka debloat everything myself?
Ehh...I'm sorry for snapping at you in my post. It was unwarranted.

The purpose of debloating a stock ROM is to reduce memory consumption by the system. With debloating a ROM, the possibility exists that you delete too much, resulting in a bootloop. I do believe there is a list of safe to remove files available that can help here. But there will be no security patches on any stock ROM since this device predates Google releasing monthly security updates. For that, you'd have to go with LineageOS or AOSP, and doing that may make your device not quite as stable as you may be used to.

Top Liked Posts