Search This thread

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Hi @Strephon Alkhalikoi usually most recent rom are less stable? for example a lineage os based on android 6 or 7 is more compatibile and safe compared an android 11? probably for more compatibility of code/driver etc?

I don't need a rom for nerdy things, but only for great stability and use app for my work, phone don't never crash or reboot
It used to be true that more current versions were less stable, but that hasn't held true for some time. I've never had stability issues on this device. Same holds for my Pixel 2 XL but I digress.

All I can recommend, if my recommendation isn't acceptable, is to play around with the available ROMs for the device and test them to see if they meet your requirements.

blablubb1234

Jun 16, 2015
Samsung Galaxy S4
Honor 5X
Hey everyone,

as this is a noob-friendly thread, I hope I'm in the right spot :)

I will get my hands on a stock ROM Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9506) soon (I don't have it at hand right now).

As the stock ROM is very old and lots of newer apps don't even bother starting anymore, I want to flash a custom ROM (LineageOS 18.1). I did read through the entire thread and I have flashed other phones previously, still I have some specific questions as I haven't flashed any Samsung devices so far (I'll try to be as short and specific as possible):
  • Is there no need to unlock the bootloader of the GT-I9506 before flashing (anything)? I can't seem to find any instructions, so that's my assumption.
  • I will be using ODIN 3.10.7 from here, is that ok?
  • Is it correct to flash TWRP via the AP button in ODIN?
  • Is it correct to flash bootloader/modem via the BL button in ODIN?
  • When should I flash modem/bootloader? Together with TWRP? The instructions don't mention this, here it is done simultaneously however.
  • Is the modem/bootloader file mentioned in the collection thread the only one for the GT-I9506 or do I have to backup the phone's specific modem/bootloader? Can I just flash modem/bootloaders back and forth like recoveries (in case something goes wrong)? Anything specific to check/look out for (besides model number)?
  • I will take a full backup using TWRP ASAP. Will it contain the modem/bootloader or do I have to restore it separately (with the file from the collection or the dedicated backup respectively)?
  • Is OpenGapps ARM 11 pico a proper version?
ADB and drivers are installed properly on my PC, I will check ODIN detects the device properly when I physically have it with me.

Thanks for the help and best regards.

DerGriechisch

Feb 1, 2021
Realme 7 Pro
Hey everyone,

as this is a noob-friendly thread, I hope I'm in the right spot :)

I will get my hands on a stock ROM Galaxy S4 LTE (GT-I9506) soon (I don't have it at hand right now).

As the stock ROM is very old and lots of newer apps don't even bother starting anymore, I want to flash a custom ROM (LineageOS 18.1). I did read through the entire thread and I have flashed other phones previously, still I have some specific questions as I haven't flashed any Samsung devices so far (I'll try to be as short and specific as possible):
  • Is there no need to unlock the bootloader of the GT-I9506 before flashing (anything)? I can't seem to find any instructions, so that's my assumption.
  • I will be using ODIN 3.10.7 from here, is that ok?
  • Is it correct to flash TWRP via the AP button in ODIN?
  • Is it correct to flash bootloader/modem via the BL button in ODIN?
  • When should I flash modem/bootloader? Together with TWRP? The instructions don't mention this, here it is done simultaneously however.
  • Is the modem/bootloader file mentioned in the collection thread the only one for the GT-I9506 or do I have to backup the phone's specific modem/bootloader? Can I just flash modem/bootloaders back and forth like recoveries (in case something goes wrong)? Anything specific to check/look out for (besides model number)?
  • I will take a full backup using TWRP ASAP. Will it contain the modem/bootloader or do I have to restore it separately (with the file from the collection or the dedicated backup respectively)?
  • Is OpenGapps ARM 11 pico a proper version?
ADB and drivers are installed properly on my PC, I will check ODIN detects the device properly when I physically have it with me.

Thanks for the help and best regards.
From my experience, you cant **** up easily.

If Odin 3.10.7 doesn t work use another one, trial and error until u find something that works dont worry about it too much
Also i suggest you use drivers from Kies

If i remember correctly, when you first try to flash anything the phone asks you wheather u want to unlock the bootloader and when you press yes( i think its the up volume button ) the knox thing trips

About modem/bootloader I dont remember doing anything to it its been a while. I had just installed TWRP and did everything from there.

Dont use any files for GT-i9505 or GT-i9500. They have different processor and probably wont work.

About Gapps i suggest you use those from opengapps.org, cant remember wheather its ARM or ARM64. When you try to flash them from TWRP an error will pop up if its the wrong version, again impossible to **** up.

I suggest taking backup of everything before you try anything.

I remember struggling a lot to find some files i needed once so if you can, backup all the stock files and upload them for the community

Hope I helped, have fun and tell us how it goes😄

Reactions: blablubb1234

Bitman7

Jan 13, 2022
Hello, hope this is the right place for my question.
I flashed my glorious Galaxy S4 with LineageOS 17.1 (tried 18 but a few apps wouldn't work, so flashed 17.1) and so far it's working great, it's given a new lease on life to my phone.

The problem is that whenever I turn on the speakerphone, my phone goes into mute and the other party can't hear my voice, even if I shout near the microphone. If I turn the speakerphone off the conversation can continue as normal, but obviously I have to keep my phone near my ear. Is it a LineageOS bug?

I recall having problems with the noise suppression feature with the stock ROM, I had to turn noise cancellation off in order for the other parties to understand me, but I can't find the noise suppression setting in LineageOS 17.1. Hope someone can help.

If this is not the right place for my question, please direct me towards the correct forum.

Last edited:

DerGriechisch

Feb 1, 2021
Realme 7 Pro
Hello, hope this is the right place for my question.
I flashed my glorious Galaxy S4 with LineageOS 17.1 (tried 18 but a few apps wouldn't work, so flashed 17.1) and so far it's working great, it's given a new lease on life to my phone.

The problem is that whenever I turn on the speakerphone, my phone goes into mute and the other party can't hear my voice, even if I shout near the microphone. If I turn the speakerphone off the conversation can continue as normal, but obviously I have to keep my phone near my ear. Is it a LineageOS bug?

I recall having problems with the noise suppression feature with the stock ROM, I had to turn noise cancellation off in order for the other parties to understand me, but I can't find the noise suppression setting in LineageOS 17.1. Hope someone can help.

If this is not the right place for my question, please direct me towards the correct forum.
This sounds like a rom issue I don't think there is much you can do about it.

DerGriechisch

Feb 1, 2021
Realme 7 Pro
Excuse my ignorance. Can't the developers fix it? Is there some channel I can report the problem through? Is there any alternative phone app that might work? Thanks!
The developer can and probably will eventually fix it. Now I am not sure whether an alternative phone app will help, feel free to try it out. The place where you got your rom from is the place to report bugs and please send a log cat together with the report developers love those.

TheSecondOne

Mar 22, 2020
Rich (BB code):
E Vold    : Failed to find mounted volume for /storage/extSdCard/Android/data/app_name_files

Apps crash because of this. Some, not all. Developers tell me not to install to sdcard. But my phone doesn't have sdcard anyway. All the apps I used a while ago are now crashing. Can you tell if this problem is from software or hardware? If there is a solution what is it? The device is i9500, android 5 and stock rom.
Thanks.

Last edited:

gred22

Nov 9, 2022
I am a 69 yr old noobie, all new to me. I have an S4 I9500 and need to get android 7 onto it for a walabot stud finder accessory. I was able to install TWRP and use it to make a nandroid backup. However, the link to the Android 7 ROM in the instructions I was following is empty. I have only been able to find ROMs for I9505, but need it for I9500. Someone elsewhere pointed me to a page for official ROMs but I see they only go up to Android 5. Any advice?

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I am a 69 yr old noobie, all new to me. I have an S4 I9500 and need to get android 7 onto it for a walabot stud finder accessory. I was able to install TWRP and use it to make a nandroid backup. However, the link to the Android 7 ROM in the instructions I was following is empty. I have only been able to find ROMs for I9505, but need it for I9500. Someone elsewhere pointed me to a page for official ROMs but I see they only go up to Android 5. Any advice?
Android file host has a lot of old ROMs, but it simply contains what random people have randomly uploaded. And their search engine is bugged out right now.

I guess you just have to click on a lot of links. A targeted search. Such as "site:androidfilehost.com I9500" may help.

DerGriechisch

Feb 1, 2021
Realme 7 Pro
ROM; https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UCDgHIz6QMiaSLlayzCXS-9NaVVZ3Va5/view?usp=sharing
GAPPS ; https://opengapps.org/ (choose arm, 7.1, nano or preferably pico)

might have bugs, haven't tested it at all but its android 7 for your exact s4 variant
also, Google Play Services don't come preinstalled on this rom,
You need to install gaps
essentially what this does is that is gives you Google Play Services (and therefore the google play store from which you usually install all your apps ).

if you need any further assistance don't hesitate to ask again

Original Post; https://xdaforums.com/t/rom-7-1-1-unofficial-lineageos-14-1-final-build-exynos-i9500.4446011/

all credits for the rom go to

twain55 and Alberto96

gred22

Nov 9, 2022
Thanks so much DerGriechisch, I got sidetracked on another project, but just found your reply and will pursue - update here later. - Mark
I am back to my S4, but I’m confused on the steps, order, and tools to use. To review, I have:

Phone: S4 I9500
All data backed up
Downloaded and installed Odin 3.1.1.0, used to load TWRP
TWRP installed and a nandroid backup made
Followed DerGriechisch’s advice
Downloaded and unzipped:
From first link:
lineage-14.1-20220405-UNOFFICIAL-MONTHLY-ja3gxx.zip
From second link, selected x86_64, 7.1, pico
open_gapps-x86_64-7.1-pico-20220503.zip
Unzipped both but find myself overwhelmed with lots of folders and files -

Which to install, in which order, using which tools

Could someone give me quick step-by-step (I’ve never loaded a ROM or GAPPS)

Thanks

DerGriechisch

Feb 1, 2021
Realme 7 Pro
I am back to my S4, but I’m confused on the steps, order, and tools to use. To review, I have:

Phone: S4 I9500
All data backed up
Downloaded and installed Odin 3.1.1.0, used to load TWRP
TWRP installed and a nandroid backup made
Followed DerGriechisch’s advice
Downloaded and unzipped:
From first link:
lineage-14.1-20220405-UNOFFICIAL-MONTHLY-ja3gxx.zip
From second link, selected x86_64, 7.1, pico
open_gapps-x86_64-7.1-pico-20220503.zip
Unzipped both but find myself overwhelmed with lots of folders and files -

Which to install, in which order, using which tools

Could someone give me quick step-by-step (I’ve never loaded a ROM or GAPPS)

Thanks
You dont have to unzip anything.
After you download the rom as a zip file, you need to copy that zip to your phone's internal storage or preferably to an sd card.
For gapps the procedure is exactly the same. Download the zip and copy it to your phone's internal storage or preferably to an sd card.

I need to point out that you have actually downloaded incorrect gapps.
You have selected x64_64 but you need arm.

After everything is in your phone go to TWRP and
1. install the rom zip file
2. boot into the rom
3. shutdown and again go to twrp
4. flash gapps zip file

Because the s4 only has 16gb of storage I strongly suggest you use an sd card.

gred22

Nov 9, 2022
Thank you so much - you guys are too kind (not complaining). Just got back from visiting a friend in Florida I hadn't seen in decades, next stop - SD card, then we will see, will post results!

gred22

Nov 9, 2022
Thank you so much - you guys are too kind (not complaining). Just got back from visiting a friend in Florida I hadn't seen in decades, next stop - SD card, then we will see, will post results!
A slight delay, max micro SD card for S4 is 64GB, but all mine are larger, for my drones - had to order a card.

gred22

Nov 9, 2022
Well, I get an error when I try to install the first zip - lineag-14.1...........
It says "Can't install this package on top of incompatible data. Please try another package or run a factory reset."
Then in red it says "Updater process ended with ERROR: 7
Error installing zip file (file name)"

Do I look for another package for android 7 for S4 I9500, or do I run a factory reset?

thanks

Attachments

• IMG-6826.jpeg
    IMG-6826.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Top Liked Posts