[Help Thread][Google Pixel 3](2018) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

sravants

Dec 14, 2014
thrissur
HELP... Please.........

I have purchased a used Google pixel 3. But only airtel (an operator )sim card is working on the phone. Other operators sim card is showing signal but it is not fully functioning (can't make or receive calls,same in the case of text message)but Internet is working fine. Is there any solution to solve this?

hsoma94

Feb 25, 2011
Hi everyone!

Ever since 12 got out of beta my wifi keeps bugging out from time to time. I can't even open the network settings, only a full restart solves the issue. I did a factory reset too.

At work the wifi works just fine and when I get home I am suddenly not able to connect to anything and vice versa.

I've got the final OTA.

Sorry, if it's already been answered!
Any help is appreciated!

mikolej

May 15, 2022
Hello all,

I am definitely new to xda and somewhat of a Noob to Android hacking/development, though not totally unfamiliar. I posted this as its own thread but then I found this thread. It seems I should have posted my question here.

Any help on this matter is appreciated.

Thanks!

nasch007

Sep 19, 2014
Google Pixel 3
HELP... Please.........

I have purchased a used Google pixel 3. But only airtel (an operator )sim card is working on the phone. Other operators sim card is showing signal but it is not fully functioning (can't make or receive calls,same in the case of text message)but Internet is working fine. Is there any solution to solve this?
Sorry it is over a month old, but do you have other APNs that show up? Perhaps the SIM card is being read but the APNs are not being connected to?

nasch007

Sep 19, 2014
Google Pixel 3
Greetings, all!

Boy do I feel like a noob.

I did a bonehead move (again) and wondering how to fix it.

I read about someone adding a custom Dyslexia font into LineageOS and that got me thinking... why can't you just add any custom font you want? Thought I'd try it out for funsies.

So I followed the guidance I found and did the following:
- Copied the font I wanted to use into /system/fonts/
- Edited /system/etc/fonts.xml and added the following entries:
<family name="ubuntu-reg">
<font weight="300" style="normal">Ubuntu-Light.ttf</font>
<font weight="300" style="italic">Ubuntu-LightItalic.ttf</font>
<font weight="400" style="normal">Ubuntu-Regular.ttf</font>
<font weight="400" style="italic">Ubuntu-Italic.ttf</font>
<font weight="500" style="normal">Ubuntu-Medium.ttf</font>
<font weight="500" style="italic">Ubuntu-MediumItalic.ttf</font>
<font weight="700" style="normal">Ubuntu-Bold.ttf</font>
<font weight="700" style="italic">Ubuntu-BoldItalic.ttf</font>
</family>
<alias name="sans-serif-light" to="ubuntu-reg" weight="300" />
<alias name="sans-serif-medium" to="ubuntu-reg" weight="500" />
I rebooted my phone and now it is stuck at the LineageOS logo, won't proceed any further.

... bad, but it gets worse.

I can still boot into recovery, so I decided to reboot into recovery and use ADB. I was able to pull the file, remove the edits, and push it back after mounting /system as writable (strangely it mounts as mnt/system/system/etc). Still bootloop. So at this point I'm figuring maybe permissions error??

My phone never likes to OTA update, so I figured well now as a good a time as any. I rebooted into recovery, downloaded the latest nightly build for blueline, and from the Lineage recovery menu chose Apply update, Apply Update from ADB. I am wondering if this was not the way (do you know the way?)... it errored out at 47%, but I recall that being normal. The phone itself said Step 2/2 and just stayed on that with no output for >10 minutes. So I tapped the back button in the Recovery menu and reboot.

Now stuck at the LineageOS loading splash.

What can I do here... did I apply the update incorrectly? Do I need to chmod or chown the file(s) I edited?

Still have recovery and ADB access... decent enough with the shell, but then again that just means I know enough to be dangerous lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

adabo

Sep 7, 2012
Is there a way to block gif searches on this device? I need parental controls but none of the controls I found are able to lock out gif searches. The gboard app is used virtually in every app that needs texting, and from there you can search gifs using the gboard keyboard.

I thought about blocking the domains at the router level, but that won't stop them from turning off WiFi and using regular data plan to search.

I don't know where else to get help for this. Thank you very much for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated.

nasch007

Sep 19, 2014
Google Pixel 3
Greetings, all!

Boy do I feel like a noob.

I did a bonehead move (again) and wondering how to fix it.

I read about someone adding a custom Dyslexia font into LineageOS and that got me thinking... why can't you just add any custom font you want? Thought I'd try it out for funsies.

So I followed the guidance I found and did the following:
- Copied the font I wanted to use into /system/fonts/
- Edited /system/etc/fonts.xml and added the following entries:

I rebooted my phone and now it is stuck at the LineageOS logo, won't proceed any further.

... bad, but it gets worse.

I can still boot into recovery, so I decided to reboot into recovery and use ADB. I was able to pull the file, remove the edits, and push it back after mounting /system as writable (strangely it mounts as mnt/system/system/etc). Still bootloop. So at this point I'm figuring maybe permissions error??

My phone never likes to OTA update, so I figured well now as a good a time as any. I rebooted into recovery, downloaded the latest nightly build for blueline, and from the Lineage recovery menu chose Apply update, Apply Update from ADB. I am wondering if this was not the way (do you know the way?)... it errored out at 47%, but I recall that being normal. The phone itself said Step 2/2 and just stayed on that with no output for >10 minutes. So I tapped the back button in the Recovery menu and reboot.

Now stuck at the LineageOS loading splash.

What can I do here... did I apply the update incorrectly? Do I need to chmod or chown the file(s) I edited?

Still have recovery and ADB access... decent enough with the shell, but then again that just means I know enough to be dangerous lol

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Just an update, I was able to remedy the situation. Redownloaded the latest Lineage recovery and nightly. Flashed recovery, then nightly, then nikgapps, addons, and finally magiskv23 (which is what I had). Was able to boot and seems to be working normally.... since I guess this is all a dirty flash, I expect some issues but at least I can snag my data and make preparations for a clean boot. Just posting here in case this can help anyone else.

nasch007

Sep 19, 2014
Google Pixel 3
Is there a way to block gif searches on this device? I need parental controls but none of the controls I found are able to lock out gif searches. The gboard app is used virtually in every app that needs texting, and from there you can search gifs using the gboard keyboard.

I thought about blocking the domains at the router level, but that won't stop them from turning off WiFi and using regular data plan to search.

I don't know where else to get help for this. Thank you very much for reading and any help would be greatly appreciated.
What do you mean by GIF searches? You mean when sending messages? Or some other context...

adabo

Sep 7, 2012
What do you mean by GIF searches? You mean when sending messages? Or some other context...
I mean, let's say, for example, you are using the text messenger and typing your text, there is a little bar above the keyboard that has icons. One says 'GIF'. When you tap that it opens up a gif search function. I want to block this function so that no gifs (images) will show, or altogether remove the gif feature from the keyboard. (See attachments)

Attachments

• gif button.png
    gif button.png
    181.5 KB · Views: 3
  • gif search.png
    gif search.png
    752.9 KB · Views: 3

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Google Pixel 3

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
    Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    Plan on buying direct from Google for the first time. If I port to a U.S. carrier, will I rely upon them for updates and not get them when Google releases them? Can the carrier, and will they likely, lock the bootloader?

You get the updates directly from Google. Verizon did something incredible were they actually released an update, monthly security patch I believe, even before Google did.
    Hi everyone,

I am hoping that this is the right place to ask my million question. Please note that I am relatively new to the Android ecosystem and will probably require for you to explain it to me like I am five years old.

I am located in Australia and currently using a Pixel 3 - less than a month old.

I was stumbled upon a YouTube video showing how you could unlock Android Auto - if you rooted your phone.

Additionally, I found a post on Reddit last night with instructions for how I could enable Google's Call Screen function in Australia.

The Call Screen would be great! It was literally the selling point for me, when I picked up the phone - only to find out that it was not an option in Australia.

I am clueless when it comes to technology, let alone rooting, so I have a few questions:

1. Is it possible to root the phone and maintain the Stock OS and Launcher. I absolutely love my stock Pixel, and would like to keep using it as is - without losing any of the functionality.

2. I use Google Pay, a lot - literally multiple times through the day. From what I understand, rooting a phone stops Google Pay from working. Is there a way to keep Google Pay active and still have a rooted (stock) phone?

3. How does rooting effect updates? I am really looking forward to Android Q - is it easy enough to self-push an update to the phone?

4. How exactly do I do all of this? Please explain it to me like I am five.

Thank you so much for your time and for reading this. I am hoping that someone is able to help me.

1) yes. Root is like giving you administrator privileges to do more with your phone. It doesn't really change the look, just how the apps work. Think of it like when Windows pops up and asks you to approve an action and sometimes requires an admin password, it's sort of like that. Apps must be explicitly granted root access by you and you should only grant root access to apps your trust.

2) It is my understanding that Google Pay does not work with an unlocked bootloader (required for rooting), but there are ways to trick the phone into thinking that it is not unlocked/rooted. I believe it is an addon module for magisk.

3) Updates won't work. Because the phone is modified, you can't simply take the update as normal when it comes out each month. The update process is a bit different but you can still get updates, sometimes it involves unrooting, taking the update and then rooting again.

4) there are loads of guides for how to root. This one came up in a quick Google search: https://www.xda-developers.com/google-pixel-3-unlock-bootloader-root-magisk/

All that being said, I haven't rooted a phone in a few years (not since Pixel 1). The methods have changed quite a bit as SuperSU became less popular and magisk became the go to for root access. You mentioned you're new to Android and while tinkering with things is a lot of fun, understand there are risks. You could brick your phone or be without it for hours or days if something goes wrong.

A few other notes: unlocking the bootloader requires a full wipe of the phone. You will lose all data. Some other apps won't work with root/unlocked bootloader. Banking apps, Pokemon Go, et al will not work if Safety Net fails, similar to Google Pay.

I haven't seen any videos about getting Call Screen working outside the US, but I haven't really been looking, not sure if that is a valid claim or not. Regarding Android Auto, does that not work in Australia? I don't know if root is need to achieve that.
    Hello Community. Please guide me to buy Pixel 3. I am getting it from Flipkart refurbished phones section for Rs. 10,559. is it really worth that much. i am really on tight budget. Big fan of custom roms. that is why i badly needed this one. Please shred a light on this masters
    Phone is worth buying for 10k. But flipkart is a fraud ecommerce site. Once you purchased from there you have no option to replacement and return it back even if the mobile has a genuine defect. I have experienced this just before. I have purchased a refurbished pixel 3 but only airtel sim cards will work in the phone right now. As a bsnl customer I don't wanna port to airtel. So I have tried several ways to get the refund back but all of the request get rejected. Flipkart is not loyal to the customers. Try to buy this If you can get it from Amazon. Amazon is the best ecommerce which value their customers.