South Dakota
goo.gl
[SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Google Pixel 3 XL

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
List of supporters
...​
To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

stupidis

Jun 9, 2017
TWRP and root

How long does it typically take for the devs to get TWRP and root on a new device? Are there concerns about the difficulty of these with android 9 and Pixel 3?

Last edited:
Reactions: swieder711

Face_Plant

Mar 24, 2014
Sykesville
How long does it typically take for the devs to get TWRP and root on a new device? Are there concerns about the difficulty of these with android 9 and Pixel 3?
If the latest Magisk already supports the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, then root should be ready to go when the Pixel 3 and 3 XL are released. The Pixel 2 and 2 XL also run Android 9 and are A/B slot treble devices like the Pixel 3 and 3 XL should be. The only issue is you'll need a way to install Magisk, which is where TWRP comes in. Being a Google device, I'd imagine that some form of TWRP (official or unofficial) will hopefully be released within a few weeks after the Pixel 3 and 3 XL are released.

If TWRP and root are a concern for you, be super sure you don't purchase a Verizon device. "OEM unlocking" in developer options is typically disabled on Verizon Pixel devices and if you can't unlock the bootloader, then you can't install TWRP, and without TWRP you can't install Magisk, and without Magisk you have no root.

stupidis

Jun 9, 2017
Thank You

Especially Thanks for this - In my early android days this would have saved me a lot of headache. I only buy phones now that are unlock friendly. Current device is Nexus six. Bought OP 6 because I thought surely their support / customer service has improved in the 6 years since I had to deal with them (have 2 OP 1's) - No luck, they need to work on their customer care.
If TWRP and root are a concern for you, be super sure you don't purchase a Verizon device. "OEM unlocking" in developer options is typically disabled on Verizon Pixel devices and if you can't unlock the bootloader, then you can't install TWRP, and without TWRP you can't install Magisk, and without Magisk you have no root.
misc useless info:
My first device that I really started digging around android was an HTC One-s - Learned quite a bit with that - root, s-off, super CID, etc, - Thought I bricked it multiple times, but it turned out to be soft brick.
Borked radios and had to fix them.

God I love android - Say no to bloatware, privacy abuses etc etc - only buy unlock friendly Devices then all manufacturers will become more unlock friendly.

Last edited:

scloutkst

Mar 26, 2011
Chicago
It will be interesting to see if that titan security chip they're touting will have any impact on gaining root access.
This was my only thought when they announced the security chip. Especially since they said one of its primary jobs is to ensure OS integrity. If this prevents root, I will be selling the device and going back to my 2 xl. I can surely go at least another year with the iffy screen.

Xzirus

May 27, 2014
I am thinking about Pre-ordering the Pixel 3 XL ( coming from the Nexus 6p It's old and dying ). Does anyone have any experience buying the unlocked phone from google directly? I am currently with Verizon, but don't want the phone to be locked to them. If I buy the unlocked phone from them will it still work on Verizon?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

destiple

Sep 24, 2009
Lincoln
I am thinking about Pre-ordering the Pixel 3 XL ( coming from the Nexus 6p It's old and dying ). Does anyone have any experience buying the unlocked phone from google directly? I am currently with Verizon, but don't want the phone to be locked to them. If I buy the unlocked phone from them will it still work on Verizon?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
I've bought several phones directly from Google (unlocked). They'll work all major network's system.

Reactions: Xzirus

Ozark_8125

Sep 19, 2007
Springfield, MO
I preordered on Fi but I just saw the $50 credit they had on the Google store, so thinking maybe I should cancel the Fi order and switch to the play store...

Actually looks like maybe the best deal is to buy 2 on Fi and sell one after a month of service on it for the $799 service credit.

Last edited:

rbrenart

Jul 26, 2013
Has anyone seen a hands on review that mentions whether or not the wireless charging includes the magnets that the Nexus 5 has? Made it super convenient for in car mounts with magnets (with or without charging).

Reactions: lndshark