[Help Thread][Google Pixel 3 XL](2018) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

AjaySp

Dec 20, 2014
sending 'boot' (31044 KB)...
trying to root q i keep getting this error
ant help is really appreciated.
OKAY [ 1.032s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: Failed to write to partition Not Found)
finished. total time: 1.100s

jd1639

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
sending 'boot' (31044 KB)...
trying to root q i keep getting this error
ant help is really appreciated.
OKAY [ 1.032s]
writing 'boot'...
FAILED (remote: Failed to write to partition Not Found)
finished. total time: 1.100s
What version of fastboot are you using? Update your platform tools.

masri1987

Jun 27, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
not sure what i'm doing wrong but i downlaoded the app-release magisk canary, extracted boot img, patched it, flashed it using fastboot flash boot magisk_patched.img and booted up and i'm still not rooted?

galeej

Oct 6, 2011
Melbourne
www.theinfectedmind.com
I switched from iPhone to Pixel 3 XL after 2 years mainly because of the stunning photos that Pixel shoots. I have been dealing with custom roms when I used to have OnePlus but out of these 2 years I am not updated with activities around flashing,unlocking etc. So before I brick my phone, I need help to understand couple of things.
1) I have opted in for beta Q and currently on latest Q build that I received OTA from Google. So the tools for Unlocking bootloader,flashing TWRP etc work with Android Q?
2) I have been using the phone for close to 6 months now and have good amount of data to backup. I use Syncthing to backup files across my Macbook. Have taken backup of config file so that I can import again and retain the configurations. Anyone using Syncthing and facing issues after flashing a custom rom?
3) Does the custom rom (anything or most preferred) come with Google Camera or any other? Do I get the same quality of photos with custom roms?
4) Which custom rom is recommended ? I'm not interested in UI, it should be fast,would prefer degoogled.
5) Can I use this to start unlocking bootloader?

quinejh

Feb 17, 2012
well, I've got a problem and its got me baffled. I'm using platform tools 2.904 and trying to flash the latest factory image, it flashed the bootloader ok then stops and says unable to open the image file press any key to exit, I've tried my pc and my laptop both are doing the same thing. I'm almost to the point of installing Linux. both of my computers are running beta versions of windows 10 but that has never been an issue before. anyone have any ideas?

quinejh

Feb 17, 2012
well, I've got a problem and its got me baffled. I'm using platform tools 2.904 and trying to flash the latest factory image, it flashed the bootloader ok then stops and says unable to open the image file press any key to exit, I've tried my pc and my laptop both are doing the same thing. I'm almost to the point of installing Linux. both of my computers are running beta versions of windows 10 but that has never been an issue before. anyone have any ideas?
I figured it out. I had to completely uninstall all my files and delete all my downloads and start completely over. but this fixed the issue.

Haas360

Dec 22, 2010
Logan
Hey guys, I haven't been active in Flashing and XDA since my Galaxy S2... Oh boy. Wondering if you can point me to some important threads I can read up on. I see Magisk is important but have no idea what it is, I see TWRP is not avail on 10 YET. I'm on a Google bought pixel so the bootloader should be good to be unlocked.

Thanks

Homeboy76

Aug 24, 2012

xSpite

May 19, 2018
So I have a rooted Pixel 3 XL on stock rom, and I'm using Magisk hide, and my play store still says that my device is certified, but I still can't download certain apps from the playstore(like Netflix) . I know I can just download the apps from apk mirror or something like that, but is there a way to fix it so I can download from the play store again? Is it detecting that my bootloader is still unlocked? Is that even an issue?

spam3234

Sep 19, 2019
New York City
My Pixel is stuck in fastboot w/ Enter Reason: no valid slot to boot.

I downloaded a ROM zip, loaded up TWRP, did a factory reset, then I rebooted into TWRP 10-15x because it wouldn't prompt for the decryption password, one time while rebooting into recovery it loaded into fastboot saying "no valid slot to boot." If I try to load TWRP it loads into fastboot with Enter Reason: error booting boot.img

ADB does not recognize my device either so I can't sideload TWRP. Could anyone recommend a possible solution?

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
So I have a rooted Pixel 3 XL on stock rom, and I'm using Magisk hide, and my play store still says that my device is certified, but I still can't download certain apps from the playstore(like Netflix) . I know I can just download the apps from apk mirror or something like that, but is there a way to fix it so I can download from the play store again? Is it detecting that my bootloader is still unlocked? Is that even an issue?
You may have moved on by now, but try issuing Magisk hide on play services, then clear data and cache from play store and play services.

I downloaded a ROM zip, loaded up TWRP, did a factory reset, then I rebooted into TWRP 10-15x because it wouldn't prompt for the decryption password, one time while rebooting into recovery it loaded into fastboot saying "no valid slot to boot." If I try to load TWRP it loads into fastboot with Enter Reason: error booting boot.img

ADB does not recognize my device either so I can't sideload TWRP. Could anyone recommend a possible solution?
Have you tried Fastboot flashing a stock ROM?

Reactions: spam3234

quinejh

Feb 17, 2012
Can anyone tell me if bubbles are working on the November update. I see the options in some apps and I have it turned on in Dev options but have yet to see it work.

IamNe0

Nov 24, 2019
Is it possible to create a custom camera app that has the Night Sight functionality?

Google's blog post (I cannot post a link yet) talks about how to write codes with Camera 1 API and Camera 2 API such that the app can use the HDR+ functionality of the Pixel device. Is it possible to use other functionalities too, like Night Sight?

spam3234

Sep 19, 2019
New York City

Have you tried Fastboot flashing a stock ROM?
Thank you for the suggestion, (I realize I'm a month late.)

I just want to make a clarification, where I said "fastboot" above, I meant bootloader.

Anyway, the issue I was having, aside from adb not recognizing my device when it should, was that I also was using the adb command while in the bootloader, as I forgot you are supposed to use fastboot when in the bootloader. Once I realized my mistake, I was able to simply boot to the TWRP Recovery image I downloaded, use that to flash TWRP, and so on.

Last edited:

quinejh

Feb 17, 2012
I'm getting the pixel 4xl this afternoon. My girlfriend wants to keep the P2 so I'm trying to decide what to do with the P3. Can anyone give me an idea and how much I should ask for it?

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
I'm getting the pixel 4xl this afternoon. My girlfriend wants to keep the P2 so I'm trying to decide what to do with the P3. Can anyone give me an idea and how much I should ask for it?
Take a look on swappa.com for comparables. A bootloader unlockable is worth more than one which can't be unlocked (e.g. Verizon).

quinejh

Feb 17, 2012
Take a look on swappa.com for comparables. A bootloader unlockable is worth more than one which can't be unlocked (e.g. Verizon).
Thanks. It's direct from the Google store. Been unlocked since day 1. I was gonna lock it just because of the bootloader flag at start-up