[Help Thread][Google Pixel 3 XL](2018) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

iamjohn2407

Jul 14, 2009
This might be a simple question for many of you, but I have been looking at gettjnv a pixel 3 xl to try Google fi, however there seem to be issues with various versions not having cdma activated, I did find out that it is a software problem not hardware so I was wondering if you could activate the cdma by rooting/flashing this device? Otherwise I'll have to keep looking for a specific brand of unlocked phone to buy.

Thanks.

ktmom

Retired Forum Moderator
Apr 22, 2015
Deep Space Station K7
This might be a simple question for many of you, but I have been looking at gettjnv a pixel 3 xl to try Google fi, however there seem to be issues with various versions not having cdma activated, I did find out that it is a software problem not hardware so I was wondering if you could activate the cdma by rooting/flashing this device? Otherwise I'll have to keep looking for a specific brand of unlocked phone to buy.

Thanks.
I'm not aware of "various versions not having CDMA activated". There are two versions; Verizon and Google store. They are differentiated by the first two digits of the IMEI where 35 denotes a Verizon model and 99 a Google store model. The difficulty with the Verizon models, and why they are usually cheaper when sold online, is they can not be rooted. They have a bootloader that is permanently locked.

iamjohn2407

Jul 14, 2009
I'm not aware of "various versions not having CDMA activated". There are two versions; Verizon and Google store. They are differentiated by the first two digits of the IMEI where 35 denotes a Verizon model and 99 a Google store model. The difficulty with the Verizon models, and why they are usually cheaper when sold online, is they can not be rooted. They have a bootloader that is permanently locked.
That might be the case for the bootloader, hopefully that is fixed, but the international versions of the phone do not have the cdma activated.

I bought one before I got a response here to use with Google fi service, it's a 35 version so it will work for now but I do hope there is a fix for rooting it at some point also as I tend to use my phones for many years.

Sam Nakamura

Retired Forum Moderator
Dec 7, 2015
Landshut (Ndb.)
Hey Friends!

I switched from a P2XL to a P3XL just 10 days or so ago and I'm a little shocked actually... Battery life is a bummer!

Both devices were bought used, the P2XL hast 88% of it's original design battery capacity, the P3XL has 94% yet it lasts my like significantly less than the P2XL...

I read lots of posts confirming that impression and my AccuBattery logs confirm that to as fact, the idle and active drain is definitely higher, idle goes up from around 1% to close to 3% and active from around 10 to around 15% - unfortunately it manifests and aren't first day impressions!

I just don't get it what Google ****ed up this time, don't get me wrong, I'm a lover of Google devices and know about their amount of lemons they have in their production - I was always lucky not getting a lemon, from the N4, N5, N5x, N6, N7, P2XL and I refuse to believe that the battery life issue here on the P3XL is because it's faulty but rather a general problem, which is much worse of course, this way you cannot even RMA it away!

What's going on here, any hints or links on posts/articles with more substantial information on energy efficiency than pure impressions would be much appreciated!

Still trying to understand what's going on here...

Is there a regression in energy efficiency on the Pixel 3 hardware compared to it's predecessor?

It can't be the SD845, I think, but what else then sucks so much more juicy compared to it's previous hardware generation?

It's awful to suddenly again need to charge up the device in the afternoon, didn't had to do this in a long time!

Sent from my Google Pixel 3 XL using XDA Labs

Attachments

sparkeymat

Jun 10, 2014
Demotte
This is my first Pixel device. I've unlocked and rooted every other Android phone I have had before this one. What I can't seem to figure out is if I unlock the bootloader but not root will I still be able to update ota or will I have to sideload updates?

MasterSajid

Dec 24, 2013
Dhaka
Hi there I rooted my phone on March and it didn't receive any updates ever since. it has magisk installed. How can I upgrade to the latest firmware with or without auto update? A video link would be helpful too.

RagedElimanator

Feb 16, 2016
Hi there I rooted my phone on March and it didn't receive any updates ever since. it has magisk installed. How can I upgrade to the latest firmware with or without auto update? A video link would be helpful too.
Unroot you phone by flashing the stock boot.img and that should allow the ota to go through. If it does not go here on chrome https://flash.android.com/welcome?continue=/custom and follow the instructions carefully.

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 AM ----------

Hey Friends!

I switched from a P2XL to a P3XL just 10 days or so ago and I'm a little shocked actually... Battery life is a bummer!

Both devices were bought used, the P2XL hast 88% of it's original design battery capacity, the P3XL has 94% yet it lasts my like significantly less than the P2XL...

I read lots of posts confirming that impression and my AccuBattery logs confirm that to as fact, the idle and active drain is definitely higher, idle goes up from around 1% to close to 3% and active from around 10 to around 15% - unfortunately it manifests and aren't first day impressions!

I just don't get it what Google ****ed up this time, don't get me wrong, I'm a lover of Google devices and know about their amount of lemons they have in their production - I was always lucky not getting a lemon, from the N4, N5, N5x, N6, N7, P2XL and I refuse to believe that the battery life issue here on the P3XL is because it's faulty but rather a general problem, which is much worse of course, this way you cannot even RMA it away!

What's going on here, any hints or links on posts/articles with more substantial information on energy efficiency than pure impressions would be much appreciated!

Still trying to understand what's going on here...

Is there a regression in energy efficiency on the Pixel 3 hardware compared to it's predecessor?

It can't be the SD845, I think, but what else then sucks so much more juicy compared to it's previous hardware generation?

It's awful to suddenly again need to charge up the device in the afternoon, didn't had to do this in a long time!
Try Kiri kernel I am not exactly sure what it is, but have hunch it could be some "optimizations" Google made in regards to the ram.

Sam Nakamura

Retired Forum Moderator
Dec 7, 2015
Landshut (Ndb.)
Try Kiri kernel I am not exactly sure what it is, but have hunch it could be some "optimizations" Google made in regards to the ram.
Thanks for the suggestion, I however lost my P3XL on the accident I had... Both legs broken lol :rolleyes: and hospitalized, now using a ****ty p10 (EMUI sucks so hard) but I'm certainly I'm joining the Pixel soon again, likely with the 4a or something!

Last edited:

rowhoss

Aug 1, 2020
Screen Freezing

When phone is unlocked and screen on it'll never freeze. It will freeze when locked and only a hard reboot or plugging in something will unfreeze. I just have to wiggle the port with a USB-C connector. As you see, I cut a connector off the cord and it'll unfreeze it every time. I tried safe mode and factory reset and no dice. Running latest Android update and July security patch. USB-C connector only detected on one side. If flipped over, phone will not detect.

The issue started the day i went to the pool. Phone was never submerged but did get splashed on. Screen has cracks so maybe it got wet. i dried in rice a few days.

Would a custom kernel have a chance at fixing? Total noob question but could the phone be altered to think its charging all the time? If the phone is on the charger, it never freezes even when the phone is locked

I cant post links yet but I made a quick youtube video of the issue. You can find it by searching "pixel 3 xl freezing issue" and it has 4 views or so

muhammad42620

Aug 2, 2019
When phone is unlocked and screen on it'll never freeze. It will freeze when locked and only a hard reboot or plugging in something will unfreeze. I just have to wiggle the port with a USB-C connector. As you see, I cut a connector off the cord and it'll unfreeze it every time. I tried safe mode and factory reset and no dice. Running latest Android update and July security patch. USB-C connector only detected on one side. If flipped over, phone will not detect.

The issue started the day i went to the pool. Phone was never submerged but did get splashed on. Screen has cracks so maybe it got wet. i dried in rice a few days.

Would a custom kernel have a chance at fixing? Total noob question but could the phone be altered to think its charging all the time? If the phone is on the charger, it never freezes even when the phone is locked

I cant post links yet but I made a quick youtube video of the issue. You can find it by searching "pixel 3 xl freezing issue" and it has 4 views or so
That is a hardware issue and I experienced it with my phone too. Don't know why it does that, but replacing the charging module in the bottom seems to fix the issue. My guess is that the charging module itself is fried and the charger can't recognize the phone.

bloibler

Aug 5, 2020
Hi there, total noob here. I've looked around to find what I'm looking for but can't find anything solid, though I'm sure it's here somewhere. If someone can point me in the right direction that would be great....basically my Pixel 3 XL sh*t itself, not sure if it was hacked or what but after a factory reset I can't log in using a pin, I've tried logging in using my Google account but it just says 'please log in using an account of the owner' even though I get a security notification via email. I assume to be able to use my device again I will need to flash it with a stock os using a computer? Please help as I really want to be able to use this phone again. Some details of my device:
Product version: crosshatch MP1.0(ROW)
Bootloader version: b1c1-0.2-6085603
Baseband version: g845-00096-200114-B-6134206
Secure boot: Production
NOS production: yes
DRAM: 4GB Micron LPDDR4X
UFS: 64GB Micron
Device state: Locked
Boot slot: b
Enter reason: combo key

Any help is appreciated!

muhammad42620

Aug 2, 2019
Reflash

I don't know about the PIN problem but you definitely need to reflash the OS but don't do it the normal way because that will wipe the system and data. You need to flash the OS to the slot A and then set the default to A as well. If you need further help then you can reply, PM me or add me on Telegram: +923327138007

bloibler

Aug 5, 2020
I don't know about the PIN problem but you definitely need to reflash the OS but don't do it the normal way because that will wipe the system and data. You need to flash the OS to the slot A and then set the default to A as well. If you need further help then you can reply, PM me or add me on Telegram: +923327138007
Thanks Muhammad. As I said I am a total noob so I if you can direct me as to how to flash a standard os (I don't want to root right now, just get back to normal) that would be great. It can't be done OTA so I will need to know how to download the right stuff and procedure involved. Thanks in advance.

muhammad42620

Aug 2, 2019
Sure

Sure. All you need to do is download this image here: https://dl.google.com/dl/android/aosp/crosshatch-qq3a.200805.001-factory-38ae2ec5.zip
Then, extract the zip file inside the zip you downloaded and then copy product.img and system. IMG to your adb and fastboot tools folder. After doing that plug your phone in while powered on and then run this command:
adb reboot bootloader
After that run these commands:
fastboot flash product_a product.img
fastboot flash system_a system.img
fastboot --set-active_a
Let me know what happens.

Last edited:

CruelSun

Dec 8, 2014
Lawn-Gisland
Screen Sharing/Screen Mirroring/Casting from Pixel 3XL to Samsung Smart TV?

Is there a workaround for this?

My 3 XL is rooted.

My Pixel 3 XL and the Samsung smart TV are on the same network and connected by Bluetooth. I can use the phone as a TV remote with the Samsung SmartThings app. But in settings>connected devices>connection preferences>cast, it says"not connected" and there are no devices listed.
In a reddit thread on the subject someone mentions that It could be done on a rooted phone...

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

muhammad42620

Aug 2, 2019
Cannot be rooted or can be rooted? If it's the former then the carrier lacked models such as the Verizon and T-Mobile one. Other than that the UK models that are carrier locked cannot be rooted. Other than that all models can be rooted because they are unlocked

blushrts

Jul 15, 2010
Unlocking the bootloader will have no effect on your SIM or any SIM unlocking. It will however wipe your data, so backup first. There is no avoiding that.
Interesting. I have non Verizon model pixel 3 XL and when I unlock the bootloader my sim doesn't work. On stock 11, stock August build of 10, and 2 custom ROMs I tried.

I've never seen this before on any phone I've had. Anyone have any ideas? I'd love to run a custom rom or kernel to get better battery life.

muhammad42620

Aug 2, 2019
It could be that your phone's modem is being wiped, but that is sometimes impossible. You could, however, reflash some parts of the OS from fastboot except system, product, boot and bootloader. If that does not fix it, it could be a bigger problem