[Help Thread][Google Pixel 3 XL](2018) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

note-script

Nov 16, 2020
FAILED (remote: 'Not allowed to flash (modem_a)')

Just installed the latest platform-tools
Still receiving FAILED (remote: not allowed to flash (modem_a))

Edit: I was able to sideload and took care of the issue. Thanks

I encountered the same mistake as you. How did you solve it? Look forward to your reply.

Risingsunn

Jul 26, 2009
Good afternoon all,
I acquired my Pixel 3 XL second hand and already running Android 11. Everything on the phone works great, EXCEPT that the Bluetooth range is under 2 feet. I have spent hours pouring through the forums to find an answer (so yes, I have done my due dilligence;)). I have tried factory resetting the phone, resetting the play store, clearing the cache, tweaking Bluetooth settings in Dev Options, but nothing seems to work. I know my headset is not the issue as it has great range on my older Galaxy S6. I know I may have missed something though, but I have all but given up hope of getting it corrected. I am thinking about possibly going to a custom ROM to see if that would work.
My question is would a custom ROM have the same Bluetooth issues? Obviously, if it is hardware, then a new ROM will not make any difference, I just want to get as much info as possible before I jump into flashing it.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Josh D

EDIT: So I flashed to latest Lineage 18, and no luck. The Bluetooth range is still 2-3 ft before it starts stuttering. For grins and giggles, and since I read that people started having the issue after the first android 10 updates, I flashed all the way back to the second Android 9 stock ROM available, still no luck. So my issue seems like a hardware problem. Really bums me out, I was loving it too. First used phone I have had that I did not feel the need to install a custom ROM on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ C'est la vie.

Last edited:

digitalmatrixio

May 20, 2008
CT
Any suggestions on how to successfully 'fastboot flashing unlock'? I can issue the command and select the option on the phone to unlock but then the screen blanks for 10 minutes before sending me back to the bootloader with the phone still locked.

Back story:
After this month's patch my 3 XL started rebooting daily. I Went through and cleared out a ton of apps to no avail. Completed a factory reset and did NOT allow Google to restore the phone and with no additional apps installed only automatically updating the ones on the base install with it still rebooting daily. Once I realized this was potentially going to be an issue with something in the image I selected the option to allow unlocking in dev settings.

More details about the issue:
When getting into the bootloader and issuing the 'fastboot flashing unlock' the device appears to operate normally - I press a vol key to select to unlock and press power then the screen goes blank. I immediately lose USB access from the computer (device disconnect but no device reconnect sound) but the screen stays blank for about 10 minutes before it goes back to the bootloader and indicates that the device is still locked but displays no error. If I just boot the device at that point it is clear that the wipe of user data step of the unlock was successful as it needs to be set back up again. This is a device I received new from Google this past August via RMA and it has never been unlocked but I am very familiar with the process as I had all of the Nexus phones and was very into using custom ROMs back in those days.

Thank you in advance for any assistance.

firultd

Dec 20, 2011
Hello any good guy can tell me wich OTA choose from google developer page, because have a pixel 3xl and have no idea wich carrier or region is, just bought from second hand.

Marko3300

Oct 3, 2021
Hi,
Good morning everyone at XDA-Developers
This is my first question on this forum.
I have a strange problem with my Pixel 3xl from today
Yesterday it was okay, but today, I picked it up and it turned out to be a black screen. I still felt the work of the vibration, but after a while it also disappeared.
I broke the phone for half a day and nothing - no effect. Nothing appears on the screen, no response to buttons and button combinations.

Is there any application that can check the phone status?
Can it be reset from a PC?
How to force it to connect in service mode?

There is still a possibility that the battery is completely discharged - but after half a day the phone should come to life?

So far, there have been no problems with him in this regard.

Thanks in advance for the hints
regards

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Hi,
Good morning everyone at XDA-Developers
This is my first question on this forum.
I have a strange problem with my Pixel 3xl from today
Yesterday it was okay, but today, I picked it up and it turned out to be a black screen. I still felt the work of the vibration, but after a while it also disappeared.
I broke the phone for half a day and nothing - no effect. Nothing appears on the screen, no response to buttons and button combinations.

Is there any application that can check the phone status?
Can it be reset from a PC?
How to force it to connect in service mode?

There is still a possibility that the battery is completely discharged - but after half a day the phone should come to life?

So far, there have been no problems with him in this regard.

Thanks in advance for the hints
regards
The problem could be several things, a bad app, bad screen, other hardware or software issues.

If you want to try to remote wipe see this link.

If that doesn't work
Connect it to a Windows pc, if it's powered on it will show up in Device manager.
Post how it is listed.

Reactions: Marko3300

Marko3300

Oct 3, 2021
The problem could be several things, a bad app, bad screen, other hardware or software issues.

If you want to try to remote wipe see this link.

If that doesn't work
Connect it to a Windows pc, if it's powered on it will show up in Device manager.
Post how it is listed.
Not much is happening.
Black screen.
No vibration, sound type reaction.

I replaced the battery with another one, no changes.

Only what - then I can put the phone in the mode visible in the windows device manager as "Android Sooner Single ADB Interface"

KJ7LNW

Jun 20, 2021
Hello all,

I'm considering purchasing a Pixel 3 XL for my wife to support with VoLTE on AT&T's network.
  • Does VoLTE work in LineageOS for this phone?
    • If so, what service provider(s) have you had success with using VoLTE?
  • Any other considerations when purchasing the 3 XL or other Pixel 3-series devices?
Thank you for your help!

-Eric

Daniyal48

Jun 1, 2019
I have Pixel 3 XL made in Japan. I thought every pixel 3 has an esim but mine doesn't show any + button to sacan QR code. I read on Google forums that Japan Varient doesn't support Esim. I want to confirm is that disabled by the software or the actual piece of hardware is missing?

schleima

Feb 11, 2013
Having a really strange problem with Bluetooth pausing video playback at random intervals. This happened suddenly, and playback worked fine previously.

Basically when I play a video, whether on YouTube or even anon YouTube video embedded in a browser, it will play for 1-10 minutes and then pause. I have to manually restart playback of the video.

I do not use music streaming apps nor do I have downloaded content to play, but others who have experienced this problem online claim that it happens across all types of apps. In stone cases, turning off battery saver on Spotify seems to have worked for some people. I'm primarily using YouTube Vanced, so I turned off the battery saver but the problem persists. (Besides, what's happening to me doesn't appear to be app-specific)

Also, although I'm using a pixel 3xl, this problem is not specific to my device based on Google searches.

It's also not specific to one particular app, nor it's it specific to any particular Bluetooth device. My internet connection is strong and stable so it's not a streaming issue. I also just updated to Android 12 and the problem persists.

My best guess is that there's a Bluetooth setting that got mashed, maybe by an app I stalled? I haven't changed my BT settings at all, so I'm at a loss for what could have happened.

I appreciate anyone's help

Can you change the boot animation on any pixel phone? I've tried every method and none are working. The file is located in system/product/media opposed to the majority of other androids being in system/media. The file won't allow changing the permissions to manually replace it. I see very little information regarding change to or use of custom boot animations for any of the pixel phones but plenty of info how to get the pixel boot animation om just a out any other android phone. The bit of info I have found was of others having the same trouble I am which has me wondering Google has made sure that their logo cannot be altered on any of their phones.
I have a pixel 3 xl, stock rom, android 12, rooted with magisk v 23.
But I also own a pixel xl running android 10 that has given me the same results.

Daniyal48

Jun 1, 2019
My brother bought a Pixel 3 XL but it turns out to be a Japanese version and it doesn't support Esim.
I want to know that on Japanese varients the Esim is disabled via software or it doesn't have the hardware.

alphamaleharry

Oct 24, 2010
Hi
I have the 3xl a12 and have been trying to update the phone for the VOLTE USA fix. I have tried cross and the blueline .c2 ota/image files and it does not like it. i get errors sig failed 21 status 2 and simliar on the other file using asb or recovery. i have been to the pixel update repair website too. there since it came from google i selected other. everytime the phone disconnects after a few minutes of the little twriling circle on the page. my build number is .c1

i would love to keep using this. could someone advise me?

thank you

jarhead045

Dec 21, 2016
Is there a way to tell whether you have a carrier unlocked version of the pixel 3 xl with adb commands or something? Im currently locked out of mine, did the reformat but still asks for the prior owners google account information(I guess thats called google frp rite?) and second question is, does installing a custom ROM like lineage also unlock carriers?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to[

Google Pixel 3 XL

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.​
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!​
    Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

How long does it typically take for the devs to get TWRP and root on a new device? Are there concerns about the difficulty of these with android 9 and Pixel 3?
    If the latest Magisk already supports the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, then root should be ready to go when the Pixel 3 and 3 XL are released. The Pixel 2 and 2 XL also run Android 9 and are A/B slot treble devices like the Pixel 3 and 3 XL should be. The only issue is you'll need a way to install Magisk, which is where TWRP comes in. Being a Google device, I'd imagine that some form of TWRP (official or unofficial) will hopefully be released within a few weeks after the Pixel 3 and 3 XL are released.

If TWRP and root are a concern for you, be super sure you don't purchase a Verizon device. "OEM unlocking" in developer options is typically disabled on Verizon Pixel devices and if you can't unlock the bootloader, then you can't install TWRP, and without TWRP you can't install Magisk, and without Magisk you have no root.
    Depends, a Developer will need to get their hands on one, then see what needs to be done.

It will be interesting to see if that titan security chip they're touting will have any impact on gaining root access.
    Does the Verizon version from the Google store have a locked bootloader or just the phones purchased directly from Verizon?

Both are true. Skip anything that says Verizon on it from the google store if you want to unlock the bootloader :good:
    ^So far, none to quote...