[Help Thread][Google Pixel 3 XL](2018) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

jdelano

Sep 10, 2010
Buford, GA
Hello,

Is there a way to extend the time a text message is displayed on the lock screen?
When the notification sound goes off the time you have to read and then mark as read or reply seems to be like 2 seconds ?

I'm using everything stock currently (as I just got my hands on this device yesterday afternoon).
I've been going through the settings and Googling 6 ways to Sunday with no joy.

I might just have to go back to using Textra, which I was using on my S8+ but I wanted to take advantage of RCS and using my PC to text via the stock messages app.

Thank you

Omi755

Account currently disabled
Dec 3, 2013
Usa
meettomy.site
Hi can you help me with my call screen issue, I have everything updated and I have the call screen option but it won't activate

pierceheart

Sep 16, 2007
Boston
AT&T HTC One
HTC 10
Fi and custom ROMs???

Coming from HTC 10 (and before that the One/M7), very used to those devices, rooting, and flashing a new rom.

Not ready to jump into those waters on this device yet; I've seen something online, vague references which I can't cite, that there are issues with custom ROMs and eSIM, esp. with Fi.

Seeing as how I'm jumping ship from AT&T to Fi, I'm not interested in doing something that's going to make Fi unuseable.
But, one of the things I most like about the root/ROM i've done before is "enable all rotations" in either Nova launcher or in tweaks of Viper 10 / LeeDroid, so I can have the phone upside down (say, in a cup holder while plugged in) and still be able to read the screen.

As I can do the things (on this phone, on Fi) that in other phones, on AT&T, I needed root and a custom ROM for, my questions boil down to this:

1. Are there issues with running custom ROMs (or even rooting) while on Google Fi?

2. If YES to the above, is there a mod out there which will enable all rotations?

timothy009

Jan 2, 2015
Please help me out, is there any way I can recover from soft brick if I have a locked bootloader and usb debugging is turned off?
Thanks a lot!

synesthete

Mar 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Google Nexus 5
LG Nexus 5X
Please help me out, is there any way I can recover from soft brick if I have a locked bootloader and usb debugging is turned off?
Thanks a lot!

Can you boot to fastboot mode? (Turn off phone and hold the Power Button and Volume Down buttons for about 5 to 10 seconds until you enter fastboot mode. Use the volume up/down buttons to cycle through options until you see "recovery". Press the power button to select recovery. If you get the "No Command" screen, try Power + Volume up buttons to enter recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: timothy009

AjaySp

Dec 20, 2014
Hey i have a rooted pixel 3 xl now playing doesnt seem to work on lock screen it works fine on my pixel 2 anybody had the same issues?

Hondo209

Dec 20, 2010
THE209
Has anyone had any problems with the Settings App crashing when doing a search in settings? It constantly crashes. I've sent a bug report to Google. I've also cleared the cache also for the app.

jpactual

Dec 24, 2017
stuck in soft brick

SOLVED: I flashed the correct factory image but this time from WINDOWS 7 instead of Debian or Fedora Linux. It flashed everything flawlessly and the first time. .... I never expected Windows to be the solution to any of my problems. Let it be known to give flashing in Windows a whirl if inexplicably linux isn't working.
----
edit: I have the most recently platform tools and I am using linux
edit: trying to boot to twrp with fastboot boot twrp-3.x.x.img just ends up in a reboot to the bootloader.

Pixel 3 xl bought from google directly for unlocked bootloader, USA, I use Verizon.
I unlocked the bootloader, applied Magisk.

Here comes where I think the big mistake started

I accidently applied the wrong ota
9.0.0 (PQ1A.181205.006.A1, Dec 2018, Docomo) --> yeah Docomo the japanese phone company if I recall correctly.... :(
instead of
9.0.0 (PQ1A.181205.006, Dec 2018 --> which I THINK is the correct one for my device.

and it has been hell ever since.

Then mistake number 2 I accidently flashed twrp over the android install it appears, the phone would only boot into twrp.

I tried a factory image install through fastboot.

flash-all.sh resulted in

$ ./flash-all.sh
Sending 'bootloader_b' (8489 KB) OKAY [ 0.440s]
Writing 'bootloader_b' (bootloader) Flashing Pack version b1c1-0.1-5034669
(bootloader) Flashing partition table for Lun = 0
(bootloader) Flashing partition table for Lun = 1
(bootloader) Flashing partition table for Lun = 2
(bootloader) Flashing partition table for Lun = 4
(bootloader) Flashing partition table for Lun = 5
(bootloader) Flashing partition msadp_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition xbl_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition xbl_config_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition aop_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition tz_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition hyp_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition abl_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition keymaster_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition cmnlib_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition cmnlib64_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition devcfg_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition qupfw_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition storsec_b
(bootloader) Flashing partition logfs
OKAY [ 0.501s]
Finished. Total time: 1.073s
rebooting into bootloader OKAY [ 0.055s]
Finished. Total time: 0.106s
Sending 'radio_b' (71148 KB) OKAY [ 2.830s]
Writing 'radio_b' (bootloader) Flashing Pack version SSD:g845-00023-180917-B-5014671
(bootloader) Flashing partition modem_b
OKAY [ 0.296s]
Finished. Total time: 3.265s
rebooting into bootloader OKAY [ 0.043s]
Finished. Total time: 0.093s
extracting android-info.txt (0 MB) to RAM...
--------------------------------------------
Bootloader Version...: b1c1-0.1-5034669
Baseband Version.....: g845-00023-180917-B-5014671
Serial Number........: [serial number, i don't know if that is sensitive data]
--------------------------------------------
Checking product OKAY [ 0.060s]
Checking version-bootloader OKAY [ 0.060s]
Checking version-baseband OKAY [ 0.060s]
extracting boot.img (64 MB) to disk... took 1.029s
archive does not contain 'boot.sig'
archive does not contain 'boot_other.img'
extracting dtbo.img (8 MB) to disk... took 0.065s
archive does not contain 'dtbo.sig'
archive does not contain 'dt.img'
archive does not contain 'odm.img'
extracting product.img (194 MB) to disk... took 6.038s
archive does not contain 'product.sig'
archive does not contain 'product-services.img'
archive does not contain 'recovery.img'
archive does not contain 'super.img'
extracting system.img (2158 MB) to disk...W/ziparchive(29946): Zip: unable to allocate 2263691568 bytes at offset 0: No space left on device
fastboot: error:
failed to extract 'system.img': I/O error

Since the system.img extraction failed I tried to extract that zip file manually and flash system.img

fastboot flash system ./image-crosshatch-pq1a.181205.006/system.img
Sending sparse 'system_b' 1/9 (262140 KB) OKAY [ 10.677s]
Writing sparse 'system_b' 1/9 OKAY [ 0.366s]
Sending sparse 'system_b' 2/9 (262140 KB) OKAY [ 10.314s]
Writing sparse 'system_b' 2/9 OKAY [ 0.366s]
Sending sparse 'system_b' 3/9 (262140 KB) OKAY [ 9.534s]
Writing sparse 'system_b' 3/9 OKAY [ 0.366s]
Sending sparse 'system_b' 4/9 (262140 KB) OKAY [ 10.504s]
Writing sparse 'system_b' 4/9 OKAY [ 0.366s]
Sending sparse 'system_b' 5/9 (262140 KB) OKAY [ 10.474s]
Writing sparse 'system_b' 5/9 OKAY [ 0.366s]
Sending sparse 'system_b' 6/9 (262140 KB) OKAY [ 10.804s]
Writing sparse 'system_b' 6/9 OKAY [ 0.366s]
Sending sparse 'system_b' 7/9 (262140 KB) OKAY [ 10.374s]
Writing sparse 'system_b' 7/9 OKAY [ 0.366s]
Sending sparse 'system_b' 8/9 (258820 KB) OKAY [ 10.655s]
Writing sparse 'system_b' 8/9 OKAY [ 0.366s]
Sending sparse 'system_b' 9/9 (116836 KB) OKAY [ 4.824s]
Writing sparse 'system_b' 9/9 OKAY [ 0.660s]
Finished. Total time: 91.903s

Earlier I was booting to the android Setup Screen, but the screen was unresponsive. THe power button and volume buttons responded, but then tapping restart or shutdown were not responsive.

Now I get the red text on boot about corruption. The phone appears stuck on the white background with the colorful GOOGLE image on the screen.

Does anyone have any ideas? Do I need to return this to Google.... and do you think they will exchange it? This literally happened in less than 2 hours of having the device.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2012
can anyone help clarify installing OTA updates while rooted? i've done some searching (here and on the web) but keep seeing different answers...

i am rooted (Magisk v18) with TWRP as the recovery. bootloader unlocked. want to update to the January release from December.

TonikJDK

Dec 9, 2012
Google Pixel 6 Pro
can anyone help clarify installing OTA updates while rooted? i've done some searching (here and on the web) but keep seeing different answers...

i am rooted (Magisk v18) with TWRP as the recovery. bootloader unlocked. want to update to the January release from December.

In general terms you have two options.

Sideoad the full OTA via ADB and then reroot and re TWRP.

Or

Download the full image, extract it to your platform tools folder. Then edit the flash-all bat file and remove the -w near the end and save it. That edit saves your data and apps. Then run the flash all bat file. Then reroot and re TWRP.

Jan 2, 2012

Or

Download the full image, extract it to your platform tools folder. Then edit the flash-all bat file and remove the -w near the end and save it. That edit saves your data and apps. Then run the flash all bat file. Then reroot and re TWRP.
thanks. for the second method, can it be just the OTA update image from Google?

psak

Oct 13, 2010
what are the SKU & model numbers for 3XL that are shipped from Google Store.
How can i make sure i'm not buying Verizon version.
Here is the image from the seller:
View attachment 4682202
is this Verizon or Google store phone?

Last edited:

rickysidhu_

Apr 1, 2016
Vancouver

Or

Couldn't you also just flash the OTA in TWRP?

Charan26

Mar 10, 2017
Is the dark mode on pixel 3 xl really dark (like black) because mine is turning to be only to be grey.

rickysidhu_

Apr 1, 2016
Vancouver
Yes, that's what I'd like to know!
Following this article it seems possible, but I didn't find anything here on xda
Flash OTA from TWRP
Flash Magisk
Flash TWRP installer

https://highonandroid.com/android-howtos/how-to-ota-update-rooted-pixel-phones-without-computer/
That's what I did on my 2 XL when I was on stock, without issue. My steps are:

Flash OTA in TWRP
Reboot system
Reboot bootloader
Fastboot boot TWRP
Flash TWRP zip inside TWRP
Flash custom kernel
Flash Magisk
Reboot system

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to[

Google Pixel 3 XL

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.​
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!​
    Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

How long does it typically take for the devs to get TWRP and root on a new device? Are there concerns about the difficulty of these with android 9 and Pixel 3?
    If the latest Magisk already supports the Pixel 2 and Pixel 2 XL, then root should be ready to go when the Pixel 3 and 3 XL are released. The Pixel 2 and 2 XL also run Android 9 and are A/B slot treble devices like the Pixel 3 and 3 XL should be. The only issue is you'll need a way to install Magisk, which is where TWRP comes in. Being a Google device, I'd imagine that some form of TWRP (official or unofficial) will hopefully be released within a few weeks after the Pixel 3 and 3 XL are released.

If TWRP and root are a concern for you, be super sure you don't purchase a Verizon device. "OEM unlocking" in developer options is typically disabled on Verizon Pixel devices and if you can't unlock the bootloader, then you can't install TWRP, and without TWRP you can't install Magisk, and without Magisk you have no root.
    Depends, a Developer will need to get their hands on one, then see what needs to be done.

It will be interesting to see if that titan security chip they're touting will have any impact on gaining root access.
    Does the Verizon version from the Google store have a locked bootloader or just the phones purchased directly from Verizon?

Both are true. Skip anything that says Verizon on it from the google store if you want to unlock the bootloader :good:
    ^So far, none to quote...