• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Help Thread][Google Pixel 3a](2019) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

Sunkisd

Jun 11, 2020
Hey all just got a unlocked Pixel 3a, that I'm using on Fi. In the instructions I read in a separate thread for rooting the device I know I can install TWRP as it's not configd for Android 10 yet.

I'm pretty new to rooting/installing ROMs/Mods. Glad this was a pretty easy phone to root, originally tried the Moto G7 Power and failed sooooo many times. Anyway, are advice to dive deeper into rooting/ROMs and are there any interesting/cool Mods j can put on and explore? Im running the latest Bliss ROM.

Thanks!

MrMcSalad

Mar 30, 2018
I made a thread earlier but is it possible to downgrade to android pie to install TWRP then install a custom rom?

Also custom rom suggestions?

Btw I have my phone on the June security update and rooted

Temp1234X

Sep 9, 2020
Ever since updating to Android 11, I see this weird "null" text bubble at the bottom of my screen whenever I click on the search bar of any Google app. That includes Play Store, Youtube (vanced), Files by Google and even the Settings app. It's not a huge deal but it sure is annoying as f***. Makes me feel like I'm using some crap level buggy software on a $70 Samsung phone.

Also, speaking of bubbles, Messages app refuses to bubble conversations even though I have Bubbles turned on and have set it to "All conversations can bubble" from Messages' notification settings.
Any help would be appreciated.

imgur . com/a/Onz8s01

Here's a screenshot. Please remove the space before and after the dot. Xda won't let me post links because it's a new account ?

Edit: Installing beta Messages enables bubbles. Still no dice on "null'. Pls halp

Last edited:

gametastic05

May 21, 2019
Weird Battery Drainage

Since maybe i just noticed this and last time i checked battery monitor was like 1 week ago, i did not install any apks or additional modules in that timeframe. Only apps i installed from the app store were among us and the app "Code-Editor" but i already uninstalled both and the weird "-5" app is still there. Any help would be much apprechiated
mlaOfbS
https:// imgur.com/a/mlaOfbS

Last edited:

joedp2

Oct 17, 2014
I am rooted with Magisk and want to update to Android 11. I have been reading the instruction threads but have come to a couple of roadblocks.

First, they all tell me to use the canary version of Magisk. In my current Magisk manager, there is no option to change to canary. When I try to install the canary .apk, it does not get root access and keeps uninstalling itself. Am I supposed to uninstall the current version first? Will doing so affect my root in the meantime?

Second, none of the instructions say anything about how to do the update in the first place. Should I do what I did for previous OTA updates? ie. Uninstall Magisk and then take the OTA? Or do I have to use a different method?

Thank you in advance.

mulperi

Apr 25, 2010
Google Pixel 3a
Set channel to beta.
Latest Magisk is 21.0,
Latest Magisk Manager is 8.0.2

See the instruction where you download whole package (not OTA) extract it and edit the (windows) flash_all.bat file by removing -w (so it does not wipe).

Good luck!

Last edited:

diagoby

Dec 26, 2020
Hello there,

I bought a Pixel 3a and as soon as I received it I immediately updated it to Android 11 (yeah, my bad). And eventually I noticed that all of my sensors isn't working. I've tried several sensors-test apps and result always the same...

There's a related thread with the same issue on XDA but with the Pixel 3 / 3 XL. And they have several solutions.

So guys, if someone has Pixel 3a with Root, please share your sensors calibration file following this instructions.

Thanks a lot in advance...

JayAbbhi

Jul 18, 2018
Google Pixel 3a
I've had my pixel 3a for a little over a year now, and all of a sudden when I go to plug in my phone to charge, and sometimes it won't charge or repeatedly loop between charging and not charging, eventually settling down and charging like normal. The issue persists with other chargers as well.

Looking down the port, everything looks clean and fine.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue, and if so how did you go about fixing it?

the port won't charge at all if the cable is put in one way, but flipping it and plugging it back in works fine.

The physical connection is fine as well, and the port and cable are not loose at all.

Here's a link to a video of the issue in action

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uek4bjv4tVoootix8

I am currently trying to drain the device to 0% charge, since resetting the device didn't work. How long does it typically take for the battery to go completely flat (like even when powered off, it won't have enough charge to display the low battery indicator) ?

mulperi

Apr 25, 2010
Google Pixel 3a
I've had my pixel 3a for a little over a year now, and all of a sudden when I go to plug in my phone to charge, and sometimes it won't charge or repeatedly loop between charging and not charging, eventually settling down and charging like normal. The issue persists with other chargers as well.

Looking down the port, everything looks clean and fine.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue, and if so how did you go about fixing it?

the port won't charge at all if the cable is put in one way, but flipping it and plugging it back in works fine.

The physical connection is fine as well, and the port and cable are not loose at all.

Here's a link to a video of the issue in action

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uek4bjv4tVoootix8

I am currently trying to drain the device to 0% charge, since resetting the device didn't work. How long does it typically take for the battery to go completely flat (like even when powered off, it won't have enough charge to display the low battery indicator) ?
Try to clean the phone USB port with a wooden toothpick. Might do the trick.

thorkwyf

Jun 29, 2021
Hello !

I just switched from my old iphone Se jailbreaked to a a3 (well 'im currently waiting for the delivery) and was wondering what should I do exactly with the A3.

I only had iphone so i've no idea what are the pros of android stock Os wise.

So what should I do with the new phone ?

I jailbreaked my phone for :
  • ui skin/customisation (yet limited so I'm expecting much from android)
  • adblocks/hosts blockers (how anyone can live without it ?)
  • possibility of rollback to an older app version on the appstore (if one knows how to search for .apk I guess this doesn't seem to be an issue)
  • I could interact with the files in the phone without ****ing itunes (well I guess this is going to be very nice)

Should I stay stock ?

Thanks in advance !

EDIT:/
after lurking around i feel like i'm good to not stay stock, aw I just didn't want to fight with my phone for it to look and work like i want =_= !

Last edited:

mulperi

Apr 25, 2010
Google Pixel 3a
Hello !

I just switched from my old iphone Se jailbreaked to a a3 (well 'im currently waiting for the delivery) and was wondering what should I do exactly with the A3.

I only had iphone so i've no idea what are the pros of android stock Os wise.

So what should I do with the new phone ?

I jailbreaked my phone for :
  • ui skin/customisation (yet limited so I'm expecting much from android)
  • adblocks/hosts blockers (how anyone can live without it ?)
  • possibility of rollback to an older app version on the appstore (if one knows how to search for .apk I guess this doesn't seem to be an issue)
  • I could interact with the files in the phone without ****ing itunes (well I guess this is going to be very nice)

Should I stay stock ?

Thanks in advance !

EDIT:/
after lurking around i feel like i'm good to not stay stock, aw I just didn't want to fight with my phone for it to look and work like i want =_= !
With root you could use a firewall, e.g. AFWall+, blocking selected apps from calling home. Furthermore you can disable some apps that refuse to be uninstalled.

irnbru39

Aug 2, 2021
No Senors On Android 9

I wanted to install Ubuntu Touch on my Pixel 3a. The first step is to flash android 9. When i do this all sensors stop working. I found that they all come back after applying the February 2021 update RQ1A.210205.004 - "Fix for issue preventing certain sensor detection on startup". Does anyone know what this fix was and if i can get the sensors working on android 9 ?

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
hello all pre/current pixel 3a owners.
i am having an issue and was wondering if anyone else has encountered it.
so ; when i get a phone call i hear about ½ of the ringrone and then it just vibrates.
when i check ring volume , after a call , its always back to zero even though i have set at loudest before a call.
i am on android 10 stock and rooted with magisk. i uninstalled magisk but the issue persists.
anyone have an idea/suggestion that i might try? or an app that could override stock call volume? or something.
any help much appreciated.
thanks ,
dave

update : issue seems to have resolved on its own (for now anyway :) )

Last edited:

mrrocketdog

Oct 27, 2013
new pixel 3a issue (for me at least).
just started ; when i turn the screen off it shows , dimly , the time and date.
i've not added any new apps or "messed" with settings (that i can remember) ; and have done numerous searches in "settings".
How i do i turn this off where i just have a black screen? if anyone onows and could help i would appreciate it much.
thank you ,
dave

edit: "always on" display (under lockscreen) "somehow" got clicked to on. :)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a pixel 3a in full stock, no root. Latest q Nov update. Bootloader unlocked. Would like to relock. Will relocking erase data same as unlocking did?
    Yes it will

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Anyone experiencing a weird noise while recording a video? Either on 1080p 30/60?? If its quiet I can hear the noise after I playback the video.
    Yea it's a known issue, go star and comment on this issue to get Google to do something about it.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/141968224

Sent from my Google Pixel 3a XL using XDA Labs
    [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Google Pixel 3a

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
    Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    I've seen this problem mentioned back in September when Android 10 was introduced with pixels 3, the failure of all sensors. But now I have exactly same problem with my 3a after latest October security update. Anybody experiencing same issues with 3a? Any suggestions? Thank you
    Pixel 3a XL Android 10 bootloop when rooting

Hello all, a bit of a basic issue but it's got me in a bit of a pickle. I have an Pixel 3a XL on Android 10, december update, and tried to root following this thread's Boot Image Patching method.

I downloaded the same version stock image, extracted the boot.img, and patched it with the latest stable version of Magisk (version 20+). After that, I ran
    Code:
    flash boot magisk_patched.img
    , and tried to reboot - no dice, says "error boot prepare". In my panic I tried various things, including
    Code:
    flash boot magisk_patched.img --slot=all
    Code:
    flash boot boot.img --slot=all
    , but nothing helped. Recovery mode does not work - kicks me back to fastboot with same error.

What's the best way out of this hitch? I heard something about restoring a stock image, but have no idea how to do that.

EDIT: Tried running flash_all.bat and realized the silliest mistake of all - I had assumed my phone is the Pixel 3a XL when it is, in fact, Pixel 3 XL. I had flashed the wrong version!

I redownloaded the stock image for Pixel 3 XL, ran flash-all.bat and it saved itself. Keeping this post up to remind myself to check my eyesights, mayhaps.