[HELP THREAD] HTC One M8S - Back to Stock - HOWTO

Search This thread

voidzero

Inactive Recognized Developer
HOW TO get your HTC One M8S back to Factory / stock.

Attention 1: This is NOT for the regular HTC One M8.
Attention 2: This is for the HTC One M8S also known as the M8_QL_UL

(The One M8S does not have a separate subforum on XDA.)

Hi everyone! I saw that many people who have a HTC One M8S have problems with restoring the stock HTC RUU. It is a little bit difficult. So here I'll supply you again with steps that worked for me.
Most of this is a copy from a post I made earlier. But I saw that many of you still have some problems. So here is a dedicated thread.

I have used this method multiple times to restore my phone back to factory defaults. I hope it works for you too!

Warning. You will lose your settings. Everything will be reset to the defaults.

Read these important notes before you begin!

1. When you need fastboot: only HTC's own fastboot program will work. You will use fastboot, for example, when you want to flash a custom recovery.
    Other fastboot applications will not work correctly in my experience! So be sure you use HTC's.
    If you need it: HTC will send you a link when you unlock your bootloader. But you can also find fastboot via the same page as where you can find the RUUs.... see below.
  2. Do you have an SDCard ready? You must have one to get this to work and it must be big enough. ADB sideload will NOT work!
  3. Is your phone relocked? It must be! If not, relock it, then come back.
  4. Most of the problems happen because people read too fast. This stuff just takes a long time.. so don't do it if you are in a hurry. And do read carefully.

Are you ready? Ok! Here we go.

• Download the RUU zip you want to use. I have used ...HTC_Europe_1.16... BUT later I found this did not allow the newest OTA update (as of august 30th, 2015). Maybe I will test 1.11 some day later.
    However, I think that 1.11 is the right version. Not sure where to download the RUU or fastboot? Click the button.

For me, I downloaded the RUU zip via the generous hosting by @El-Conkistador. You can find it via his post here. On his page there is a directory called Firmware (Expert). In there is a directory called Firmware Crypted (Original HTC). In that directory are multiple directories containing RUUs. Choose one for your device, download it, then come back here.
  • Open your sdcard. It must be fat32 or exFAT formatted.
  • Copy the RUU zip file onto the root of the sdcard. Do NOT extract it. Just copy it.
  • You must now rename it to: 0PKVIMG.zip. The first character is the number 0 (zero), not the letter O!
  • If you know how to do this, take the md5sum from the RUU zip on your computer, and 0PKVIMG.zip on your SDcard. They must be the same! If not, there can be a problem with your SDCard.
  • Safely unload and remove the SDCard from your computer.
  • Power off your phone.
  • Are you sure you want to continue? :cowboy: Then insert the SDCard into the phone..
  • Take a deep breath..
  • Boot the phone to the bootloader: hold Volume Down. Press the power button. Release both buttons when you are inside the bootloader.
  • When you are in the bootloader, press power once to enter fastboot mode.

The restoration process should will now start. Confirm on the screen when it's asked. Then wait patiently, it takes a long time!
Nice detail: there is a small sidebar at the top right side of the screen that will show you progress. Sometimes it will go back to 0; it will fill up more than once.

In case of failure

In my case it failed the first time. Probably because a sector on my SDCard was faulty. I found out by verifying the md5sum of the file on the sdcard, it was not the same as the RUU zip on my computer, but it has to be.
To fix it, I copied the RUU zip to the sdcard for the second time, *then* deleted 0PKVIMG.img, and *then* renamed the RUU zip to 0PKVIMG.zip. Then I looked at the md5sum again. Now it was the same as on my computer... and then the restoration worked.

Still need help?

If you have questions, ask and wait patiently. I am not on this page 24/7, no one is. Just don't panic. Don't demand help. Maybe read this stuff again and see if you made a mistake somewhere.
It is logical that you are annoyed if this stuff doesn't go how you want, sure, it is not the easiest thing to do. I have tried to make it easier, but again, if it still fails, just ask your questions and wait patiently. Treat others like how you want to be treated yourself. :angel:

Good luck!
-voidzero.

Last edited:

voidzero

Exactly what RUU do you need and when i click hboot in the bootloader it fails finding the 0PKVIMG.zip. so idk what to do:rolleyes:

The exact filename of the RUU I used:
Code:
0PKVIMG_M8_QL_UL_L50_SENSE60_HTC_Europe_1.11.401.1_Radio_1.0.U20410.1@50311_15.00_016_F_release_430101_signed.zip

Do you see a few green lines that say "searching for 0pkvimg.zip" when you go to hboot? They disappear pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Alex-M8

Jul 2, 2015
The exact filename of the RUU I used:
Code:
0PKVIMG_M8_QL_UL_L50_SENSE60_HTC_Europe_1.11.401.1_Radio_1.0.U20410.1@50311_15.00_016_F_release_430101_signed.zip

Do you see a few green lines that say "searching for 0pkvimg.zip" when you go to hboot? They disappear pretty quickly.

Yeah i saw the green lines but nothing happend after they disappear

voidzero

the md5sum is a long string of characters called a checksum. It scans a file and calculates what number it should get. Other types of checksums are SHA-1, SHA-256, RIPE-MD160 and so on.

MD5 is fairly lightweight so that's why we usually choose md5 for files.

md5sum itself is a program that you can run from the command line. If you use linux, it should be on your computer already, so just do 'md5sum 0pkvimg.zip'. On windows, well, you need md5sum.exe and run that from a command line. But I have not used Windows in so many years that I don't know where to find md5sum.exe. I'm sure you can find it easily... I would google for this, but you can do that too so I'll leave that part up to you.

So: you don't put the md5sum anywhere.. you calculate an md5sum and compare it with the number I gave you previously. Hope this makes sense, keep asking if you need more help.

Last edited:
Reactions: bilal.fanatic

ma_xiu_

Sep 27, 2015
Hi guys,

Im new to all this I just want to ask for little help here my m8s has unlocked bootloader and modified (unofficial) software (says in bootloader)

Im running 5.0.2 soft ver
Soft number 1.16.401.10
Custom recovery TWRP

Phone is rooted but i need to send it back to htc as its dropping calls randomly within 25secs. All i need is the right ruu so its stock again and says relocked (i know how to relock) official soft and that OTAs would work.

Also do i leave this custom recovery there or before the ruu will i put in the stock one, relock the BL and then the ruu?

Any help is much appreciated. :)

Sent from my HTC One M8s using XDA Free mobile app

Last edited:

voidzero

Just relock. The Ruu does the rest! I used 1.11, the exact filename is in my OP. If you have a vendor phone I'm not sure but I think you can still use the same RUU as I have; if not, you will be notified from hboot. Does that answer your question? :)

Reactions: ma_xiu_

ma_xiu_

Sep 27, 2015
Tried on windows twice then got a blue screen (on the pc) did the 1.11 on my macbook and phone is now back to official and relocked!

I owe you a pint of beer sir. Thank you!

Sent from my HTC One M8s using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: voidzero

new-noob

Jan 2, 2012
here
hi all,

I give up, downloaded three zips from this link:
http://xdaforums.com/htc-one-m8/help/make-custom-recovery-htc-one-m8s-t3114245

1.11 - combined signed

and every time I get error "no image or image wrong....no gift file....loading image 0Pkvidiag.zip - No image! loading 0PKVIDIAG.nbh...no image or wrong image"
...inside the zip file there is no 0PKVIMG.img file so dont realy know what to rename . . .
...yes checked md5 sum and they are OK
...sd card is fat32 (tried copying zip file from two different laptops , no difference)
...Custom recovery TWRP

this is m8s european version which was rooted , fastboot shows now RELOCKED and this images just dont work ,
this phone is giving all sort of issues, no custom roms with updates, SIM_Card error sometimes 10+ times a day causing call disconnections and reboots, cant update to lates htc soft as on custom rom it just dont work.....

what I am doing wrong here? probably something stupid easy :D :laugh: help please :)

Thanks in advance !

Last edited:

voidzero

what I am doing wrong here? probably something stupid easy :D :laugh: help please :)

Hiya. Ugh I get how frustrating this can be!! But you're close, so we'll get you sorted out. FYI on saturday and sunday I'm not around much (family comes first :eek:), so replies might take me a while... but we'll figure it out.

You need this exact file:
Code:

Copy that to the sdcard and rename it to 0PVKIMG.zip, don't extract it just rename it. The md5sum should be:

Code:
70eece34781f0b1449f98f03e842f249

If that won't work, we need to figure out why. That comes next. :good:

Last edited:

new-noob

Jan 2, 2012
here
Hiya. Ugh I get how frustrating this can be!! But you're close, so we'll get you sorted out. FYI on saturday and sunday I'm not around much (family comes first :eek:), so replies might take me a while... but we'll figure it out.

You need this exact file:
Code:

Copy that to the sdcard and rename it to 0PVKIMG.zip, don't extract it just rename it. The md5sum should be:

Code:
70eece34781f0b1449f98f03e842f249

If that won't work, we need to figure out why. That comes next. :good:

HI voidzero and thanks for taking the time and replaying!
I ended up installing Android Pandora 1.2 and ...waiting on feedback re: SIM errors, hopeful they are gone with new ROM,
I'll post quick update tomorrow.

Thanks again and enjoy ur weekend !

voidzero

HI voidzero and thanks for taking the time and replaying!
I ended up installing Android Pandora 1.2 and ...waiting on feedback re: SIM errors, hopeful they are gone with new ROM,
I'll post quick update tomorrow.

Thanks again and enjoy ur weekend !

You should use Cyanogenmod, not Pandora. Pandora is old, is not updated, and contains a very problematic security issue with libstagefright. Use cyanogenmod for your own good!

Reactions: new-noob

new-noob

Jan 2, 2012
here

razvanadrian87

Nov 22, 2015
hello.
i need help. :) my htc m8s is relock, my sd card is format fat 32, md5sum match, but still not recognize when i restart in fastboot.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    HOW TO get your HTC One M8S back to Factory / stock.

Attention 1: This is NOT for the regular HTC One M8.
    Attention 2: This is for the HTC One M8S also known as the M8_QL_UL

(The One M8S does not have a separate subforum on XDA.)

Hi everyone! I saw that many people who have a HTC One M8S have problems with restoring the stock HTC RUU. It is a little bit difficult. So here I'll supply you again with steps that worked for me.
    Most of this is a copy from a post I made earlier. But I saw that many of you still have some problems. So here is a dedicated thread.

I have used this method multiple times to restore my phone back to factory defaults. I hope it works for you too!

Warning. You will lose your settings. Everything will be reset to the defaults.

Read these important notes before you begin!

1. When you need fastboot: only HTC's own fastboot program will work. You will use fastboot, for example, when you want to flash a custom recovery.
      Other fastboot applications will not work correctly in my experience! So be sure you use HTC's.
      If you need it: HTC will send you a link when you unlock your bootloader. But you can also find fastboot via the same page as where you can find the RUUs.... see below.
    2. Do you have an SDCard ready? You must have one to get this to work and it must be big enough. ADB sideload will NOT work!
    3. Is your phone relocked? It must be! If not, relock it, then come back.
    4. Most of the problems happen because people read too fast. This stuff just takes a long time.. so don't do it if you are in a hurry. And do read carefully.

Are you ready? Ok! Here we go.

• Download the RUU zip you want to use. I have used ...HTC_Europe_1.16... BUT later I found this did not allow the newest OTA update (as of august 30th, 2015). Maybe I will test 1.11 some day later.
      However, I think that 1.11 is the right version. Not sure where to download the RUU or fastboot? Click the button.

For me, I downloaded the RUU zip via the generous hosting by @El-Conkistador. You can find it via his post here. On his page there is a directory called Firmware (Expert). In there is a directory called Firmware Crypted (Original HTC). In that directory are multiple directories containing RUUs. Choose one for your device, download it, then come back here.
    • Open your sdcard. It must be fat32 or exFAT formatted.
    • Copy the RUU zip file onto the root of the sdcard. Do NOT extract it. Just copy it.
    • You must now rename it to: 0PKVIMG.zip. The first character is the number 0 (zero), not the letter O!
    • If you know how to do this, take the md5sum from the RUU zip on your computer, and 0PKVIMG.zip on your SDcard. They must be the same! If not, there can be a problem with your SDCard.
    • Safely unload and remove the SDCard from your computer.
    • Power off your phone.
    • Are you sure you want to continue? :cowboy: Then insert the SDCard into the phone..
    • Take a deep breath..
    • Boot the phone to the bootloader: hold Volume Down. Press the power button. Release both buttons when you are inside the bootloader.
    • When you are in the bootloader, press power once to enter fastboot mode.

The restoration process should will now start. Confirm on the screen when it's asked. Then wait patiently, it takes a long time!
    Nice detail: there is a small sidebar at the top right side of the screen that will show you progress. Sometimes it will go back to 0; it will fill up more than once.

In case of failure

In my case it failed the first time. Probably because a sector on my SDCard was faulty. I found out by verifying the md5sum of the file on the sdcard, it was not the same as the RUU zip on my computer, but it has to be.
    To fix it, I copied the RUU zip to the sdcard for the second time, *then* deleted 0PKVIMG.img, and *then* renamed the RUU zip to 0PKVIMG.zip. Then I looked at the md5sum again. Now it was the same as on my computer... and then the restoration worked.

Still need help?

If you have questions, ask and wait patiently. I am not on this page 24/7, no one is. Just don't panic. Don't demand help. Maybe read this stuff again and see if you made a mistake somewhere.
    It is logical that you are annoyed if this stuff doesn't go how you want, sure, it is not the easiest thing to do. I have tried to make it easier, but again, if it still fails, just ask your questions and wait patiently. Treat others like how you want to be treated yourself. :angel:

Good luck!
    -voidzero.
    I'm do have my notes on me at the moment but I do know I downloaded the latest MM file that was linked on another page. I'll link that in a while.

Also I had a stock recovery file I downloaded from somewhere that I flashed from the boot loader.

Gimme an hour or so and I'll go through my history and do a sort of guide.

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk
    Right Guys, This is what i did to get back to Stock MM from CM12 ***Havent got to rooting it yet but this will give you stock ***

It may not work for you but it did 1st time for me so i thought i would share my experience.

I was bootloader unlocked and had CM recovery installed at the post i started to do this.

1. First put file 1 on your SD card make sure the filename is 0PKVIMG.zip and reboot to HBOOT (bootloader)

2. Let the file be detected and it will give you the option to flash it, updating the recovery to stock and it will reboot.

3. Go back into FASTBOOT and issue FASTBOOT OEM LOCK from you computer. (This will relock the bootloader)

4. Your device will probably bootloop at this stage! it did me.

5. If you have ADB access, simply issue adb reboot bootloader to get back to HBOOT. or simply use the vol down and power button combo to get back into the bootloader.

6. Check the HBOOT screen and you should now notice that it should say something like OS-2.10.401.1 and ***RELOCKED*** at the top.

7. Now put File 2 on your SD card ***making sure that the file is the same name as file 1*** (simply delete the other file off the SD card) and go back into HBOOT (bootloader)

8. As before the phone should say it found an image and offer to flash the file..... This is where you cross your fingers and go make a coffee or something. The process took me about 10-15 minutes to flash.

9. Simply follow the onscreen options and hopefully you'll get asked to press power to restart. Give the phone a few minutes to do its thing then all being well you'll be back in stock MM. ***Happy Days***

Locations for Files
    File 1 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bx1ER04ZdUwYVmtZNTFOeEVfY1E
    File 2 - https://mega.nz/#F!2BMExYzD!VqkTATYRF_QWkMSMfQoTvQ

Please note these are not MY files i take no credit for them and accept no liability for any damage these files cause to your phone. If these files are hosted elsewhere or created by anybody else then my apologies i couldnt remember where i got the files from and all credit is due to you.

Right well i think thats about it. Give it a go and let me know how you get on.
    Thanks for your reply, i would like to get back to stock if possible.

Failing that then I may try your suggestion if I am unable to do so.

Cheers

Sent from my HTC One M8s using Tapatalk

Additionally, I explained one post before your question how to downgrade a RUU, so in case it is required, that may be helpful.

The reboots thing happened to me too. I may look into it later, but it is a bit more difficult for me to test fixes without having a phone to test it on. What do I mean? Well, I still do have my One M8s, but, I've started work on CM13 now. :highfive:
    Thank you so much it worked like a charm for me :)
    Great tutorial.
    For people who don't know, the "cmd" command to Relock the bootloader is "fastboot oem lock".