• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Help Thread]Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9" (3rd Gen/2013) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
hello ,I was flash cm14 with twrp ,and the progress took too much time and not finished.so I hold the power button until it power off and wanted to reboot .but when I reboot the fire .it just shows the kindle fire white logo and then disappeared ,nothing happened after that .what should i do ,is there any way to get it ok?:crying::crying:
A meaningful response is hard to compose having no info on prerequisites or other essentials (bootloader unlocked; ability to boot into fastboot, twrp?). If your device is borked best start from scratch:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/kindle-fire-hdx/help/help-apollo-kindle-hdx-t4084869/post82347609

Antonntminh

Dec 30, 2011
Hi @draxie,
I just got another HDX apollo which having strange things: when plugin the computer, it show that the device not recorgnizeable, I can't install adb driver as it not recorgnize as fire device, but somehow when I plugin another usb port, it show up as BULK with several drives, and as dumb as I am im not flash right a way but just unplugg it and try to get it in to fastboot mode, now it does not show up the BULK mode, just device not recorgnize.
So is there anyway that I can make it into BULK mode again? this device does not turn on display.
Thanks

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

also tagging @DB126 as you and Draxie has help me recover my last tablet last year, hoping to get you guys support to revive thit tablet again :)

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

also tagging @DB126 as you and Draxie has help me recover my last tablet last year, hoping to get you guys support to revive thit tablet again :)

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks for the ping however I have largely stepped away from supporting this device. Still have several working units (good for simple tasks) but but won't attempt to revive them should something go amiss.

Hi @draxie,
I just got another HDX apollo which having strange things: when plugin the computer, it show that the device not recorgnizeable, I can't install adb driver as it not recorgnize as fire device, but somehow when I plugin another usb port, it show up as BULK with several drives, and as dumb as I am im not flash right a way but just unplugg it and try to get it in to fastboot mode, now it does not show up the BULK mode, just device not recorgnize.
So is there anyway that I can make it into BULK mode again? this device does not turn on display.
Thanks

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 AM ----------

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 AM ----------

Antonntminh

Dec 30, 2011
Thanks DB128, I wouldn't dare to asking you ti risk your device to suppot mine, I'm just asking your advice on what should I try if it was your :D

Antonntminh

Dec 30, 2011
Yes: keep the power button pressed for a looong time.
IIRC,, it may need over 5 **minutes**.

Thanks, draxie, just try to plug it in this morning, and voila, its goes into Bulk mode, and Im flashing Lineage OS 14.1 from ggow as fast as I can, and now I have another HDX 8.9 running, for $25, not a bad deal :D
Thanks you guys for all the help!

ojdon

Dec 28, 2010
Stafford
I've got a 3rd gen HDX 7 and I have ADB enabled. But when I try multiple usb cables I still don't see anything in ADB. I've tried multiple machines and multiple Operating Systems. No change.

It does complain that the fire tablet is using a low power charge cable. Is this normal?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Essential Phone
I've got a 3rd gen HDX 7 and I have ADB enabled. But when I try multiple usb cables I still don't see anything in ADB. I've tried multiple machines and multiple Operating Systems. No change.

It does complain that the fire tablet is using a low power charge cable. Is this normal?
Does the Fire boot normally?
What state is the Fire in while trying adb?
What commands are you trying?

Sent from my ocean using XDA Labs

ojdon

Dec 28, 2010
Stafford
Does the Fire boot normally?
What state is the Fire in while trying adb?
What commands are you trying?

Sent from my ocean using XDA Labs

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yeah it boots fine.

It’s in developer mode with adb mode turned on. I’ve also tried to reset to see if that’s the issue.

I’ve just tried the usual adb devices command and also adb usb.

EDIT:

It seems like this tablet can only charge. It can't mount files via mtp or ptp. Is the port faulty? I've had a look inside and used a small brush and toothpick to make sure the port is not dirty.

Last edited:

richfife

Jan 16, 2021
Best ROM for Apollo w/ Zoom that supports camera?

Hi,

I see that a lot of the Apollo ROMs have camera problems, so I was wondering what your recommendation for a ROM to use with Zoom would be?

Basically audio (in and out), display (duh) and camera.

The idea is to plop the tablet onto the piano next to the sheet music when my daughter takes piano lessons remotely.

TallestDutchman

Jan 20, 2021
Last night I put the latest Thor lineage from ggow, Lineage 16.0-20210111, on my Fire HDX7. This was my first attempt at this, but everything went well.

Except that Wireless is super flaky.

Sometimes it connects right away, but will disconnect after a little while and seemingly never reconnect.
More often is scans for networks but never displays any available.

First, do I need to report this as a problem? If so, where?
Second, can I simply install an older package to resolve this? Which one would you recommend?

I am attempting to revive this to use as a kitchen media streamer (hulu, netflix) and to look up recipes. I don't care about the camera, but having bluetooth working would be helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Edit - I found the Lineage 16 ROM thread, so there's some answers for the first part of my question. There does appear to be a general issue with wireless not working until a reboot as well. I will read through that thread and report the issue if necessary.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-unlocked-lineage-16-0-11-jan-2021.4164161/

The remaining question seems to be if I should drop back to the last build of Lineage 14.

Edit 2 - I reinstalled using the instructions in the ROM thread (I hadn't found that thread the first time). Initial impressions are that the wireless is working much better.

Last edited:

dkimx009

Jan 30, 2021
I had installed Nexus rom on my Thor long ago, and decided to install Lineage14 on it.

1) I was not aware of the current status of this device and simply cleared data using its Recovery-Safestrap 4.01 (TWRP v2.7.1.0). Then I tried to move files to it, but found that I couldn't mount it on PC while on Recovery.
2) I still could boot and move files to the deviece. I moved 'lineage-14.1-20200705-UNOFFICIAL-thor' file and entered back to Recovery, then installed it on 'Stock Rom'. Then rebooted.
3) I could see 'Recovery' or 'Boot' options while on boot. Choosing 'Boot' didn't show anything on its screen and didn't respond anything but long-pressing the power button to force power-off.
4) I still can enter 'Recovery', but also 'mount' option still doesn't work.

Maybe it's because the bootloader was not unlocked...?
Or maybe the partitions of the device were screwed...?

I searched web and tried to set partitions right, but commands I found didn't work on 'Terminal Command' option in Safestrap. (only showed error messages that the command is not correct thing)

Please give some help on this.

Last edited:

irfan67670

Sep 22, 2021
Hi, i have 4.5.5.3 fireos on my hdx7 3rd gen and it does not detect external usd keyboard connected through the port (keyboard is checked and fine). I read somewhere it maybe the port inability to supply enough power which causes this issue.
My question:
- will flashing another rom like lineage etc solve this problem, anyone experienced this before?
- any other way to make keyboard work without flashing (if any)
- any other help appreciated.

ojdon

Dec 28, 2010
Stafford
Hi, i have 4.5.5.3 fireos on my hdx7 3rd gen and it does not detect external usd keyboard connected through the port (keyboard is checked and fine). I read somewhere it maybe the port inability to supply enough power which causes this issue.
My question:
- will flashing another rom like lineage etc solve this problem, anyone experienced this before?
- any other way to make keyboard work without flashing (if any)
- any other help appreciated.
Unfortunately, I don't think the HDX supports OTG USB in any ROMS.

You'd have to use a Bluetooth external keyboard with your HDX instead.

Reactions: draxie

irfan67670

Sep 22, 2021
Thanks, that saves me sometime trying to butthead with the keyboard.
Will look for a nice bluetooth keyboard!

ojdon

Dec 28, 2010
Stafford
I've done something weird to my HDX (Thor) and I can't put my finger on what I need to fix.

I've switched between roms/relevant TWRP versions recently and now my WiFi keeps dropping out whenever it gets used like signing into google or whatever.

Has anyone experienced something similar?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just picked up an open-boxed Fire HDX 7" tablet for a bargain. It is running 13.3.2.1 and I am wondering if someone could break down my open-source OS options. I have previously enjoyed CM on a nexus 7. From my limited research it looks like a Nexus rom would be another option? There doesn't seem to be a unified guide out there and a point in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks much!
    You are on a Fire OS version below 3.2.4, so keep WLAN off/flight mode active to avoid getting updated by Amazon!
    This also means you can start right away by rooting and disabling OTA via HDX Toolkit, then flashing TWRP and updating the 3.2.3.2 bootloader via TWRP.
    Note that you should install Minimal ADB and Fastboot and enable USB debugging in Fire OS to use ADB..
    Next step is the bootloader unlock procedure described here and after the installation of the required software and downloading the Python script also here. You probably need these drivers to get the HDX recognized during the fastboot unlock procedure (check device manager, the HDX is probably with a yellow exclamation mark there).
    With an unlocked bootloader you can use Nexus v4, CM11, CM12 or SlimLP - your choice. Be sure to make a backup of your Fire OS in TWRP and move it to your PC before you flash any custom ROM!
    Hi All,

I just took a gamble on a boxed Fire HDX 8.9" from ebay at a good price.
    I figured it was a 2013 model given the price, I was just waiting to see what firmware was on there.

It turns out it is on: 14.3.0.5
    I immediately turned off wifi and popped it on airplane mode.

This looks really promising for getting CM12 successfully onto it as I'd hoped.
    Now I just don't want to brick the damn thing as I feel I'm lucky to have an out of the box Fire 8.9" that's ROMable.
    I've read a bunch of forums and believe that I need to do the following:

1) Root and stop OTA with HDX toolkit
    2) upgrade firmware to 3.2.3.2 with TWRP
    3) unlock the bootloader as per instructions.
    4) Flash TWRP custom recovery using adb shell, su and dd to write the image.

Is this the correct ordering ?

I have two questions:

For step 2 there aren't really instructions in sd_shadow's sticky post.
    I can't find a post that explains how to do this, anyone got any advice ?
    On other fires there was usually a twrp recovery image that I used in flashfire to get to TWRP.

Also, will the update to 3.2.3.2 allow OTA updates again ?
    Nice find. You have the basic steps identified; very little work is required to prepare your device for custom rom (suggest CM-13 as development has stopped on CM-12.1 although it remains quite stable).

Suggested procedure:
    - on initial boot do not register device (no point); can skip WiFi setup too although that mandates a tether for all transfers
    - root and block OTA with HDX toolkit
    - install Minimal ADB and Fastboot on a suitable Windows host
    - sideload ES File Explorer and Flashify; install both via 'adb install <app>.apk'
    - (optional) launch Flashify and backup existing recovery
    - use Flashify to install TWRP for HDX
    - boot to recovery (twrp) to validate installation
    - (optional) backup existing rom (FireOS) from with TWRP; transfer backup folder to host if desired
    - reboot system and use Flashify to apply 3.2.3.2 bootloader upgrade (important: verify md5 with ES File Explorer before flashing; a corrupt update file will brick device)
    - research and attempt to use 1-click bootloader unlock to perform the booloader unlock; a manual method is available if 1-click is unsuccessful (see post #67 to get started; you'll also need drivers)
    - and finally (queue trumpet roll) ... flash the rom of your choice from available HDX builds (Nexus v4, CM11, CM12.1, SlimLP, CM-13); FireOS v4 is also an option...sans OTA and other crusties.

Seems like a lot but many steps go quickly. As will all work of this nature have a clear understanding of what you are trying to accomplish in each step and double/triple check everything before committing. As questions as you go along if needed; guessing is a bad idea on this device.

Good luck.
    After unbricking my device, my touchscreen getting crazy:
    https://streamable.com/wawnl

Who can help me with this issue?

Yes, follow the instructions on this post I made a long time ago:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56986107&postcount=22

If your device is apollo then follow as is, if not then you can get the thor synaptics firmware from a kernel source archive.

EDIT: thor synaptic firmware can be found here if you need it:
    https://github.com/ggow/kernel_phoe...-7.1-new/firmware/Synaptics.3.B.thor.img.ihex
    Yes you can ignore that, TWRP is safe to install below 3.2.4, at least proven from 3.1.0 to 3.2.3.2, thus rooting and installing TWRP are the way to go.
    The correct links to the unlock procedure are here and here, probably needed Windows drivers here.
    I was given an Apollo (KFAPWA with 3G) that is box-stock and unfortunately has the latest Amazon firmware on it, namely 3.4.0-perf-g7abdbab (14.4.5.5_user_455001820). What are my options?

Here's what I would like, but it seems impossible to get there, given what I have already read across the HDX fora:
    • unlocked bootloader
    • root
    • TWRP recovery
    • a reasonable Android version that would support both Bluetooth and the WAN radio, though I could probably live without WAN
    I'm no stranger to reflashing devices (have a Note III and a B&N Nook HD+, both running variants of CM12), and I even have sideloaded apps on the Amazon TV stick, so I have minimal ADB, fastboot and Amazon USB drivers installed. The Apollo has the performance for sure, yet it seems like a different beast, given its locked bootloader and it apparent brickability.

Any advice would be welcome.

In order to unlock the bootloader or flash TWRP, your need to be on 3.2.3.2 or below. Given that you're already running one of the newer updates, you can't rollback past 3.2.8, or else you'll permanently brick your device trying. So, these two options are out of reach. The next best thing is Safestrap, although it is not a true recovery, and you're limited to ROMs that are based on the same Android version as FireOS (i.e. FireOS 4 is based on Kit Kat, so you can only use Kit Kat ROMs).

Here's what I would do:
    1. downgrade to 14.3.2.8
    2. upgrade to 4.5.2
    3. root
    4. install Safestrap 4