[Help Thread]Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9" (3rd Gen/2013) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

wavvy01

Dec 28, 2021
Hey does anyone have old Nexus or AEX ROMS for Apollo? I need one to get the proper unlock code (I screwed up on the stock fw) and the links I'm finding are 404. Thanks.

maroonmoon

Jun 26, 2017
Hello all.
I have a Kindle Fire HDX 7" which had a custom ROM installed. A few months back, I was having frequent Wifi problems and battery drainage issues, so I reverted back to the stock ROM. The tablet boots fine, but I have multiple issues listed below. I am not sure if these are due to bad installation or some hardware issues. Any ideas will be appreciated.
1) I enabled developer mode on the tablet. When I plug in the USB cable, I do not see any notification to enable USB debugging. As a result ADB is a no go.
2) The status bar and the navigation bar are not visible. They come into view for milliseconds intermittently and then disappear. Changing orientation etc. has not worked.
3) Once the tablet is up and running, opening any app takes a long time.

I tried factory resetting, but it just hangs on the amazon logo. Power cycling gets me back to main screen, not first time set up screen.

Thank you!

Hi everyone - I have a Kindle Fire HDX Thor device and I've been searching for some time and have made a detailed post here about my progress thus far with unlocking the bootloader (successfully). My next step is to flash a rom. This is where I am stuck.

I have TWRP 3.1.1-1
I have confirmed that my bootloader is unlocked.
I now have Lineage 14.1 ready to go (lineage-14.1-20220317-UNOFFICIAL-thor.zip) from this thread:

I can access fastboot and TWRP just fine but looks like ADB commands do not work. I do see "Android ADB Interface" in Device Manager and can run [fastboot -i 0x1949] commands.

My question is: how do I transfer the Lineage 14.1 rom to my device?
In TWRP, I have tried sideload, mount usb, enable MTP and none of these do anything. I feel like I'm missing something and just not sure what at this point.

Thank you!

UPDATE 1: Lineage 14.1!
Impatience keeping me searching and thinking of new things to try for problem solving.

I was sifting through posts and understood that not having my Kindle device show up on my PC as an accessible drive meant that I have an ADB drivers problem. Thus the hunt began for drivers that would work. I tried Motorola, I tried official kindle drivers, I tried a bunch of Android drivers as well but nothing seemed to work. Usually the drivers would just install and nothing would happen or I'd get an error saying my drivers were not 64 bit.

Okay then, let's get 64 bit drivers. After some more searching, I stumbled upon this site:
https://android-file.com/usb_driver_r13-windows

I downloaded and updated drivers through Device Manager and lo and behold! It worked! The kindle device showed up on my PC. Who knew.

Now that my Kindle device shows up, I was able to copy and paste Lineage 14.1 to the device and then install from TWRP. After going through setup screens, the tablet looks SWEEET.

I wanted to install Gapps and figured I should restart the tablet before proceeding with installing so it could do any sort of cleanup if needed. But now, on restarting, I'm stuck on the Lineage animation. Pretty sure I read some post about this issue so back to searching now.

UPDATE 2: All good...mostly
I kept searching and found this here by @DB126. I followed these instructions and it worked. I'm no longer stuck on the boot animation for Lineage 14.1 and went on to the next item.
Be sure to select system and data partitions under advanced wipe. Then wipe cache and dalvik after flashing LOS (and whatever else you wish to include) when exiting TWRP. Note LOS won't boot if the bootloader is locked. I assume you are past that.

Next step was to get Google Play Store. I see there are two methods to doing this. One is Gapps and the other is MicroG. I went with MicroG since I read that it had a significant performance boost over Gapps. I installed MicroG by following this thread:

All good from my end. Gmail app isn't working but I'm able to install apps just fine. Still playing around with it but looks like the main challenges are done.

Last edited:
Hey does anyone have old Nexus or AEX ROMS for Apollo? I need one to get the proper unlock code (I screwed up on the stock fw) and the links I'm finding are 404. Thanks.
I have a Thor device and I screwed up the unlock code process as well. Check my post below and see if it might be able to help you. I was searching for a Nexus rom for a while as well but ended up not needing it.

Hi, I have acquired a spare HDX7 as mine is getting old now. It's not been updated since 2018 and is this build of 4.5.5.3 .

20220923_133301.jpg

I never got around to flashing a custom ROM on my old one of these but want to do so with this one. I've used ADB before to root my first Samsung Galaxy I think it was so quite some time ago and I'm technically-minded but also sometimes impatient and am wondering:

What should be my first steps with this specific device on the road to installing a stable ROM with Google Play? Those are my main two wants really I don't need much more as there are just a few APKs I'd like to have running and of course ad-blocking would be nice though.

Cheers for any help!

Reactions: ushilives

ushilives

Apr 28, 2018
Xiaomi Mi A1
Xiaomi Poco F1
Hi, I have acquired a spare HDX7 as mine is getting old now. It's not been updated since 2018 and is this build of 4.5.5.3 .

View attachment 5718801

I never got around to flashing a custom ROM on my old one of these but want to do so with this one. I've used ADB before to root my first Samsung Galaxy I think it was so quite some time ago and I'm technically-minded but also sometimes impatient and am wondering:

What should be my first steps with this specific device on the road to installing a stable ROM with Google Play? Those are my main two wants really I don't need much more as there are just a few APKs I'd like to have running and of course ad-blocking would be nice though.

Cheers for any help!
Go ahead and update it to the latest version, it is safe as all updates for this device can allow custom roms. Easiest way to install a rom is firstly you need to unlock the bootloader. Contact Draxie on this Amazon HDX forum to request the 1-click bootloader unlock and follow the instructions.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just picked up an open-boxed Fire HDX 7" tablet for a bargain. It is running 13.3.2.1 and I am wondering if someone could break down my open-source OS options. I have previously enjoyed CM on a nexus 7. From my limited research it looks like a Nexus rom would be another option? There doesn't seem to be a unified guide out there and a point in the right direction would be most appreciated.

Thanks much!
    You are on a Fire OS version below 3.2.4, so keep WLAN off/flight mode active to avoid getting updated by Amazon!
    This also means you can start right away by rooting and disabling OTA via HDX Toolkit, then flashing TWRP and updating the 3.2.3.2 bootloader via TWRP.
    Note that you should install Minimal ADB and Fastboot and enable USB debugging in Fire OS to use ADB..
    Next step is the bootloader unlock procedure described here and after the installation of the required software and downloading the Python script also here. You probably need these drivers to get the HDX recognized during the fastboot unlock procedure (check device manager, the HDX is probably with a yellow exclamation mark there).
    With an unlocked bootloader you can use Nexus v4, CM11, CM12 or SlimLP - your choice. Be sure to make a backup of your Fire OS in TWRP and move it to your PC before you flash any custom ROM!
    Hi All,

I just took a gamble on a boxed Fire HDX 8.9" from ebay at a good price.
    I figured it was a 2013 model given the price, I was just waiting to see what firmware was on there.

It turns out it is on: 14.3.0.5
    I immediately turned off wifi and popped it on airplane mode.

This looks really promising for getting CM12 successfully onto it as I'd hoped.
    Now I just don't want to brick the damn thing as I feel I'm lucky to have an out of the box Fire 8.9" that's ROMable.
    I've read a bunch of forums and believe that I need to do the following:

1) Root and stop OTA with HDX toolkit
    2) upgrade firmware to 3.2.3.2 with TWRP
    3) unlock the bootloader as per instructions.
    4) Flash TWRP custom recovery using adb shell, su and dd to write the image.

Is this the correct ordering ?

I have two questions:

For step 2 there aren't really instructions in sd_shadow's sticky post.
    I can't find a post that explains how to do this, anyone got any advice ?
    On other fires there was usually a twrp recovery image that I used in flashfire to get to TWRP.

Also, will the update to 3.2.3.2 allow OTA updates again ?
    Nice find. You have the basic steps identified; very little work is required to prepare your device for custom rom (suggest CM-13 as development has stopped on CM-12.1 although it remains quite stable).

Suggested procedure:
    - on initial boot do not register device (no point); can skip WiFi setup too although that mandates a tether for all transfers
    - root and block OTA with HDX toolkit
    - install Minimal ADB and Fastboot on a suitable Windows host
    - sideload ES File Explorer and Flashify; install both via 'adb install <app>.apk'
    - (optional) launch Flashify and backup existing recovery
    - use Flashify to install TWRP for HDX
    - boot to recovery (twrp) to validate installation
    - (optional) backup existing rom (FireOS) from with TWRP; transfer backup folder to host if desired
    - reboot system and use Flashify to apply 3.2.3.2 bootloader upgrade (important: verify md5 with ES File Explorer before flashing; a corrupt update file will brick device)
    - research and attempt to use 1-click bootloader unlock to perform the booloader unlock; a manual method is available if 1-click is unsuccessful (see post #67 to get started; you'll also need drivers)
    - and finally (queue trumpet roll) ... flash the rom of your choice from available HDX builds (Nexus v4, CM11, CM12.1, SlimLP, CM-13); FireOS v4 is also an option...sans OTA and other crusties.

Seems like a lot but many steps go quickly. As will all work of this nature have a clear understanding of what you are trying to accomplish in each step and double/triple check everything before committing. As questions as you go along if needed; guessing is a bad idea on this device.

Good luck.
    After unbricking my device, my touchscreen getting crazy:
    https://streamable.com/wawnl

Who can help me with this issue?

Yes, follow the instructions on this post I made a long time ago:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=56986107&postcount=22

If your device is apollo then follow as is, if not then you can get the thor synaptics firmware from a kernel source archive.

EDIT: thor synaptic firmware can be found here if you need it:
    https://github.com/ggow/kernel_phoe...-7.1-new/firmware/Synaptics.3.B.thor.img.ihex
    Yes you can ignore that, TWRP is safe to install below 3.2.4, at least proven from 3.1.0 to 3.2.3.2, thus rooting and installing TWRP are the way to go.
    The correct links to the unlock procedure are here and here, probably needed Windows drivers here.
    I was given an Apollo (KFAPWA with 3G) that is box-stock and unfortunately has the latest Amazon firmware on it, namely 3.4.0-perf-g7abdbab (14.4.5.5_user_455001820). What are my options?

Here's what I would like, but it seems impossible to get there, given what I have already read across the HDX fora:
    • unlocked bootloader
    • root
    • TWRP recovery
    • a reasonable Android version that would support both Bluetooth and the WAN radio, though I could probably live without WAN
    I'm no stranger to reflashing devices (have a Note III and a B&N Nook HD+, both running variants of CM12), and I even have sideloaded apps on the Amazon TV stick, so I have minimal ADB, fastboot and Amazon USB drivers installed. The Apollo has the performance for sure, yet it seems like a different beast, given its locked bootloader and it apparent brickability.

Any advice would be welcome.

In order to unlock the bootloader or flash TWRP, your need to be on 3.2.3.2 or below. Given that you're already running one of the newer updates, you can't rollback past 3.2.8, or else you'll permanently brick your device trying. So, these two options are out of reach. The next best thing is Safestrap, although it is not a true recovery, and you're limited to ROMs that are based on the same Android version as FireOS (i.e. FireOS 4 is based on Kit Kat, so you can only use Kit Kat ROMs).

Here's what I would do:
    1. downgrade to 14.3.2.8
    2. upgrade to 4.5.2
    3. root
    4. install Safestrap 4