[HELP THREAD][Noob Friendly] Moto X Play Ask any question

Search This thread

tarun9963

Nov 9, 2017
7.1.1 Nougat OTA

My question is regarding the 7.1.1 Nougat OTA Update. I am from the UK and just recieved it now should I download it or leave it entirley as I had heard about issues pertaining to the phone shutting down at 40% Battery Level and below. There where also issues about performance, so I was wondering whether I should hold off?

Any help is much appreicated

gunavat

Mar 25, 2017
Redmi Note 8 Pro
My question is regarding the 7.1.1 Nougat OTA Update. I am from the UK and just recieved it now should I download it or leave it entirley as I had heard about issues pertaining to the phone shutting down at 40% Battery Level and below. There where also issues about performance, so I was wondering whether I should hold off?

Any help is much appreicated
+1

AlexT92

Sep 24, 2013
Question about microSD storage

Hey guys. I have a quick question about microSD cards. I just got one for my moto X play (32GB) and I was curious about whether I should make it integrated or make the phone see it as external storage.
What are the ups and downs of both worlds if you happen to know them?

Some key curiosities I have in the case of choosing to make it count as "internal storage":
- will installing apps on the microSD make it use itself up faster (if such a thing exists) due to constant reading/writing on the card?
- could there be problems with the device even if turn it off when performing actions such as swapping SIM cards? (microSD and SIM card being in the same physical container).

In general I was wondering about your experience with this feature in android phones, to make microSD cards internal storage. Is it worth pursuing or not?
Thank you. :)

tag68

Nov 25, 2014
Moto G 2014
Moto X Play
In general I was wondering about your experience with this feature in android phones, to make microSD cards internal storage. Is it worth pursuing or not?
Thank you. :)
Using SD card as internal storage is usually a bad idea.

- The card is much slower than internal memory. It will slow down your device.
- Micro SD cards are known to have an often limited lifetime. Failure will happen much earlier because of extensive usage when used internally.
- Access is more complicated. If your device gets broken, how can you access your media data, the photos you took?

Reactions: sd_shadow

AlexT92

Sep 24, 2013
Using SD card as internal storage is usually a bad idea.

- The card is much slower than internal memory. It will slow down your device.
- Micro SD cards are known to have an often limited lifetime. Failure will happen much earlier because of extensive usage when used internally.
- Access is more complicated. If your device gets broken, how can you access your media data, the photos you took?

Thanks for letting me know. I will use that SD card then mostly for storing music, videos and pictures or mine.
Which means in the majority of cases its purpose will be Read function (playing multimedia).
I hope these objects don't fail too soon given I might have heavy use of music players accessing files on the microSD, haha. ;)

nayeeem

Dec 26, 2018
can i downgrade to stock marshmallow 6.0.1 using this method in moto x play??
currently using lineage os 14 with twrp recovery.
Thank you

svxyl

Jan 2, 2019
So my XT1563's screen and touch stopped working and now I'm trying to recover data from it. I can get into fastboot mode, but I can't figure out how to get into recovery mode without seeing the screen (Vol Down + Pwr, Vol Down + Vol Up, neither works).
More info in my thread, thanks

Ehine

Dec 28, 2015
[Help] camera and baterry being weird

Hi guys, I would like to thank in advance those who care to answer :)

I'm a completely noob. I won a used moto x play (not rooted) and the battery didn't charge above 70% also only charged with the phone turned off (when I plug the charger with the phone turned on the battery stops discharging but doesn't charge, just freeze at the % it is, the icon shows charging and "turbo charger connected" message shows normally). The back camera also didn't work, only the frontal worked. The person who gave it to me told me that the phone begin doing that after android was updated to 7.1 and the person just bought another phone and gave me this one. I have no money at all to buy another one, so I'm really hoping to fix it since warranty is already expired.

Here's what I did: factory wiped to see if the update was the problem, (it came back to 7.1 after the swipe because he wanted to and I couldn't stop it) and everything remained the same. "must be hardware" I thought, so I sent it to repair and got a brand new battery (original). Now it charges up to 80%... but only when the phone is turned off and the camera works trough other apk called open camera, the original camera app doesn't work. The message it displays is "camera is being used by other application" it showed this message even before I install the open camera app. So I imagine it can be a software problem since the battery is new and the camera works by the other app. I don't know that to do. Any suggestion welcome, I trust in this forum :)

soni@jay

Nov 21, 2015
Delhi
I want to flash a custom tom
I have unlocked bootloader and have latest twrp
Also rooted with magisk
I want to create a nandroid backup before flashing any custom rom
So please help me... I'm confusued which partitions should I backup so that in case of any problem i can restore with all apps and data
Mostly confused between system and system image.
Also suggest me any best naugat rom:angel:

tag68

Nov 25, 2014
Moto G 2014
Moto X Play
is there confirmed method to root or change rom on stock Andoid Nougat?
To be honest: The question suggest that you do not know what it means. "Changing ROM" is not a similar action like gaining root.

My opinion is that one who owns a device should have control over it. Not being allowed to see the file with WLAN passwords which are not stored encrypted is a ridiculous action. Crackers and thieves may have an exploit seeing it, but you who bought the device are not allowed to start privileged processes?

But in your case I think you should consider letting the device without modification. What do you want root/other rom for?

Having that said, rooting needs 3 steps.

1. Unlock bootloader
(clears all userspace! Your current data will be gone without possibility to recover if you don't have a backup)

2. Run twrp for the device
(Need a computer with adb and fastboot installed, start (fastboot boot <twrp>))

3. Flash Magisk zip
(should be stored in the internal memory or an sdcard in the device for this action, can usually be transferred from the computer while twrp is running before flashing).

crazy4jack

Apr 12, 2019
To be honest: The question suggest that you do not know what it means. "Changing ROM" is not a similar action like gaining root.

My opinion is that one who owns a device should have control over it. Not being allowed to see the file with WLAN passwords which are not stored encrypted is a ridiculous action. Crackers and thieves may have an exploit seeing it, but you who bought the device are not allowed to start privileged processes?

But in your case I think you should consider letting the device without modification. What do you want root/other rom for?

Having that said, rooting needs 3 steps.

1. Unlock bootloader
(clears all userspace! Your current data will be gone without possibility to recover if you don't have a backup)

2. Run twrp for the device
(Need a computer with adb and fastboot installed, start (fastboot boot <twrp>))

3. Flash Magisk zip
(should be stored in the internal memory or an sdcard in the device for this action, can usually be transferred from the computer while twrp is running before flashing).

ehhhh stilll, this working 100% on android 5 and 6, but it will be on 7? none confirmed on this forum, there no OP threads about that etc
why i want LOs 14.1 instead oryginal 7? silly qestion ) i like to be rooted, have better kernel, xposed etc

tag68

Nov 25, 2014
Moto G 2014
Moto X Play
ehhhh stilll, this working 100% on android 5 and 6, but it will be on 7?
On the most recent official stock available in reteu it worked fine, think it is nougat (Android 7). It wasn't the current Magisk, but I think it was about 19.0 which I used. Can't have a look as the devices are at home and I'm on vacation currently ;)

I have no doubt that the current Magisk will do its work like every version before did. Moto X Play is very friendly wrt root via Magisk, unlike Moto Z Play.

Didn't try any other ROMs.

fedex_742

Oct 27, 2016
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
hi there!
i have the moto x play (xt1563)
i will unlock the bootloader, install twrp and magisk

here is my problem, the volume down key does not work.
i plan to do it with adb commands

can I get stuck at some point in the process?

ipmungam

May 30, 2012
I'll add a very naive question to the previous post -- is there a custom kernel/rom for moto X play that will enable display out (with an adapter) to an external touch screen?

I'll add a very naive question to the previous post -- is there a custom kernel/rom for moto X play that will enable display out (with an adapter) to an external touch screen?
I don't think it's possible to take over the touch screen from the phone. If anything, it remains the use of a mouse and keyboard through, for example, MyPhoneExplorer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

nmn7k2.jpg

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
    Please look for a similar [HELP THREAD] when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a similar [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    I have rarely messed around with custom roms and my experience with them is fairly limited. I came here because I want to ask some questions about basic knowledge of what's happening inside my device when I root it and "flash" custom rooms.

So far my understanding is that once I root my device (following one of the many guides), I can then I use certain other tools to allocate a free portion of my internal memory to serve as a recipient for a "new" operating system, which is going to be my newly flashed custom rom. Was this done this way to enable the safety feature of returning to the Stock rom in case of failure of the custom one? My initial reaction was "how wasteful", I have a sleeping portion memory in device (the stock rom) that I will never be using again but must stay there occupied indefinitely.
    I just need someone to confirm me that what I am currently thinking is correct or not.

About what I and you all do on this website. So the purpose of this website is to continuously produce new versions of custom roms and try them out until we find one we're happy with in terms of performance and style? (doing the rom flashing process all over again)

And about the "update" process. I remember some time ago I saw some apps (apks) that allowed one to check for updates on CM roms in a nice fashion, really well organized and good looking app. How does a custom rom update actually work/happen? Does the app queue up a download for the files needed to be flashed and then set up different root procedures in queue so that the phone will automatically reboot and do all the necessary steps in a fast and convenient fashion rather than a more manual process of installation (which I assume we all have to do the first time we root and flash a custom rom).
    ----------------------
    All of the above are simply questions to refresh my knowledge of what I'm about to re-dive into. Please let me know if anything of what I think is wrong and link me maybe to pages/articles that can give a beginner good overview of what's to come if they may decide to start using custom roms.

Currently my Motorola X Play (XT1562) is not rooted and I will probably soon start looking for the tools to root and then try out my first custom roms. If you'd like to set me on the right track with your personal suggestions of what procedures to follow for rooting and what Roms to first try out, please let me know. :)

Android version - 6.0.1
    There is only one reliable procedure for Moto X Play rooting: Fastboot. Better yet, Mfastboot. As usual: unlock bootloader, install TWRP, do nandroid backup, then flash SuperSU with TWRP, do in that order and you're pretty much done. For further information, I suggest to go straight to dedicated threads. There you'll find everything you must know on the subject, even the tools. About custom ROMS... well, very personally, I'm sceptical enough about flashing any (again) I even posted some of my thoughts and feelings about them in the CM 12.1 thread for instance. Perhaps I'm not the one to guide you on custom ROM matters. You may want to read my post first, or not, but I can tell you in advance that custom ROMS are usually this sort of... an endless "bugy" experience for many. If you're fine with it, then go flashing at will. In the end is up to you. But notice that even devs are cautious enough to include a "disclaimer" note before you flash whatever they develop. Just one real recommendation on my side: Do not go with the first ROM, mod, opinion, tutorial or whatever you find. Do your homework; if you find an interesting thread, read it carefully and thoroughly from A to Z (yes, especially those longer ones); if not convinced yet, search, investigate, be patient, curious, methodical... and most important, learn how to go back to normal BEFORE anything else, just in case you manage to make a mess out of your device. Assume the risk, but don't take unnecessary ones. About "what happens inside"... you need all of the above. As of today, everything is documented though, learning the whole damn deal is complicated and might turn highly confusing. My suggestion about this, is there's no need to be a software Pro before rooting or flashing. It can be a real PITA for those unacquainted. Rather, follow other's experiences and disasters and be as objective as you can about it without taking any learning shortcuts. Root must be for joy, not for suffering. Just saying. Greetings

hello guys
    i lost my IMEI number of MOTO X PLAY XT1562
    Now after pressing *#06# it shows only 0.

I flashed my phone with latest Asia firmware but it wasn't useful. IMEI still remain 0.
    I used QPST tool but #550 is missing.

now I am thinking to get NVRAM or nandroid backup of any other phone working on 6.0 android M.
    After getting that backup file i will restore it to my mobile and then i will again change the IMEI in NVRAM.

SO please any one of you upload NVRAM or nandroid backup file . It will really help me.:crying::confused:

Sent from my XT1563 using XDA-Developers mobile app
    Agreed. I was in the exact same spot. I flashed SuperSU 2.67 and my phone soft bricked. I was about to chuck it out a window when I learned that 2.62-3 was the best for the MXP and that's where I'm at now. I think some are using 2.64.

Unfortunately the WinDroid tool downloaded the wrong version of SuperSU for my MXP, so beware if using that.

That's why I'll never use a tool to flash anything, you have no control over what's flashed.
    Fastboot is so easy to use.
    It can be a daunting task for a newbie but once you tried it there's no easier way to unlock, flash recovery and flash bootlogo's.
    Hello there!
    I don't own one, but I'm rather interested. Thus, I have questions (you don't say) :

- Is it true it doesn't have gyroscope ? (some says it doesn't, others don't talk about it)
    - What does it "not" bring ? Is it a big matter ?

- Is it "dual sim + microSD", or "dual sim or one sim / one microSD" (like OnePlus X) ?

- Will it go up to Android "N" at least ? (I don't even know if it goes to Marshmallow)

And last question (I think, for now), should I really buy it ?
    I was about to buy Moto Pure Edition from Amazon (-100$ Deal of the Day), but it doesn't ship in Belgium …

Anyway, thanks a lot for reading and helping !

I owe one, and I'm from Belgium too :D Got it on RueDuCommerce on a flash sale back in September for 350€.

To answer your questions:
    - It does not have gyroscope on 5.1.1. It means that Photosphere does not work, even though some have managed to use it.
    Google VR is not working as well. But on a pure daily basis, I never noticed the lack of gyro.

- It is a Dual Sim + Micro SD, have a nano sim of Proximus and one of Mobistar + 32gb micro sd

- It supports Android M. India, Brazil and Canada have already received the OTA update. Europe should arrive soon too.

- And to answer your last question, it depends on what you expect from your phone. Personally, after testing the latest flagships, I noticed that the battery life is what matters the most to me. The camera on the MXP is really great for an average person, the screen too. I never noticed any lags and what made me choose this one is the battery life. After a whole day of usage (Calls, SMS, WhatsApp, Messenger, Youtube, ...), I have around 50% left at the end of the day, with 3h30 SOT.