[HELP THREAD][Noob Friendly] Moto X Play Ask any question

Search This thread

k_bud

Nov 21, 2015
Are you getting the "system version" and "baseband version" confused?
If you go check your phone you will see the baseband says lux_telus while the system says retca FWIW

Also did you set the connection speed under network providers to 3G or LTE preferred?

I'm not on Wind but know that they aren't the speediest network, do you have another phone to compare to?

I set preferred to LTE, and I do have a phone on Wind to compare to, and it's much faster, it's a Nexus 5 by the way. I thought that maybe the Telus baseband would have some effect on speeds. Basically what I've noticed is that sometimes the speeds are good, comparable to the Nexus 5, but most of the time they're not great, and in case you're wondering the change happens in the same location, I'm in my room the speeds are good, the next second they're super slow, but I haven't even moved. It's weird I probably should have bought it from Wind. From what I read in other posts I'm assuming that the baseband has something to do with the modem. Is there anyway to change it to stock or am I stuck with it?

NahuelMS

Dec 14, 2015
Buenos Aires
I have two questions:
-How does big.Little work on sp615. I had read wikipedia article and it says that only 810 and 808 uses HMP configuration but in app Cpu-z it says it have HMP and the 8 cores are on and clocking. If someone can explain how big.Little works in the x play i will be very gratefull.
-I have Brasil Version and it comes with a turbocharger. I use it and the phone heats like hell and it took 1h and 10 minutes to charge from 10% to 65%. It is normal? Why is it heating so much?

A lot of thanks! Sory for my bad english!

kali43144

Dec 14, 2015
What is your average battery temperature? I have 35-36 celcius on almost stock software with only Signal installed. It got even to 41-42 on idle with few apps installed so I factory reset it, and it still seems quite warm.

pef6000

Oct 10, 2010
Hello there!
I don't own one, but I'm rather interested. Thus, I have questions (you don't say) :

- Is it true it doesn't have gyroscope ? (some says it doesn't, others don't talk about it)
- What does it "not" bring ? Is it a big matter ?

- Is it "dual sim + microSD", or "dual sim or one sim / one microSD" (like OnePlus X) ?

- Will it go up to Android "N" at least ? (I don't even know if it goes to Marshmallow)

And last question (I think, for now), should I really buy it ?
I was about to buy Moto Pure Edition from Amazon (-100$ Deal of the Day), but it doesn't ship in Belgium …

Anyway, thanks a lot for reading and helping !

brom25

Jan 24, 2011
Hello there!
I don't own one, but I'm rather interested. Thus, I have questions (you don't say) :

- Is it true it doesn't have gyroscope ? (some says it doesn't, others don't talk about it)

- Is it "dual sim + microSD", or "dual sim or one sim / one microSD" (like OnePlus X) ?

- Will it go up to Android "N" at least ? (I don't even know if it goes to Marshmallow)

I was about to buy Moto Pure Edition from Amazon (-100$ Deal of the Day), but it doesn't ship in Belgium …

I owe one, and I'm from Belgium too :D Got it on RueDuCommerce on a flash sale back in September for 350€.

To answer your questions:
- It does not have gyroscope on 5.1.1. It means that Photosphere does not work, even though some have managed to use it.
Google VR is not working as well. But on a pure daily basis, I never noticed the lack of gyro.

- It is a Dual Sim + Micro SD, have a nano sim of Proximus and one of Mobistar + 32gb micro sd

- It supports Android M. India, Brazil and Canada have already received the OTA update. Europe should arrive soon too.

- And to answer your last question, it depends on what you expect from your phone. Personally, after testing the latest flagships, I noticed that the battery life is what matters the most to me. The camera on the MXP is really great for an average person, the screen too. I never noticed any lags and what made me choose this one is the battery life. After a whole day of usage (Calls, SMS, WhatsApp, Messenger, Youtube, ...), I have around 50% left at the end of the day, with 3h30 SOT.

pef6000

Oct 10, 2010
I owe one, and I'm from Belgium too :D Got it on RueDuCommerce on a flash sale back in September for 350€.

- It does not have gyroscope on 5.1.1. It means that Photosphere does not work, even though some have managed to use it.
Google VR is not working as well. But on a pure daily basis, I never noticed the lack of gyro.

- It is a Dual Sim + Micro SD, have a nano sim of Proximus and one of Mobistar + 32gb micro sd

- It supports Android M. India, Brazil and Canada have already received the OTA update. Europe should arrive soon too.

- And to answer your last question, it depends on what you expect from your phone. Personally, after testing the latest flagships, I noticed that the battery life is what matters the most to me. The camera on the MXP is really great for an average person, the screen too. I never noticed any lags and what made me choose this one is the battery life. After a whole day of usage (Calls, SMS, WhatsApp, Messenger, Youtube, ...), I have around 50% left at the end of the day, with 3h30 SOT.

Thanks a lot for your answer !

I'm really interested. it seems to be a really good choice, when compared to others, also for the battery.
But it doesn't seem to have such a huge community behind it (which I can understand, too many phones everywhere). I'll still look around, maybe wait for the January sales.

Thank you again, I take your advice into account !

Totemic_tHiRp

Oct 21, 2012
youtube.com
Why I still not received the Marshmallow OTA update?

One friend of me have the Moto X Play and 3 days ago he received the notification and now his phone is on Marshmallow. I manually checked and it says that my phone is up to date... I have the stock rom with stock recovery unrooted via superSU. I'm waiting for the update. I don't believe that I not received the notification because my rom is unrooted, because, as I know, you get the notification in any way you have your rom, but it depends if will successfully updated of not.

* Brazilian version.

WilliamVig

Dec 26, 2014
Alesd
dk.linkedin.com
Hello, I get random reboots on my Moto X Play (5.5.1) unmodified stock ROM. Sometimes it`s just a simple reboot in my pocket and sometimes it reboots and it has to reoptimize the apps. Can someone tell me how to fix it?

ro9nin

Dec 17, 2015
Squid kernel - remove root

I have a moto x play that is fairly laggy and have heard that the squid kernel will fix this. I wanted to know if I could install the kernel and then remove the root access. Will it still work with the settings applied before root was removed? The reason I want to do this is because for my work email it will detect root and then block access.

Dec 23, 2015
Matehuala
hi there I have a moto x play xt1563 from mexico so my question is if can I install the Canadian ota file for 6.0? they use the same hardware number xt1563 so some one let me know if it safe to do it. thanks for your time and have a great day

Sent from my XT1563 using XDA Free mobile app

Art Vanderlay

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 2, 2014
Melbourne
hi there I have a moto x play xt1563 from mexico so my question is if can I install the Canadian ota file for 6.0? they use the same hardware number xt1563 so some one let me know if it safe to do it. thanks for your time and have a great day

Sent from my XT1563 using XDA Free mobile app

I don't see why not. They have the same bands as well. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't see any indication that it wouldn't be safe.

amritbe23

Dec 24, 2015
So my x play is just a month old. Ive been trying to install fifa 15 on my device from playstore unsuccessfully. Everytime i start downloading, it would stop after downloading more than half part of the game. It stopped at 52% , 75%, 98% duh! . the error takes me to the troubleshooting page which recommends me to check the internet connection, memory, to clear cache memory and ive tried all these steps without any success. With the same wifi connection ive downloaded games like fifa15, asphalt 8 on my zenfone 5.. My xplay is 16 gb and has more than 7 gb available
Please help me regarding the same.

Thanks
Amrit

antisocialbratt

Nov 12, 2012
Camera is decent in moto x play but for some reason I'm not able to select the external memory as default save location for pics. Earlier that option was visible but now i cannot select it in the moto x cam. Any ideas or suggestions to fix this??? I tried flashing the moto x cam from Moto X style. That is when this problem occurred.

pickled-onion

Mar 19, 2013
Screen repair?

Broke screen, want to fix it. The results for display assembly don't seem to have those little metal bits on the side, and the only video I can find showing a teardown doesn't detail how those are separated. Could anyone tell me how to replace the screen? Or link me to a part/video?

Art Vanderlay

Retired Forum Moderator
Jan 2, 2014
Melbourne
So my x play is just a month old. Ive been trying to install fifa 15 on my device from playstore unsuccessfully. Everytime i start downloading, it would stop after downloading more than half part of the game. It stopped at 52% , 75%, 98% duh! . the error takes me to the troubleshooting page which recommends me to check the internet connection, memory, to clear cache memory and ive tried all these steps without any success. With the same wifi connection ive downloaded games like fifa15, asphalt 8 on my zenfone 5.. My xplay is 16 gb and has more than 7 gb available
Please help me regarding the same.

Thanks
Amrit

Try clearing the cache and data of the play store and google services framework.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

nmn7k2.jpg

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
    Please look for a similar [HELP THREAD] when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a similar [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    I have rarely messed around with custom roms and my experience with them is fairly limited. I came here because I want to ask some questions about basic knowledge of what's happening inside my device when I root it and "flash" custom rooms.

So far my understanding is that once I root my device (following one of the many guides), I can then I use certain other tools to allocate a free portion of my internal memory to serve as a recipient for a "new" operating system, which is going to be my newly flashed custom rom. Was this done this way to enable the safety feature of returning to the Stock rom in case of failure of the custom one? My initial reaction was "how wasteful", I have a sleeping portion memory in device (the stock rom) that I will never be using again but must stay there occupied indefinitely.
    I just need someone to confirm me that what I am currently thinking is correct or not.

About what I and you all do on this website. So the purpose of this website is to continuously produce new versions of custom roms and try them out until we find one we're happy with in terms of performance and style? (doing the rom flashing process all over again)

And about the "update" process. I remember some time ago I saw some apps (apks) that allowed one to check for updates on CM roms in a nice fashion, really well organized and good looking app. How does a custom rom update actually work/happen? Does the app queue up a download for the files needed to be flashed and then set up different root procedures in queue so that the phone will automatically reboot and do all the necessary steps in a fast and convenient fashion rather than a more manual process of installation (which I assume we all have to do the first time we root and flash a custom rom).
    ----------------------
    All of the above are simply questions to refresh my knowledge of what I'm about to re-dive into. Please let me know if anything of what I think is wrong and link me maybe to pages/articles that can give a beginner good overview of what's to come if they may decide to start using custom roms.

Currently my Motorola X Play (XT1562) is not rooted and I will probably soon start looking for the tools to root and then try out my first custom roms. If you'd like to set me on the right track with your personal suggestions of what procedures to follow for rooting and what Roms to first try out, please let me know. :)

Android version - 6.0.1
    There is only one reliable procedure for Moto X Play rooting: Fastboot. Better yet, Mfastboot. As usual: unlock bootloader, install TWRP, do nandroid backup, then flash SuperSU with TWRP, do in that order and you're pretty much done. For further information, I suggest to go straight to dedicated threads. There you'll find everything you must know on the subject, even the tools. About custom ROMS... well, very personally, I'm sceptical enough about flashing any (again) I even posted some of my thoughts and feelings about them in the CM 12.1 thread for instance. Perhaps I'm not the one to guide you on custom ROM matters. You may want to read my post first, or not, but I can tell you in advance that custom ROMS are usually this sort of... an endless "bugy" experience for many. If you're fine with it, then go flashing at will. In the end is up to you. But notice that even devs are cautious enough to include a "disclaimer" note before you flash whatever they develop. Just one real recommendation on my side: Do not go with the first ROM, mod, opinion, tutorial or whatever you find. Do your homework; if you find an interesting thread, read it carefully and thoroughly from A to Z (yes, especially those longer ones); if not convinced yet, search, investigate, be patient, curious, methodical... and most important, learn how to go back to normal BEFORE anything else, just in case you manage to make a mess out of your device. Assume the risk, but don't take unnecessary ones. About "what happens inside"... you need all of the above. As of today, everything is documented though, learning the whole damn deal is complicated and might turn highly confusing. My suggestion about this, is there's no need to be a software Pro before rooting or flashing. It can be a real PITA for those unacquainted. Rather, follow other's experiences and disasters and be as objective as you can about it without taking any learning shortcuts. Root must be for joy, not for suffering. Just saying. Greetings

hello guys
    i lost my IMEI number of MOTO X PLAY XT1562
    Now after pressing *#06# it shows only 0.

I flashed my phone with latest Asia firmware but it wasn't useful. IMEI still remain 0.
    I used QPST tool but #550 is missing.

now I am thinking to get NVRAM or nandroid backup of any other phone working on 6.0 android M.
    After getting that backup file i will restore it to my mobile and then i will again change the IMEI in NVRAM.

SO please any one of you upload NVRAM or nandroid backup file . It will really help me.:crying::confused:

Sent from my XT1563 using XDA-Developers mobile app
    Agreed. I was in the exact same spot. I flashed SuperSU 2.67 and my phone soft bricked. I was about to chuck it out a window when I learned that 2.62-3 was the best for the MXP and that's where I'm at now. I think some are using 2.64.

Unfortunately the WinDroid tool downloaded the wrong version of SuperSU for my MXP, so beware if using that.

That's why I'll never use a tool to flash anything, you have no control over what's flashed.
    Fastboot is so easy to use.
    It can be a daunting task for a newbie but once you tried it there's no easier way to unlock, flash recovery and flash bootlogo's.
    Hello there!