• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Help Thread][Oneplus 7] Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

strongst

Senior Moderator / Developer Committee
Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
[SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Oneplus 7

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
attachment.php
List of supporters
To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Specific Threads and Guides for Oneplus 7

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

Last edited:

w41ru5

Jul 17, 2017
Hello, I'm coming from several years of closed source Exynos Samsung. Struggle to get custom roms is a real pain. In addition, my love for bloatware, including big bro G apps/framework, is notoriously plunging to zero. So OP7 is gonna be my soon next phone.
Q: has anyone performed any deep clean of bloat and/or Google apps/framework on this model? Can it be done? In what %? Does it break anything natively working on OP7?
I know about the Tomatot, just what experience gives this process.
ps: I have a really bad OCD when reading com.google.abcdx
Nah, I'm good, just hate big brothers who spy on us.

strongst

Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
Hello, I'm coming from several years of closed source Exynos Samsung. Struggle to get custom roms is a real pain. In addition, my love for bloatware, including big bro G apps/framework, is notoriously plunging to zero. So OP7 is gonna be my soon next phone.
Q: has anyone performed any deep clean of bloat and/or Google apps/framework on this model? Can it be done? In what %? Does it break anything natively working on OP7?
I know about the Tomatot, just what experience gives this process.
ps: I have a really bad OCD when reading com.google.abcdx
Nah, I'm good, just hate big brothers who spy on us.
You can freeze/debloat nearly everything on OxygenOS without any impact compared to Samsung. I'm also debloat nearly everything from Google which comes pre-installed. But it's only minor compared to other OS.
Oneplus is one of the cleanest OS around and near to stock.

Reactions: sd_shadow

w41ru5

Jul 17, 2017
You can freeze/debloat nearly everything on OxygenOS without any impact compared to Samsung. I'm also debloat nearly everything from Google which comes pre-installed. But it's only minor compared to other OS.
Oneplus is one of the cleanest OS around and near to stock.
Right, thanks.
Steps: unlock bootloader, twrp, root Magisk, Tomatot, test.

tURkOsANsE

Jun 16, 2016
España
Hi guys. it would be good to add the two threads of MsmDownloadTool. The original that installs HydrogenOS and the other thread of a partner that puts OOS.

MsmDownloadTool HydrogenOS: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7/how-to/unbrick-tool-oneplus-7-msmtool-hydrogen-t3953240

MsmDownloadTool OOS: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-7/how-to/op7-unbrick-tool-to-restore-device-to-t3954325

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 PM ----------

Another question, when using MsmDownloadTool you have to start the phone in EDL mode. This mode has a duration of 10 seconds, then the phone restarts. Any user who has used this tool can claim to restart in EDL mode after 10 seconds, but if you press Start, do you keep EDL mode by installing the ROM Stock?

Reactions: ZenR2 and strongst

tURkOsANsE

Jun 16, 2016
España
Hello friends, I have a doubt, in other phones, when I wanted to put a clean ROM, even if it was the Stock, I always did it from TWRP:
1. Wipe / Advanced Wipe / and marked: Dalvik / ART Cache, System and Data.
2. Flash ROM OOS.

My questions are:
a) Has anyone tried to do that Wipe System? and can you confirm if you can then install the OOS ROM or cause problems and make brick ?.

b) Can you also do Wipe Vendor with Wipe System without causing brick?

Thank you and see if someone has done those steps and takes me out of doubt.

strongst

Staff member
Sep 18, 2007
thank's
HTC Desire
Smart Watches
Hello friends, I have a doubt, in other phones, when I wanted to put a clean ROM, even if it was the Stock, I always did it from TWRP:
1. Wipe / Advanced Wipe / and marked: Dalvik / ART Cache, System and Data.
2. Flash ROM OOS.

My questions are:
a) Has anyone tried to do that Wipe System? and can you confirm if you can then install the OOS ROM or cause problems and make brick ?.

b) Can you also do Wipe Vendor with Wipe System without causing brick?

Thank you and see if someone has done those steps and takes me out of doubt.
Why should you brick the phone when you wipe system /vendor and then flashing those partitions again when flashing OxygenOS?

tURkOsANsE

Jun 16, 2016
España
Why should you brick the phone when you wipe system /vendor and then flashing those partitions again when flashing OxygenOS?

I have already read it several times in the forum, and they say that then you have to install ROM by fastboot. That's why I ask, in case a partner did it and it worked. when I updated on other ROM phones, instead of directly flashing the new ROM, first to wipe system and cache and then install the ROM update. to make a "semi-clean" installation. And now I don't know if it could be done by doing wipe system and vendor before installing.

Nobody07

Sep 7, 2010
Hello,
I ran into an issue today.

1- I downloaded the update through the phones updater. (9.5.8 BA. Full ZIP (2Go))
2- I went into TWRP and flashed latest twrp unofficial installer.
3- I flashed magisk
4- I rebooted into twrp, latest unofficial
5- Flashed OTA file from .OTA folder.
6- Flashed latest TWRP unofficial installer
7- Flashed magisk

=> stuck in bootloop.

Only fix was to go into twrp and manually select the other Slot, which worked thank god.
Anyone has a clue what I did wrong?

tURkOsANsE

Jun 16, 2016
España
Hello,
I ran into an issue today.

1- I downloaded the update through the phones updater. (9.5.8 BA. Full ZIP (2Go))
2- I went into TWRP and flashed latest twrp unofficial installer.
3- I flashed magisk
4- I rebooted into twrp, latest unofficial
5- Flashed OTA file from .OTA folder.
6- Flashed latest TWRP unofficial installer
7- Flashed magisk

=> stuck in bootloop.

Only fix was to go into twrp and manually select the other Slot, which worked thank god.
Anyone has a clue what I did wrong?

Hi guys, I put the steps I did to update when it is in OOS Stock with TWRP and Magisk, I did it from version 9.5.7 to 9.5.8 without problems, I do the method of installing everything in both slots, although there are people who only do it in a slot. I put what I did and it worked for me:

1. Backup with TWRP

2. Go to TWRP Reboot and see which slot you are in (then install it in the other slot).

3. In the first slot:
3.1. Go to Wipe Advanced and do Wipe Cache / Dalvik
3.2. OOS flashing
3.3. TWRP flashing
3.4. Flashing Magisk

4. Reboot TWRP

5. Change to second slot (go to Reboot and select the other slot:
5.1. Go to Wipe Advanced and do Wipe Cache / Dalvik
5.2. OOS flashing
5.3. TWRP flashing
5.4. Flashing Magisk

6. OPTIONAL: Change from Slot to the first (to go to Reboot and click on the other), I like to always work in the A, but that is a taste.

7. Reboot System.

PD: I use TWRP Blu_Spark:
https://github.com/engstk/android_device_oneplus_guacamole_unified_TWRP/releases/tag/v9.103

TWRP dev message: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79905872&postcount=29

Last edited:

Nobody07

Sep 7, 2010
Hi guys, I put the steps I did to update when it is in OOS Stock with TWRP and Magisk, I did it from version 9.5.7 to 9.5.8 without problems, I do the method of installing everything in both slots, although there are people who only do it in a slot. I put what I did and it worked for me:

1. Backup with TWRP

2. Go to TWRP Reboot and see which slot you are in (then install it in the other slot).

3. In the first slot:
3.1. Go to Wipe Advanced and do Wipe Cache / Dalvik
3.2. OOS flashing
3.3. TWRP flashing
3.4. Flashing Magisk

4. Reboot TWRP

5. Change to second slot (go to Reboot and select the other slot:
5.1. Go to Wipe Advanced and do Wipe Cache / Dalvik
5.2. OOS flashing
5.3. TWRP flashing
5.4. Flashing Magisk

6. OPTIONAL: Change from Slot to the first (to go to Reboot and click on the other), I like to always work in the A, but that is a taste.

7. Reboot System.

PD: I use TWRP Blu_Spark:
https://github.com/engstk/android_device_oneplus_guacamole_unified_TWRP/releases/tag/v9.103

TWRP dev message: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=79905872&postcount=29

Sooooo what you are saying is you flash on both slots so that both are ****ed if there is an issue?
Very smart.
With my issue I couldn't flash second slot anyway since I lose access to data.

Edit: Same issue with local update followed by twrp install through magisk.

Last edited:

tURkOsANsE

Jun 16, 2016
España
Sooooo what you are saying is you flash on both slots so that both are ****ed if there is an issue?
Very smart.

I put what I did and I had no problem. something you would do differently so that I don't let you install it:good:

Nobody07

Sep 7, 2010
Very smart.

SO following on my issue, my suspicion is that there is something wrong on my slot A.
Slot B is where my current usable setup is. When installing an update it goes into slot A and it fails whatever I try.

My question would be, how can I copy my exact configuration of slot B to slot A, to try updating again?

Thank you !

D

Deleted member 5408779

SO following on my issue, my suspicion is that there is something wrong on my slot A.
Slot B is where my current usable setup is. When installing an update it goes into slot A and it fails whatever I try.

My question would be, how can I copy my exact configuration of slot B to slot A, to try updating again?

Thank you !

Not sure what do you try there. Its much easier and safe to factory reset the whole phone and try to update it. Maybe you should also use MSMTool to go stock if nothing works.
Trust me it's a lot faster to backup your data and reset your phone before trying to copy slots.:good:

Reactions: strongst

Nobody07

Sep 7, 2010
Not sure what do you try there. Its much easier and safe to factory reset the whole phone and try to update it. Maybe you should also use MSMTool to go stock if nothing works.
Trust me it's a lot faster to backup your data and reset your phone before trying to copy slots.:good:

I'm not going to share my whole life here, but that is not an option for now. I can't copy to my phone, and I can't install any tool on the computer I use.

Also it was stock before I flashed the actual 9.5.6. So chances are going back to stock would trigger the exact same thing. It had H2O on slot A when it arrived and OOS on slot B if I recall.

Whatever I am not able to do any of this right now, so copying over from slot B to A would be a good option if it was possible.

D

Deleted member 5408779

I'm not going to share my whole life here, but that is not an option for now. I can't copy to my phone, and I can't install any tool on the computer I use.

Also it was stock before I flashed the actual 9.5.6. So chances are going back to stock would trigger the exact same thing. It had H2O on slot A when it arrived and OOS on slot B if I recall.

Whatever I am not able to do any of this right now, so copying over from slot B to A would be a good option if it was possible.

So you rather risk to lose all your data if you play with partitions and slots?:confused:
If there is no chance to backup data and reset the phone I wouldn't do anything for now. Hope you'll find a way to fix your problem.:good:

Nobody07

Sep 7, 2010
So you rather risk to lose all your data if you play with partitions and slots?:confused:
If there is no chance to backup data and reset the phone I wouldn't do anything for now. Hope you'll find a way to fix your problem.:good:

I guess I will just have to wait then.

What is your advice to be the more effective when it comes to backing up everything and putting it back again?
Can I just restore data + Internal storage + all the other partitions and it will be the exact same? If so should I first restore the data and then flash the ROM, or the other way around?

Thanks

Edit: Is there a possibility to only "reset" one slot?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts