[Help Thread][Unihertz Atom] Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly (2018)

gholk

Dec 20, 2018
not receive update yet

I just checked and an update is available.

Sent from my Atom using XDA Labs
i am in taiwan, not receive update yet. are there people not in america receive update yet?

by the way, what is different between *setting > system > system update*
and *setting > system > about phone > wireless update* ?

twmccart

Dec 2, 2016
SP Flash tool version necessary?

I have rooted the Atom!

(After learning SP Flash tool, WWr_Mtk, Magisk, and scatter files, I've done it!)

I will post the files shortly. The versions will be what is on my phone currently - one system update shortly after receiving the Atom.

Brief procedure: get SP Flash tool, the scatter file I created, and the atom patched boot image.
Did you use the version of SP Flash tool provided by Unihertz in their Google Drive account, or did you use a newer version? Did you by any chance do this on a machine other than Windows?

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 PM ----------

On my Jelly Pro I ended up in a state where it wouldn't let me apply the OTA update, even after unrooting and restoring the original recovery. Has anyone with a rooted Atom successfully applied the latest update?

Oct 14, 2017
have not received update yet...
my boot partition is magisk's patched, and i also oem relock after install magisk.
can i receive ota update?
Yes you can, but you will lose your Magisk. Just did it. Obviously boot.img have been overwritten. Patching boot.img again was a bad idea - it did a factory reset. So I decided to reroll new system with SP tool to be sure that all is ok.
Yes, I did backup ;)

Reactions: sd_shadow

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
Yes you can, but you will lose your Magisk. Just did it. Obviously boot.img have been overwritten. Patching boot.img again was a bad idea - it did a factory reset. So I decided to reroll new system with SP tool to be sure that all is ok.
Yes, I did backup ;)
Not clear if you were able to do the update and then re-root with Magisk? I haven't done the update yet but it sounds like a good thing to have however it would be a toss up if I couldn't root it after updating.

Oct 14, 2017
Not clear if you were able to do the update and then re-root with Magisk? I haven't done the update yet but it sounds like a good thing to have however it would be a toss up if I couldn't root it after updating.
Yes, I did the update and then reroot. But after reroot the system reloaded and wiped all of my data. Looks like factory reset happen every time when bootloader being unloked. So I have had to restore all of my files and installed apps from backup (I use Titanium Backup). Now my phone system is up to date.

PS I've used bootloader unlocking and fastboot to root the phone

Last edited:

Th3 A6add0n

Mar 2, 2016
[SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
for
Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
[/SIZE]​
[SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Unihertz Atom

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
List of supporters
...​
To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.
I was compiling AICP for Oxygen (Mi Max 2) and got an error.
Can anyone please help me?
Source
Device Tree branch arrow-9.x
Vendor Blob branch lineage-16.0
Device Common branch 9.0-4.9
Kernel Source branch pie_final

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
Yes, I did the update and then reroot. But after reroot the system reloaded and wiped all of my data. Looks like factory reset happen every time when bootloader being unloked. So I have had to restore all of my files and installed apps from backup (I use Titanium Backup). Now my phone system is up to date.

PS I've used bootloader unlocking and fastboot to root the phone
Thanks for the clarification. After rooting several Jelly Pro's and a Melrose S9+ (another tiny phone similar to the original Jelly - not Pro) I'm thinking Magisk may be a good option for rooting the Atom. Atom is an awesome phone IMO - just need my stronger glasses for some things on it ;)

---------- Post added at 11:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

I was compiling AICP for Oxygen (Mi Max 2) and got an error.
Can anyone please help me?
Source
Device Tree branch arrow-9.x
Vendor Blob branch lineage-16.0
Device Common branch 9.0-4.9
Kernel Source branch pie_final
Not sure what this has to do with the Unihertz Atom - different phone, different CPU - sounds like you might want to ask in a Xiaomi thread or forum - don't think you'll find much help here....

Reactions: Th3 A6add0n

tapa_t

May 27, 2014
As fa as I know, all android devices wipe everything when you unlock bootloader.
It's not an Atom thing, a Unihertz thing, or an OS 8.1 thing. That's just how android works.
However, if you are using SP flash tools to flash, there never is any need for unlocking bootloader in the first place.
For many that's the biggest reason for choosing an MTK device. For some that's the only reason.

gholk

Dec 20, 2018
can i use fastboot flash stock image with scatter file?

I am using linux, so i have some trouble with SP flash tool.
SP flash tool linux version not work on my machine.

Can i directly use fastboot to flash all image in the stock image zip?
Just like flash boot.img for magisk.

There are many file in zip, accroding to scatter file,
most image match a partition on android.
Somehow there are still some file not in scatter file,
and some partition in scatter file have `file_name: NONE`.

I am afraid of that if some partition I did not flash, my phone will brick.

Oct 14, 2017
I am using linux, so i have some trouble with SP flash tool.
SP flash tool linux version not work on my machine.

Can i directly use fastboot to flash all image in the stock image zip?
Just like flash boot.img for magisk.

There are many file in zip, accroding to scatter file,
most image match a partition on android.
Somehow there are still some file not in scatter file,
and some partition in scatter file have `file_name: NONE`.

I am afraid of that if some partition I did not flash, my phone will brick.
I think the simpler way is to do wireless upgrade, and then (if you need root) just to flash patched boot.img using fastboot. Of course, you must backup all of your data before.

Last edited:
Reactions: sd_shadow

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
How I rooted & Updated all at once without custom recovery, ADB or Fastboot

How to ROOT, Update to latest Unihertz ROM without Custom recovery or ADB or Fastboot.
I got the Unihertz Atom "How to Flash a ROM" manual and latest ROM here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RYcxHLfp3huxY79C3fAGtoe-hnLVdWpX
and downloaded the MTK drivers (already had them but reinstalled anyway) . Backup your Apps and data any way you can before starting unless your phone is just new. I'm not responsible if you brick your phone but this worked for me and was a quick and easy way to update to Unihertz's latest ROM which has some important updates and fixes.
- The "how to flash a ROM" has links for the drivers.
- Turn on developer options (click build number 7 or more times)
- Turn on OEM unlock
- Forget using the flash tool they mention and get SP Flash tool latest 5.1828 version.
- Open the ROM zip file you downloaded and unzip to a folder then copy the boot-verified.img file to your Atom.
- Install latest Magisk. Turn on Wifi.
- Start Magisk and click Install then find the boot image (rename it boot.img from the boot-verified.img) just to make sure Magisk sees it.
- After clicking install then click patch boot image.
- After it is done copy the patched_boot.img back to your PC and rename it boot-verified.img and copy that back into the unzipped ROM folder of the latest ROM update (currently 11-30-2018).
- Start SP Flash tool - load the scatter file from that unzipped ROM.
- Turn off your Atom and hook it up to the USB on your computer.
- Make sure the 'Connection' setting in SP Flash tool is set to 'Battery installed' or Auto.
- When ready click on the SP Flash tool "Download" button on the main page then push the power button briefly on you Atom but not long enough to turn it on. The download should start and when finished SP tool will show a big check mark and 'Done' - then disconnect the USB cable.
- Turn on your phone and you will have the new setup screen where you will need to do the usual setup stuff.
- Install latest Magisk manager App
- Start Magisk Manager and you will see Magisk is already installed and you will have ROOT.
- I suggest installing ROM Toolbox by J Rummy and freezing any Apps you don't like :cool:

Last edited:

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
Although the above method produced a good working root as I verified by several means you will likely get a message from Magisk after a short while that it is not working fully or properly and it needs to install the Magisk.zip file. If you have Wifi on or mobile data it will download that for you and install it after which it reboots the phone and all is well.

tapa_t

May 27, 2014
Again, if you are flashing by using SP flash tool, NO NEED TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER unless you really want to wipe your device by doing so.
Besides, tapping "OEM unlock" in developer options alone does nothing.
If you want to unlock bootloader, you have to "fastboot oem unlock" after enabling it in developer options.

Fastboot can flash only the partitions it recognizes - boot, system, recovery, cache, userdata for sure. Others I don't know. I doubt that fastboot is meant to support all possible android devices on earth, so if you have vendor-specific partitions, chances are fastboot won't flash them.

It's a huge advantage of MTK android devices that you can flash a whole ROM by SP flash tool at any time, even when your device won't even power up. That makes MTK devices nearly brick-proof. But, if you for whatever the reason cannot have SP flash tool working, it's for your best interest not to mess with your Atom at all.

If you have made any modification to either the boot, system, or recovery, your device WILL NOT apply OTA update itself. You will have to flash it yourself. If you don't know which partitions to flash/not flash or how, your best bet is to simply flash back the original partitions, which you backed up before replacing them with modified ones, and get OTA update the normal way. You may not have the update file yet, but when all your partitions are completely stock, you WILL receive OTA update. If I don't have SP flash tool working, I wouldn't do it any other way. After updating, you can root it again IF YOU REALLY WANT TO. If I don't have SP flash tool working, I wouldn't.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone