[Help Thread][Unihertz Atom] Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly (2018)

Search This thread

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
  • Sep 21, 2011
    South Dakota
    goo.gl
    Moto X4
    Moto G7 Power
    This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to

Unihertz Atom

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​
    ...​

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.​
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!​
    Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

Last edited:

tylla

Nov 11, 2019
    Hi all!
    This post is more like sharing my experience and giving some warning(s). (Android and XDA noob here, but was hacking my webOS devices for years)
    My Atom came with Android 9, so I only wanted root access.
    Long story short I successfully installed TWRP (the modified version of droidzer1) and Magisk (v20.0) using an OTG cable and a USB stick.
    Meanwhile I had a few problems:
    - 'fastboot oem unlock' is not working on my Atom, only 'fastboot flashing unlock' produced the desired results.
    - TWRP was not "sticking" to the device, after 'fastboot flash recovery recovery.verified.img' I could enter TWRP recovery, but after next reboot the default recovery took over.
    - the encrypted /data was painful at first, but USB stick with OTG solved the problem
    - TWRP backup was unable to save to my mounted USB stick. In order to be able to do the backup I had to format the /data partition, do the backup there and finally copy the files to the USB stick.
    - with the TWRP and Magisk installed doing an 'Erase all data (Factory reset)' proved to be really catastrophic, I got my Atom into a silent state (aka. softbrick), only the preloader was able to chime in on USB. I had to reflash the factory firmware with SP Flash (and for this I had to use a Windows machine because all other things up to this point were done on a Linux ;)).

Still have to try the 'patched boot image way' of installing Magisk.

Anyway, big thanks to droidzer1 for patching TWRP and to all others for providing bits and pieces of information.

Regards,
    Tylla

J-Kos

May 18, 2017
    Seems like we're going to get a new FW update soon. Here's a part of my dialogue with Unihertz Tech support:

Me: May I ask you, if there's any plan about releasing new firmware for Unihertz Atom in the near future?
    Unihertz: Yes we will release new update for Atom soon.
    Me: Great, thank you for your reply! May I know, when approximately could it be released?
    Unihertz: Hello, Our technical teams plans to release the new update within this month. But they did not give us a specitic date. Let's wait for some while.

Last edited:

gholk

Dec 20, 2018
    # how i update atom to 2020-01
    i update from 2019 to 2020-01 firmware while keep all user data and magisk root.

1. backup your data for assurance. i use `adb backup` and `tar` backup sdcard.

- this backup all app data: `adb backup -f app.ab -apk -obb -noshared -all -system`

- this backup built-in storage: `adb shell cd /sdcard \; tar -cf - . > sdcard.tar`

2. you need stock image and sp flash tool.

3. open sp flash tool, and select the scatter file in stock image.

4. choose *Download Only* action, in *Format All + Download*, *Firmware Update* and *Download Only*.

5. select all partition except *userdata*, so your data will not be erased.

6. click download button.

7. poweroff android, and connect it to computer. download will start automatically.

8. after download finish, disconnect android from computer.

9. now your android is updated, but lose the root permision. power on the android, and check anything is ok.

10. send the `boot-verified.img` in stock image to the android.

11. launch magisk manager on android. choose install magisk by patching the boot image, which you just sent to android from stock image.

12. the patched boot image sould be `Download/magisk_patched.img`. send it the computer.

13. open sp flash tool again.

14. load the same scatter file, but this time just flash the boot partition, and click the filename of boot image, replacing it with `magisk_patched.img` .

15. click download button and flash it just like before.

16. you should get the root permision now.

in this update, the built-in image viewer become google photo,
    so i use **simple gallery** instead.

gholk

Dec 20, 2018
    got an ota update with version number `Unihertz_Atom_20191114_20200227-1932` .
    it state that this update will fix bug that **Digital Wellbeing** disappear from **Setting** .
    however, no stock rom released on google drive til now,
    and it seem that the update is not very important, so i will not update now.

gholk

Dec 20, 2018
    does anyone get or fix the bug about microphone after applying update?
    my mic become very weak so people are hard to hear me in call.
    it seem that many people face this problem on unihertz's forum.
    some of them fix it by cut the rubber arround the mic.

donri

May 31, 2020
    After a little over a year of use, the Atom just all of a sudden froze and turned off. Whether it turned off because I started pushing the power button due to freeze or all by itself, no idea.
    It has not turned back on since then :(.
    This occured right after a phonecall, while checking system messages from the main screen (i.e. to see why the phone beeped during the call).
    Now that I've thought about it, there was one odd thing I think I noticed: I had received an SMS (from a person I know) during the call and after the brief message there were a bunch of emoji at the end of the message. This kind of struck me as odd, because I did not recall seeing such an emoji collection in the mainscreen message area before and also this person practically never uses emojis like that.
    So, did displaying the message trigger something odd? Who can say...

Anyway, after some tries and retries at pushing button combinations and charging overnight I have since been trying to fix this device by flashing it. And nothing helps. I have experience of flashing devices, but not of flashing a MediaTek phone and it all seems really messy :(. I got the official ROM from Unihertz and there was also supposed to be an official flash tool, but that flash tool seems to be only downloadable from Baidu (or somesuch) and I cannot access it. I have downloaded multiple versions of the flash tool and tried them, but aside from the ones which claim to be too old to support the firmware version, I always get stuck in the same step: DA 100%, red bar. And then nothing :(.

When I attach the device I get a "MediaTek USB Port" (currently COM12... I think it was, like COM3, originally...). I've tried various versions of the driver too. When the DA 100% red bar has been done, that device "sticks" in the device manager and no longer disconnects, but nothing like a flashing operation still happens. If I then deattach the device, it is no longer recognized by the computer at all. On Windows it just says "Device descriptor request failed". On Linux (I also tried with Linux and get exactly to the same stage as I do on Windows) dmesg shows a similar conclusion: The device is sufficiently offline to not be able to communicate even the "basics" of USB signaling? That can be cured by long pressing the powerbutton, after which I again get successfully to the DA 100% stage. As if that helped :mad:.

In desperation, I've tried opening the device up and removing the battery. I also tried connecting testpads on the mother board to ground as suggested in a Youtube video. Nothing has helped in any way: this thing still behaves exactly the same as it did when I realized I have to start troubleshooting it.

The worst thing is that this is right about the only phone I own to which nothing has been done as far as customizations go (the point kind of was to get an easy to carry phone I would not mess up). I bought it for four things: Calls, SMS, Signal, Spotify. No rooting, no other apps installed. Nothing :(. It never even got wet or thrown about, I only bought it because it was small and had a headphone jack, not because it was "rugged". And now this mess :crying:.

Does anyone here have any idea what I could do now? Please tell me if you though of a possible solution while reading this. I have already posted in Unihertz's own forums and emailed them, but I don't know whether they watch the forums or respond to emails, so I figured I'd try here too.

UPDATE: Unihertz replied to my email very soon after I sent it! And when I requested the flash tool they replied to that within just a couple of hours!! :good: I now have the official flash tool version. Unfortunately it behaves exactly the same as the later versions of the flash tool, so I have still not been able to resume from the DA 100% stage :(.

Last edited:
    Oct 14, 2017
    does anyone get or fix the bug about microphone after applying update?
    my mic become very weak so people are hard to hear me in call.
    it seem that many people face this problem on unihertz's forum.
    some of them fix it by cut the rubber arround the mic.

Are you sure that this is a bug? I guess not. I've same problem and have tried to solve it using firmware downgrade with no success. As well tried to clean mic hole from both outside and inside keeping protecting membrane intact, got out black rubber cover wrapping mic with same result. The only thing helped - getting off protecting membrane. I think it is somehow degraded after year or so. Now phone works well, but it's not water resistant anymore.
    Cutting the rubber around the mic may be an option because although while speech was barely audible, the blowing toward the mic was transmitted loud enough. I think you can check this way not cutting rubber but trying carefully unstick and stick it back if it doesn't help.

droidzer1

Oct 28, 2013
    After a little over a year of use, the Atom just all of a sudden froze and turned off. Whether it turned off because I started pushing the power button due to freeze or all by itself, no idea.
    This occured right after a phonecall, while checking system messages from the main screen (i.e. to see why the phone beeped during the call).
    Now that I've thought about it, there was one odd thing I think I noticed: I had received an SMS (from a person I know) during the call and after the brief message there were a bunch of emoji at the end of the message. This kind of struck me as odd, because I did not recall seeing such an emoji collection in the mainscreen message area before and also this person practically never uses emojis like that.

Anyway, after some tries and retries at pushing button combinations and charging overnight I have since been trying to fix this device by flashing it. And nothing helps. I have experience of flashing devices, but not of flashing a MediaTek phone and it all seems really messy :(. I got the official ROM from Unihertz and there was also supposed to be an official flash tool, but that flash tool seems to be only downloadable from Baidu (or somesuch) and I cannot access it. I have downloaded multiple versions of the flash tool and tried them, but aside from the ones which claim to be too old to support the firmware version, I always get stuck in the same step: DA 100%, red bar. And then nothing :(.

When I attach the device I get a "MediaTek USB Port" (currently COM12... I think it was, like COM3, originally...). I've tried various versions of the driver too. When the DA 100% red bar has been done, that device "sticks" in the device manager and no longer disconnects, but nothing like a flashing operation still happens. If I then deattach the device, it is no longer recognized by the computer at all. On Windows it just says "Device descriptor request failed". On Linux (I also tried with Linux and get exactly to the same stage as I do on Windows) dmesg shows a similar conclusion: The device is sufficiently offline to not be able to communicate even the "basics" of USB signaling? That can be cured by long pressing the powerbutton, after which I again get successfully to the DA 100% stage. As if that helped :mad:.

In desperation, I've tried opening the device up and removing the battery. I also tried connecting testpads on the mother board to ground as suggested in a Youtube video. Nothing has helped in any way: this thing still behaves exactly the same as it did when I realized I have to start troubleshooting it.

The worst thing is that this is right about the only phone I own to which nothing has been done as far as customizations go (the point kind of was to get an easy to carry phone I would not mess up). I bought it for four things: Calls, SMS, Signal, Spotify. No rooting, no other apps installed. Nothing :(. It never even got wet or thrown about, I only bought it because it was small and had a headphone jack, not because it was "rugged". And now this mess :crying:.

Does anyone here have any idea what I could do now? Please tell me if you though of a possible solution while reading this. I have already posted in Unihertz's own forums and emailed them, but I don't know whether they watch the forums or respond to emails, so I figured I'd try here too.

UPDATE: Unihertz replied to my email very soon after I sent it! And when I requested the flash tool they replied to that within just a couple of hours!! :good: I now have the official flash tool version. Unfortunately it behaves exactly the same as the later versions of the flash tool, so I have still not been able to resume from the DA 100% stage :(.

I know this is way late to respond but in case you still have your DA Atom sitting around I've got a suggestion. Most likely you were hit by malware in an multimedia message. The trick using SP Flash tool in this sort of case usually involves careful timing of plugging in the phone to your computer. l've brought back apparently dead Unihertz Jelly Pro models this way and no reason it won't work for the Atom or nearly any MediaTek based phones. If your battery is run all the way down you may be able to do this even without the timing being exact. You just start SP Flashtool and have it ready to start a flash then click start and then plug in your phone if the battery is dead it should work. If not it is a matter of plugging in the phone in the middle of a reboot or after holding down the power button for around 30 seconds and then plug into the computer. Keep trying different times to plug in once you have requested SP Flashtool to start a flash. Good luck

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      This thread has been created
      for
      Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting

Specific to

Unihertz Atom

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
      attachment.php
      List of supporters
      ...​
      ...​
      ...​
      ...​

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.​
      If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!​
      Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!​
      Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
      If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.

How I rooted & Updated all at once without custom recovery, ADB or Fastboot

How to ROOT, Update to latest Unihertz ROM without Custom recovery or ADB or Fastboot.
      I got the Unihertz Atom "How to Flash a ROM" manual and latest ROM here: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RYcxHLfp3huxY79C3fAGtoe-hnLVdWpX
      and downloaded the MTK drivers (already had them but reinstalled anyway) . Backup your Apps and data any way you can before starting unless your phone is just new. I'm not responsible if you brick your phone but this worked for me and was a quick and easy way to update to Unihertz's latest ROM which has some important updates and fixes.
      - The "how to flash a ROM" has links for the drivers.
      - Turn on developer options (click build number 7 or more times)
      - Turn on OEM unlock
      - Forget using the flash tool they mention and get SP Flash tool latest 5.1828 version.
      - Open the ROM zip file you downloaded and unzip to a folder then copy the boot-verified.img file to your Atom.
      - Install latest Magisk. Turn on Wifi.
      - Start Magisk and click Install then find the boot image (rename it boot.img from the boot-verified.img) just to make sure Magisk sees it.
      - After clicking install then click patch boot image.
      - After it is done copy the patched_boot.img back to your PC and rename it boot-verified.img and copy that back into the unzipped ROM folder of the latest ROM update (currently 11-30-2018).
      - Start SP Flash tool - load the scatter file from that unzipped ROM.
      - Turn off your Atom and hook it up to the USB on your computer.
      - Make sure the 'Connection' setting in SP Flash tool is set to 'Battery installed' or Auto.
      - When ready click on the SP Flash tool "Download" button on the main page then push the power button briefly on you Atom but not long enough to turn it on. The download should start and when finished SP tool will show a big check mark and 'Done' - then disconnect the USB cable.
      - Turn on your phone and you will have the new setup screen where you will need to do the usual setup stuff.
      - Install latest Magisk manager App
      - Start Magisk Manager and you will see Magisk is already installed and you will have ROOT.
      - I suggest installing ROM Toolbox by J Rummy and freezing any Apps you don't like :cool:
      TWRP for Atom

I have patched TWRP now to work on the Atom on the Oreo 8.1 version dated 11-30-2018. I'll upload it shortly. I installed TWRP by using SP Flash tool and also installed the patched Magisk boot and the stock preloader. Use the scatter file from the 11-30-2018 ROM I mention above - this one:
      11-30-2018 latest ROM

A couple notes on SP Flash tool - my Avast antivirus doesn't see a problem with it but Virustotal.com will say it has trojans. Since I'm not sure I only use it when I have Shadow Defender enabled on my PC (freezes everything in your system so no changes are made permanent) and then I disable antivirus. Upon reboot everything is back to the way it was before you enabled Shadow Defender.

Download the TWRP I modified for the Atom here:
      Link no longer valid - see the link in post #70 below.

---------- Post added at 08:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

[/COLOR]I'm noting one issue with TWRP recovery. Don't use any apps the have a "reboot to recovery" option - not even TWRP which has reboot to recovery option or it will just power off and you won't be able to start it up again without reflashing the recovery, boot and preloader. However if you just use the Volume UP and Power buttons to get into recovery from a powered off state it works fine. So always power down then use Volume UP and Power held down until you see the first Unihertz screen and then release both buttons and it will boot into TWRP.
      Hi,
      I just received my ATOM via KickStarter!
      It's done very well, comfortably fit in my hands. If I could make it rooted, I would play more..

I know this is way late to respond but in case you still have your DA Atom sitting around I've got a suggestion. Most likely you were hit by malware in an multimedia message. The trick using SP Flash tool in this sort of case usually involves careful timing of plugging in the phone to your computer. l've brought back apparently dead Unihertz Jelly Pro models this way and no reason it won't work for the Atom or nearly any MediaTek based phones. If your battery is run all the way down you may be able to do this even without the timing being exact. You just start SP Flashtool and have it ready to start a flash then click start and then plug in your phone if the battery is dead it should work. If not it is a matter of plugging in the phone in the middle of a reboot or after holding down the power button for around 30 seconds and then plug into the computer. Keep trying different times to plug in once you have requested SP Flashtool to start a flash. Good luck
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone