[Help Thread][Xiaomi Mi Pad 4](2018) Ask Any Question, Noob Friendly

Search This thread

Bluray_123

Aug 18, 2018
Hello,

I'm new here and also with the tablet from xiaomi. I want to buy the pad but I'm not sure. I need a the pad with German language, working google play store and Netflix/amazon in HD. Netflix said on twitter that they support HD with widevine L3. Is that true? Are there apps that don't work?
With which Rom should I buy it? Is it easy to flash the global rom? Does the global rom for the 8" also works for the 10"?

Thank you and I hope I ask not to much

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
I'm not active inside the custom rom community, so are there any plans to "officially" support this device from any major players such as LineageOS, ParanoidAndroid, etc?
Roms do not receive official status, unless a Developer is willing and able to maintain specific source files for the device.
Generally that Dev needs to have a working knowledge of that device and should have access or preferably own the device, for testing purposes.

Sent from my perry_f using XDA Labs

DoriDoritos

Aug 21, 2018
Guys, I am thinking of buying a Mi Pad 4 from Aliexpress. Unfortunately, it's the Chinese version and not the Global one. Can I flash the global version and Gapps on it when it arrives?

Reactions: sanjay601

cyrax0001

Aug 22, 2018
Facebook marketplace missing

guys my mi pad 4 is missing its marketplace icon in facebook. any solutions? need help thanks

andr01d3

Feb 26, 2009
OnePlus 6
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
Guys, I am thinking of buying a Mi Pad 4 from Aliexpress. Unfortunately, it's the Chinese version and not the Global one. Can I flash the global version and Gapps on it when it arrives?

There's not any global version ROM (official or not) for this device yet.

But you can install Google Apps using an APK file in the Chinese ROM, there are a lot of tutorials online for it.

Reactions: sd_shadow

andr01d3

Feb 26, 2009
OnePlus 6
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
Hello,

I'm new here and also with the tablet from xiaomi. I want to buy the pad but I'm not sure. I need a the pad with German language, working google play store and Netflix/amazon in HD. Netflix said on twitter that they support HD with widevine L3. Is that true? Are there apps that don't work?
With which Rom should I buy it? Is it easy to flash the global rom? Does the global rom for the 8" also works for the 10"?

There's not any global version ROM (official or not) for this device yet. No German language, only Chinese and English.

But you can install Google Apps using an APK file in the Chinese ROM, there are a lot of tutorials online for it.

Netflix is not even listed in Google Play results, you need to install the apk manually. And no HD playing.

If you want HD playing for Netflix and other streaming services, buy another device.

ctgchaos

Jul 1, 2011
Lede
Clearer explanation

I seem to have a problem unlocking a the bootloader.

I've waited the necessary time and the unlock tool does run seemingly correctly, stating that it unlocked my device (see attached image), but in reality it didn't. My tablet just exits fastboot and reboots, without actually unlocking the bootloader.

I did enable the option "OEM unlocking" in the "Mi Account" menu.

Could anyone with more luck chime in on this?

Kind regards.

Last edited:

milky81

Oct 29, 2012
Hello,

Only widevine L3, so no HD. Netflix not supported as mentioned before, need sideload.

See this Twitter conversation from official Netflix account. A user mentions he gets 960x540. I think it looks OK but it would have been nice with full HD. Also there is mentions that Snapdragon 660 is supposed to support widevine L1..... maybe licensing cost that Xiaomi did not want to pay?
https://twitter.com/Netflixhelps/status/1030121266982907904

ctgchaos

Jul 1, 2011
Lede
What rom did it have when you got it, could it be because unofficially unlocked bootloader and fake rom seller installed?

I just did a check, I don't remember what it came with, but it says "MIUI 9.6.26.0 | Stable" now. If I look in the "all specs" menu, it also says (ODJCNFD).

Mi Unlock Status in "Aditional Settings - Developer Options" states: "This device is locked This phone is secured"

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [SIZE=+2]This thread has been created
    for
    Questions & Answers/Troubleshooting
    [/SIZE]​
    [SIZE=+2]Specific to[/SIZE]

Xiaomi Mi Pad 4

Please feel free to share issues, questions and offer help. Noob questions are welcomed.

It is always best to use the Thanks button , in lieu of simply posting "Thank you".

attachment.php

Please keep discussion focused, on questions pertaining to this Device
    attachment.php
    List of supporters
    ...​
    To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @.
    If you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
    Before posting anything, I strongly advise you to read
    Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
    If you would like to create a [Help Thread] please Click Here.
    I've got my mi pad 4 from geekbuying, it has the bootloader unlocked and has a "global" ROM.

I've been reading the thread on the xiaomi forum: https://en.miui.com/thread-3196420-1-1.html where people reported bootloops after trying to root the unlocked mi pad 4 with non-official ROM installed. Not sure if they are missing a step on installing the no verity/encryption zip from recovery or it's that specific zip is a problem, my question is -- what do I need to check to ensure the rooting (I'd like to use Magisk) would go smoothly?

I have the tablet set up, would hate to wipe it and do it all over.

Thanks!

Not sure if my experience will help but here goes.

1. I purchased a Multilanguage version of Mi Pad 4 Plus Lte 4/64 from Aliexpress, however this store now only has the Chinese version.
    2. It came to me unlocked with some kind of MIUI installed but I wasn't able to identify the rom.
    3. I tried to install TWRP 3.2.3 via these two tutorials. I tried this first -Sep's TechClass and then LR.Team. I renamed the img file I got from LR.Team and copied it in the folder from Sep's TechClass and flashed it. The recovery installed correctly and I could boot into Recovery mode with no problems and also was able to root in Recovery under the Advanced option tab. However, I could not boot into system.
    4. I then mounted the storage through Recovery mode and transferred this Xiaomi.EU stable ROM to the device storage and flashed it via Recovery. It was then able to boot into system just fine.
    5. I went back to Recovery Mode and enabled Root through Magisk.
    6. I rebooted into System and updated Magisk to the latest versions. I'm now running v18.
    7. Set up Mi Account with Find my Device on and verified via phone number.
    8. Set up my tablet and everything is working fine. I do sometimes get Power App has crashed when installing apps but everything else works. Double Tap to Wake, Fingerprint Sensor. Face Unlock. SafetyNet checks. All Google Apps, GPS, Wifi, LTE, SMS is available but call function doesn't work as reported here. Netflix works but highest resolution is 960x540 not FHD.

---------- Post added at 01:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 AM ----------

As a follow up to my post above:

I have set up my Mi Account on this device. When I inserted my SIM it asked me to sign in to my Mi Account and I did. I currently have Find My Device turned on and phone number verification active (same number as the tablet) but when I check here:
    Settings > Mi Account > Account Security > My Devices, it recognises the device as Mi Pad 4 Plus but says SIM card isn't installed or activated. I'm attaching a Screenshot.

Any idea how I can get Mi Account to recognise that this device has a Sim Card installed?

Additionally, I got this device with bootloader unlocked so I never had to apply for unlock permission through the Mi Account. Is there any advantage to applying for unlock permission (in case I need it in the future, for other devices/phones or if this device gets inadvertantly locked). Is there any one who has done this?
    The 4g Version can make phone call and sms or just for 4g connection like ipad.?

Yeh would like to know that too [emoji6]

Sent from my Mi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Well, it won't support calling function at least on the Chinese version. Stated on the China website small print right at the bottom.
    I'm not active inside the custom rom community, so are there any plans to "officially" support this device from any major players such as LineageOS, ParanoidAndroid, etc?
    Roms do not receive official status, unless a Developer is willing and able to maintain specific source files for the device.
    Generally that Dev needs to have a working knowledge of that device and should have access or preferably own the device, for testing purposes.

Sent from my perry_f using XDA Labs
    Install Magisk if You have unlocked bootloader