Question HELP! - Upgraded from A12/F66 to A13/F18 - now the phone crashes when going to the bootloader

Search This thread

jbradshw

Dec 8, 2010
Atlanta
2125 AA model OPO9

So my phone has been nagging me to upgrade to A13 for awhile now and I decided to finally bite the bullet and do it, so I backed up everything before I did it.

Now previously, to keep Magisk, I was following the guide to restore the image, do the upgrade, then flash magisk in the inactive slot. But from reading it sounded like after I upgraded to A13, I needed to go into fastboot and boot off the magisk'ed boot image. So I restored the image in magisk and then upgraded to A17 and rebooted, then to A18 (as I had the A18 boot images) and rebooted. Everything came up fine. However, as soon as I boot into the bootloader, I see if for a split second and then it immediately crashes into the Qualcomm crash dump screen. I can still reboot into the OS but I'd really like to have Magisk back if possible.

Edit (More info): When I reboot, I do get a new notice on the pre-boot screen that the device is unlocked that I didn't see before when I was on A12. In addition, in the OS, the OEM unlock is greyed out (with bootloader unlocked) and will not let me lock it again.

My current state is a working phone on A17/F18 with no root but would like to get root back (and a working bootloader for peace of mind).

So I guess my questions are:
1) Is there still a way I can get Magisk in my current state. Without the bootloader I'm assuming I'm SOL...
2) Would a factory reset from within the OS fix the bootloader?
2) If I need to use the MSM tool, where can I find the qualcomm drivers? I found one link but it was a CAB file and I could not get anything working out of that.

Last edited:

TheGhost1951

Feb 11, 2009
Garfield
OnePlus 9 Pro
2125 AA model OPO9

So my phone has been nagging me to upgrade to A13 for awhile now and I decided to finally bite the bullet and do it, so I backed up everything before I did it.

Now previously, to keep Magisk, I was following the guide to restore the image, do the upgrade, then flash magisk in the inactive slot. But from reading it sounded like after I upgraded to A13, I needed to go into fastboot and boot off the magisk'ed boot image. So I restored the image in magisk and then upgraded to A17 and rebooted, then to A18 (as I had the A18 boot images) and rebooted. Everything came up fine. However, as soon as I boot into the bootloader, I see if for a split second and then it immediately crashes into the Qualcomm crash dump screen. I can still reboot into the OS but I'd really like to have Magisk back if possible.

Edit (More info): When I reboot, I do get a new notice on the pre-boot screen that the device is unlocked that I didn't see before when I was on A12. In addition, in the OS, the OEM unlock is greyed out (with bootloader unlocked) and will not let me lock it again.

My current state is a working phone on A17/F18 with no root but would like to get root back (and a working bootloader for peace of mind).

So I guess my questions are:
1) Is there still a way I can get Magisk in my current state. Without the bootloader I'm assuming I'm SOL...
2) Would a factory reset from within the OS fix the bootloader?
2) If I need to use the MSM tool, where can I find the qualcomm drivers? I found one link but it was a CAB file and I could not get anything working out of that.
Google for latest Qualcomm 9008 USB drivers