• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[HELP] Verizon S3 won't go to Download Mode.

Search This thread

ColdKill3r!

Feb 25, 2013
Hi, everyone.
I have a Galaxy S3 from Verizon and I cannot root the phone, it simply won't go into download mode.
I have tried formatting it, but still doesn't work.
I have Android 4.1.1 version in it, I have called Verizon and they didn't know how to do it either.
I have done the combo keys Volume Down, Home and Power, but it eventually just starts up normally.
I have tried the same thing on another S3 from Verizon and it didn't go into download mode either.
I did get an international version of the phone, so the problem must be verizon.
Please, help!
Thanks!

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
You're being unclear. You say you have a Verizon GSIII but also say you have an international GSIII, which is it?

For download mode, pull the battery then try again but hold it for like 15-30 seconds.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

Outlaw621

Mar 23, 2011
Make sure you are not connected to your computer until after you get into D/L mode. I know if I am connected to the PC before I try to enter D/L mode it will not work.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColdKill3r!

natsnation87

Jan 22, 2013
Easley
Hi, everyone.
I have a Galaxy S3 from Verizon and I cannot root the phone, it simply won't go into download mode.
I have Android 4.1.1 version in it, I have called Verizon and they didn't know how to do it either.
I have done the combo keys Volume Down, Home and Power, but it eventually just starts up normally.
I have tried the same thing on another S3 from Verizon and it didn't go into download mode either.
I did get an international version of the phone, so the problem must be verizon.
Please, help!
Thanks!

You have to make sure your USB cable isn't connected while trying to put into download mode. Also hold Power, Volume Down and home button until phone vibrates and then release. Hope this helps

Reactions: ColdKill3r!

ColdKill3r!

Feb 25, 2013
Hey, guys.
Thanks for the replies.
Anyway... I have it disconnected from the USB and I also have already tried the battery thing, but none of those things worked.
I have 3 S3's, one of them is an international model, which I have rooted myself and everything worked (download mode), but the other 2 are the Verizon version (SCH-i535) of the phone isn't working - even though I've tried taking of battery, memory card, sim card, no USB cable connected. I have USB debbuging and everything that I need to have activate, but it won't go into download mode. I wonder if it's blocked (which I doubt, since I've seen people saying they rooted the Verizon S3).

luis86dr

May 27, 2009
Jersey
Its actually a button sequence of the following:

While phone off and unplugged;

Hold Home Button (Just home)

Then hold Volume down while still holding home.

And finally, hold power while holding Home + Volume down

Let me know how that works out for you.

luis86dr_zps317d706e.png

Team Kernelizers; Kernel tweaking at its finest.

Last edited:

ColdKill3r!

Feb 25, 2013
It works now. I was just not holding it long enough. I'd let go of it as soon as the phone would vibrate when I should keep holding 'em.

Reactions: SlimSnoopOS

misstq

Apr 10, 2013
help mine doesn't go neither

i did the same key combination but i don't come into download mode.

i enter a screen with an android robot lying on the back, open belly with a warning sign..

can not root :(( pls help

skywalk3r89

Nov 8, 2012
i did the same key combination but i don't come into download mode.

i enter a screen with an android robot lying on the back, open belly with a warning sign..

can not root :(( pls help

I'm having the same problem as you. Except the difficult thing for me is that I can't see my screen because the lcd is broken. I have tried the buttons and it just wont go into download mode.

The next thing I tried to do was see if I could get it into download mode on a fully functioning SGS3. I tried it out, and even though I was using those buttons, it still wouldn't go. I tried again, but this time I held the three button combo for about 2-3 additional seconds AFTER I felt the vibrate and it worked!! Try that, and hopefully it will solve your problem.

However, I tried my same steps on the broken lcd phone and it didn't seem to work. (at least I can't tell if its in download mode or not)

krustybaguette

Jun 22, 2012
Olde Stourbridge Village MA
Download mode

It works now. I was just not holding it long enough. I'd let go of it as soon as the phone would vibrate when I should keep holding 'em.

Home...Volume Down...Power...vibrate...hold until warning message about using custom ROMs appears. Then press
volume UP and I get the green Android robot and this message "Downloading...Do not turn off target !!" Upper left
corner of screen reads in tiny red text "ODIN MODE"
followed by PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
SYSTEM STATUS: Official
QUALCOM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

Does the above mean that I am in Download Mode? When I plug in the USB cable there is no response.

What does "Do not turn off target !!" mean?

If I AM in Download Mode at this point I should be able to use heimdall at the command line, but here are my responses
at the command line:

[email protected] ~/Downloads/Android_ROMs/Galaxy_SIII/Xtras $ heimdall detect
heimdall: command not found
[email protected] ~/Downloads/Android_ROMs/Galaxy_SIII/Xtras $ ./heimdall detect
Device detected
[email protected] ~/Downloads/Android_ROMs/Galaxy_SIII/Xtras $ ./heimdall print-pit
Heimdall v1.4 RC1

Copyright (c) 2010-2012, Benjamin Dobell, Glass Echidna
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/

This software is provided free of charge. Copying and redistribution is
encouraged.

If you appreciate this software and you would like to support future
development please consider donating:
http://www.glassechidna.com.au/donate/

Initialising connection...
Detecting device...
ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error: -3

As seen above it seems like there's an attempt to connect to my S3 but the libusb error: -3 sent me off searching about for a solution
and I found something about installing libusbx-1.0.17.

Followed the instructions in the INSTALL file
The simplest way to compile this package is:

1. `cd' to the directory containing the package's source code and type
`./configure' to configure the package for your system.

Running `configure' might take a while. While running, it prints
some messages telling which features it is checking for.

2. Type `make' to compile the package.

3. Optionally, type `make check' to run any self-tests that come with
the package.

4. Type `make install' to install the programs and any data files and
documentation.

#1 seemed to work, #2 "make" returns the following:
[email protected] ~/Desktop/libusbx-1.0.17 $ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

So, that's where I am stuck. Does #2 mean that I should type "make" and the specify a file as "target"

Anyone know where to go next?

The wiki says "Samsung devices come with a unique boot mode called Download Mode which is very similar to Fastboot Mode on some devices with unlocked bootloaders. Heimdall is a cross-platform, open source tool for interfacing with Download Mode on Samsung devices. The preferred method of installing a custom recovery is through this boot mode. Rooting the stock firmware is neither recommended nor necessary."

I don't object to rooting my phone, but if this heimdall method is the CM recommended method I'd like to get it to work. Suggestions???

Thx,
kb:confused:

BadUsername

Mar 20, 2013
What are you trying to do? Root? Install cm? I think there are much better ways to do what you're trying to do, but you need to be clearer.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

utter madness

Nov 27, 2012
No download mode.

I have a sprint SPH-L710 S3, and have previously gotten into download mode with no problems, but now, I get the Samsung logo, and then the Samsung galaxy SIII logo, and then a reboot to recovery, I can't get into download mode any longer to load via odin.

I am completely stuck. I've been working on this all morning trying to recover from my current soft brick state.

I've tried to restore from the backup, but can't be sure it's the correct backup. the filename is 1970-01-01.21.17.36/. I can't help but think that is not correct.

I'm currently running CWM recovery v6.0.3.1, and have been trying to update to 4.4.2 kitkat from stock 4.3 update.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

SlimSnoopOS

Jan 29, 2011
I have a sprint SPH-L710 S3, and have previously gotten into download mode with no problems, but now, I get the Samsung logo, and then the Samsung galaxy SIII logo, and then a reboot to recovery, I can't get into download mode any longer to load via odin.

I am completely stuck. I've been working on this all morning trying to recover from my current soft brick state.

I've tried to restore from the backup, but can't be sure it's the correct backup. the filename is 1970-01-01.21.17.36/. I can't help but think that is not correct.

I'm currently running CWM recovery v6.0.3.1, and have been trying to update to 4.4.2 kitkat from stock 4.3 update.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

I'm going to direct you post your question in the Sprint S3 Q/A section as continuing here will cause confusion since our Verizon S3 has TW 4.3 and we are presently locked down to the point where we are unable to use a custom recovery.

CWM defaults to naming backups in the year 1970 so that looks right at a cursory glance. Last thing, your recovery is very out of date, given how KitKat works with our Verizon S3, you need a newer version of CWM to flash KitKat. Post in the Sprint section and be as specific as you can be as to what you want to accomplish.

Merry Christmas!

the walkingdead

Jun 20, 2014
SS S3

I'm having the same problem as you. Except the difficult thing for me is that I can't see my screen because the lcd is broken. I have tried the buttons and it just wont go into download mode.

The next thing I tried to do was see if I could get it into download mode on a fully functioning SGS3. I tried it out, and even though I was using those buttons, it still wouldn't go. I tried again, but this time I held the three button combo for about 2-3 additional seconds AFTER I felt the vibrate and it worked!! Try that, and hopefully it will solve your problem.

However, I tried my same steps on the broken lcd phone and it didn't seem to work. (at least I can't tell if its in download mode or not)

Thank you so much , I followed your way and succcessed

madefree

Nov 4, 2006
AUSTIN TX
notpracticinglaw.info
Not trying to be mean but please do not revive 6 month old thread with a simple "Thanks" post. The moderators hate that. That's what the thanks button is for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Hey Sandman,

Thanks for the suggestion.

But since there are hundreds of S3s still being sold, and hundreds of buyers looking for support like this, shouldn't we supply this topic if someONE some where might need thsi?

Like I just did on my New bought a NEW a month ago

Huh?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You're being unclear. You say you have a Verizon GSIII but also say you have an international GSIII, which is it?

For download mode, pull the battery then try again but hold it for like 15-30 seconds.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

luis86dr_zps317d706e.png

Team Kernelizers; Kernel tweaking at its finest.
    Make sure you are not connected to your computer until after you get into D/L mode. I know if I am connected to the PC before I try to enter D/L mode it will not work.
    Hi, everyone.
    Please, help!
    Thanks!

You have to make sure your USB cable isn't connected while trying to put into download mode. Also hold Power, Volume Down and home button until phone vibrates and then release. Hope this helps