• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Help With Bell LG Optimus LTE

Search This thread

Ethanp

Feb 6, 2011
Ottawa
I just updated my LTE to the official Bell Mobility ICS software, I rooted it and was in the process of deleting bloatware and i accidentally deleted SystemUI.apk. Thus leading to a crash and now my phone is stuck on the LG screen with security error underneath. Can someone please help me get my phone working again.

Thanks.

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
You can try doing a factory reset if it lets you. Not sure if it lets you in that situation though.

When device is completely off, hold power button and volume down button for 5-10 seconds. Then press power button twice to confirm.

Malnilion

Dec 21, 2011
He deleted SystemUI.apk. Even if that didn't trigger LG's secure boot error, it would be in an endless bootloop that only *might* be recoverable if adb still managed to function and he had root permissions. His only option is to unbrick, which is fortuitous in a way because it will allow him to install a proper recovery that can prevent this from happening in the future.

Warrimonk

Aug 15, 2009
I just did the same thing, only I deleted Google Play Books. Holy **** is this ROM ever loaded with useless crap.

Press Volume Up + insert USB cable to access download mode. You should be able to unbrick using this.

Instead of using titanium backup to uninstall the bloatware... you need to freeze it (requires titanium backup pro)

Last edited:

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
He deleted SystemUI.apk. Even if that didn't trigger LG's secure boot error, it would be in an endless bootloop that only *might* be recoverable if adb still managed to function and he had root permissions. His only option is to unbrick, which is fortuitous in a way because it will allow him to install a proper recovery that can prevent this from happening in the future.

Yeah I misread what he said. I thought he meant he only "disabled" it.

I just did the same thing, only I deleted Google Play Books. Holy **** is this ROM ever loaded with useless crap.

Press Volume Up + insert USB cable to access download mode. You should be able to unbrick using this.

Instead of using titanium backup to uninstall the bloatware... you need to freeze it (requires titanium backup pro)

Can't you just disable all the bloatware applications using Google's built-in method? You don't even need root to do that. And it's safer than using apps like Titanium Backup which will actually modify the system partition.

This is assuming LG hasn't removed the ability to disable apps.

Then again, I'm not sure what Google's method does. I assume it doesn't modify the system partition directly but I am not sure.

Warrimonk

Aug 15, 2009
Can't you just disable all the bloatware applications using Google's built-in method? You don't even need root to do that. And it's safer than using apps like Titanium Backup which will actually modify the system partition.

This is assuming LG hasn't removed the ability to disable apps.

Then again, I'm not sure what Google's method does. I assume it doesn't modify the system partition directly but I am not sure.

What method are you talking about? Hiding an app in the app tray? It does not exist in this version... and the built in lg "App manager" only lets you remove a single app... leaves a lot more junk untouched.

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
What method are you talking about? Hiding an app in the app tray? It does not exist in this version... and the built in lg "App manager" only lets you remove a single app... leaves a lot more junk untouched.

I'm talking about going to System settings > Apps > Select a preloaded app > click Disable. If the app has been updated, you have to do "Uninstall updates" first for it to show up.

I don't know if LG has changed how this all works though.

Ethanp

Feb 6, 2011
Ottawa
I was worried i was going to have to do that. I have no idea what i am supposed to do. That whole process has me lost. Do you think it is possible to bring it in to a local repair shop and maybe they can do it? I just don't want to mess it up anymore then it is.

Warrimonk

Aug 15, 2009

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
Have you tried running the Bell ICS installer again while the phone is in download mode? (To get to download mode, turn phone completely off, then hold down volume up button while inserting the USB cable. Don't press power button; phone should turn itself on.)

I think that's all you need to do to get it back up and working.

Ethanp

Feb 6, 2011
Ottawa
Have you tried running the Bell ICS installer again while the phone is in download mode? (To get to download mode, turn phone completely off, then hold down volume up button while inserting the USB cable. Don't press power button; phone should turn itself on.)

I think that's all you need to do to get it back up and working.

Are you talking about installing the .kdz file through LG tools? I have downloaded the official Bell ICS release from HO!NO!'s thread but don't know how to install it. I try updating through LG tools but it says i am already up to date. Is there a way i can force an update?

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
Are you talking about installing the .kdz file through LG tools? I have downloaded the official Bell ICS release from HO!NO!'s thread but don't know how to install it. I try updating through LG tools but it says i am already up to date. Is there a way i can force an update?

Ah, I figured I was forgetting something. LG's tools are frustrating. I don't really see the point in preventing you from reflashing a ROM.

Yes, you can force it -- that's actually what the unbricking guide does, basically. So I guess you will have to follow the unbricking guide process, except use the Bell ICS KDZ file when doing it (and stop after you finish flashing the KDZ). The KDZ can be downloaded here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=30177420&postcount=1

Ethanp

Feb 6, 2011
Ottawa
Ah, I figured I was forgetting something. LG's tools are frustrating. I don't really see the point in preventing you from reflashing a ROM.

Yes, you can force it -- that's actually what the unbricking guide does, basically. So I guess you will have to follow the unbricking guide process, except use the Bell ICS KDZ file when doing it (and stop after you finish flashing the KDZ). The KDZ can be downloaded here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=30177420&postcount=1

Alright so i attempted the unbricking process, something strange happened. My phone left download mode the home back and menu buttons flashed my computer recognized it and then it shut off. Now it won't turn on or go into download mode or recognize I'm charging it. Noting just a black screen.

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
Alright so i attempted the unbricking process, something strange happened. My phone left download mode the home back and menu buttons flashed my computer recognized it and then it shut off. Now it won't turn on or go into download mode or recognize I'm charging it. Noting just a black screen.

Pull the battery out, plug it back in, and see if you can get to download mode again.

Ethanp

Feb 6, 2011
Ottawa
Pull the battery out, plug it back in, and see if you can get to download mode again.

Tried that and nothing happened. I'm just assuming that the battery is dead because normally (correct me if I'm wrong) when the three buttons flash it means your battery is dead. And I have been doing some research and it seems that the phone will not charge in download mode. So I have it plugged into the wall to see if it powers up (taking an awful long time though).

Ethanp

Feb 6, 2011
Ottawa

I agree the ROM is filled with tons of bloatware. What a frustrating process. Waited so long for the update and not even 24 hours with it and this happens lol.

drumist

Aug 6, 2010
Tried that and nothing happened. I'm just assuming that the battery is dead because normally (correct me if I'm wrong) when the three buttons flash it means your battery is dead. And I have been doing some research and it seems that the phone will not charge in download mode. So I have it plugged into the wall to see if it powers up (taking an awful long time though).

Yeah, I've never let my phone get that low, but supposedly it takes a while for it to get high enough to stop doing that. I'd let it charge for a few hours to make sure it's high enough to not die on you again.

douis

Jul 6, 2012
I just upgraded to Bell ICS ,but when the upgrade finished, my phone displayed the LG logo (like it would when you turn on the phone) for an hour......

not sure what to do as i have left the phone for a long time and nothing has happened, any suggestions??

Ethanp

Feb 6, 2011
Ottawa
Thanks for all the solutions from everyone. After many hours i have successfully "unbricked" my Optimus. My phone would not charge for 3+ hours and eventually got completely stuck in download mode. But I ran windows enabler and small server and after 50 or so tries the kdz update tool finally took my phone and updated it to the point prior to bricking.