• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

Help with extracting boot.img from dmz file

Search This thread

girtsj

Mar 9, 2021
Hi all.
I followed this guide
have been rooted for few months now. Received the OTA notification and did my research on how to apply it. Unfortunately I can't restore factory images in magisk as there is no stock backup found. I read somewhere that You can find the missing file and put it in manually. To do this I need to find and download official firmware file that the phone is running and extract it from there.
mine is here:
Now this is where I start facing issues. I got the right kdz file. Extracted the dz file. But by no means I cant get boot.img out of it.
Any help would be great and much appreciated.

girtsj

Mar 9, 2021
It just won't work.
I found a guide and used

LG Firmware Extract Tool v1.2.6.1​

The file is there but cant be extracted
this the output of the program:

Progress extractDZFlle Done !!
Complete on extract DZ partition files
Exception on extract partition file Ionic.Zlib.ZlibException: Bad state (incorrect header check)
at Ionic.Zlib.InflateManager.Inflate(FlushType flush)
at Ionic.Zlib.ZlibCodec.Inflate(FlushType flush)
at Ionic.Zlib.ZlibBaseStream.finish()
at Ionic.Zlib.ZlibBaseStream.Close()
at Ionic.Zlib.ZlibStream.Dispose(Boolean disposing)
at System.IO.Stream.Close()
at WindowsLGFramwareExtract.Form1.DZExtractBackprocess.extractDZFlle(ArrayList contents) in L:\Working_PROJECT\WindowsLGFramwareExtract\WindowsLGFirmwareExtract\Form1.cs:line 464
boot.img_118538
byte read position 4
header 32-96-18-74
byte read position 0
DZ file C:\Users\dirt\Desktop\LG_Firmware_Extract_v1.2.6.1\LG_Firmware_Extract_v1.2.6.1\V50020m00EEOGBOP0120.dz

Could the program be outdated and LG have changed their way of packing their firmware? Is there any other way to get it out?

way2aware

Feb 20, 2015
Phoenix
LG V50 ThinQ
Xiaomi Poco F3
The same thing happens to me when I try to do this. All I get are some vendor .img files and the same 'exception error'. The kdz I used is like 4.2gb, the dz file output is 155mb.
I think the firmware extract program is too dated for these phones, it was used for the G2. This sucks