Question Help with Google Voice (Voicemail) on this device

Search This thread

Hand76

Jul 1, 2010
Long Island N.Y.
This used to work well on past devices but um not so much anymore lol.

All I'm looking to do is have Google Voice pick up my voicemails. I'm on Verizon and the part I'm not fully understanding is do I need a Google phone number to complete this action?

This used to work with just my basic cell phone number.

Any help would be appreciated

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I honestly don't know the question to this, but I suspect people have to call you using your Google Voice phone number in order to be able to leave a voicemail. If you've signed up for Google Voice, then you have a Google Voice number, whether you're using it (or giving it out to others) or not.

It used to be you could select Google Voice as the voicemail provider in the Google Phone app. Then, several years ago when the Voice app v5 came out, I found we had to use a workaround to still be able to select Google Voice as the voicemail provider. At the time, you had to install the old Voice app v4.7, which you could then set up (sign into) and then select Voice as your voicemail provider, then you could upgrade the Voice app. As long as you never manually selected anything differently, the Phone app would visually show that nothing was your voicemail provider, but Voice would remain it.

Eventually, I found that I could no longer sign into the v4.7 Voice app on fresh setups and new devices, so it became impossible to set Voice as the voicemail app at all.

I know people still leave me voicemails successfully without this workaround, but I've given my Google Voice phone number out as my preferred number for the 11-12 years I've used Google Voice.

I'm always surprised Google doesn't kill Voice. I think they're waiting until everyone gets completely comfortable that they're not going to get rid of it, and then hit us when we least suspect. 😜

• Haha
Reactions: KOLIOSIS and Hand76

Hand76

Jul 1, 2010
Long Island N.Y.
I honestly don't know the question to this, but I suspect people have to call you using your Google Voice phone number in order to be able to leave a voicemail. If you've signed up for Google Voice, then you have a Google Voice number, whether you're using it (or giving it out to others) or not.

It used to be you could select Google Voice as the voicemail provider in the Google Phone app. Then, several years ago when the Voice app v5 came out, I found we had to use a workaround to still be able to select Google Voice as the voicemail provider. At the time, you had to install the old Voice app v4.7, which you could then set up (sign into) and then select Voice as your voicemail provider, then you could upgrade the Voice app. As long as you never manually selected anything differently, the Phone app would visually show that nothing was your voicemail provider, but Voice would remain it.

Eventually, I found that I could no longer sign into the v4.7 Voice app on fresh setups and new devices, so it became impossible to set Voice as the voicemail app at all.

I know people still leave me voicemails successfully without this workaround, but I've given my Google Voice phone number out as my preferred number for the 11-12 years I've used Google Voice.

I'm always surprised Google doesn't kill Voice. I think they're waiting until everyone gets completely comfortable that they're not going to get rid of it, and then hit us when we least suspect. 😜
I thought it was dead years ago when I couldn't get it working, but reviews show some people are having success with it.

From what I gather, I got to get a Google number. Set up a voicemail. Dial *72 (or something) with the new Google voice number to have calls forward from my cell phone to the Google number for it to go to G voice voicemail.

Technically this is a lot of work just to get a transcript of what's being said but that's the thing I miss the most

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
I thought it was dead years ago when I couldn't get it working, but reviews show some people are having success with it.

From what I gather, I got to get a Google number.
I'm a little confused. If you already have signed up for Google Voice, then you have a Google Voice phone number. On a computer or in Chrome on the phone, when you visit https://voice.google.com/, do you see your Google Voice phone number on the right? I've circled it in red near the top right where mine is displayed.

If you have the Google Voice website's window too small it won't show the right-hand side information, at least by default. You can also click the Gear icon at the top right above where your Google Voice phone number is displayed to set up Voicemail options. I used to use a personalized voicemail message, but now I use a default that Google provides since I have so many SPAM calls and I don't want it to give my name to them - although the Phone app automatically handles most SPAM for me, I'm including phone calls that I just don't want and lumping them in with calling them SPAM too.
1657032114159.png

Set up a voicemail. Dial *72 (or something) with the new Google voice number to have calls forward from my cell phone to the Google number for it to go to G voice voicemail.
I don't remember about this part. I might have, but since I don't experiment with flashing ROMs, or factory reset for any other reason, I just don't have to set mine up often enough to remember. I know it tells you what you need to do, but you could achieve the same thing if you're already signed up for Google Voice by wiping the Voice app's data and cache, launching it, and setting it up from scratch.

Technically this is a lot of work just to get a transcript of what's being said but that's the thing I miss the most
It's always been well worth it for me. I can't tell you the last time I've actually listened to a voicemail - except for some unwanted calls, just verifying the voicemail was blank since there was no transcription. I also have Google Voice email me the transcription as well.

I'm sure that Google's improved their transcription ability, too, as it used to be that I only had one or two particular family members who spoke more slowly, whose voicemails would be transcribed more accurately, but now even some others who didn't use to be, are more accurate now.

I mostly use Google Voice to be able to text from my computer. I know I can set Google Messages up to be able to text from my computer or use Microsoft's Your Phone, or whatever they're calling it now, to do the same I think, but I just prefer using Google Voice since I don't have to do any special setup in Windows for it or have any additional software running.

Reactions: Hand76

Hand76

Jul 1, 2010
Long Island N.Y.
I'm a little confused. If you already have signed up for Google Voice, then you have a Google Voice phone number. On a computer or in Chrome on the phone, when you visit https://voice.google.com/, do you see your Google Voice phone number on the right? I've circled it in red near the top right where mine is displayed.

If you have the Google Voice website's window too small it won't show the right-hand side information, at least by default. You can also click the Gear icon at the top right above where your Google Voice phone number is displayed to set up Voicemail options. I used to use a personalized voicemail message, but now I use a default that Google provides since I have so many SPAM calls and I don't want it to give my name to them - although the Phone app automatically handles most SPAM for me, I'm including phone calls that I just don't want and lumping them in with calling them SPAM too.

I don't remember about this part. I might have, but since I don't experiment with flashing ROMs, or factory reset for any other reason, I just don't have to set mine up often enough to remember. I know it tells you what you need to do, but you could achieve the same thing if you're already signed up for Google Voice by wiping the Voice app's data and cache, launching it, and setting it up from scratch.

It's always been well worth it for me. I can't tell you the last time I've actually listened to a voicemail - except for some unwanted calls, just verifying the voicemail was blank since there was no transcription. I also have Google Voice email me the transcription as well.

I'm sure that Google's improved their transcription ability, too, as it used to be that I only had one or two particular family members who spoke more slowly, whose voicemails would be transcribed more accurately, but now even some others who didn't use to be, are more accurate now.

I mostly use Google Voice to be able to text from my computer. I know I can set Google Messages up to be able to text from my computer or use Microsoft's Your Phone, or whatever they're calling it now, to do the same I think, but I just prefer using Google Voice since I don't have to do any special setup in Windows for it or have any additional software running.
Nope no number. It gives me the option to request one. No problem. I just didn't need to do that in the past for this to work.

I see Verizon also offers visual voicemail. I can turn that on in phone settings but I can't find a Verizon Visual Voicemail app.

I don't know where the transcripts would be stored. I hope it's not on that stupid My Verizon app

Hand76

Jul 1, 2010
Long Island N.Y.
The only number it shows linked to my Google voice account is my cell number. But that by itself does nothing. I wish after 3-4 rings In could just have Google voice take over. But that's not happening. Like you I used TB in the past to backup and restore so I don't remember what the proper procedure was either but I'm pretty sure it's changed

roirraW "edor" ehT

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nope no number. It gives me the option to request one. No problem. I just didn't need to do that in the past for this to work.
I see, thanks. I guess it's also been too long for me to remember that you could get Google Voice without a GV phone number. :)

I see Verizon also offers visual voicemail. I can turn that on in phone settings but I can't find a Verizon Visual Voicemail app.

I don't know where the transcripts would be stored. I hope it's not on that stupid My Verizon app
^ I was just about to suggest the My Verizon app, but it also has been 5-6 years since I've used Verizon and I never used their Visual Voicemail. I have no idea if this Verizon Visual Voicemail FAQ is up to date. They say just use the app without telling where you get it from, so they assume it's already on the phone I guess:

How do I use Visual Voicemail on Android?​

To use Visual Voicemail on your Android phone, open the Visual Voicemail app to view a list of your voicemails. You can play, delete and manage them in any order. If you would like to be able to read a transcription of each message on Android, subscribe to Premium Visual Voicemail.
Maybe this Verizon page will help since it has a "Get it now" button. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. I like keeping away from carrier-specific solutions, although in your case, if phone calls to your real cell number don't go to Google Voice voicemail even after you get a GV # and do any optional setup, then I suppose it will be easiest on everyone to use Verizon's solution unless you find it just doesn't work that well. I know others have sworn by it, from what I read over the years on XDA, but I swore by my 2008 Verizon flip phone's GPS service, which worked great for my purposes at the time.

The only number it shows linked to my Google voice account is my cell number. But that by itself does nothing. I wish after 3-4 rings In could just have Google voice take over. But that's not happening. Like you I used TB in the past to backup and restore so I don't remember what the proper procedure was either but I'm pretty sure it's changed
Hopefully, I'm wrong and after you further setup GV the calls to your regular # go to GV voicemail, although it won't surprise me if that's not the case. So much changes with Google constantly, it's impossible to stay on top of every change that affects us - I deal with that at my work where we use Google for everything, and our small department deals with them much more than the average person at the company.

Reactions: Hand76

Hand76

Jul 1, 2010
Long Island N.Y.
Well I think I'm up and running. Requested a Google voice number. Dialed *71 with the new number (for Verizon)

Google Voice picking up voicemails ever since.

Thanks Roirraw

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

This used to work well on past devices but um not so much anymore lol.

All I'm looking to do is have Google Voice pick up my voicemails. I'm on Verizon and the part I'm not fully understanding is do I need a Google phone number to complete this action?

This used to work with just my basic cell phone number.

Any help would be appreciated

From what I gather, I got to get a Google number. Set up a voicemail. Dial *72 (or something) with the new Google voice number to have calls forward from my cell phone to the Google number for it to go to G voice voicemail.

From what I gather, I got to get a Google number.

Set up a voicemail. Dial *72 (or something) with the new Google voice number to have calls forward from my cell phone to the Google number for it to go to G voice voicemail.