Help with root

SiParle

Feb 18, 2013
Every time i try and flash Super su or magisk it fails, TWRP is unable to mount anything and when i try to reboot TWRP says no os installed. I then have to flash stock recovery to get the phone to boot normally, I have rooted phones in the past but i just dont get why this is happening. Can anyone shead any light on this please

Phone and FRP unlocked
P8 lite 2017 8.0.0.383(C432)
Android (stock) and EMUI version 8
TWRP 3.2.1.0

Last edited:

XDA XILFY

May 7, 2016
I don't think the normal root method works anymore on genuine EMUI 8. I believe that we need to flash Askuccio's TWRP (hard to find without knowing it exists already), and then a custom treble rom (of which there are many), and then flash magisk over it. Not too difficult, but personally I've been having troubles with actually booting into custom ROMs.

ashboe

Feb 6, 2012
Thank you - I missed the ramdisk command

---------- Post added at 12:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

Dru79 - now that I have TWRP - and many thanks for that, would you guide me quickly through the next steps for a custom ROM (I have read all sorts of posts that say you have to flash stock then a ROM then do all sorts - things have REALLY changed since I did this last!). I am on And 8 and emui 8 and want (ideally) as close to asop as poss with the ability for adoptive storage a must. Just unsure exactly how to progress, ie is it super SU (which most now seem to say no) or magisk etc....I really would appreciate a simple guide.

Thanks