• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Help with rooting my phone

Search This thread

Ame76

Jul 28, 2021
Hey everyone, I'm trying to root my Xiaomi Mi a2 lite without twrp since, if i understand correctly, it needs the data partition to be formatted as it cant decrypt it, and I don't really need it anyway. I wanted to use Magisk manager to patch a boot image and flash it to get root, but the app explicitly asks for .img files. I've been looking everywhere and I can only find zip archives or .tgz files of my firmware. I'd appreciate any help, and btw my build number is 11.0.21.0

VD171

Jun 21, 2012
LG K10
Samsung Galaxy J7
Hey everyone, I'm trying to root my Xiaomi Mi a2 lite without twrp since, if i understand correctly, it needs the data partition to be formatted as it cant decrypt it, and I don't really need it anyway. I wanted to use Magisk manager to patch a boot image and flash it to get root, but the app explicitly asks for .img files. I've been looking everywhere and I can only find zip archives or .tgz files of my firmware. I'd appreciate any help, and btw my build number is 11.0.21.0
A TGZ file is a TAR Archive file that has been compressed using Gnu Zip (gzip).
You can uncompress tgz files using 7-zip:

Reactions: Ame76

VD171

Jun 21, 2012
LG K10
Samsung Galaxy J7
Obviously, first you need unlocked bootloader, or your device will get bricked.

1. Download the full stock rom.
2. Extract these two files: boot.img and vbmeta.img.
3. COMPRESS those two files to TAR. (Attention: TAR and NOT tgz.)
4. Open the magisk app and click on "install to file".
5. Select the COMPRESSED TAR file and wait until it finish.
6. Open the folder "Downloads" and uncompress the file magisk_patched.tar to get the patched boot.img and the patched vbmeta.img.
7. Flash the patched boot.img and the patched vbmeta.img. (You need to flash patched vbmeta because vbmeta verifies if any partition was changed.)
Done, you are rooted.

Warning: magisk app will ignore if you try to patch ONLY the vbmeta.img, you need to patch vbmeta.img together boot.img compressed in only one file.

You can use 7-Zip: https://7-zip.org

Reactions: Ame76

Ame76

Jul 28, 2021

6. Open the folder "Downloads" and uncompress the file magisk_patched.tar to get the patched boot.img and the patched vbmeta.img.
7. Flash the patched boot.img and the patched vbmeta.img. (You need to flash patched vbmeta because vbmeta verifies if any partition was changed.)
Done, you are rooted.

Warning: magisk app will ignore if you try to patch ONLY the vbmeta.img, you need to patch vbmeta.img together boot.img compressed in only one file.

thanks dude, you're really helping me out with this

Ame76

Jul 28, 2021

Done, you are rooted.

Hey i seem to be having a problem, i extracted the .tar file and i can see the boot.img file but i can't find the vbmeta.img one

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    A TGZ file is a TAR Archive file that has been compressed using Gnu Zip (gzip).
    You can uncompress tgz files using 7-zip:

Done, you are rooted.