Search This thread

a.cid

RC / Retired Mod / Portal Team
Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
Help Your Threads Get More Search Hits with
Better Titles and Thread Tags!

(and improve XDA search functionality for free!)

Nobody likes being told "Why didn't you search before posting?" only to have to explain that they did in fact search
but couldn't find anything relevant. I am not going to say search on XDA is the greatest thing ever but it is not nearly
as bad as some posters here think. It could get a lot better over time if everyone did a couple of simple things that are free.

The first thing is to use good thread titles.
Using good thread titles is a last attempt at searching before you post a new thread. Thread titles such as "[Q]" or "Need Help!"
will actually keep people from opening your thread! This shows members that you didn't search for an answer to your problem.
Members here will assume that you have put the same amount of work into your title as you have put into documenting and
solving your problem and they will simply move on to the next thread.

Here are 3 Thread Title suggestions that can help get you better results and solutions.

1. Make it Descriptive!!
When you type in a thread title and then click in the post section, a search shows you threads with similar titles to what you
just typed in. How many threads do you think there are with titles like "[Q]" or "Need Help!" ? :( Type in a good title and see
what threads are suggested. Type slightly different thread titles and check the searched thread results. The best result here
is to not have to open a new thread at all, but if you do not find a thread which is similar to your problem or recent enough
that you can post in it and get a good answer, then please use a good title for your thread.

2. Include [TAGS] so people can identify it more easily. h/t AllGamer for a more complete list
[Q] or [QUESTION] - All Questions
[REQ] - Requests topics for ROM ports, INFO, THEME, MOD, etc.
[GUIDE] or [HOWTO] - How to do instructions or Guides for newbies
[SOLVED] - for issues that have been fixed or [Q] that have been answered

3. Remember that your target audience is worldwide.
XDA members live around the world in every country. English is probably not their first language. I find it best to use
common words if I have a choice of wording, especially if they are using Google Translate.

The second thing we can all do is more use of thread tags.
I have noticed that many threads do not have thread tags so I think most users don't know about them. This only works with
the XDA website, not the XDA app. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page of most threads, you will most likely see this:
picture.php

If you were to click on the Edit Tags button, you would find that you could add 5 tags as an OP or Original Poster of the thread.
Threads can have up to 25 tags of 50 characters each, but most threads have none at all, so they don't get
indexed optimally by the search engine.
picture.php

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The admins have changed the tagging policy so that the OP can add 5 tags, or RC's can add 2 tags.
Mods can of course edit/add any tags as needed. I am asking all RC's to please join in this effort and add tags for anyone that requests it.

Tags should be keywords or phrases that people search for. If those keywords or phrases are linked to your threads then
your threads will be higher in the listed search results. This is really important for guide threads.

picture.php

This is a little better, but since it is a new user guide there are more tags that could be added there, such as "new user guide",
"where to get started", "starting on xda", "how to get 10 posts".

When people search for those terms, I want them to find that guide, so I need to get those phrases added as thread tags.
If there is a guide in your forums that new users need to find, please some tags to it to help the new people find them,
such as "new user guide for sgs3", "how to flash firmware on a sensation", "all onex users start here", "root guide for droid2".

When users search for those terms we want them to find the guides instead of opening new threads. Good thread tags will help do this.
You can add tags to any thread. Please add good ones.

Anyone that would like additional thread tags added can post requests in their threads with any requested tag terms,
members here can easily help with that, or ask one of the Recognized Contributors and they can help you out with that.

Thank you for helping with this effort. Every time you do these things the search index will be updated and improve the results
for everyone on XDA. This is a valuable contribution to the community every time you do it..

Last edited:

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
All current requests for tags will be added here, so if you see a request listed here, please take a minute and go to the linked thread and add as many of the requested tags as you can. Thanks!! Check the guides in your favorite device forum and add some good tags there too!

Example of a request that you can make here:
Hey fellow Xda'ians,
I could use some tags on my thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1606380

Its a comprehensive guide on rooting and different ways to do stuff on Samsung Galaxy Fit aka Beni...so I could use some general-android related tags...
There's also some specific stuff in it, so have a look at the index that is present in the beginning, and please help me by adding suitable tags...

Tags related (but not limited to): Root with Superoneclick/update.zip, Custom recovery, Custom rom, Beni, GT-S5670, CWM, Amon-ra, Overclock, Swollen Battery, Bricked, Motherboard dead, Rom Manager, Titanium Backup

And a heads up, the thread is pretty long, so use the side bar to scroll...unless you wish some finger exercise ;)

Thanks a lot friends!

I also promise to stay around this thread, and offer my help when other need it!

Thanks again!​
This us just an example, you can make similar posts in this thread, and tags shall be added by me or other fellow Rc's.
Also, do give us suitable examples of tags that could be added to the thread.

Requests (in order of date of request):
*[HOW TO]Make The Most Of The XDA App - by KidCarter93

Requested tags: how to, guide, xda app, new user

*[GUIDE/HOW-TO] Beginner's "Getting Started" Guide :: Root, Recovery, Roms etc - by a.cid

Requested tag: Root with Superoneclick/update.zip, Custom recovery, Custom rom, CWM, Amon-ra, Overclock, Swollen Battery, Bricked, Motherboard dead, Rom Manager, Titanium Backup

Last edited:

ppero196

Apr 14, 2012
Up north!
"Help Your Threads Get More Search Hits with Better Titles and Tags!" (and improve the search functionality for free!)

Nobody likes being told "Why didn't you search before posting?" only to have to explain that they did in fact search
but couldn't find anything relevant. I am not going to say search on XDA is the greatest thing ever but it is not nearly
as bad as some posters here think. It could get a lot better over time if everyone did a couple of simple things that are free.

The first is to use good thread titles.
Using good thread titles is a last attempt at searching before you post a new thread. Thread titles such as "[Q]" or "Need Help!"
will actually keep people from opening your thread! This shows members that you didn't search for an answer to your problem.
Members here will assume that you have put the same amount of work into your title as you have put into documenting and

Here are 3 Thread Title suggestions that can help get you better results and solutions.

1. Make it Descriptive!!
When you type in a thread title and then click in the post section, a search shows you threads with similar titles to what you
just typed in. How many threads do you think there are with titles like "[Q]" or "Need Help!" ? :( Type in a good title and see
what threads are suggested. Type slightly different thread titles and check the searched thread results. The best result here
is to not have to open a new thread at all, but if you do not find a thread which is similar to your problem or recent enough
that you can post in it and get a good answer, then please use a good title for your thread.

2. Include [TAGS] so people can identify it more easily. h/t AllGamer for a more complete list

XDA members live around the world in every country. English is probably not their first language. I find it best to use
common words if I have a choice of wording, especially if they are using Google Translate.

I have noticed that many threads do not have thread tags so I think most users don't know about them. This only works with
the XDA website, not the XDA app. If you scroll down to the bottom of the page of most threads, you will most likely see this:
picture.php

If you were to click on the Edit Tags button, you would find that you could add 5 tags as an OP or Original Poster of the thread,
or 2 tags otherwise. Threads can have up to 25 tags of 50 characters each, but most threads have none at all, so they don't get
picture.php

Tags should be keywords or phrases that people search for. If those keywords or phrases are linked to your threads then
your threads will be higher in the listed search results. This is really important for guide threads.

picture.php

This is a little better, but since it is a new user guide there are more tags that could be added there, such as "new user guide",

When people search for those terms, I want them to find that guide, so I need to get those phrases added as thread tags.

Anyone that would like additional thread tags added can post requests in their threads with any requested tag terms,
members here can easily help with that, or ask one of the Recognized Contributors and they can help you out with that.

Thank you for helping with this effort. Every time you do these things the search index will be updated and improve the results
for everyone on XDA. This is a valuable contribution to the community every time you do it.

Oh so idea is on!
Mind checking threads in my sig?

Sent from my MB525 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: jamshed21

.xxx.

Oct 8, 2011
Mumbai
Wow.. just love the thread is written. Even the threads in my sig have not been tagged properly :) mf212 you should make a post reserved where guides and other linka can be updated so that users can tag them easily..

Sent from Hell!!

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
If you could list out the links with any thread tags you would like added then I and hopefully others :fingers-crossed: can get them added. MikeChannon was kind enough to slip a post 2 in there for me so I will put current requests there.
If you have any preferred tags it is best to state them so that they get added that way, otherwise no guarantees on what members add there.

a.cid

Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
Hey fellow Xda'ians,
I could use some tags on my thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1606380

Its a comprehensive guide on rooting and different ways to do stuff on Samsung Galaxy Fit aka Beni...so I could use some general-android related tags...
There's also some specific stuff in it, so have a look at the index that is present in the beginning, and please help me by adding suitable tags...

Tags related (but not limited to): Root with Superoneclick/update.zip, Custom recovery, Custom rom, Beni, GT-S5670, CWM, Amon-ra, Overclock, Swollen Battery, Bricked, Motherboard dead, Rom Manager, Titanium Backup

And a heads up, the thread is pretty long, so use the side bar to scroll...unless you wish some finger exercise ;)

Thanks a lot friends!

I also promise to stay around this thread, and offer my help when other need it!

Thanks again!

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
I have never heard of that being a limitation before, maybe one of the mods or admins will chime in here but I would be very surprised if that was changed. Nothing was said to RC's about it. I would bet it is an issue with the browser or NoScript or something. You tried Chrome and Firefox?

roofrider

Jul 24, 2011
Bangalore, IN
This is something new, I have edited them in the past..in fact i've added and removed a 'mtm iz noob' tag on this thread sometime back..maybe i'm being trolled? jk.
I'm using chrome and on the beta theme..it's the same even in 2010 theme, no option to edit them.
No difference on IE either.

Stop the lurking u mods! Post!

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
I removed one of mine, try it again please. This is very strange. I really think you should be able to do this as a normal function without restrictions. You can't edit the tags on a closed thread, but any open thread should work unless it has 25 tags already.

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
I'm experiencing the same as roofrider.
The only threads I can edit tags on, are my own threads.
Even a thread which I've previously added a tag to I now can't.
Maybe the systems being changed so only the OP can edit tags? I doubt it, but it's a possibility.

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
I am sure it isn't like that on purpose. I was talking to MikeChannon and svetius just a couple of days ago about the thread tags and this thread promoting more usage of them and they thought it could really help if people participated with good tags so I am sure they would have mentioned a major change like that if it was just a couple of days away.

mikef

Retired Senior Moderator
I can prove it works well. One of the original tags I added was "How to use thread tags". When you search the forum or the "search all forums" link which uses Google for that phrase, it brings up this thread as the top result. :victory::laugh::cool:

also works for "search doesn't work". :victory: The thread that was the top result for "search before posting" was one of mine for another thread and I changed just now, so I will try to see how long it takes to update the search index.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Help Your Threads Get More Search Hits with
    Better Titles and Thread Tags!

(and improve XDA search functionality for free!)

The first thing is to use good thread titles.

1. Make it Descriptive!!

picture.php

If you were to click on the Edit Tags button, you would find that you could add 5 tags as an OP or Original Poster of the thread.
    Threads can have up to 25 tags of 50 characters each, but most threads have none at all, so they don't get
    picture.php

IMPORTANT UPDATE: The admins have changed the tagging policy so that the OP can add 5 tags, or RC's can add 2 tags.
    Mods can of course edit/add any tags as needed. I am asking all RC's to please join in this effort and add tags for anyone that requests it.

picture.php

If there is a guide in your forums that new users need to find, please some tags to it to help the new people find them,
    such as "new user guide for sgs3", "how to flash firmware on a sensation", "all onex users start here", "root guide for droid2".

When users search for those terms we want them to find the guides instead of opening new threads. Good thread tags will help do this.
    You can add tags to any thread. Please add good ones.

for everyone on XDA. This is a valuable contribution to the community every time you do it..
    All current requests for tags will be added here, so if you see a request listed here, please take a minute and go to the linked thread and add as many of the requested tags as you can. Thanks!! Check the guides in your favorite device forum and add some good tags there too!

Example of a request that you can make here:
    Hey fellow Xda'ians,

Thanks a lot friends!

Thanks again!​
    This us just an example, you can make similar posts in this thread, and tags shall be added by me or other fellow Rc's.
    Also, do give us suitable examples of tags that could be added to the thread.

Requests (in order of date of request):
    *[HOW TO]Make The Most Of The XDA App - by KidCarter93

Requested tags: how to, guide, xda app, new user

*[GUIDE/HOW-TO] Beginner's "Getting Started" Guide :: Root, Recovery, Roms etc - by a.cid

Requested tag: Root with Superoneclick/update.zip, Custom recovery, Custom rom, CWM, Amon-ra, Overclock, Swollen Battery, Bricked, Motherboard dead, Rom Manager, Titanium Backup
    IMPORTANT UPDATE: I just talked to MikeChannon about this and the admins have changed the tagging policy so that the OP can add 5 tags, or RC's can add 2 tags. Mods can of course edit/add any tags as needed. I am asking all RC's to please join in this effort and add tags for anyone that requests it.
    Might be necessary for RCs to start doing this with guides in their home forums. Over time, it will influence the search results. Also, I think that encouraging people to enter their searched terms as thread tags might help them understand why it is important. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using xda premium
    What happens to the online tag editor (over a month)? The situation is catastrophic (regardless of the forum skins and device used by me-i900 omnia, omnia w, htc mozart, htc titan (eternity, ultimate)). Only search tags and 5 tags for author new thread running smoothly. Next, it looks like the screenshots-you can not create, append, edit ... I greet!

Sorry but I couldn't properly comprehend what you're trying to say...

As mentioned in the OP, only RC's and FSM+ can now add tags to Non-OP threads, whereas all members can add upto 5 tags on their own threads (I.e. OP threads)...

"All I ever wanted, was to see everyone smile"