Here is how to unlock the bootloader !!!

Search This thread

unh1nged

Mar 14, 2010
Welland
LG G5
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I want to report how easy it is to crack the screen on the MediaPad M5 (CMR-W09) while attempting to get to the testpoint. I was using a thin metal cutter to get a foothold, as the plastic guitar picks were not making a dent. I'm now looking forward to using PotatoNV when I get a $14 replacement screen I just ordered from Aliexpress (takes ~2 months to arrive from China to Costa Rica). For the time being, I will continue to use the tablet with a cracked screen and locked bootloader :(

View attachment 5176855
Start in one of the corners next time bro. Starting in the middle is asking for trouble, because the corner - being rounded - has points of relief because of the smaller 90 degree radius, whereas a long straight area when its lifted, stresses along the edge in 180 degrees of direction. And if you use too much pressure, its not only more likely to develop a stress fracture, but then the cracks also have a wide open space to run. (Just take a piece of paper and lay it flat, and see how much of it moves when you lift it at the middle vs the corner.) And when you're putting force on the corner to get a clip to release - you're focused in one small area, as opposed to the middle which again flexes putting more stress on the whole structure, but ironically less than on the one clip you're trying to get to pop. And then you're also concentrating that energy on only one or two clips in a corner, whereas you're working against several along the edge, with each one giving a little and spreading out that energy.. Ultimately, you can get away with anything if you're extremely slow and methodical and go thin edge of the wedge, but why not lessen the surface area potential for cracking while concentrating the force? Should at least extremely minimize the risk, and make the reward that much more NOT a cracking and splintered shards of tech hell that makes you cry while you look through blurry eyes hoping that when the tears blink away it's not as bad as you thought, followed quickly by the confirmation of the horror as you relive the sequence and stomach churning sound that will haunt your dreams for weeks, or however long it takes to replace the shattered remains.

I feel for you man, honestly. I've been there. Within an hour of getting my Note Edge, I had it on my truck seat, and without a case the glass was so smooth that I forgot it was there and as I slid off the seat to get out, didn't even feel a hint of it until a light tap on my inner thigh causing me to freeze from motion. Immediately watching with horror as it fell and landed flat on its screen, and then slowly picking it up and turning it around hoping that by some mirac-DAMNMOTHERF..anyways - spider webbed across the whole surface from a single point that came from a tiny rock which I promptly kicked across the parking lot. I can laugh about it now, sure. But the sick feeling in my stomach remains each time I recall it.

Last edited:
Reactions: zentico

personic

Dec 31, 2015
Has anyone had the issue that after connecting the phone with the test-point on, it shows in the Device Manager as QHSUSB_BULK (Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008) instead of USB_SER (HUAWEI USB COM 1.0), please?

I tried this several times with Huawei Y6 Prime (2018) ATU-L31 (EMUI 8.0.0.155):

1) When the test-point was not shortcut, it showed up in the Device Manager as an Android device after connecting the USB, so normal behavior and battery charging animation started.

2) When I succeeded in shortcutting the test-point, after connecting the USB no battery animation was shown, but it loaded as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 -- and it's not recognized by the Potato NV.

So I suppose I'm doing the test-point procedure right, but why I just can't get it as HUAWEI USB COM 1.0 and be recognized by Potato NV. Any clues, please?

Last edited:

oslo83

Has anyone had the issue that after connecting the phone with the test-point on, it shows in the Device Manager as QHSUSB_BULK (Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008) instead of USB_SER (HUAWEI USB COM 1.0), please?

I tried this several times with Huawei Y6 Prime (2018) ATU-L31 (EMUI 8.0.0.155):

1) When the test-point was not shortcut, it showed up in the Device Manager as an Android device after connecting the USB, so normal behavior and battery charging animation started.

2) When I succeeded in shortcutting the test-point, after connecting the USB no battery animation was shown, but it loaded as Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 -- and it's not recognized by the Potato NV.

So I suppose I'm doing the test-point procedure right, but why I just can't get it as HUAWEI USB COM 1.0 and be recognized by Potato NV. Any clues, please?
OP'S tool support only some kirins CPU, not quallcomm ones as on your device.

Reactions: personic

zentico

Aug 21, 2014
Hi zentico,
Could you share the online shop where you bought the LCD screen and the reference. Let us know as well how happy you are with the seller and when you get the part how it fit you tablet.
Stay tuned!
Many thanks

MrNice, this is the supplier I bought my replacement M5 LCD from:

It was very carefully packaged and included the double sided tapes. Would definitively recommend.

Attachments

• IMG_20210306_152610.jpg
    IMG_20210306_152610.jpg
    721.4 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: unh1nged and MrNice

mordondro2

Apr 27, 2021
hey!

Just so i get this right:
i want to root my tablet to intall magisk.

Do i need to first unlock the bootloader including short wiring the the testpoint and then follow the root procedure specified on page 2?

When i try just rooting without unlocking the bootloader i get ""writing 'recovery'... FAILED" when trying to flash the image.

unh1nged

Mar 14, 2010
Welland
LG G5
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
hey!

Just so i get this right:
i want to root my tablet to intall magisk.

Do i need to first unlock the bootloader including short wiring the the testpoint and then follow the root procedure specified on page 2?

When i try just rooting without unlocking the bootloader i get ""writing 'recovery'... FAILED" when trying to flash the image.
That's correct. Without unlocking the bootloader, you can't alter the way it loads the boot process, which needs to be loaded differently, ie with permissions and other fun things, in order to gain root access, which is in effect THE permission to do whatever the heck you want.

Disclaimer: Whatever the heck you want - with the TABLET. No, you still can't fly that unmanned fighter jet, drive with that hot girl while undoing her bra clasp with one hand and high fiving your imaginary super hero alter ego with the other while cops form a guard rail on either side of the highway cheering and firing off road flares in your honor, so stop whatever it is related or unrelated to those examples, that you have been planning in the milli seconds since you read that "do whatever the heck you want" part.
Further Disclaimer: "With the TABLET", does NOT imply that you just need to have the tablet on your person and that somehow is the catalyst for being able to do the aforementioned things, or anything else since you realized the English language is very easy to manipulate in such ways, because... and here's the sobering part: That easy manipulation is directly responsible for any and all lame dad joke's based on PUNs. That's right. Bet you didn't consider the damage that such knowledge can cause. Now go forth and root res-pun-sibly.
DAMMIT See? Now I hate myself... more.

Arnab1836

Dec 24, 2017
Hello guys,
Great development in huawei bootloader unlocking... Desperately looking forward to attempt PotatoNV to unlock mine: Mediapad T3 7 BG2-U01C209B003. However, can not find the particular firmware for this version, neither can I find the testpoint image for the device. Tried websearch, XDA threads and the app 'TP_Pinout_Selector_v1.2.0' but of no use. Can anyone help shed some light on this?
Thanks.

abyshek

Oct 14, 2015
Hey Guys, I tested this on my Huawei Mediapad T5 AGS2 L03 and it worked like a charm. Only challenge is to open the cover of the device. After that its easy to short the testpoint and the metallic cover. Thanks to everyone who developed this tool and method. You all are life savers... Kudos

I unlocked my tablet thanks to this guide. It was not too difficult to open it. I was using opening tools from old phone battery replacement kit. Now I have rooted tablet with debloated EMUI. I have also flashed TWRP, just in the case. Very happy with performances so far.

rbadwe

Jul 29, 2020
Huawei MediaPad T5
Realme GT
It worked for me the first time. But then when I loaded the newest version via Huawei recovery, I lost root and bootloader got locked again.
When I tried the whole process a second time, it didn't work anymore.
Now I get:
PHONE Locked
FRP Unlock
on Fastboot & RESCUE MODE
Did anyone find a way to get root back from here?
exact same happened with me . was on LOS16 . Now now matter how many times I short I get the charging screen . Did you find any solution ?

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Redmi K20 / Xiaomi Mi 9T
Xiaomi Mi 11
without code Theres no way to get root ? I also cant get potatoNV to recognize the driver . it directly goes to charging animation
For rooting (installing TWRP or custom ROMs, rebranding), you need to be able to flash. For flashing you need the unlocked Bootloader.
For unlocked Bootloader you need to have/buy the code or do it yourself with PotatoNV

That's it. How you will do, sorry, cannot help you, I got rid of Huawei phones

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
Yes, it is easy.
1 - Turn off the tablet.
2 - Take a conductive wire, copper, alluminum or any other. If you use some wire that is rigid is easier to do it with one hand.
3 - Touch the test point with one end of the wire & the other end touch the electrical ground (Any part of the motherboard, or connector, that is in contact with negative circuit (Ground)).
I used the external part of the usb connector, in my first test I touched the metal shield just together the test point but did not work.
4 - Connect usb cable to computer and tablet, if you need more hands make the computer-tablet usb connection before ;)
5 - Now turn on the tablet, pushing the power button, while keeping the cable connected at both ends.
6 - The tablet will boot with black screen, as if it was off. If you have something on the screen you did it wrongly.
7 - Keep the cable connection for some seconds & you can remove it.
8 - Start PotatoNV.

I'm having some problems getting the booloader unlocked following these steps. Hope someone could help me :)

- I took apart the the screen with some plastic tools and without damage.
- I installed the latest version of Patato, which looks a lot diffrent then in the provided screenshots now (which bootloader should I choose for the Mediapad T5?).

Potato.jpg

- I installed the Huawei Hisuite package. Since I've read this was containing all the necesary drivers too.
(USB-debugging is turned on, and while turned on the tab is recognised by HiSuite).

But then it gets a bit confusing, since the steps above and the ones in the OP change a bit. I think I've tried both ways.

* I took a wire and grounded the test-point. Then I connected the powercable. And removed the wire from the testpoint after a few secconds. The screen stayed black. But there was no device showing up in the dropdown menu of potato.

* I grounded the test-point, connected the powercable and tried to power-on the tablet while stil holding the wire between ground and the test-point. The screen stays black but nothing happends.
When I look at the dropdown menu in potato, there's still no device to be found.

Guess I'm missing something here...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit:

Got it to work. Fianlly managed to unlock the bootloader. Seemed I've downloaded other drivers instead of using HiSense installation on another laptop and then my mediapad was recognized in PotatoNV.

- Turned out I also needed to select "disable FBLOCK", which was unselected from scratch.
- As bootloader you need to choose "Kirin 65x (A)" now.

Now looking for a way to root it.

Last edited:

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
Yes, with this method you can unlock bootloader. After that you can install Magisk following the instructions bellow (at the bottom of the page there are specific instructions for Huawei):
https://topjohnwu.github.io/Magisk/install.html
With this you can have a rooted tablet with stock EMUI rom.
Thanks!
I've finally managed to unlock the bootoader of my Mediapad T5. And I took a look at the page you've mentioned.
But now it says that Huawei devices are not supported annymore.

I can't even find my my EMUI build.

MrNice

Jan 2, 2021
Countryside
I've managed to unlock the bootloader. But still looking for a way to root it.

First i wanted to root and keep the stock ROM. But reconsiderating this now. I really hate the resolution of this EMUI ROM. So maybe I should try some custom ROM on it.
Thanks for your answer.
Did you use PotatoNV under windows or Linux?
I run Linux Opensuse and the Python version is not working properly. Any help?
Let me know what custom ROM you will try.

Rockel

Nov 4, 2013
Tilburg
Huawei MediaPad T5
Moto G8 Plus
Thanks for your answer.
Did you use PotatoNV under windows or Linux?
I run Linux Opensuse and the Python version is not working properly. Any help?
Let me know what custom ROM you will try.
I ran PotatoNV under Windows. Don't have much experience with Linux myself. So can't help you with that.

But is it maybe an idea to make a dualboot setup? Or run a light Windows version from a USB stick/ drive?
I will keep you informed about the ROM :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First, my big thanks to Andrew Smirnov who created the PotatoNV software.

815595bc7206da16592a09b7003776ceo.jpg

You need to download the PotatoNV:
    https://github.com/mashed-potatoes/PotatoNV/releases

You need to remove back cover to short testpoint to ground, as I'm not good at electronics I used a copper wire to short the testpoint to the USB connector ground but there are many more places to connect

00d70eab81077421142f4ee04eddafe1o.jpg

This instructions on how to run PotatoNV are a copy paste from a web page, I'm sorry but I don't remember what web site is:

1 Install ADB and HUAWEI USB COM drivers

2 Remove the cover from the device

3 Find where testpoint is located.

4 Turn off the device and unplug the USB cable

5 Short testpoint and iron shield on the motherboard

6 Connect device to the computer, after a couple of seconds jumper can be removed

Make sure there’s nothing on the device’s screen, if a charging animation appears go to step 4

7 Launch PotatoNV and select HUAWEI USB COM 1.0 in the device list

8 Select bootloader

Fields SN and BOARDID are optional, just leave them blank

Unlock code - this is the future bootloader code, you can change it to any string, the code must contain 16 characters

Press the Start button, if everything goes well, the phone will reboot and show following text: Your device has been unlocked.

And for root you will need to mess with Magisk Manager :)

Now we need to know what bloatware we can delete without killing the device :good:

-----

I add this just for people who search on xda-developers to unlock the bootloader of other devices supported by PotatoNV
    Kirin 659 - Kirin 960

Tested devices:
    Honor 7X BND
    Honor 8 Pro / V9 DUK
    Honor 9 Lite LLD
    Honor 9 STF
    Huawei Mate 9 MHA
    Huawei Mate 9 Pro LON
    Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite BAH2
    Huawei MediaPad T5 AGS2
    Huawei Nova 2 PIC
    Huawei Nova 2i / Mate 10 Lite RNE
    Huawei Nova 2s HWI
    Huawei P Smart 2018 FIG
    Huawei P10 VTR
    Huawei P20 Lite / Nova 3e ANE
    Huawei P8 Lite (2017) PRA
    Huawei P9 Lite VNS
    Huawei Y9 (2018) FLA

How to use PotatoNV:
    https://github.com/mashed-potatoes/PotatoNV/wiki/How-to-use-PotatoNV
    Hi zentico,
    Could you share the online shop where you bought the LCD screen and the reference. Let us know as well how happy you are with the seller and when you get the part how it fit you tablet.
    Stay tuned!
    Many thanks

MrNice, this is the supplier I bought my replacement M5 LCD from:

It was very carefully packaged and included the double sided tapes. Would definitively recommend.
    Thank you so much!!!!
    It worked perfectly on my AGS2-L03.
    You rule man!
    And a big thanx to Andrew Smirnov too!!!
    Hi Kgonia,
    This is great news and thank you for sharing!!
    Please can you give a few more details on how to short the testpoint on step 5

Many thanks!

Yes, it is easy.
    1 - Turn off the tablet.
    2 - Take a conductive wire, copper, alluminum or any other. If you use some wire that is rigid is easier to do it with one hand.
    3 - Touch the test point with one end of the wire & the other end touch the electrical ground (Any part of the motherboard, or connector, that is in contact with negative circuit (Ground)).
    I used the external part of the usb connector, in my first test I touched the metal shield just together the test point but did not work.
    4 - Connect usb cable to computer and tablet, if you need more hands make the computer-tablet usb connection before ;)
    5 - Now turn on the tablet, pushing the power button, while keeping the cable connected at both ends.
    6 - The tablet will boot with black screen, as if it was off. If you have something on the screen you did it wrongly.
    7 - Keep the cable connection for some seconds & you can remove it.
    8 - Start PotatoNV.
    In my Huawei p8/9 lite 2017 it was required to establish internet connection and after a while oem unlock was active.
    You saved my day, I was looking for that for 1 week.
    Now I'll try to unblock bootloader.
    Many, many thanks