• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Here's how to configure adoptable storage on your S7 / S7 Edge

Search This thread

Riggster

May 16, 2013
Edmond
That might be a blessing. My first question was going to be how much of a performance hit did you take? It would be nice to have the option though.

mixxxk

Nov 23, 2011
the reason why it failed was cuz card is "too slow". using that sandisk 200gb card. i have a samsung 64gb pro + card in my g4, and apparently this also works for that too. tried it and success.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-03-11-06-31-53.png
    Screenshot_2016-03-11-06-31-53.png
    45.6 KB · Views: 3,998
Reactions: ecmperalta

Flyer.michael

Jun 20, 2011
Landshut
At least there is apparently still a safeguard to prevent most of the people crippling their phone with cheap SD cards. I hope that when Samsung adds this officially, it will limit it to at least UHS 1 U3 cards.
The whole phone memory will be only as fast as the SD inside

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk

zombie_uk

Mar 11, 2016
so if you get the 179,0 reading your saying that the SD Card is too slow to use as adaptable storage yeh?

mami

Nov 30, 2008
ORADEA
I would like an answer for this: if I`m opening a file from sdcard (Samsung 32GB class10) and editi it, when I try to save it again, I can only do it on phone storage. Why? My sdcard it`s listed in storage like SD Card(7CD-1711)
Can someone explain, please, and tell me what to do so I will be able to save my files to sd card?
The Modaco method doesn`t work for my SM-G935F S7 Edge
Thanks in advance

NYanakiev1

Feb 22, 2016
I have been using this function with my 128gb Sandisk from day one.
I have moved most large apps to the SD card. In addition, I already have a part of my music collection on there as well. Have not noticed any slowdown whatsoever!

Reactions: angusc

mixxxk

Nov 23, 2011
That's a screenshot of my G4.
And when I did that it showed 179,64. As it was a 64 gb card. I didn't have any real world slowness, but if u run A1 bench tool and see the read/write differences, they definitely exist.

Reactions: johnny8910

Gr8gorilla

Jan 29, 2010
Atlanta, Ga
Today I purchased a 64 GB Samsung Pro+ (Plus) micro sd card. It says it has up to: 95 MB/s read & 90 MB/s write. I benched it at 50/40 today. I manually set the adoptable storage following the procedure outlined in the MoDaco post. I used the info returned by the command that tells you what is available to use as adoptable. It worked, but is also returning a wrong storage total (I believe that the reason for this is because the SD card basically gets filled with a file that can be encrypted, so the total amount of storage that your SD card has gets added to the storage total both as it's actual space and as the file size, this is a guess but seams somewhat plausible). I am getting 73.64 GB used out of 128 GB. I have 32 internal and 64 on the sd but only 59.14. So max is 96 but it says 128 total and a lot used.

jutley

Mar 23, 2006
UK
I just done this looks like it worked with a sandisk 200gb memory card but if i install a app now where will it install?. And also whats the option under storage more and migrate data for? do we need to do that?

ydoucare

Dec 2, 2008
It won't get that fast reads since it is limited to UHS-I so up to 90/MB reads/writes. Internal memory is in the 200 MB/s range so yes, it will be a huge downgrade if you use the adoptable storage.
90MB/s is nice when talking about sequential reads, but most microsd cards are going to be around 10x slower than UFS in small random reads/writes, which is where most of your phones performance is going to come from in terms of storage IO.

jutley

Mar 23, 2006
UK
I think doing this stops downloading certain apps can someone try amazon sholppig or netflix says its not compatable with your device since i done this adoptable storage.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Finally there is a way to make this adaptable storage happen,

Here is the link

Modaco
    PPL have replied that it means it's slower but it made no difference on my phone with a UHS 1 or 2 card, got the same result 179,0 so I don't think that's what it means.

Yeh I did it a while ago now, not had any problems and even did a back to back test with another s7 edge for app launching speed.
    Mine was quicker than his standard one for some apps and the same speed for others.
    These were apps that were showing sd card storage location.
    I'm happy with the performance.
    What about new samsung pushed firmware updates? Will they overide that change and potentially corrupt your SD since by default that feature is not 'supported'?
    Thx
    Phil
    so if you get the 179,0 reading your saying that the SD Card is too slow to use as adaptable storage yeh?
    In the source link the syntax is different. You need to do it the same as YOUR card displays. I've done it with a 200gb card.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
    Just setup my Edge with a 64GB Sammy Pro + card and enabled adoptable storage. Like Gr8gorilla above, mine shows odd numbers for total storage, but does seem to have worked fine. My card was a 179,0.

Have those of you getting the odd storage numbers tried to "migrate data" under the SD Card control panel?

Storage> SD Card> More> Migrate your data