• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General Hey Google: Acknowledge & Fix The Fingerprint Scanner

Search This thread

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
11-9-2021 - RETURNING DEVICE

I’ve given it some time to try screen different screen protectors but the nail in the coffin for me is Googles response to how bad the fingerprint scanner is. I can’t accept that as a answer with no foreseeable fixes or updates.

Tempered glass on and off....I've tried all the tips and tricks floating around from Google and YouTubers. The fingerprint scanner just seems to be bad all together. About 4/5 out of 10 times it recognizes my finger. When it does it's super slow.

A update went out last night that people are saying solved the issue...…It has not.

How have you dealt with or solved the issue at hand?

Last edited:

Jonster111

Oct 17, 2011
So far no problem with my fingerprint scanner.
One thing you could try (if you haven't done that already) is to make multiple scans for the same finger.
I made 2 for my right thumb, 2 for my right index finger and 1 for my left thumb. So far no problems... Hope that it will get better for you soon :)

Reactions: alvarorojas4

v

Dec 29, 2003
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 4a 5G
I've got a screen protector on and it always reads my index finger 100% since day 1.
But initially it read my thumb only 50% of the time, until I figured out that setting up prints initially makes all the difference.
Even before the November OTA fix (which I sideloaded as it was not coming through as OTA), I got it working.
Now its's almost as nice as on my 4a(5G) which is 100% accurate.
Here's a Link to my method.

Last edited:

mitchst2

Nov 9, 2011
HTC One (m7)
HTC 10
Have those using screen protectors switched on this setting?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211028-230205.png
    Screenshot_20211028-230205.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 435

keithy999

Mar 14, 2011
Tempered glass on and off....I've tried all the tips and tricks floating around from Google and YouTubers. The fingerprint scanner just seems to be bad all together. About 4/5 out of 10 times it recognizes my finger. When it does it's super slow.

A update went out last night that people are saying solved the issue...…It has not.

I had the same issues. The update didn't improve things either. I then had to factory reset (for other reasons) and FP reading is now running really well. This is with the 'difficult' spigen glass align master protector. Have yet to test it in daylight though and suspect it won't work quite as well.

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
After reading through everyone's post....didn't want to quote everyone but:

-Registered every angle of my finger whether thumb or index. 2 registered per same finger.
-Turned on Sensitive Touch or whatever it's called for Screen Protectors
-Turned Always on Display on to keep the fingerprint there without double tap
-Removed Screen Protector
-Updated phone

I'm also using ivoler tempered glass.

Don't think I'm missing anything else.

Only thing left to do that I saw someone did was go a Factory Reset.

v

Dec 29, 2003
Google Pixel 3a
Google Pixel 4a 5G
Which screen protector do you have?
TOCOL 6 Stück Schutzfolie...

Reactions: silverkin

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
I believe that people are struggling with the fingerprint reader.

That being said, I have had no issues with my P6. I don't have a screen protector on it. It reads my finger print 90-95% of the time when I press and hold my finger on the scanner until it unlocks (about 1 second). I've never had a in-screen reader, but it is certainly not a "tap the finger" on the reader like some phones are. If you are coming from an ultrasonic reader, you will have to reteach yourself to "touch and hold."

It reads my thumb too just fine. Be sure to watch how your thumb typically hits the sensor (for me it is more of the side of the thumb when I am holding the phone in one hand) and be sure to emphasis that area of the thumb when setting it up - but be sure to scan the entire finger/thumb too.

I've only saved my left thumb and right index finger once each (there are only "two fingerprints added" on my phone right now and everything works very reliably with either finger.

Reactions: leegreg81

Tool Belt

Feb 5, 2011
Google Pixel 6
I believe that people are struggling with the fingerprint reader.

That being said, I have had no issues with my P6. I don't have a screen protector on it. It reads my finger print 90-95% of the time when I press and hold my finger on the scanner until it unlocks (about 1 second). I've never had a in-screen reader, but it is certainly not a "tap the finger" on the reader like some phones are. If you are coming from an ultrasonic reader, you will have to reteach yourself to "touch and hold."

It reads my thumb too just fine. Be sure to watch how your thumb typically hits the sensor (for me it is more of the side of the thumb when I am holding the phone in one hand) and be sure to emphasis that area of the thumb when setting it up - but be sure to scan the entire finger/thumb too.

I've only saved my left thumb and right index finger once each (there are only "two fingerprints added" on my phone right now and everything works very reliably with either finger.
That's great, but I prefer a screen protector.

sic0048

Jun 25, 2010
Google Pixel 6
That's great, but I prefer a screen protector.
I agree. I normally put a screen protector on my phones as soon as I get them. However, I think we are just going to have to wait to see what works with the optical fingerprint scanner and what doesn't. This isn't just a P6 issue however. Tempered glass protectors (my go to choice previously) are unfortunately notoriously bad with optical scanners.

Tool Belt

Feb 5, 2011
Google Pixel 6
I agree. I normally put a screen protector on my phones as soon as I get them. However, I think we are just going to have to wait to see what works with the optical fingerprint scanner and what doesn't. This isn't just a P6 issue however. Tempered glass protectors (my go to choice previously) are unfortunately notoriously bad with optical scanners.
I agree, but at this time I will get frustrated with the phone and hope the screen protector works if and when I drop it.

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
I've had tempered glass screen protectors on optic in screen scanners. This could be a simple case of trial and error. I have more protectors coming in to see. I also have 10 days left to return this device if nothing solves the issue. Taking the screen protector off is out of the question.

Reactions: razrlover

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Googles response to the fingerprint scanner is bs and unacceptable. As much as I like the phone I will be returning it. I’ve tried 4 different tempered glass screen protectors and they all perform the same. Not good.
    11-9-2021 - RETURNING DEVICE

I’ve given it some time to try screen different screen protectors but the nail in the coffin for me is Googles response to how bad the fingerprint scanner is. I can’t accept that as a answer with no foreseeable fixes or updates.

Just a FYI. When registering a finger print, the text above gives guidance as to what side of the thumb or finger to scan next, such as left edge, right edge etc and it is quite specific. When I first did mine I didn't take notice of this and just kept moving my thumb around randomly thinking that was all I had to do, but on redoing it, following the instructions, actually seemed to result in a much better experience.
    Still waiting on my pre-ordered Pixel 6 delivery and wondering if it's possible to unlock the phone without pressing the power button prior while having always on display disabled, just like it was possible on older Pixels.
    Thanks!

You have a couple of options, but by default when a finger print is registered the phone usually turns on a 'temporary on display' or TOD, which is what I'm calling it :) A TOD is an AOD (always on display) but for a few seconds only.

The always on display uses negligible power as it doesn't cause the phone to wake up or Android to leave doze mode, and its all run from the context chip, a very low powered always running slow CPU that does all the background house keeping tasks and listens to the sensors etc, so the main CPUs remain in sleep. I mention this because the phone will turn on the TOD quite often for the smallest nudge, basically any indication you might be about to use the phone, but it isn't really going to affect the battery that it keeps coming on. So in most cases you will not have to press the power button.

Other options are to enable double tap to wake, so if it is on your desk for example, a little nudge will often turn on the display but you could just double tap if not, or enable lift to wake, but this needs a decesive lift motion to activate.

Hope that helps.
    Thanks, wet ones are typically TPU, but good to know it's not too soft or rubbery. Good to know it covers the whole screen, which is not the case for all the tempered glass ones.
    cheers
    Reporting back: The results were good (better than I hoped). First, cutting to the chase the fingerprint scanner is working 100% and very fast. I have increased sensitivity turned on.
    The screen protector turned out to be nicely dried overnight, fairly hard and glossy. There is a slight orange-peel effect but not noticeable unless you blow up a photo to very big. Not easy to see with the naked eye. This (taken with Iphone SE) shows the coating - it's actually hard to take because the coating is very reflective.
    Bottom line- this coating seems to work. Time will tell.
    CAVEAT: Follow the instructions and work carefully
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    This: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C1JWHYM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details Just placed onto my Pixel 6 and waiting until it dries. I've used these many times on other phones - they dry to a nice crystal clear covering and easy to replace.
    Yes, they ultimately get scratched and after a year or so have to be replaced. But they are very thin (much thinner than glass) and I'm hoping that they will allow the fingerprint scanner to work properly.
    I'll update afterwords