General Hey Google: Acknowledge & Fix The Fingerprint Scanner

Search This thread

Tool Belt

Feb 5, 2011
Google Pixel 6
This: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C1JWHYM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details Just placed onto my Pixel 6 and waiting until it dries. I've used these many times on other phones - they dry to a nice crystal clear covering and easy to replace.
Yes, they ultimately get scratched and after a year or so have to be replaced. But they are very thin (much thinner than glass) and I'm hoping that they will allow the fingerprint scanner to work properly.
I'll update afterwords
Please report your results. Other thing that frustrates me is how long it takes the FP sensor to allow another attempt.

docfreed

Jun 6, 2009
Does it feel rubbery? I like they PET ones which are harder to the touch. Does it cover the entire screen or just the display part?
Cheers
No, when it dries it is fairly hard and glossy. I believe that it is PET (or similar) that is coated with an adhesive and dried. It is applied by spraying with a detergent solution and placing on the display. It covers the whole screen (cutout for front camera) to within about a few tenths of a mm. After it dries overnight I'll test the fingerprint scanner and try to post a picture.

Reactions: derausgewanderte

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
No, when it dries it is fairly hard and glossy. I believe that it is PET (or similar) that is coated with an adhesive and dried. It is applied by spraying with a detergent solution and placing on the display. It covers the whole screen (cutout for front camera) to within about a few tenths of a mm. After it dries overnight I'll test the fingerprint scanner and try to post a picture.
Thanks, wet ones are typically TPU, but good to know it's not too soft or rubbery. Good to know it covers the whole screen, which is not the case for all the tempered glass ones.
cheers

razrlover

Mar 28, 2012
Google Pixel 6
I've had tempered glass screen protectors on optic in screen scanners. This could be a simple case of trial and error. I have more protectors coming in to see. I also have 10 days left to return this device if nothing solves the issue. Taking the screen protector off is out of the question.
Let us know which ones work when you can please. Waiting for my case to arrive from Google, have my GSP but waiting until phone fully protected.
I work outside allot and drops happen

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
Still waiting on my pre-ordered Pixel 6 delivery and wondering if it's possible to unlock the phone without pressing the power button prior while having always on display disabled, just like it was possible on older Pixels.
Thanks!

You have a couple of options, but by default when a finger print is registered the phone usually turns on a 'temporary on display' or TOD, which is what I'm calling it :) A TOD is an AOD (always on display) but for a few seconds only.

The always on display uses negligible power as it doesn't cause the phone to wake up or Android to leave doze mode, and its all run from the context chip, a very low powered always running slow CPU that does all the background house keeping tasks and listens to the sensors etc, so the main CPUs remain in sleep. I mention this because the phone will turn on the TOD quite often for the smallest nudge, basically any indication you might be about to use the phone, but it isn't really going to affect the battery that it keeps coming on. So in most cases you will not have to press the power button.

Other options are to enable double tap to wake, so if it is on your desk for example, a little nudge will often turn on the display but you could just double tap if not, or enable lift to wake, but this needs a decesive lift motion to activate.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: coremark and bige93

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
Just a FYI. When registering a finger print, the text above gives guidance as to what side of the thumb or finger to scan next, such as left edge, right edge etc and it is quite specific. When I first did mine I didn't take notice of this and just kept moving my thumb around randomly thinking that was all I had to do, but on redoing it, following the instructions, actually seemed to result in a much better experience.

docfreed

Jun 6, 2009
Thanks, wet ones are typically TPU, but good to know it's not too soft or rubbery. Good to know it covers the whole screen, which is not the case for all the tempered glass ones.
cheers
Reporting back: The results were good (better than I hoped). First, cutting to the chase the fingerprint scanner is working 100% and very fast. I have increased sensitivity turned on.
The screen protector turned out to be nicely dried overnight, fairly hard and glossy. There is a slight orange-peel effect but not noticeable unless you blow up a photo to very big. Not easy to see with the naked eye. This (taken with Iphone SE) shows the coating - it's actually hard to take because the coating is very reflective.
Bottom line- this coating seems to work. Time will tell.
CAVEAT: Follow the instructions and work carefully
IMG_0062.jpeg

Tool Belt

Feb 5, 2011
Google Pixel 6
I have some TPU on order, but as of now I have the SuperShieldz TmGlss, added thumb once, index finger 3 times. turned up sensitivity. Thumb rarely works, finger works as well as my outgoing Sammy S9, which is acceptable. If that continues I will keep that on. I have Smart Lock working at home and in the cars, so my use of the FP is somewhat mitigated.

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
Reporting back: The results were good (better than I hoped). First, cutting to the chase the fingerprint scanner is working 100% and very fast. I have increased sensitivity turned on.
The screen protector turned out to be nicely dried overnight, fairly hard and glossy. There is a slight orange-peel effect but not noticeable unless you blow up a photo to very big. Not easy to see with the naked eye. This (taken with Iphone SE) shows the coating - it's actually hard to take because the coating is very reflective.
View attachment 5445705
i ordered this. i cancelled my supershieldz tempered glass order because the reviews truly were bad on amazon, even though I've never had poor results with their products. I'm just not in love with the camera U-shape cutout. wish it was just a circle. makes alignment easier.

i did order the supershieldz clear hd film to try out as it comes with 6 and is cheap. and i can just return it if its absolute garbage.

one thing that wasn't so obvious to me is the difference between the hd clear film protector from these guys vs. the same product described as matte. anyone know? here's a link to it:

update: i ordered the matte also. we'll see what its like. matte sounds more interesting to me than clear hd film.

Last edited:

turbosrrgood

I'm somewhat baffled by the fingerprint complaints, my experience has been near flawless (no screen protector yet, those can cause issues). IMO better than all other under screen scanners I've used. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but when adding a print, move change the angle/position with every press to greatly increase accuracy.

I also see complaints about underscreen scanners in every phone launch, I get it if people don't like that kind of reader, but it seems to be the new norm. If you haven't used them before give it a little time to adjust. I'll admit it's odd they didn't keep face unlock, but that was known ahead of time.

Reactions: derausgewanderte

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
I'm somewhat baffled by the fingerprint complaints, my experience has been near flawless (no screen protector yet, those can cause issues). IMO better than all other under screen scanners I've used. Maybe I'm stating the obvious, but when adding a print, move change the angle/position with every press to greatly increase accuracy.

I also see complaints about underscreen scanners in every phone launch, I get it if people don't like that kind of reader, but it seems to be the new norm. If you haven't used them before give it a little time to adjust. I'll admit it's odd they didn't keep face unlock, but that was known ahead of time.

I am in the same boat. i added my right thumb 5 times and i'm good to go. same finger recognition as my OnePlus 6T that I am coming from. But having been with android phones for the last 10 or 15 years or whatever, I've come to just see and ignore the same critiques. there are people out there who are simply way more nitpicky than others. and there are also people who believe that paying $300 with trade-in or $600 full price means they have to get a problem-free phone. i'm old enough to know that every product no matter what the cost has its caveats. you have to just become a little more tolerant and honestly also lower your expectations, and maybe also rely a little less on your phone. but i get it, there are different types of people out there. i don't judge them. i just now ignore all the overly critical phone critiques.

the only feature i wish this phone had was face unlock. because on the 6T it is all I used and it was lightning fast. But i've had the pixel for 2 days now and i'm used to that feature missing. no big deal. maybe face unlock will become a reality by some other means down the road.

for now, i'll test out and likely return all of the screen protectors i bought. my 6T was fine with the OEM film it came with. maybe the pixel will be fine with nothing at all.

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
I am in the same boat. i added my right thumb 5 times and i'm good to go. same finger recognition as my OnePlus 6T that I am coming from. But having been with android phones for the last 10 or 15 years or whatever, I've come to just see and ignore the same critiques. there are people out there who are simply way more nitpicky than others. and there are also people who believe that paying $300 with trade-in or $600 full price means they have to get a problem-free phone. i'm old enough to know that every product no matter what the cost has its caveats. you have to just become a little more tolerant and honestly also lower your expectations, and maybe also rely a little less on your phone. but i get it, there are different types of people out there. i don't judge them. i just now ignore all the overly critical phone critiques.

the only feature i wish this phone had was face unlock. because on the 6T it is all I used and it was lightning fast. But i've had the pixel for 2 days now and i'm used to that feature missing. no big deal. maybe face unlock will become a reality by some other means down the road.

for now, i'll test out and likely return all of the screen protectors i bought. my 6T was fine with the OEM film it came with. maybe the pixel will be fine with nothing at all.

When you pay FULL PRICE for a phone you expect normal things to work. People are simply accepting a non working part of the phone. If I had traded in a device and paid close to nothing I would deal with Smart Lock or using the pattern/pin. I've owned damn near every Android device known to this forum and again there have been countless devices with optic fingerprint scanners that worked way better than the Pixel 6. There are articles and honest YouTubers who are speaking up about the issue. Not people afraid to voice their opinion because they got a free phone. This is a issue and it needs to be fixed. I shouldn't have to go without a screen protector or add the same thumb 20 times to get something to work. That's unacceptable.

I'm sure Google has received and seen all the real complaints online. They need to push out a REAL update to fix the issue and add face unlock.

I have more screen protectors coming in that I will be testing. If none of them solve the issue I will be returning the phone as I have until the 11th.

docfreed

Jun 6, 2009
i ordered this. i cancelled my supershieldz tempered glass order because the reviews truly were bad on amazon, even though I've never had poor results with their products. I'm just not in love with the camera U-shape cutout. wish it was just a circle. makes alignment easier.

i did order the supershieldz clear hd film to try out as it comes with 6 and is cheap. and i can just return it if its absolute garbage.

one thing that wasn't so obvious to me is the difference between the hd clear film protector from these guys vs. the same product described as matte. anyone know? here's a link to it:

update: i ordered the matte also. we'll see what its like. matte sounds more interesting to me than clear hd film.
The difference is $2 on Amazon. I wish I'd seen these before I got the clear (but I'm very happy with clear) So far since this morning I've had 100% on every thumb scan - probably 20 or so. I think the thinner plastic material makes a huge difference in "scan-ability". It still offers more protection than a bare screen, particularly from scratching.

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
The difference is $2 on Amazon. I wish I'd seen these before I got the clear (but I'm very happy with clear) So far since this morning I've had 100% on every thumb scan - probably 20 or so. I think the thinner plastic material makes a huge difference in "scan-ability". It still offers more protection than a bare screen, particularly from scratching.
I'll let you know how they are. I'm guessing matte will be my go-to

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
When you pay FULL PRICE for a phone you expect normal things to work. People are simply accepting a non working part of the phone. If I had traded in a device and paid close to nothing I would deal with Smart Lock or using the pattern/pin. I've owned damn near every Android device known to this forum and again there have been countless devices with optic fingerprint scanners that worked way better than the Pixel 6. There are articles and honest YouTubers who are speaking up about the issue. Not people afraid to voice their opinion because they got a free phone. This is a issue and it needs to be fixed. I shouldn't have to go without a screen protector or add the same thumb 20 times to get something to work. That's unacceptable.

I'm sure Google has received and seen all the real complaints online. They need to push out a REAL update to fix the issue and add face unlock.

I have more screen protectors coming in that I will be testing. If none of them solve the issue I will be returning the phone as I have until the 11th.
see, you were who I was describing. and that fine. you are entitled to feel however you like about what you spend money on. but when you get a bit older or earn more money, you'll see how little these things matter.

and don't forget, this is a 599 phone. not 999. and even the pro is only 899. I'm coming from years of OnePlus phones missing sd slots and waterproofing and wireless charging and honestly who gives a ****. they were cheaper and there was a reason.

Reactions: LeoD

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
see, you were who I was describing. and that fine. you are entitled to feel however you like about what you spend money on. but when you get a bit older or earn more money, you'll see how little these things matter.

and don't forget, this is a 599 phone. not 999. and even the pro is only 899. I'm coming from years of OnePlus phones missing sd slots and waterproofing and wireless charging and honestly who gives a ****. they were cheaper and there was a reason.
The reason why I quoted you. I know who you were referring to. The issue is present in both models $599 or $899. You also describing missing features to a non-functional part is not the same.

People are just "dealing" with it. That's your choice. I'm looking for the issue to be addressed and fixed.

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
The reason why I quoted you. I know who you were referring to. The issue is present in both models $599 or $899. You also describing missing features to a non-functional part is not the same.

People are just "dealing" with it. That's your choice. I'm looking for the issue to be addressed and fixed.
why look for that. just return it and get something else. pretty simple to do these days.

and also all this stuff about the fingerprint reader I take with a grain of salt. if you read the programming instructions and program your finger as instructed, and do it several times over, I very truly believe that the results will speak for themselves. the 6t had the same exact issue and flurry if complaints about the fingerprint scanner. and lo and behold it was actually quite good.

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
why look for that. just return it and get something else. pretty simple to do these days.

and also all this stuff about the fingerprint reader I take with a grain of salt. if you read the programming instructions and program your finger as instructed, and do it several times over, I very truly believe that the results will speak for themselves. the 6t had the same exact issue and flurry if complaints about the fingerprint scanner. and lo and behold it was actually quite good.
So....everyone on the internet, in store, youtube, reddit, and twitter etc are not reading instructions and don't know how to "program" a fingerprint to the phone?

My deadline is the 11th. Why not return it now?...because overall the phone is complete besides this ONE problem. Samsung is repetitive, Oneplus cameras are trash...there is no other phone to get.

LeoD

Jun 11, 2010
Google Pixel 6

I've used both in the past on several phones.

The HD clear is obvious. Simular to a HD glass screen protector without being glass of course but similar look.

The Matte on the other hand is more of what I will call a dull finish. It is nice when your outside however, indoors it will look as I have said kind of dull.

Don't get me wrong, I have used the matte finish in films many times and mostly preferred them. But that is just me.

I can see how some might be bothered if you don't spend much time indoors.

Hope this clears it up some.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Assuming you've done everything you can do on your part, it's obvious that you have two choices. Either return the phone and see if the replacement is better or switch to another phone. I am sorry it doesn't work for you. For me almost all of the problems with the FP scanner went away with the Nov update.
    cheers
    I'm trying but this is nothing like my P5. Instant unlock unless my fingers were wet. I cannot trust that I can unlock in a heartbeat like I used to. I have the Nov update and it is certainly better but nothing like my P5. As I've said before, this is the Achilles heel of this device. Had they gone with the rear FPR this phone would be unbeatable. I'm just not thrilled, I'll keep it, but I'm going to trade it in for the P7 unless they get either a major fix or face unlock. I can't keep doing this frustrating attempt at unlocking my device while I'm trying to pay or read a text.
    11-9-2021 - RETURNING DEVICE

I’ve given it some time to try screen different screen protectors but the nail in the coffin for me is Googles response to how bad the fingerprint scanner is. I can’t accept that as a answer with no foreseeable fixes or updates.

Tempered glass on and off....I've tried all the tips and tricks floating around from Google and YouTubers. The fingerprint scanner just seems to be bad all together. About 4/5 out of 10 times it recognizes my finger. When it does it's super slow.

A update went out last night that people are saying solved the issue...…It has not.

How have you dealt with or solved the issue at hand?
    Just a FYI. When registering a finger print, the text above gives guidance as to what side of the thumb or finger to scan next, such as left edge, right edge etc and it is quite specific. When I first did mine I didn't take notice of this and just kept moving my thumb around randomly thinking that was all I had to do, but on redoing it, following the instructions, actually seemed to result in a much better experience.
    cheers
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    This: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C1JWHYM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details Just placed onto my Pixel 6 and waiting until it dries. I've used these many times on other phones - they dry to a nice crystal clear covering and easy to replace.
    Yes, they ultimately get scratched and after a year or so have to be replaced. But they are very thin (much thinner than glass) and I'm hoping that they will allow the fingerprint scanner to work properly.
    I'll update afterwords