General Hey Google: Acknowledge & Fix The Fingerprint Scanner

Search This thread

mkstevo

Mar 5, 2010
For me, the fingerprint sensor has worked better than any other underscreen fingerprint sensor. I've owned the OnePlus 6T McLaren, the TCL 10 Pro and quite probably a few others I can't recall that have had underscreen sensors, and none worked reliably for me. So far the Pixel 6 has worked well.

mitchst2

Nov 9, 2011
HTC One (m7)
HTC 10
For me, the fingerprint sensor has worked better than any other underscreen fingerprint sensor. I've owned the OnePlus 6T McLaren, the TCL 10 Pro and quite probably a few others I can't recall that have had underscreen sensors, and none worked reliably for me. So far the Pixel 6 has worked well.
Thankfully someone else agrees. My OP6T was ok with regularly used prints, using the other hand was a disaster. Not so with the GP6 and if anything it's getting better with use.

kramer987

Dec 22, 2010
Thankfully someone else agrees. My OP6T was ok with regularly used prints, using the other hand was a disaster. Not so with the GP6 and if anything it's getting better with use.
same here. works well. as I said, people need to follow the instructions when programming. I bet they don't because they just rush through to use the phone.

koreyb

Jun 25, 2009
Google Pixel 4a
I was using OP6 for a few years as well and absolutely despised the scanner. Even with same thumb registered multiple times it wouldn't read half the time, and was twice as slow as Pix6.

I don't have any other experience with them outside of the two, but it's extremely quick and haven't had any issues recognizing.

Haven't applied screen protector or the update yet.

mkstevo

Mar 5, 2010
Today I've been at work and a part broke that needed super glue to put it together again. [Why does super glue stick to everything, including fingers way better than what ever I'm glueing?] Super glue all over my thumb and finger(s). Pixel 6 unlocked using glue coated fingers without complaint. So, for me, the sensor is working well?

Perhaps more than one type of sensor has been fitted?

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Tried the Zagg Tempered Glass today.....no dice. I'm getting around 3/10 unlocks.

Tried LK Tempered Glass.....I'm getting around 6/10 but camera cutout affects front camera. Reached out to company and they suggested I try their film screen protector.

I'm starting to see people have better results with film protectors. Sucks because I left them alone years ago.

I'm also seeing companies pull their tempered glass from Amazon as well as other sites. Maybe they are working on a Rev 2. Since more people have device in hand companies can do more thorough testing.

Reactions: lilrob1213

Sh0X31

Mar 27, 2010
Frankfurt am Main
TOCOL 6 Stück Schutzfolie...
I use this also and have no problem with the Fingerprint Scanner

DoobyDroid

Mar 17, 2013
tenbury wells
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Had 3 devices so far (green screen ) and all 3 fingerprint readers have worked fine registered thumb 2/3 times ok it's not the quickest and ideally would of been better having it on the side power button if they had put volume rocker top and power button below would of been a better combination I think but 99% of time unlocks first touch , I don't use screen protectors just make the screen look naff

gavingt

Mar 29, 2012
My fingerprint sensor almost never works on the first try. I have to lift my finger and try it again, and then the second time it almost always works:

If that's not a software bug, I'd be very surprised.

xinzic

Oct 12, 2012
I can get the fingerprint scanner to work almost 90% of the time without any screen protector. I used a tempered glass and it did not work at all.
I thought it's too thick and was preventing the optical scanner to do its job. So I got myself a cheapest thinnest plastic screen protector. As soon the the plastic sheet is on the finger print scanner stopped working.

I am really disappointed. I need at least a plastic screen protector to be on it. I might even return this phone.

Haxxler

Feb 16, 2009
I really miss the fingerprint scanner of the pixel 5. It worked so perfect every time. I don't know why they decided to change it to an under screen sensor. Those things are always a pain in the ass.

Reactions: Felchy

gavingt

Mar 29, 2012
I'm never buying another phone without a rear fingerprint sensor again (unless something better comes along). I ****ing hate unlocking this phone.

lackalil

Mar 10, 2011
While it's a step backward from the capacitive sensors I've had (on a 3a and OnePlus 3), the P6 scanner is equal to or slightly better than the one on my 7T. I don't understand the complaints. The thing I has to get used to on the 7T was having to hold it until I felt the vibration. It's definitely longer than the 3a, but we're talking about maybe 1/3 second vs 2/3 second.

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Curious if anybody else who has FP scanner issues when unlocking their phones. I have noticed over the last couple days that the success rate went down due to dry fingers. Sometimes I have to press the scanner several times before it works. However, when I try several of my banking apps, pressing the FP scanner gives me a split second note "not recognized" but then opens the app. Every time. Not sure what to make of this. I am not a developer and wouldn't know if the security on the lockscreen is the same within a third party app when checking the FP.

gavingt

Mar 29, 2012
Google is trying to lie and say the fingerprint sensor is slow and awful because of "enhanced security":

Why do I have to touch the fingerprint sensor twice to get it to work? It's clearly bugged, Google. And if it's not the fingerprint sensor then it's the lockscreen that's bugged.

gordec

Aug 21, 2007
San Francisco, CA
I don't understand what's so awesome about in screen FP reader. I got my wife the P6, and she hates the in screen FP. I remember Samsung Note 10, then S21 Ultra. Even with S21 Ultra, the in screen FP reader isn't as reliable as physical reader. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a well placed physical FP reader. I'm so happy now I'm on Z Fold 3 because there is a physical FP reader.

Tidbits

Mar 5, 2011
Pearl City
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
At least for me it's the read time. Sometimes I don't hit it square on or my finger moves slightly while it's being read and fails. With a screen protector it happens more often as all the ones I tried are slippery compared to the normal screen. I get more unlocks when I am more deliberate and can keep my finger from sliding.

CB620

Jan 6, 2009
Googles response to the fingerprint scanner is bs and unacceptable. As much as I like the phone I will be returning it. I’ve tried 4 different tempered glass screen protectors and they all perform the same. Not good.

Last edited:
Reactions: harryw66

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Assuming you've done everything you can do on your part, it's obvious that you have two choices. Either return the phone and see if the replacement is better or switch to another phone. I am sorry it doesn't work for you. For me almost all of the problems with the FP scanner went away with the Nov update.
    cheers
    I'm trying but this is nothing like my P5. Instant unlock unless my fingers were wet. I cannot trust that I can unlock in a heartbeat like I used to. I have the Nov update and it is certainly better but nothing like my P5. As I've said before, this is the Achilles heel of this device. Had they gone with the rear FPR this phone would be unbeatable. I'm just not thrilled, I'll keep it, but I'm going to trade it in for the P7 unless they get either a major fix or face unlock. I can't keep doing this frustrating attempt at unlocking my device while I'm trying to pay or read a text.
    11-9-2021 - RETURNING DEVICE

I’ve given it some time to try screen different screen protectors but the nail in the coffin for me is Googles response to how bad the fingerprint scanner is. I can’t accept that as a answer with no foreseeable fixes or updates.

Tempered glass on and off....I've tried all the tips and tricks floating around from Google and YouTubers. The fingerprint scanner just seems to be bad all together. About 4/5 out of 10 times it recognizes my finger. When it does it's super slow.

A update went out last night that people are saying solved the issue...…It has not.

How have you dealt with or solved the issue at hand?
    Just a FYI. When registering a finger print, the text above gives guidance as to what side of the thumb or finger to scan next, such as left edge, right edge etc and it is quite specific. When I first did mine I didn't take notice of this and just kept moving my thumb around randomly thinking that was all I had to do, but on redoing it, following the instructions, actually seemed to result in a much better experience.
    Thanks, wet ones are typically TPU, but good to know it's not too soft or rubbery. Good to know it covers the whole screen, which is not the case for all the tempered glass ones.
    cheers
    Reporting back: The results were good (better than I hoped). First, cutting to the chase the fingerprint scanner is working 100% and very fast. I have increased sensitivity turned on.
    The screen protector turned out to be nicely dried overnight, fairly hard and glossy. There is a slight orange-peel effect but not noticeable unless you blow up a photo to very big. Not easy to see with the naked eye. This (taken with Iphone SE) shows the coating - it's actually hard to take because the coating is very reflective.
    Bottom line- this coating seems to work. Time will tell.
    CAVEAT: Follow the instructions and work carefully
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    This: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C1JWHYM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details Just placed onto my Pixel 6 and waiting until it dries. I've used these many times on other phones - they dry to a nice crystal clear covering and easy to replace.
    Yes, they ultimately get scratched and after a year or so have to be replaced. But they are very thin (much thinner than glass) and I'm hoping that they will allow the fingerprint scanner to work properly.
    I'll update afterwords