General Hey Google: Acknowledge & Fix The Fingerprint Scanner

Search This thread

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
It is so bizzare - I had a leftover SP (not the right size) from my Nord fitted and the FP worked 19 out of 20 times.
I ordered the AmFilm ones of Amazon after reading a few positive comments, but with the AmFilm the FP works 50% of the time - but its so random - sometimes it works 4-5 times on the trot and I think, great I have got the hang of the positioning etc. Then the next time it fails to recognise multiple times until I just give up and input the pin..

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
same here. works well. as I said, people need to follow the instructions when programming. I bet they don't because they just rush through to use the phone.
I have owned the OnePlus 7T and just sold my OP Nord the last week.
For both, the FP sensor worked almost perfectly - unlocking almost every single time on the 1st attempt and if not then definitely on the 2nd attempt.

I did not rush the fingerpring programming on the P6,even tried reprogramming my thumb multiple times and it worked just fine without an SP in place. It also works most of the time with my left over Nord SP - but when I have tried fitting a P6 SP, the FP sensor is only 50% reliable. - sometimes failing to recognise even after 3-4 attempts.

blushrts

Jul 15, 2010
OnePlus 8T
I'm using a tempered glass protector on my Pixel 6. One thing I saw that helped me a bunch believe it or not is to rub my nose with my thumb and it works much better. Something about the oil on your skin.

I do have my thumb multiple times as well and the screen sensitivity setting turned on. But the oil on my finger thing helped the most.

I'm using this protector: [2+3 Pack] LϟK Compatible for Google Pixel 6 6.4 inch [Not for Pixel 6 Pro 6.7 inch], 2 Pack Tempered Glass Screen Protector + 3 Pack Camera Lens Protector, Easy Installation Tray, HD Clear https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095YTTR3...abc_1AXD23CS58ZH2SH3C0E9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: jfive74

harryw66

Oct 2, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Just to update that I got my WFTE Screen protectors earlier today.

Seems to be working fine, I replaced the AmFilm one with the WFTE and the FP now worked 18 out of the 20 attempts I tried so far - even if position the thumb in different ways e.g. lower part / upper part.

tomas_v

Jul 7, 2007
Have my Pixel 6 for 3 days now. I cant even count how many times I deleted, then added same finger multiple times.
With or without the screen protector, no difference at all.
In alt these days i managed to unlock my phone with a fingerprint twice, yes, two time out of hundreds of tries.
This is very bad.
After using phones with working fingerprints, that work 99% of the time switching to this piece of engineering is absolutely worst experience.
Tried everything I found here or other places, nothing helps, it is just doesn't work. Thinking of returning this piece of sh*t.
Worst part is that I was looking to to having this seemingly amazing phone.
To those who dont understand how it can be, well it is and it is very frustrating when you got used to authenticating everywhere with just a touch of your finger.
Dont expect any solution, tried everything. It is just bad engineering.

derausgewanderte

Aug 9, 2009
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Have my Pixel 6 for 3 days now. I cant even count how many times I deleted, then added same finger multiple times.
With or without the screen protector, no difference at all.
In alt these days i managed to unlock my phone with a fingerprint twice, yes, two time out of hundreds of tries.
This is very bad.
After using phones with working fingerprints, that work 99% of the time switching to this piece of engineering is absolutely worst experience.
Tried everything I found here or other places, nothing helps, it is just doesn't work. Thinking of returning this piece of sh*t.
Worst part is that I was looking to to having this seemingly amazing phone.
To those who dont understand how it can be, well it is and it is very frustrating when you got used to authenticating everywhere with just a touch of your finger.
Dont expect any solution, tried everything. It is just bad engineering.
Assuming you've done everything you can do on your part, it's obvious that you have two choices. Either return the phone and see if the replacement is better or switch to another phone. I am sorry it doesn't work for you. For me almost all of the problems with the FP scanner went away with the Nov update.
cheers

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
Assuming you've done everything you can do on your part, it's obvious that you have two choices. Either return the phone and see if the replacement is better or switch to another phone. I am sorry it doesn't work for you. For me almost all of the problems with the FP scanner went away with the Nov update.
cheers
I'm trying but this is nothing like my P5. Instant unlock unless my fingers were wet. I cannot trust that I can unlock in a heartbeat like I used to. I have the Nov update and it is certainly better but nothing like my P5. As I've said before, this is the Achilles heel of this device. Had they gone with the rear FPR this phone would be unbeatable. I'm just not thrilled, I'll keep it, but I'm going to trade it in for the P7 unless they get either a major fix or face unlock. I can't keep doing this frustrating attempt at unlocking my device while I'm trying to pay or read a text.

gnite6

Nov 11, 2021
I find it works ok when my fingers are clean, easily 99% success rate. I can forget about using the fpr at work though. While I wouldn't call it filthy, it is a slightly dusty environment and when I get it on my hands the fpr becomes useless. The Moto X4 I had previously had no problems with it whatsoever. It is an annoyance, but not a dealbreaker.

XNine

Dec 28, 2010
Denver
HTC 10
OnePlus 6
What I've found is that the reader doesn't like a dirty or DRY-skin fingerprint after you set it up with a clean one. After doing some construction work last week, it wasn't working with my dry ass fingers.

I deleted and re-added all fingerprints with my dry finger tips, and now, no matter what, it takes my fingerprints. We'll see if the December update helps at all.

bobby janow

Jun 15, 2010
What I've found is that the reader doesn't like a dirty or DRY-skin fingerprint after you set it up with a clean one. After doing some construction work last week, it wasn't working with my dry ass fingers.

I deleted and re-added all fingerprints with my dry finger tips, and now, no matter what, it takes my fingerprints. We'll see if the December update helps at all.
I just flashed the update and it's working much much better in the 10 minutes I've played with it. lol. Anyone else getting good results?

GroovyGeek

Oct 11, 2010
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Google Pixel 6
Have scanned each finger twice, getting at most 25% success. The Pixel 6 fingerprint scanner is truly an abomination. I am coming from the OP7T, which worked 99% of the time with the screen protector in place. I am using the Tocol screen protector on the pixel 6 and am fully up to date. If this does not improve over the next few days with use it is going back to Google. The OP7T got considerably better after a few days. Really disappointing for Google to release a flagship phone with this feature

vampyre_masq

Jul 13, 2007
Perth
I came from a S21 with a flawless reader, i was so disgusted with the FPR on the P6 that i went back to the S21 after a week. Now then after the mid November update it was a bit better but still lots of issues, after the December update that i just did i will say its better again, still not as fast or accurate as the S21 but it is better. Ive only had the update working for like 30 mins though so time may change my opinion again.

Reactions: james-151

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    cheers
    I'm trying but this is nothing like my P5. Instant unlock unless my fingers were wet. I cannot trust that I can unlock in a heartbeat like I used to. I have the Nov update and it is certainly better but nothing like my P5. As I've said before, this is the Achilles heel of this device. Had they gone with the rear FPR this phone would be unbeatable. I'm just not thrilled, I'll keep it, but I'm going to trade it in for the P7 unless they get either a major fix or face unlock. I can't keep doing this frustrating attempt at unlocking my device while I'm trying to pay or read a text.
    11-9-2021 - RETURNING DEVICE

I’ve given it some time to try screen different screen protectors but the nail in the coffin for me is Googles response to how bad the fingerprint scanner is. I can’t accept that as a answer with no foreseeable fixes or updates.

Tempered glass on and off....I've tried all the tips and tricks floating around from Google and YouTubers. The fingerprint scanner just seems to be bad all together. About 4/5 out of 10 times it recognizes my finger. When it does it's super slow.

A update went out last night that people are saying solved the issue...…It has not.

How have you dealt with or solved the issue at hand?
    Just a FYI. When registering a finger print, the text above gives guidance as to what side of the thumb or finger to scan next, such as left edge, right edge etc and it is quite specific. When I first did mine I didn't take notice of this and just kept moving my thumb around randomly thinking that was all I had to do, but on redoing it, following the instructions, actually seemed to result in a much better experience.
    Thanks, wet ones are typically TPU, but good to know it's not too soft or rubbery. Good to know it covers the whole screen, which is not the case for all the tempered glass ones.
    cheers
    Reporting back: The results were good (better than I hoped). First, cutting to the chase the fingerprint scanner is working 100% and very fast. I have increased sensitivity turned on.
    The screen protector turned out to be nicely dried overnight, fairly hard and glossy. There is a slight orange-peel effect but not noticeable unless you blow up a photo to very big. Not easy to see with the naked eye. This (taken with Iphone SE) shows the coating - it's actually hard to take because the coating is very reflective.
    Bottom line- this coating seems to work. Time will tell.
    CAVEAT: Follow the instructions and work carefully
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    This: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09C1JWHYM?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details Just placed onto my Pixel 6 and waiting until it dries. I've used these many times on other phones - they dry to a nice crystal clear covering and easy to replace.
    Yes, they ultimately get scratched and after a year or so have to be replaced. But they are very thin (much thinner than glass) and I'm hoping that they will allow the fingerprint scanner to work properly.
    I'll update afterwords