Hibernate apps but they wake back up... Facebook for one

Search This thread

nextelbuddy

Aug 13, 2009
If I hibernate an app like Facebook, its hibernated.. why does it wake back up? how can it wake back up if I dont open it or call it or do anything to share to it etc...Makes no sense.

I am rooted with greenify installed, I hibernate Facebook. Facebook is set to no chat, no notifications, nothing.. it has everything you can disable disabled... yet time after time again of hibernating it, I wake my screen up and do a manual manual hibernation OR i open greenify and Facebook is right there under Apps that will be hibernated soon. i can see the message tha says "Facebook was hibernated when i do a manual hibernation but it always seems to come back on its own.

Reactions: NewYorkLaw

greenmark69

Mar 16, 2013
There are quite a few apps which will wake up Facebook in the background. In particular, any apps which offer to allow you to sign in via a Facebook identity. Even though you might not have signed up via Facebook, those apps will often wake up FB anyway.

If you want to ensure FB doesn't wake up, then you need to install Xposed framework, enable the Greenify module in Xposed and then tick the option on Greenify for Wake-up Tracker and Cut-off. You can then disable having other apps open FB.

Reactions: shekinahsmoke

Portgas D. Ace

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
There are quite a few apps which will wake up Facebook in the background. In particular, any apps which offer to allow you to sign in via a Facebook identity. Even though you might not have signed up via Facebook, those apps will often wake up FB anyway.

If you want to ensure FB doesn't wake up, then you need to install Xposed framework, enable the Greenify module in Xposed and then tick the option on Greenify for Wake-up Tracker and Cut-off. You can then disable having other apps open FB.

How can I disable other apps from waking up FB (or in general waking up other apps)? Via Greenify? Or do I need another app?

greenmark69

Mar 16, 2013
You need to root, then look up the thread on xda on how to install Xposed framework.
Then enable Greenify on Xposed.
Then there is an option in Greenify to cut off the wake ups

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Free mobile app

Portgas D. Ace

Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
You need to root, then look up the thread on xda on how to install Xposed framework.
Then enable Greenify on Xposed.
Then there is an option in Greenify to cut off the wake ups

All done before. But beside a text notification below the name of the greenified app stating which app woke up the greenified app there is no possibility to cut off those wake-ups.

Portgas D. Ace

Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
If you highlight FB on Greenify there should appear a scissors icon on the top left.

Ah, yes. This was the option I was looking for. Thank you :)

For other users facing the same problem: selecting the app that has been woken up (still running, not yet greenified) by long-press -> clicking on the appearing scissor symbol in the action bar will open a pop up notification where you have to confirm you want to prevent this greenified app from being woken up by other apps.

saadtariq73

Sep 3, 2012
Lahore

For other users facing the same problem: selecting the app that has been woken up (still running, not yet greenified) by long-press -> clicking on the appearing scissor symbol in the action bar will open a pop up notification where you have to confirm you want to prevent this greenified app from being woken up by other apps.
can u post the screenshot as i m not able to see scissor sign. phone rooted and have xposed.

Portgas D. Ace

Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
can u post the screenshot as i m not able to see scissor sign. phone rooted and have xposed.

Hmm, quite difficult to take a screenshot, as I can't find another app on my device which wakes up other apps as I have already cut off all such apps.

Try the following steps:

1. Open an app of which you know that it wakes up FB.
2. Close this app or go back to your homescreen.
3. Open Greenify and go to the section, where all apps that are greenified are shown (not the section where you can add apps to be greenified!) -> should be start page by default.
4. Now you should see that the app you have opened is running, but also FB, which has been woken up by this app.
5. Long press on the FB entry.
6. Now the scissor symbol should appear in the action bar and you can prevent FB from being woken up.

saadtariq73

Sep 3, 2012
Lahore
Hmm, quite difficult to take a screenshot, as I can't find another app on my device which wakes up other apps as I have already cut off all such apps.

Try the following steps:

3. Open Greenify and go to the section, where all apps that are greenified are shown (not the section where you can add apps to be greenified!) -> should be start page by default.
4. Now you should see that the app you have opened is running, but also FB, which has been woken up by this app.
6. Now the scissor symbol should appear in the action bar and you can prevent FB from being woken up.
thanks, but see SS no scissor sign :(

Attachments

• 10928731_10202700776874149_852812695_n.jpg
    10928731_10202700776874149_852812695_n.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 3,522

TNSMANI

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
You seem to have some issue. I see that one app says it was woken up by 'Home' which means that Wake up Tracker and Cutoff is enabled. But the other apps do not say how they were woken up.
Better uninstall Greenify and then reinstall following the recommended procedure and for good measure clean up data also.

dalanik

Mar 25, 2009
Prague

Try the following steps:

Had the same problem, and this solved it! Thanx, this setting is sooooo non-intuitive... :)

Nov 9, 2010
I cut FB from SayHi and Skout. then i decided that i might actually want to have SayHi to be able to wake up FB, so I reattached it. but it seems to have reattached everything else to FB. and I can't see the scissors icon anymore. FB doesn't say "woken up by..", it now says "content provided: AttributionIdProvider". I have tried clearing data and reinstalling the 3 apps and Greenify itself, didn't fix it. Any ideas? Thanks!

I'm on rooted S4 mini LTE running Android 4.4.2 stock and Greenify 2.6 beta 8.

23m3ozk.jpg

nvm, scissors are showing on Greenify 2.5.2.

6nz682.jpg

Last edited:

Nayibmc

Dec 26, 2014
Cartago
Is the "Track and Cut Off" function still on Greenify? I can't find it in version 2.7.1. Or is it a paid function?

Portgas D. Ace

Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
Is the "Track and Cut Off" function still on Greenify? I can't find it in version 2.7.1. Or is it a paid function?

I am on v2.7.1 (donation version) and the wake-up path cut-off option is still available for me, despite the fact that there is no checkbox to tick in the experimental options any more.

Reactions: Nayibmc

TNSMANI

Senior Moderator / RC-RT Committee
Staff member
Jan 8, 2014
Chennai
OnePlus 9 Pro
Yesterday the Dev stated this in another sub thread:
"Since the wake-up cut-off engine is upgraded in 2.6, Greenify now does not list the detailed paths cut-off due to the complexity, and the "re-attach" action re-attaches all the paths cut-off. I'm planning to bring back more details in Greenify for cut-off paths in the future version."

Portgas D. Ace

Jun 12, 2014
Bergisches Land
Nexus 7
Google Pixel 6
So is the Cut-off thing just for the donation version?

As I am using the donation version and have this option available, whereas you don't have this option, I would say: yes. But have you tried looking for the scissor icon for different apps? The wakeup-path cut-off option does not work for all apps, so you might want to check it by clicking on apps that are listed under "running" when you open Greenify (main screen).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Try the following steps:

I have tried this but the scissor does not appear and most of the apps iHave wake up by them self like whatsapp or facebookOr messenger what can ido to stop them
    Ungreenify them, as the constant hibernate-wakeup causes more drain than you will be able to save. For FB Messenger, use some lightweight alternatives such as FB Lite (as long as you don't care about chat heads).

I don't greenify Whatsapp, as it's drain is quite okay, no more heavy drain as it has been in the past.
    If you highlight FB on Greenify there should appear a scissors icon on the top left.

Just select the apps woken by others, not long pressing.
    The wake-up cutoff also works in root mode since Android 4.4 (Both Xposed and donation package are not required).