Hidden Menu enabler tool + IMEI restore method

Search This thread

AdamOutler

Retired Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 18, 2011
Miami, Fl̨̞̲̟̦̀̈̃͛҃҅͟orida
Introduction/Credit
This hack is due full credit to GitNick on irc.freenode.net #galaxy-note-2.. I packaged it into CASUAL format because I found it useful and needed it repeatedly. I've had it sitting on my desktop and rather than simply clean up and delete it, i figured I'd post it.

Prerequisites
1. A windows, Linux, or Mac computer.
2. Ensure your Java is up-to-date
3. Your device must be rooted.

Instructions
  1. Click Settings>Developer Options>Usb Debugging
  2. Plug your device into the computer
  3. click the Do It! button in CASUAL
  4. On your device, enable the Hidden Menus from the screen that pops up
  5. Click the Do It! button again
  6. Enjoy the hidden menus features

Download CASUAL GNote2 Hidden Menus

Thanks to AndrewZorn for this image:
attachment.php

For a full restore on Galaxy devices... say you wiped it somehow, which is totally possible with an unlocked IROM and I've done it. you need the EFS, mk9efs1, mk9efs2, and mk9efs3 partitions. The mk9efs partitions are used by the modem in order to authenticate it for the device. These partitions are required to prevent boot-looping after you enter Android. If someone decides to ditch their device, please post these files to help out others. I'm not enitrely sure if the mk9 files contain device specific information.

You will need to get a "stock" version of these files on a rooted device, "dd'd" over and then perform the IMEI change procedure below to have a fully operational device.

To restore your IMEI, follow the directions from <:GeeK:> adapted to work on this device.
INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Download NV reader/writer HERE and install THESE drivers.

2) Dial *#7284# Run the CASUAL above and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "RMNET + DM + MODEM".

*If you are running a aosp rom (cm9,cm10,aokp etc) you can use the diag method described HERE

3) Create backup.

a) Click "port" in the top left and select your samsung serial port.
b) Make sure BOTH boxes in the top bar are checked.
c) Click "Connect" in the top bar.
d) Click "Read" in the top bar.
e) Click "Read" in the lower 'NV-items' section.
f) Save the .txt file, this is your backup

*The process will take 5-10min. The file size will be roughly 3mb and "inactive item" and "bad parameter" sections are normal.
*To restore click "Write" in the lower 'NV-items' section and navigate to your backup file.

4) Dial *#7284# Run the CASUAL above and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "MTP + ADB".

Demonstration video HERE << Thanks to moonfire for the video.

IMEI ALREADY CORRUPT?

Use THIS custom built tool to easily generate a backup file with your properly formatted IMEI to restore your phone!

1) Enter your IMEI (find it behind your battery) in the text box up top, hit generate then hit save.

2) Use "NV-Item reader writer" to write the saved text file back to your phone and then reboot.

Capture-sgs3-imei-nv-gen.PNG

About
This is a really simple CASUAL script:
Code:
shell "su -c am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://HIDDENMENUENABLE"
shell "su -c am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://IOTHIDDENMENU"
I hope someone finds it useful.

Last edited:

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
Reactions: tml478

AndrewZorn

Nov 26, 2007
It worked (I'm on Jelly 'Beans' Build 4), just don't really know if I need to change anything. Here's a screenshot.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-01-23-12-53.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-01-23-12-53.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 152,917
Reactions: Dugall12

adrynalyne

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 13, 2008
If anyone wants it, here is an android version I whipped up that will also access the hidden menu. Just sideload, root access is not required. It should work on a factory stock device as well as rooted devices.

Attachments

• HiddenMenu_No_Root.apk
    158.4 KB · Views: 17,168
Last edited:

spikebball96

Dec 2, 2012
OnePlus 7 Pro
OnePlus 10 Pro
If anyone wants it, here is an android version that will also access the hidden menu. Just sideload--requires root.

wow. that was a lot easier than I thought. I hate casual. it takes forever to open and it doesn't close. I have to close it with task manager and for some reason it took away the X on my task manager and I can't get it back so whenever I use casual I have to restart my computer

Sent from my unlocked and over clocked boss on beans

Zacedward

Dec 20, 2012
If anyone wants it, here is an android version I whipped up that will also access the hidden menu. Just sideload--requires root.

I tried it I enabled codes click on launch its not doing anything

Sent from my SCH-I605 rooted unlocked running clean rom 3.5 red theme using xda premium

adrynalyne

Dec 13, 2008

Sent from my SCH-I605 rooted unlocked running clean rom 3.5 red theme using xda premium

Casual won't work either then. CleanRom has broken the ability to enable the dialer codes and hidden menu. I saw the same issue on IRC last night with someone else that is on CleanRom. If you are on a proper Verizon TW rom, this apk works.

Talk the CleanRom dev to fix it. In my experience, its a mismatch of apks from different versions and phones that has that effect.

If you want, try it via adb:

Code:
adb shell
su
am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://HIDDENMENUENABLE

It probably won't work for you on CleanRom though and that is the same method the apk is using.

Last edited:

BlueHarford

Aug 11, 2010
Abingdon, MD
Casual won't work either then. CleanRom has broken the ability to enable the dialer codes and hidden menu. I saw the same issue on IRC last night with someone else that is on CleanRom. If you are on a proper Verizon TW rom, this apk works.

Talk the CleanRom dev to fix it. In my experience, its a mismatch of apks from different versions and phones that has that effect.

If you want, try it via adb:

Code:
adb shell
su
am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://HIDDENMENUENABLE

It probably won't work for you on CleanRom though and that is the same method the apk is using.

yea CR 3.5 isnt a verizon rom, its the international version that has all the minimal requirements for it to properly run on VZW. he does have a VZW version its at 1.0 i would assume if you ran that this would work fine.

AdamOutler

Feb 18, 2011
wow. that was a lot easier than I thought. I hate casual. it takes forever to open and it doesn't close. I have to close it with task manager and for some reason it took away the X on my task manager and I can't get it back so whenever I use casual I have to restart my computer

Sent from my unlocked and over clocked boss on beans

on my desktop 90% of the time spent loading CASUAL is waiting for ADB to start its server.

spiderbolt

May 2, 2012
What is the purpose of this? With that being said I did download the apk and check it out and was wondering in the phone util option it says cdma modem does that mean that it will make my phone a modem snd pull faster tethering speed or just that it will block calls and anything else that would cuz data to drop

ProfEngr

Aug 25, 2009
Scott just made a patch for his Intl based roms so this would work on them.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using one opposable thumb.

SilentO

Jan 31, 2008

Likewise, and my version is

Can anyone help?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357416169433.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357416169433.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,788

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introduction/Credit
    This hack is due full credit to GitNick on irc.freenode.net #galaxy-note-2.. I packaged it into CASUAL format because I found it useful and needed it repeatedly. I've had it sitting on my desktop and rather than simply clean up and delete it, i figured I'd post it.

Prerequisites
    1. A windows, Linux, or Mac computer.
    2. Ensure your Java is up-to-date
    3. Your device must be rooted.

Instructions
    1. Click Settings>Developer Options>Usb Debugging
    2. Plug your device into the computer
    3. click the Do It! button in CASUAL
    4. On your device, enable the Hidden Menus from the screen that pops up
    5. Click the Do It! button again
    6. Enjoy the hidden menus features

Download CASUAL GNote2 Hidden Menus

Thanks to AndrewZorn for this image:
    attachment.php

For a full restore on Galaxy devices... say you wiped it somehow, which is totally possible with an unlocked IROM and I've done it. you need the EFS, mk9efs1, mk9efs2, and mk9efs3 partitions. The mk9efs partitions are used by the modem in order to authenticate it for the device. These partitions are required to prevent boot-looping after you enter Android. If someone decides to ditch their device, please post these files to help out others. I'm not enitrely sure if the mk9 files contain device specific information.

You will need to get a "stock" version of these files on a rooted device, "dd'd" over and then perform the IMEI change procedure below to have a fully operational device.

To restore your IMEI, follow the directions from <:GeeK:> adapted to work on this device.
    INSTRUCTIONS:

1) Download NV reader/writer HERE and install THESE drivers.

2) Dial *#7284# Run the CASUAL above and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "RMNET + DM + MODEM".

*If you are running a aosp rom (cm9,cm10,aokp etc) you can use the diag method described HERE

3) Create backup.

a) Click "port" in the top left and select your samsung serial port.
    b) Make sure BOTH boxes in the top bar are checked.
    c) Click "Connect" in the top bar.
    d) Click "Read" in the top bar.
    e) Click "Read" in the lower 'NV-items' section.
    f) Save the .txt file, this is your backup

*The process will take 5-10min. The file size will be roughly 3mb and "inactive item" and "bad parameter" sections are normal.
    *To restore click "Write" in the lower 'NV-items' section and navigate to your backup file.

4) Dial *#7284# Run the CASUAL above and select "Qualcomm USB Settings" then check "MTP + ADB".

Demonstration video HERE << Thanks to moonfire for the video.

IMEI ALREADY CORRUPT?

Use THIS custom built tool to easily generate a backup file with your properly formatted IMEI to restore your phone!

1) Enter your IMEI (find it behind your battery) in the text box up top, hit generate then hit save.

2) Use "NV-Item reader writer" to write the saved text file back to your phone and then reboot.

Capture-sgs3-imei-nv-gen.PNG

About
    This is a really simple CASUAL script:
    Code:
    shell "su -c am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://HIDDENMENUENABLE"
    shell "su -c am broadcast -a android.provider.Telephony.SECRET_CODE -d android_secret_code://IOTHIDDENMENU"
    I hope someone finds it useful.
    If anyone wants it, here is an android version I whipped up that will also access the hidden menu. Just sideload, root access is not required. It should work on a factory stock device as well as rooted devices.
    Updated OP with IMEI restoration instructions.
    HEY SO IM IN NEED OF BEING POINTED IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION...

COUGH...COUGH***IF ANYONE CAN EVEN HELP....

I HAVE A VERIZON GALAXY NOTE 2....I HAVE SPRINT SEVICE....IM TRYING TO GET THE VERIZON NOTE 2 ON MY SPRINT ACCT...

SO I KNOW THIS SOUNDS DUMB...BUT I BROKE MY SPRINT S2 AND CAME ACROSS THIS PHONE...
    ******TO GET TO THE POINT******

I HAVE EVERYTHING WORKING EXCEPT 3G DATA

I NEED TO KNOW WHAT TO PUT FOR HA AND AAA PASSWORDS???

HA = secret ? where does this go? profile 0 and 1 or just 0?

AAA secret? ---

HOW CAN I GET MY 3G SPRINT DATA WORKING ON A VERIZON PHONE?...HOW TO CONFIGURE THE PROFILE?

CAN I GET A HAND HERE....

ANY ASSISTANCE WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!

Two things. The Verizon note sells for more then the sprint. Why not sell it and buy a sprint note. Second, typing in all caps is bad form. Why do you want to yell at all of us?

Sent from my SCH-I605 (AKA NOTE 2)
    IMEI GEN working great but run it on a Virtualbox without Internet!!

https://www.virustotal.com/file/31c...eb96bef02e4f997b78ec9e6cfe8437a731e/analysis/

Contains a Trojaner : 32 / 46

False Positives. Nothing to worry about.