hide data partition in twrp

androzer

Jan 12, 2021
I have a unbranded android phone stuck on kitkat and will encrypt fine but have installed a custom rom marshmallow. This doesnt encrypt at all (green robot, reboot and nothing).
What i would like to do is to hide the data partition from twrp so if it gets lost no one can access data. Should be able to lock unlock from os that way i can atleast ensure data is safe. Ideally i would like to encrypt but it cannot find a custom rom with encryption. I cannot lock BL again as it hangs most likely i think cos it rooted. any info ?

jwoegerbauer

Jul 11, 2009
European Union
I think you can't really hide a partition - really hide data in a partition, even if a dot is 1st character of name of a directory and/or file or the empty .nomedia file is present in a directory. But, if Android is rooted, there a quick and easy, non-desctructable method to make sure the data can’t be accessed without doing some effort. Useful to hide data from a layperson.

The method is simple: flip the 5th least significant bit of the partition ID. The 0x83 for Linux partitions becomes 0x93. Let’s say we want to hide the partition /dev/sdd1 we run in Terminal window
Code:
su
sfdisk --change-id /dev/sdd 1 93
Note: sfdisk is part of BusyBox

Last edited:

androzer

Jan 12, 2021
thats what im looking or, any chance theres an app for this ? using commands phone side is a bit tricky, an app could make like work of that. Still its good enough maybe.