Hide My Applist - A Brief Guide

Search This thread

pndwal

@Stillhard is biggest worry when it comes to these ladies, he seems to like it when they get spicy and close his PR's on github with or without a very brief smackdown

Hint: he likes the smackdown, seems to appreciate the brevity as a bonus

But you know...whatever floats your boat, or tickles your pickle

We embrace the nonsense here, just have your nonsense calibrated correctly upon entry

And dont question my crazy, i dont question your seemingly blind devotion to sanity :p

Theres so much unnecessary nonsense/voodoo/tinfoil hat-ism surrounding "saving battery" and "beating the man" by disabling <insert process here> that i got tired of it around the point of Android 7. People who have seen me about for long enough know that i have a special headshake and facepalm combo for the likes of Divest ROM for kooky prepper level nonsense. Whenever i see a thread drifting off into this digital militia mindset, imma call it out for the nonsense it is. It has exactly 0% tolerance in any thread i start.

Anything else is open...you may commence the flood of cats pics...
I'll just say this (and I refrained before but you keep being fixated on a mere disclosure of user configuration):

Maybe the member in question shouldn't have mentioned he had apps sandboxed w/ island to inhibit wakeup/battery consumption but he did...

He also said he had workspace apps sandboxed that HMA couldn't find and conversely speculated on whether he may need a 'cloned' HMA instance to stop those same apps detecting main userspace apps/applist... He also said 'forget the battery-saving use of parallel space' since it's hardly the point...

As I said, it seems to me that other users may sooner or later try similar HMA hiding for 'parallel space' apps for work use or for other reasons only they may think up...

Of course this would also be edge-case use of HMA and it seems it may not even be possible, but honestly, is such use really Off Topic for the only HMA Guide / discussion thread on XDA?(!)

Personal I find considering edge-case use of various modding tools stimulating, and it foster's better understanding of processes/functions involved... even when what's attempted turns out to be impossible!... Can't see the need to come down hard on that / make everyone conform to our 'blind devotion to sane' usage... A little crazy can/should be accepted (even good) as you infer...
inner self: "See, was that so hard was all that nonsense above REALLY necessary
other inner self: "Yes, yes it was, if you dont tell people they were wrong, how will they KNOW?"
Obligatory on-topic cats:
fly.giftumblr_mjx6uh1hfy1s4yh73o1_400 (2).gifGzeN.giff5bbed4388569e286f71b0010067ecb0.gif
... Hope they tickle your... boat. 😆 PW

Last edited:

73sydney

I'll just say this (and I refrained before but you keep being fixated on a mere disclosure of user configuration):

Maybe the member in question shouldn't have mentioned he had apps sandboxed w/ island to inhibit wakeup/battery consumption but he did...

He also said he had workspace apps sandboxed that HMA couldn't find and conversely speculated on whether he may need a 'cloned' HMA instance to stop those same apps detecting main userspace apps/applist... He also said 'forget the battery-saving use of parallel space' since it's hardly the point...

As I said, it seems to me that other users may sooner or later try similar HMA hiding for 'parallel space' apps for work use or for other reasons only they may think up...

Of course this would also be edge-case use of HMA and it seems it may not even be possible, but honestly, is such use really Off Topic for the only HMA Guide / discussion thread on XDA?(!)

Personal I find considering edge-case use of various modding tools stimulating, and it foster's better understanding of processes/functions involved... even when what's attempted turns out to be impossible!... Can't see the need to come down hard on that / make everyone conform to our 'blind devotion to sane' usage... A little crazy can/should be accepted (even good) as you infer...

I'll (hopefully) once and for all address this by saying things ive outright said or alluded to already...the member seemed to be veering off into territory i have personally 0 time for, blocking everything from the viewpoint of "must stop all background app chatter" (using some of his own terms here).

As you know, because ive shared it in private, i have my own module for blocking ad/tracking receivers, but its very basic, so im not opposed to seeking to increase privacy, save CPU cycles and battery, but some people take it to levels i consider extreme and motivated by thought processes i find also bordering on extreme.... theres a lot of holdover of practices used in early Android that we all see about the place that really has no real place in recent Android...you still see people with half mile long build.prop hacks, despite most of those being removed in code years ago. Then theres outright horse output, like other day i still saw people asserting that copying VoLTE (Qualcomm) onto Exynos based devices would somehow magically enable VoLTE for people. It may seem off-brand, but where possible i like to attempt to dial back the crazy....

p.s. i found in my switch back to Pixel the other night in their threads this module which is a bit smarter than mine as it allows you to specify user or system app (something which i never thought to add to mine)

So im not opposed to the topic of blocking ad receivers/trackers, again as i said to the member in question, and to all in general thats a personal choice (and not really releveant in a targetted thread such as a guide, openly derailed after the OP not withstanding).. I can usually tell when its about to go to that place i find really obsessive/bonkers. If i get a sniff of it, im usually going to say something

I also pointed out my opposition blocking ads on projects where the dev is probably getting a coffee out of every 100 hours of work they put in...and chosen to use an approved way to get some appreciation...i could literally block every ad on my phone without too much drama, but i choose to let people who feel they would like some form of appreciation to get it....

I also linked him to the Island thread where, and ive said this 5 times now?, he was likely to get more and speedier feedback, especially as the its thread by dev of the app, who would have a far better knowledge than i about how HMA might work across the multi user divide...i dont see how this is "not helpful".

BUT, just so we can move on and address the overall separate issue of HMA usage under multi user profiles....If anyone knows definitively if it can be used under Island etc, feel free to post it, ill add it to the guide and credit you, thats not the issue here. I simply did not like the way i felt the tone of the thread was going as the justification, if you like, for Island use was edge case and touched on something again i have 0 time for personally.

I would really like to stop rehashing things already hashed. The privilege i guess of creating a topic is you have some say over it. The member is quite welcome to open up his own thread and go to town. But i felt it was veering off into topics for which i famously have no stomach for, and considering i started the thread, i should be allowed to have some say in how it goes, i just dont want to keep taking hits for it...

Cat pics always welcome. I really do fear more mod interactions next year when ive finished building my Catio, especially as while unrelated and just because it popped up the other day up the road for sale 2nd hand, and for the same price as a MK2 new on black friday sale, i grabbed a Streamdeck XL, so while i plan to use it more as a workflow tool than streaming, it may feature a button or two to switch to an outside camera to throw to my remote correspondent.

Right now, im just learning to use and config it (i swear having it auto switch profiles to a particular app when you run that app and have 32 keys to do stuff in that app is the best thing ever invented), but its screensaver will look familiar to anyone who has visited my github....

PXL_20221126_100947511[1].jpg

Also as i shared with a friend, the first thing i did was set a button to Bleep, so i could employ swear button mode just locally in my day to day life :) It feels like im very much On Air every time i swear now...

As @pndwal and @Stillhard know, i did look into setting up a Youtube channel for cat related hijinx, but i was knocked back on the username...i felt it was an unreasonable restriction, but it may have saved humanity from me having a youtube channel. I dunno, i might do a live "meet the freak behind that cranky XDA profile" at some point.

But please NO ONE should feel triggered at me having a Streamdeck, im NOT starting a full time
channel :)

To the left of the Streamdeck is my favourite gadget i own, a $12 (from Ali Express) USB switch...on the left (back) side of the switch are 2 USB3 cables, 1st (blue) goes to my laptop (which i use most of the time (power prices - with my G7 32" its about 60W) and the 2nd (black) to my desktop (somewhere north of 600W), on the right (front) side are 4 usb ports, and anything in those is switched when pressing the button on top to whichever PC you like, so currently it shares my mouse,keyboard, web cam and now streamdeck to whichever PC im using without a mess of cables and unplugging and replugging. Id like to tell you i arrived at this method years ago as an IT pro.....

(brief cat centric background - im soon going to have my first cat and companion animal in 22 years - took me 10 years to get over losing my bestie on New Years Eve of 2000, and then 12 years trying to find a place to have another - we have crappy rental laws here in Sydney/NSW that will hopefully soon be changed (got an update tonight about it) to stop a landlord automatically rejecting tenants with pets. For me it means i will finally have some company again - as with apsergers i do not do other humans in my space and have been single and alone for all of my life, and thats not going to change. A companion animal for someone like me isnt just about company, they help moderate and relieve stress and symptoms of my condition)

p.s. that cat in the bottle is totally me as a cat

Last edited:

HippoMan

May 5, 2009
Hippoland
I'll (hopefully) once and for all address this by saying things ive outright said or alluded to already...the member seemed to be veering off into territory i have personally 0 time for, blocking everything from the viewpoint of "must stop all background app chatter" (using some of his own terms here).

As you know, because ive shared it in private, i have my own module for blocking ad/tracking receivers, but its very basic, so im not opposed to seeking to increase privacy, save CPU cycles and battery, but some people take it to levels i consider extreme and motivated by thought processes i find also bordering on extreme.... theres a lot of holdover of practices used in early Android that we all see about the place that really has no real place in recent Android...you still see people with half mile long build.prop hacks, despite most of those being removed in code years ago. Then theres outright horse output, like other day i still saw people asserting that copying VoLTE (Qualcomm) onto Exynos based devices would somehow magically enable VoLTE for people. It may seem off-brand, but where possible i like to attempt to dial back the crazy....

p.s. i found in my switch back to Pixel the other night in their threads this module which is a bit smarter than mine as it allows you to specify user or system app (something which i never thought to add to mine)

So im not opposed to the topic of blocking ad receivers/trackers, again as i said to the member in question, and to all in general thats a personal choice (and not really releveant in a targetted thread such as a guide, openly derailed after the OP not withstanding).. I can usually tell when its about to go to that place i find really obsessive/bonkers. If i get a sniff of it, im usually going to say something

I also pointed out my opposition blocking ads on projects where the dev is probably getting a coffee out of every 100 hours of work they put in...and chosen to use an approved way to get some appreciation...i could literally block every ad on my phone without too much drama, but i choose to let people who feel they would like some form of appreciation to get it....

I also linked him to the Island thread where, and ive said this 5 times now?, he was likely to get more and speedier feedback, especially as the its thread by dev of the app, who would have a far better knowledge than i about how HMA might work across the multi user divide...i dont see how this is "not helpful".

BUT, just so we can move on and address the overall separate issue of HMA usage under multi user profiles....If anyone knows definitively if it can be used under Island etc, feel free to post it, ill add it to the guide and credit you, thats not the issue here. I simply did not like the way i felt the tone of the thread was going as the justification, if you like, for Island use was edge case and touched on something again i have 0 time for personally.

I would really like to stop rehashing things already hashed. The privilege i guess of creating a topic is you have some say over it. The member is quite welcome to open up his own thread and go to town. But i felt it was veering off into topics for which i famously have no stomach for, and considering i started the thread, i should be allowed to have some say in how it goes, i just dont want to keep taking hits for it...

Cat pics always welcome. I really do fear more mod interactions next year when ive finished building my Catio, especially as while unrelated and just because it popped up the other day up the road for sale 2nd hand, and for the same price as a MK2 new on black friday sale, i grabbed a Streamdeck XL, so while i plan to use it more as a workflow tool than streaming, it may feature a button or two to switch to an outside camera to throw to my remote correspondent.

Right now, im just learning to use and config it (i swear having it auto switch profiles to a particular app when you run that app and have 32 keys to do stuff in that app is the best thing ever invented), but its screensaver will look familiar to anyone who has visited my github....

View attachment 5770723

Also as i shared with a friend, the first thing i did was set a button to Bleep, so i could employ swear button mode just locally in my day to day life :) It feels like im very much On Air every time i swear now...

As @pndwal and @Stillhard know, i did look into setting up a Youtube channel for cat related hijinx, but i was knocked back on the username...i felt it was an unreasonable restriction, but it may have saved humanity from me having a youtube channel. I dunno, i might do a live "meet the freak behind that cranky XDA profile" at some point.

But please NO ONE should feel triggered at me having a Streamdeck, im NOT starting a full time
channel :)

To the left of the Streamdeck is my favourite gadget i own, a $12 (from Ali Express) USB switch...on the left (back) side of the switch are 2 USB3 cables, 1st (blue) goes to my laptop (which i use most of the time (power prices - with my G7 32" its about 60W) and the 2nd (black) to my desktop (somewhere north of 600W), on the right (front) side are 4 usb ports, and anything in those is switched when pressing the button on top to whichever PC you like, so currently it shares my mouse,keyboard, web cam and now streamdeck to whichever PC im using without a mess of cables and unplugging and replugging. Id like to tell you i arrived at this method years ago as an IT pro.....

(brief cat centric background - im soon going to have my first cat and companion animal in 22 years - took me 10 years to get over losing my bestie on New Years Eve of 2000, and then 12 years trying to find a place to have another - we have crappy rental laws here in Sydney/NSW that will hopefully soon be changed (got an update tonight about it) to stop a landlord automatically rejecting tenants with pets. For me it means i will finally have some company again - as with apsergers i do not do other humans in my space and have been single and alone for all of my life, and thats not going to change. A companion animal for someone like me isnt just about company, they help moderate and relieve stress and symptoms of my condition)

p.s. that cat in the bottle is totally me as a cat

Of course you have the right to allow or disallow whatever you want in this thread that you created.

In order for me to better understand your preferences, stipulations, and rules, can I assume that if being willing to include a long discussion about topics that are totally and obviously pertinent to applist hiding (such as feline companion animals, girlfriends, the Hitchhiker's Guide, 70's music, and NSW rental laws) along with obviously OT topics (such as questions about managing battery and managing background processes w/r/t ad receivers and trackers), would postings related to those obviously OT topics then be welcome here?

In order to insulate this current post against being labeled as OT, I want to let you all know that I also live alone (w/r/t human companionship), and I share my apartment with two cats. They are females, and I sometimes tell people that I live with two girlfriends in an attempt to get a laugh when I subsequently reveal that they are actually felines.

Thankfully, the rental laws here in New York seem to be more liberal than those in NSW, and so I have no landlord-related issues concerning my feline companions. It's important to the integrity of these totally on-topic words that I'm now writing here about applist hiding that I correct an error in what I originally wrote in the previous sentence: it turns out that New York landlords do indeed have the right to stipulate a no-pets policy. Thankfully, my own landlord has no objection to my feline roommates.

But just in case all this massively on-topic info isn't enough to give me a pass with the anti-OT authorities, I hereby once again present the following, which, by its very nature, is always on-topic with regard to all questions and all discussions in all forums, everywhere:

Last edited:

letmedanz

Aug 26, 2010
Bangalore
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Hello! Thanks for the guide and all the useful information.
Been away from rooting/flashing for a while and so much has changed and is overwhelming.

Went through all installations until HMA Beta, which throws up an error while installing in Magisk.
As soon as installation starts, there is an 'UNZIP error', just as soon as it starts copying zip to temp directory.

Have tried downloading 4-5 times assuming it to be a bad download, however same error.

zgfg

Oct 10, 2016
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite 5G
Been away from rooting/flashing for a while and so much has changed and is overwhelming.

Went through all installations until HMA Beta, which throws up an error while installing in Magisk.
As soon as installation starts, there is an 'UNZIP error', just as soon as it starts copying zip to temp directory.

Have tried downloading 4-5 times assuming it to be a bad download, however same error.
What ZIP file, and who said to install the HMA zip file in Magisk?
What is exactly the name of your zip file and where from did you download (,url) that zip?

HMA is not Magisk module but a module for LSPosed.
As that, you have to have Zygisk-LSPosed (,or the Riru version of LSposed if you eg use Magisk Delta with Riru) Magisk module installed and for HMA you must download and install the APK file HMA-V3.0.5-Beta.apk (the latest beta is v3 0.5)

Please read instructions in the OP post #1

Last edited:
Reactions: ipdev and letmedanz

letmedanz

Aug 26, 2010
Bangalore
Google Pixel 7 Pro
What ZIP file, and who said to install the HMA zip file in Magisk?
What is exactly the name of your zip file and where from did you download (,url) that zip?

HMA is not Magisk module but a module for LSPosed.
As that, you have to have Zygisk-LSPosed (,or the Riru version of LSposed if you eg use Magisk Delta with Riru) Magisk module installed and for HMA you must download and install the APK file HMA-V3.0.5-Beta.apk (the latest beta is v3 0.5)

Please read instructions in the OP post #1

Duh moment. Thanks. Fixed

Reactions: ipdev and zgfg

73sydney

Duh moment. Thanks. Fixed

If you ever feel theres something not explained well enough, and we are dealing with users from many countries and language backgrounds, you can always let me know

I only punish lazy millennials/gen z'ers, and people looking to be spoonfed, not people who are genuinely struggling with the steps as laid out by me, even as i try and make them as clear as possible, theres always room for possible improvement

Im always open to fixing errors and making note of where ive found ways to improve

Of course Samsung wouldnt know anything about that because today they posted this very extensive changelog for one of their wearables apps:

Screenshot_20221202-070916 (1).jpg

• Love
Reactions: ipdev and letmedanz

73sydney

Ideas about how to make a Watch 4 battery last more than 24 -> 30 hours? 😜

Cheers. :cowboy:

Mine goes on the wireless charger about every 2nd day, i dont track my location etc.

Step 1 - Dont buy the small one:

Buy the 44m Watch 4, or the 46mm Watch 4 Classic. Dont find out the hard way the 40mm one is a dire POS. lady friend of mine as getting barely 8 hours out her 40mm one, after she turned stuff off...

Step 2 - Resident Bloatware:

Consider removing resident bloatware if you dont use it

adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.microsoft.office.outlook
adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.agent
adb shell pm disable-user --user 0 com.samsung.android.bixby.wakeup

Step 3 - Google Assistant:

If adding Google Assistant, once you have set it up turn off Hey Google for it

Settings -> Google -> Assistant -> Hey Google (toggle off)

and instead assign it to a button for on demand use instead (Settings -> Advanced Features -> Customize Keys and assign to a key, OR use one of the following depending on your case if you prefer to use the stock accessible buttons for other remaps - i use double home for Wallet for example (and yes currently theres a bug where double back will forget the association randomly):

Step 4 - Connection Settings (Settings -> Connection):

- NFC (toggle off - you can toggle from the NFC tile (add if needed - cant remember if added by default) on notification pull down...i enable NFC only when i need to pay for something, then straight back off again

If not using eSIM plan:

Mobile Plans (toggle to Always Off)

Scroll down to Looking for this and tap Location, and toggle off (as with NFC i toggle is via notification tile as needed. Note: i also never track my walks)

While in Location you can tap Permissions and set location permissions for apps (you can all also do this in the very granular overall Permissions menu)

Step 5 - Display Settings (Settings -> Display):

Turn off Auto Brightness and Gestures.....

- Auto Brightness (toggle off, then tap on brightness circle above and set at a reasonable level)

Below that:

- Always On Display (toggle off)
- Raise Wrist To Wake (toggle off)
- Touch Screen to Wake (toggle on - its nice to have a way that doesnt wear your button out)

Optional:
Scroll to bottom and toggle Show Charging Info off

IMPORTANT: Always turn off ADB Debugging OFF you turn it on to do any ADB work...it will drain the battery like nothing else....

Optional tasks:

Consider Disabling Workout Detection

I disable Automatic Workout Detection (Settings -> Samsung Heatlh > Activities To Detect - toggle off) and instead have a Walk shortcut on my launcher thanks to Pixel Minimal watchface (ultimately most people will find this is the best there is, plenty buy or get coupon (free) watchfaces, but the sane folk (the rest of you) end up where i started as a madman) - next to that i have the Steps (counter), then my Heart Rate. This works for me as i only ever walk for exercise (bonus info havent run since i was 18, fractured both legs in the spin up to Gulf War 1 - i was 2 weeks from going, ended my career - never fired a shot in anger)

Wipe Cache (occasionally)

For lag, most useful after an update

Samsung Health Monitor (Mod)

If rooted or in an unsupported area for Samsung Health Monitor, give @Dante63 a visit for his mod of it,

Never seen a dev develop apps to make installing and maintaining their mods possible/easier like does...

Also just about the nicest person on XDA, and Reddit, and Telegram and im sure somewhere else he has turned up to prove this - has left me actual voice messages when he was doing his best to try and coax my lazy ass into doing some work to reverse Samsung Health (different to his Samsung Health Monitor) despite him having way more knowledge of Android under the skin, and me always luckily finding alternate methods that required much less work :) A very selfless, helpful and determined person is Dante....

Last edited:

pndwal

This thread is getting more and more hilarious by the day 😉

I'm gonna watch closely in order to witness what topic isn't going to be covered here 😅

Cheers
Suggest new thread title:

"A brief Hide my AppList guide to be found hidden amongst sundry items on our extensive watchlist (things we'd never want to hide) incl. watches to watch, cats to countenance, music for muses, regs for renters, Streamdecks, Python, girlfriends, a not-so-brief guide to the galaxy... for the intrepid hitchhiker that is, and more!..."

In the event that the suggested thread title above is not adopted for any reason, may I suggest this announcement for the purpose of clarity:

"We'd just like to point out that the applist of concern here comprises whatever is deemed applicable, and what may be applicable in your mind will likely be rejected, not tolerated or at the very least hidden, such being the prerogative of the purveyor of said applist and hider of your applist and my applist...

Here endeth a brief guide to hiding your applist... just don't Hide My Applist..." 😝 PW

Last edited:

73sydney

Get the Samsung Galaxy Watch 5!😉

Cheers

If you have a Watch 4 its hardly worth the upgrade, during black friday, when the Watch 5 Pro were going for AUD$549, people trying to sell their used Watch 5 Pro's for as low as AUD$350 were having no luck getting me or any other Watch 4 people to buy them....when they get to around $200 i might get one...i get 2 days out of my Watch 4 44mm, im not lazy enough to spend $350 $400 just to avoid the arduous task of putting the Watch 4 on a charger every 2 days....

I just put mine on to charge now, and now have to have a lie down and rest from the sheer effort to take it off my wrist and put it on the charger....

Reactions: ipdev and galaxys

huskydg

Feb 17, 2021
AppDataIsolation Legacy Support: enabling /data/data isolation for old Android version (Android 10 and lower). Require Magisk Process Monitor tool v1.1+ 🍻🎊

IMG_20221204_213350_343.jpg

Android 10 and lower without /data/data isolation, app can still detect other apps through stat "/data/data/com.package.name" even using Hide My AppList.

IMG_20221204_213351_011.jpg

After using AppDataIsolation Legacy Support along with Hide My AppList

Last edited:

73sydney

AppDataIsolation Legacy Support: enabling /data/data isolation for old Android version (Android 10 and lower). Require Magisk Process Monitor tool v1.1+ 🍻🎊

View attachment 5777161
Android 10 and lower without /data/data isolation, app can still detect other apps through stat "/data/data/com.package.name" even using Hide My AppList.

View attachment 5777163

Nice work, you just keep managing to come up with surprising new toys!

If you like i can add this to the OP as an extra protection layer suggestion?, and if you are OK with it, i'd like to link your module from my A11+ AppDataIsolation module so that A11- peoples who find that know they now have a possible working method for themselves

Note: i dont currently use my AppDataIsolation module (now on A13, but stopped using under A12 too) as i tended to forget its enabled and forget to toggle it and reboot before i run my Migrate backups...you'd like to think id arrive at the reason why my backup had no app data in it sooner than i actually did and before i toggled AppDataIsolation off and rebooted and re-ran Migrate :)

Also since youre more of a boffin than i, do you see any evidence so far that the app data isolation touted for Android 13 isnt entirely effective?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Stillhard and ipdev

galaxys

Recognized Contributor
May 9, 2007
Cosmos
OnePlus 9 Pro
Samsung Galaxy Watch
If you have a Watch 4 its hardly worth the upgrade, during black friday, when the Watch 5 Pro were going for AUD$549, people trying to sell their used Watch 5 Pro's for as low as AUD$350 were having no luck getting me or any other Watch 4 people to buy them....when they get to around $200 i might get one...i get 2 days out of my Watch 4 44mm, im not lazy enough to spend $350 $400 just to avoid the arduous task of putting the Watch 4 on a charger every 2 days....

I just put mine on to charge now, and now have to have a lie down and rest from the sheer effort to take it off my wrist and put it on the charger....
😂 LOL, get your rest! I upgraded from 4 to 5 at launch and have not looked back!⌚

Reactions: ipdev

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ain't good for me

I don't use HMA only for hiding Magisk and LSPosed apps from checkers and banking apps but also to detach couple of apps from PlayStore

Alas, now with HMA v3.1.1:

1) I cannot even open PlayStore (splash screen stays forever)

2) Cannot test Play Integrity (Check rotates forever, both in PI API Checker and TB-Checker) - interestingly, YASNAC successfully attest but ofc SafateyNet

That happens IF I ENABLE Hide for Google Play Store in App manage, and EVEN (?!) if I use 0 templates for PlayStore

However, if I disable hiding for PlayStore then PlayStore opens immediately and PI API Checker successfully tests

Also, if I revert HMA to the previous version, then with hiding enabled for PlayStore and the corresponding template enabled (for real detaching) everything is again ok

Hence a problem now specifically with HMA v3.1.1

https://github.com/Dr-TSNG/Hide-My-Applist/issues/247#issuecomment-1374914971
    Updated the OP to:

- point out its now OK to use the HMA offered via Lsposed manager as its now serving v3 builds....
    - link to official kdrag0n safetynet, @Displax's Mods remain linked for now as there are some folk wherere those are more effective and for edge cases
    HMA v3.1.0 Beta is available.
    Re.

73sydney

Account currently disabled​

and
    Please note:

I will no longer be participating in this thread, or forum, and therefore there will be no further updates by me to the guide.
    Very much hope this changes after a few nights of proper sleep mate... Wouldn't be the same here without you. 😦

All best, PW... 💪
    It's working fine here. Can't test it on an Opal terminal though, as last time I was in NSW was back in February.

I don't really have recommendations, but hope you get yours sorted.

I do manual top ups, because i like to be difficult :) (and yes i can hear you @pndwal ...sighing and saying to yourelf "totally on brand")

If i try and manually top up i get a brief flash of white screen them im back at the homescreen again...

Also if i do try and add a payment method for auto it does the same trick....

I must give it a crack under Magisk Delta in the coming days
    Hide My Applist Guide

This just a quick guide to hopefully make it a little easier for people new to Hide My Applist (often referred to as HMA from hereon in)

What does Hide My Applist do, or what does it aim to do?

In the simplest terms it aims to stop one app detecting a list of other installed apps, most notably it can often help stop your say banking app detecting if you have any of the apps it considers harmful on their apps on internal blacklist - like the magisk app, or like one of found the other day, the banking app wouldnt run with Teamviewer installed as it flagged this as riskware. Android 13 was flagged to have this functionality inbuilt, but its early days yet to see whether this is indeed in effect and effectual

Pre-requisites:

• A ROM with a working Magisk root installation (see links to threads for official Magisk and Magisk Delta below), this means ideally you should have a passing Integrity check (successor to SafetyNet) - currently for most people this requires:
    • Universal SafetyNet Fix Official from kdrag0n from here or alternately (Mod/Mod 2) from @Displax here (depending on which version is later and more effective on your device - if in doubt, try the kdrag0n offical first). Will update as things change
    • If running Magisk official, Shamiko with Enforce Deny List toggled OFF from here
    • If running Magisk Delta, check with their thread for best hiding method
    • A renamed Magisk Manager app - i rename mine App, because im lazy and it puts it at the top of the App list when im adding it to HMA both during setup, and after restoring HMA config after a new ROM flash/factory reset, and HMA install

Please Note: The method used to pass Integrity Check, and for Magisk hiding methods, and therefore referenced modules like Shamiko, may change at any time, so please visit and Watch the following threads
    Standard 73Sydney Disclaimer: Please dont post here asking questions that can be answered by reading the last 6 pages of any of these linked threads, the OP famously does not tolerate needy people looking to be spoonfed things they can easily find by reading a few pages and expending a little effort - you will likely be called a lazy millennial/gen z'er and sent crying to mummy for comfort, and as a bonus without a participation trophy from me. Aka the world has gone soft, dont be needy. Now, moving on...
    Links to Watch and/or bookmark

Either Zygisk or Riru version depending on your fork of Magisk
    For most people on the official Magisk builds, this will be the Zygisk build
    For people on the Magisk Delta build by @huskydg my current understanding is:
    - if you have enabled Zygisk in your Magisk Manager, you should install the Zygisk build
    - if you have disabled Zygisk in your Magisk Manager, you should install the Riru build

Note #1 (Versions): Now SAFE to use the downloader in Lsposed Manager to download it (at original time of putting up this guide it was only serving the older v2 builds)​
    Note #2 (Bootloops): HMA v2 also used a companion magisk module, that if you forgot uninstall when uninstalling HMA itself, would cause a bootloop. HMA v3 DOES NOT require a magisk module to achieve its purpose, so please DO NOT attempt to install HMA v3 over the top of HMA v2, or install the magisk module from HMA v2 separately, in conjunction with v3. If you have HMA v2 installed, please uninstall the HMA v2 magisk module via Magisk Manager, then remove HMA, and reboot, before installing HMA v3.​

Method:

• Install Lsposed
    From your launcher, open your Magisk Manager app (yours is hopefully renamed as mentioned earlier) and switch to the Modules tab (at bottom), then tap Install From Storage at the top of screen.

Lsposed Install 2.jpg

On the next screen, select the directory where you stored the Lsposed zip, and then tap it

Lsposed Install 3.jpg

The Lsposed module will now install, and when complete you should tap Reboot to reboot your device

Lsposed Install 4.jpg

After your device reboots, you will see a prompt to add a shortcut to your launcher, you can manually place it, but i usually just tap Add Automatically, and let it sort it out, for me, as my main launcher screen is full, this overflows onto a second launcher screen...

Lsposed Install 5.jpg
    Lsposed Install 6.jpg

• Install HMA
    Select the directory where you stored the HMA apk, and install it

Hide My Applist Install .jpg

After install is complete, you should see a notification in the notification bar, pull down your notification bar and tap the Xposed Module Is Not Activated Yet notification

Hide My Applist - Lsposed Not Activated.jpg

When the HMA app opens, tap to toggle the Enable Module toggle to On, make sure the ONLY scope that HMA is applied to is System Framework, then tap the gear icon towards bottom right to go to HMA's Settings

Hide My Applist - Lsposed Not Activated 2.jpg

• Configure HMA
    When the Settings screen opens, tap on Template Manage

Hide My Applist - Not Activated - Template.jpg

On the next screen tap Create A Blacklist Template

Hide My Applist - Template Manager.jpg

On the following screen, type root into the Template Name box, then tap Edit List, just below and to the right

Hide My Applist - Template Manager 3.jpg

Selecting root, HMA and lsposed apps...

On the following screen, you'll see a list of all your apps, select the following, by tapping to tick them:
    • Magisks renamed (hidden) app - mines always App (because as i said, im lazy and its easy to add)
    • HMA - obviously
    • Any Xsposed/LSposed apps

When youre done, press the back navigation key, swipe back or tap the back arrow in top left to return to main HMA screen

Hide My Applist - Root Template - Apps.jpg

• Configure Apps

From the main HMA Settings menu, tap App Manage

Hide My Applist - Not Activated - App Manager.jpg

On the following screen, you'll see a list of all your apps, select any which you want to hide root, HMA and any xposed/lsposed modules from, by tapping to tick them

This will normally be:
    • Google Pay/Wallet
    • Banking apps
    • Any "detection" apps (see list in Testing HMA section below for common detection apps)
    i.e. Any apps which complain about root or other sensitive app detection are a candidate for adding here.

For each app you add, do the following:
    • Tap the toggle to the right of Enable Hide to enable hiding
    • Under Template Config (toward bottom) tap Using 0 Template

Hide My Applist - App Manager 2.jpg

On the popup window that appears:
    • Tap the checkbox next to root to select the root blacklist template
    • Tap OK to close the popup window

Hide My Applist - App Manager 4.jpg

You should now see a screen similar to this for the app you just configured

Hide My Applist - App Manager 6.jpg

When youre done, press back navigation key, swipe back or tap the back arrow in top left to return to app list, and repeat the above few steps for each app you wish to hide root, HMA and any xposed/lsposed modules from

When youre done selecting all apps you wish to hide root, HMA and any xposed/lsposed modules from, press the back navigation key, swipe back or tap the back arrow in top left to return to main HMA screen

Close out from HMA

Reboot your device to activate HMA and the configuration you just setup

After reboot has completed, launching HMA from your launcher

Hide My Applist - Launcher.jpg

You should show the following screen, showing the status as Activated

Hide My Applist - Activated.jpg

Note: Any time you make a configuration change in HMA, you need to reboot for it to take effect

Please note that it can take several minutes on first boot after being configured, for HMA to take effect. Ive noticed this on several ROM flashes. I would wait a good 5 minutes before testing, or opening any apps you have hidden via HMA after this first initial boot.

Testing HMA:

Of course you're probably going want to test the apps you primarily installed HMA to assist with, but you can of course test with the following test apps (some of which you may have had installed already and added during the Configure Apps step.

One, Applist Detector, is linked in the main screen of HMA itself, but not installed by default, so on tapping it for the first time, it will prompt you to download it, or you can grab it before hand from here

The other well known detection tools are:

Momo from here (TG only...may need to scroll to find)

Ruru from here (Github)

Oprek Root Detector from here (Google Play Store)

TB Checker - SafetyNet & Root from here (Google Play Store)

Security Check - Device Compliance from here (Google Play)

Note: After adding apps to the root blacklist or other configuration changes, you need to not only reboot to allow the changes to take effect, but also to force close and clear data for any of the above testing apps before testing again.

Note #2: The results of the tests are beyond the scope of this guide, and best discussed in the main Magisk threads, not here, as this is merely a guide for HMA, and as such would be the worst place to have your posts seen due to the low volume of traffic. Also please do not PM me about test results, all such PM's will go directly to /dev/null/

HMA Backup & Restore:

To save recreating the root blacklist template and apps list, you can backup HMA's config and restore it after a clean ROM flash or post factory reset

Backup:
    • From the main HMA screen scroll down if need be (due to ad placement) and tap Backup
    • Locate where you want to save the HMA_Config.json (prenamed) file and then tap Save
    • Copy HMA_Config.json off device for safe keeping

Restore:
    • Copy HMA_Config.json onto device if needed
    • Run through the setup as above until you reach the main HMA window at the Configure HMA stage
    • From the main HMA screen scroll down if need be (due to ad placement) and tap Restore
    • Locate where you stored the HMA_Config.json (prenamed) file and then tap Restore
    • If you rename (hide) the Magisk Manager app, and you should, you will need to add the (new) renamed Magisk Manager's app to the root blacklist template after restoring the HMA config:
      • From the main HMA screen, tap Manage Template
      • Tap root template
      • Tap Edit List (the first one) to the right of X Apps Invisible
      • Scroll to find your renamed Magisk Managers app and select it
      • Press the back navigation key, swipe back or tap the back arrow in top left to return to main HMA screen
    • Close out from HMA
    • Reboot your device to activate HMA and the configuration you just restored

Please report any issues you may find with the guide above
    . . .
    I see that apart from Dr-TSNG (nu11ptr), (Nangong Xueshan) vvb2060, Shana Saimoe (LoveSy / lovesykun / yujincheng08) and Canyie are also assisting w/ HMA 3.x project... Some 249 members...
    I bet you would love to meet these girls someday. You seem to have more than just a passing interest 😉
    Actually I looked for RikaW (rikkawww, RikkaNya) in HMA discussion too but didn't find her there...

I'm really just interested in Magisk (and associated) development and wanted to tabulate names and handles of main Magisk devs in one place (for my memory)... (Nb. Canyie, canyie2977, is the exception... An exceptional 18 yo contributer among (currently) 252 others but not a main dev.)

It'd be fun to be in Magisk's internal Slack group wouldn't it?... John Wu invited @Chainfire (Jorrit Jongma) into Magisk Slack 3½ yrs ago after he sold SuperSU to CCMT only to discard it... (At least Jorrit got some well deserved recompense for years of free contribution to the root / dev community!)

Some Open-source Root History:

Magisk early days was mostly a one man (school boy really) job w/ @topjohnwu (John Wu) pioneering and releasing Systemless Xposed in 2016, then by August the same year releasing Magisk to the public... [Magisk was a one-man effort...]
    IMG_20221126_175352.jpg

Later in April 2019 John got help from a professional app designer, an in early 2020 made @diareuse (Viktor De Pasquale) "officially the main maintainer of Magisk Manager"! [Magisk becomes a two man team effort]...
    IMG_20221126_174458.jpg

With @yujincheng08 ('LoveSy', Shana), the name behind the current systemless XPosed Magisk solution LSPosed, and her associated LSP dev @vvb2060 + @RikkaW of Riru XHook framework for Magisk fame making countless contributions to Magisk itself (MTK and other device compatibility fixes, enhancements, Zygisk inspiration and methods etc, etc) and @diareuse no longer contributing to the project, Magisk has recently become a one man and 3 women team effort! ...
    IMG_20221126_174605.jpg

It's a shame we've lost a good man for now and see little change to the @diareuse crafted UI, but we're all affected by real life...

I bet you would love to meet these girls someday...
    I'd be happy to meet any of the Magisk team... I have had some interaction in GitHub Magisk issues however; even been able to contribute in minor ways (eg proposal for the current JSON-based update system for Magisk modules that we eventually got after official module repo w/ updates was sunsetted).

It's good to appreciate / understand which Magisk Devs are currently contributing to other projects like LSPosed, HMA, Shamiko etc also... 🙂 PW
    , . . .

I see that apart from Dr-TSNG (nu11ptr), (Nangong Xueshan / Xingchen?) vvb2060, Shana Saimoe (LoveSy / lovesykun / yujincheng08) and Canyie are also assisting w/ HMA 3.x project... Some 249 members...

. . . .
    I bet you would love to meet these girls someday. You seem to have more than just a passing interest 😉
    Could you share what apps you hide, personally?

I got everything working, then Shamiko updated and now nothing works again, even after downgrading, it's weird.
    Do you mean which do i put on the root template? or which apps i choose to apply the template to?...

for the root template thats suggested in the guide

for those apps i apply the template to, thats also hinted at in the guide

beyond that im not overly fond of people suggesting personal lists as there can be other factors, like the ROM they are on, other magisk modules etc, that make effect the outcome and make what i list not work for them. Even something as benign and completely unrelated to HMA as a font module can give up detection on a ROM. I could give you a list and tell you it 100% it works for me and it could fail for you, due to a completely unrelated issue, and then we're suddenly in a long thread conversation where i start to loathe you personally, and thoughts turn to stabbage....

Thats why i have left it limited above to the usual common suspects
    • Google Pay/Wallet
    • Banking apps
    • Any "detection" apps (see list in Testing HMA section below for common detection apps)
    And just to highlight what works for me not work for some, i dont even personally have Google Pay/Wallet in my Magisk Deny List, let alone have the root template applied to it under HMA

Even with the Samsung Apps i have listed, to (try and) work around getting Samsung Health to work (in conjunction with a magisk module) i have several Samsung apps with the root template applied to them, but have never published them because:

a) im not certain which are actually needed to a granular level to recommend
    b) im too lazy to find out - i dont really have the spare time to disable this and that and reboot 12+ times and see at what point failure occurs (there are people on here who do that and you should take every opportunity to express your gratitude to them for that level of dedication), id like to have the time and will to do that, but im 51 and so my cup of life is slowing ebbing away, and id rather get more critical jobs done, and work on building a Catio.....

But as a generalisation if one was looking to sidestep issues with say Samsung Wearables/Health it would be safe to assume major core packages like:

Galaxy Watch Manager
    Galaxy Wearable
    Samsung Accessory Manager
    Samsung Health
    Wearable Manager Installer

Would be a safe candidate list to at least start with, as they would seem logically to possibly interact

There will always be a bit of try and it and see needed with these things, otherwise the magisk threads would all be exactly 7 pages long (and contain WAY less chastisement of lazy millennials and gen z-er's than they currently do (and less mod interactions too)) :)

Its arguably a better troubleshooting paradigm to embrace sharing what if any issue youre having, than applying a blanket set of settings from someone else and hoping it will work, thats just how i see things personally. We wouldnt have gotten very far as a species if everyone alive at the time saw Ugg the Neanderthal jump into a fire and die then thought that jumping into the fire themselves and deciding to troubleshoot the problem backwards, rather than simply thinking "what if i didnt jump into the fire? what if theres another way?", was a valid thought process

But thats just me, and as noted in the past i have an aspie brain and have been known to view the world differently and approach things differently than others. Some outright call me unhinged...i call myself the next evolution of our species, but then i have a very underdeveloped sense of my own importance....

Earlier tonight, during an at times quite brutal period of introspective self analysis, i had a bit of an awakening at the thought of just how much as changed in the 51 years ive been alive on this planet, and perhaps outlines a little better for those who have copped the "lazy millennial/gen z-er" talk from me over the years, just why....

The following overshare may literally save you (general forum citizens) from me wanting to stab you quite enthusiastically with a very blunt fork:

Anyone born today doesnt have the essential and bedrock understanding that at one point in human history your access to information was limited to sometimes wealth - which gave you access to books. Even when i was a kid, access to a simple map of the globe was limited to the hours the school library was open...if you were lucky you had an encyclopedia set that a door to door salesman came round and flogged (Aussie for sold) to your parents, and that only happened in rich families, not mine.

You were lucky to have textbooks that covered subjects you were studying, and you treated them like babies, and they were then resold at the end of the school year to the next batch of kiddies. Knowledge was expensive.

Being a kid who wasnt diagnosed as being officially 100% certified weird (which is how i proudly badge myself now) with aspergers until i was 38, my early life was very isolated, not least due to a very authoritarian father, but also social anxiety. I didnt learn very well in the structured environment of school, in fact i was largely self-taught, including learning to read. Once i had that nailed, i read every book i could get my hands on. Signs were there early on that i didnt have the stomach to suffer people who i felt were incorrect, as in year 5, when a story i submitted for English came back with a red ring around the world autumnal and the comment "not an actual word", and i felt my English teacher needed to be publicly corrected that it was indeed an actual word and the adjectival form of the word autumn, which i admit must have been a bit much being corrected by a 10yo who was largely non-verbal and even at that early stage the proverbial grey man no one noticed.

My point, after a few admittedly circuitous (and possibly troubling unrelated life) diversions, is that with the sheer access to information that people enjoy now, i am often staggered that people wont do something as simple as read the last 6-12 pages of a thread before posting a question and expecting others to jump to their aid. The change and sheer ease of availability of knowledge that has occurred in my lifetime should elevate people, and yet instead in some cases, it appears to actually do the opposite... are we regressing as a species?. People need to do things like spend less time on twitter and social media having their views decided for them, latching on to emotive and carefully marketed subjects and fed to them, and more time on doing the harder things like reading things that inform and even challenge their views.

Knowledge has never been more free and accessible, and yet its never been less utilised in a way to benefit society. Greed and self importance has largely taken care of that. Even breakthroughs in science and medicine are quickly assessed for the viability to be patented before their positive impact on society. And i literally loathe anyone who sends off their DNA kit to Ancestry.com because they want a pretty chart they can try and claim ancestry to people or a region they never cared 2 actual ****s about before because its trendy to claim 1/32nd Viking ancestry because you watched that Vikings show. Or finding out you had a relative 1,500 years ago who might have originated in Africa because youre white and want to appear more "woke". People like this are contributing to the sale of what it means to be human, entire genomes being patented. Just stop it...for the love of <insert your own personal magical sky fairy here>

And on that note, time to wrap up this very brief reply to your simple question. You caught me at a good time... 5AM (when i started replying) Aussie time, after a night of interrupted sleep, crippling self doubt, overanalysis of everything including my personal failings, but largely societies failings...because if it hasnt yet become clear, the rest of you ARE the problem...

@pndwal would have probably seen this length of post and tangential and rambling excursion coming a mile off :)

TLDNR version:

I dont personally recommend handing out lists to folks, its just one step short of kiddies who turn up in the Magisk threads having added every Google app to the Deny List

(
    inner self: "See, was that so hard was all that nonsense above REALLY necessary
    other inner self: "Yes, yes it was, if you dont tell people they were wrong, how will they KNOW?"
    )

Also, this is why i dont create a lot of my own threads...

IMG_20221204_213350_343.jpg

IMG_20221204_213351_011.jpg