High Battery Voltage

Search This thread

myroncz

Mar 30, 2021
Google Pixel 4a
I just charged my P4a to full capacity and monitored it with Accubattery. I have found out that final battery voltage is quite high, is it normal for battery used in this phone? Does Google use this high voltage to increase overall battery capacity at the expense of battery life? Thank you

166747295_738058903447919_7299584270727019382_n.png

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
I've been reading that the most of Li-Pol batteries have maximum voltage of 4,2 V. Also the red colour of the graph little bit intimidate me.
What makes you believe AccuBattery (cough), yet another generic battry app, and related 'red' alerts have any relevance to the overall health of your device. Don't take the bait, mate. ;)

iamagro

Oct 12, 2017
the batteries tend to go beyond what is indicated, it is normal, so it is advisable to charge a maximum of around 80%, to keep the voltage below that threshold

DiamondJohn

Recognized Contributor
Aug 31, 2013
Sydney
I stumbled on this thread when checking what other P4 threads I was missing out on. The voltage is very transient, and you also have to be careful to distinguish between your battery voltage and the measured voltage in the system during charging.

NB: all the following is dependent on root.

The dumpsys batterystats includes lines for "volt=???". If you extract all of these and convert the ms offsets to times, you will get graphs like the following
Volt.PNG
I can only assume the numbers should be divided by 10 to get to the mV You can find this graph at Currently Running>Battery>Battery History Extras>AUTO-WIDTHx4>Graph of Explicitly Recorded Values [VALUE]>NONE - Direct Values Logged>Battery Volt [VOLT].VALUE

Also from the dumpsys, you can get the charging status (as well as battery power and with some calcs, the drain rate) which gives me the following for the same period as above
charging.PNG

Pretty clear the measured "volts" jump up during charging. NB: I am using an old low wattage charger, not the fast charge.

The above graphs were generated using my app TeMeFI, with some details on the above features in the post1 and post2. There are >100 other graphs from the app, including the discharge rate over time. Ands you can also extract the data frommwhiuch the graphs are based.

Last edited: