• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

HighOnAndroid ROM v.0.3 - [Custom Bootanimation][Google Now][App2ExtSD]

Search This thread

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
highonandroidnoob-690x340.jpg

Hey Galaxy S3 users!

I wanted to share a ROM I am starting to build, it’s in its infant stages(notice version 0.3) so this ROM isn’t for everyone.

I wanted to build a ROM for especially for noobs, for those of you who are just getting into the game. I do receive a ton of emails from noobs being totally disappointed after trying advanced ROMs like CM9/CM10. But those custom ROMs aren’t always meant for noobs and beginners who are just getting into Android rooting and ROMs so I wanted to build a ROM that gives you extra features without sacrificing stock ones so they can slowly transition to other great custom ROMs already here on XDA.

Anyways, if you have any suggestions and you are a total boob and want certain features added/removed, let me know and will work on the next versions.

Thanks!

Features

- Built off Stock ROM (USB Kies and everything else works from stock)
- Custom Boot Animation support
- App 2 ExtSD support
- Init.d support
- Jelly Bean Boot Animations
- Google Now
- Speed tweaks for 3G/HSPA/WiFi
- Power saving features
- Graphic acceleration for your photos/videos
- Busybox
- Deodexed/Zipaligned
- SuperSU
- More coming soon! (Let me know what you really want!)
- I left all bloatware on for now (slowly removing one by one, please tell me which one you think absolutely isn’t needed)

ChangeLog
v0.3 Added App to ExtSD Hack, allows you to store apps on External SD.(thank to Mattiadj) ) (There's a battery bug in this version but you can flash the latest HighOnAndroid UVALEM kernel to fix!!!)
v0.2 Added Custom Boot Animation Support, Extended Reboot Menu(thanks to Clark44!), 15-toggles (thanks to Electron73!), some bloatware removed.
v0.1 Based off Stock UVLEM, Jelly Bean Animations, GoogleNow, speed tweaks for WiFi, power saving features, and graphic acceleration so your photos/videos should be higher quality.

Download:
http://galaxys3root.com/highonandroid-galaxy-s3-rom/

From v0.3 on, you will have App 2 ExtSD hack enabled. Meaning if you have an external microSD card into your phone, the system will swap your internal storage and extSD space. So, your internal storage becomes external SD card while your external SD card becomes internal storage. This allows you to increase the number of apps you can put on your phone depending on the size of your microSD card. (So if you use 64GB micro SD Card, you can get 64GB instead of stock 16/32GB.)
Please make sure your microSD card is in FAT32 format, if in EXTFAT format.

What happens if you don't have a microSD card inserted?

Then the script detects that and your internal storage is used normally.

If you want to disable this feature completely, simply use ES FIle Explorer, enable ROOT/MOUNT, then delete the file /system/etc/init.d/11extUS.

Also, if you want to keep the feature, you can boot your phone with your microSD card out, then put it in after your phone boots, then the App 2 ExtSD hack will not be enabled. Confused? Watch the video I am uploading soon.

*Note – This ROM is for NOOBs and for those of you who want to stay stock but get better performance/features over stock ROM.

P.S. I support the noobs. We were all once noobs asking the dumbest questions in the world, no there’s no such thing as a dumb question, that’s how you get smarter. Without noobs, we wouldn’t have any experts.

Last edited:

mightyab

May 24, 2009
Wichita
Me too I mean I am running Crimson V4 because of the awesome battery life I get but I miss those features so bad and they come in so handy when driving

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

+1000 man, respect to you for helping out noobs instead of bashing on them. We all started out as noobs but some of us forgot where we came from. Loads of respect. I'll try this Rom out once I root my phone.

nicky9door

May 3, 2010
If you want to switch songs with the volume keys, you can try tweakbox. It's based off a framework mod called Xposed. It was originally written for the GS 2 but I've used it on the S3 without issue.

Here's a quick step by step:

1. Install XposedInstaller.apk from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1574401
2. Install XposedTweakbox.apk http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1629653
3. Open XposedInstaller and press Install/Update
4. In Xposed Installer, select modules and make sure Xposed Tweakbox is selected.
5. Open Tweakbox > Misceallaneous > Skip tracks with volume keys
6. Reboot.

Note that you need root to install Xposed

Spider_Pig27

Nov 7, 2009
Los Angeles
Google Pixel 5
If you want to switch songs with the volume keys, you can try tweakbox. It's based off a framework mod called Xposed. It was originally written for the GS 2 but I've used it on the S3 without issue.

1. Install XposedInstaller.apk from http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1574401
2. Install XposedTweakbox.apk http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1629653
4. In Xposed Installer, select modules and make sure Xposed Tweakbox is selected.
6. Reboot.

Will try this later thank you

setzer715

Jan 29, 2009
North Phoenix
- I left all bloatware on for now (slowly removing one by one, please tell me which one you think absolutely isn’t needed).

Nice work! Personally I don't think bloat should be removed. Removing bloat is something that Newbs should/can easily learn to do on they're own. Maybe a list of recommended apps with a How-To along with it could be good. Just my .02.

Either way, this is a GREAT idea, thanks for posting!

Spider_Pig27

Nov 7, 2009
Los Angeles
Google Pixel 5

6. Reboot.

I can also confirm this actually works

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Any reason why you didn't use the new base?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Oh i missed was trying to work too fast will update on next version and thanks everyone please keep posting ur favorite mods i m getting some really great ideas will try to implement most of them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Reactions: afbengochea

veritasaequita

Jul 6, 2009
Slidell
this rom is a really great idea. im not sure if it's possible but one thing that would be really cool and also help separate this rom from the rest but still not make it non-noobish would be that soft key slide from left to right to wake up phone option that they have for a few other phones. it would be so cool to be able to wake our phones right from the bottom. i just tried sliding my finger from the menu key to the back key and your finger slides right across the hard button. just thought id throw that out there to see if it would work and to say it seems like it would be really cool.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

Crisisx1

May 8, 2011
Orlando, FL
this is a really great idea. im not sure if it's possible but one thing that would be really cool and also help separate this tom from the rest but still not make it non-noobish would be that soft key to wake up phone option that they have for a few other phones. it would be so cool to be able to wake our phones right from the bottom. i just tried sliding my finger from the menu key to the back key and your finger slides right across the hard button. just thought id their that out there to see if it would work and to say it seems like it would be really cool.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda app-developers app

The two soft keys to wake up phone? That might be a bad idea.

Reactions: tennandcoz1

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    highonandroidnoob-690x340.jpg

Hey Galaxy S3 users!

I wanted to share a ROM I am starting to build, it’s in its infant stages(notice version 0.3) so this ROM isn’t for everyone.

I wanted to build a ROM for especially for noobs, for those of you who are just getting into the game. I do receive a ton of emails from noobs being totally disappointed after trying advanced ROMs like CM9/CM10. But those custom ROMs aren’t always meant for noobs and beginners who are just getting into Android rooting and ROMs so I wanted to build a ROM that gives you extra features without sacrificing stock ones so they can slowly transition to other great custom ROMs already here on XDA.

Anyways, if you have any suggestions and you are a total boob and want certain features added/removed, let me know and will work on the next versions.

Thanks!

Features

- Built off Stock ROM (USB Kies and everything else works from stock)
    - Custom Boot Animation support
    - App 2 ExtSD support
    - Init.d support
    - Jelly Bean Boot Animations
    - Google Now
    - Speed tweaks for 3G/HSPA/WiFi
    - Power saving features
    - Graphic acceleration for your photos/videos
    - Busybox
    - Deodexed/Zipaligned
    - SuperSU
    - More coming soon! (Let me know what you really want!)
    - I left all bloatware on for now (slowly removing one by one, please tell me which one you think absolutely isn’t needed)

ChangeLog
    v0.3 Added App to ExtSD Hack, allows you to store apps on External SD.(thank to Mattiadj) ) (There's a battery bug in this version but you can flash the latest HighOnAndroid UVALEM kernel to fix!!!)
    v0.2 Added Custom Boot Animation Support, Extended Reboot Menu(thanks to Clark44!), 15-toggles (thanks to Electron73!), some bloatware removed.
    v0.1 Based off Stock UVLEM, Jelly Bean Animations, GoogleNow, speed tweaks for WiFi, power saving features, and graphic acceleration so your photos/videos should be higher quality.

Download:
    http://galaxys3root.com/highonandroid-galaxy-s3-rom/

From v0.3 on, you will have App 2 ExtSD hack enabled. Meaning if you have an external microSD card into your phone, the system will swap your internal storage and extSD space. So, your internal storage becomes external SD card while your external SD card becomes internal storage. This allows you to increase the number of apps you can put on your phone depending on the size of your microSD card. (So if you use 64GB micro SD Card, you can get 64GB instead of stock 16/32GB.)
    Please make sure your microSD card is in FAT32 format, if in EXTFAT format.

What happens if you don't have a microSD card inserted?

Then the script detects that and your internal storage is used normally.

If you want to disable this feature completely, simply use ES FIle Explorer, enable ROOT/MOUNT, then delete the file /system/etc/init.d/11extUS.

Also, if you want to keep the feature, you can boot your phone with your microSD card out, then put it in after your phone boots, then the App 2 ExtSD hack will not be enabled. Confused? Watch the video I am uploading soon.

*Note – This ROM is for NOOBs and for those of you who want to stay stock but get better performance/features over stock ROM.

P.S. I support the noobs. We were all once noobs asking the dumbest questions in the world, no there’s no such thing as a dumb question, that’s how you get smarter. Without noobs, we wouldn’t have any experts.
    Battery drain fixed!

You guys need to flash the new HighOnAndroid Kernel UVALEM over v0.3:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=30718534

This will fix the battery bug I finally found it after 3 days of pulling my hair.
    reserved

reserved

6. Reboot.

Pls no Awesome Beats...