Question HK import in the UK

Search This thread
There's a year warranty provided by techinthebasket.

All my streaming services work as expected so not bothered about Widevine.

I'll continue to enjoy my phone while you think of another put down and wait for your superior device.
Again, they don't deliver to my country so they're not an alternative to me.. WondaMobile and others it's the same price as it is with Exynos, so it's not worth the hassle..

arstulex

Oct 23, 2010
First time reading 5G working on the SM-9080 outside of Hong Kong. What speeds are you registering?
It seems to depend on network. I've seen people say 5G works perfectly fine with EE with previous models (S20 and S21) for example, so unless there's something intrinsically different this time around I can't imagine it'll be any different.
This site appears to outline the specifics regarding which models support the bands required for each network: https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/GB/samsung-galaxy-s22-ultra
As you can see, O2 specifically has 3 bands listed for 5G of which 2 of them are not supported by S9080. Whether or not those additional two are 'required' or are just there to provide additional coverage/speed, I am unsure. I know some networks will have a required 'base' band that provides 5G connection with additional bands providing extra speed and better coverage for the people on the outer edges of their reach.
That would perhaps explain p.dixon0's experience with 5G on O2, since the S9080 lacks support for those extra bands that a phone in his area might be more reliant on.

I actually don't live in an area that EE provides 5G to yet, I do visit areas that do however (though not so much at the moment lmao).
When mine arrives I'll see if I can test it and report back.

I was doing some research on 5G speeds in the UK and 100-200mbs is the average right now. O2UK, as usual, appear to have the lowest speeds.

When I checked before purchasing, I only saw O2UK using 2 of the 5G bands, 700MHz and 3500MHz? The S9080 only currently supports the N73 (3500MHz).

My wife has an iPhone 12 Pro on Sky (MVNO using O2UK) and her phone is quite a bit slower than my S9080 when both are on 5G.

arstulex

Oct 23, 2010
I was doing some research on 5G speeds in the UK and 100-200mbs is the average right now. O2UK, as usual, appear to have the lowest speeds.

When I checked before purchasing, I only saw O2UK using 2 of the 5G bands, 700MHz and 3500MHz? The S9080 only currently supports the N73 (3500MHz).

My wife has an iPhone 12 Pro on Sky (MVNO using O2UK) and her phone is quite a bit slower than my S9080 when both are on 5G.
Classic UK infrastructure lmao.
The speeds you were showing earlier make a lot of sense then. Seems like 5G is working as intended.

ookla_5g-download_performance_1221-01.png

iamacow

Aug 26, 2011
May I humbly suggest an alternative.

Import from Singapore.
Singapore phones are unlocked (by law), snapdragon, samsung pay works fine, 5G works well overseas. has dual sim + esim, and they're all in English. And yes, widevine L1.
Source: i'm using a Singapore S22 Ultra from launch date.

You can buy direct from Samsung and use a forwarder to ship to UK. There are 3 versions of S22U in Singapore, 3 with bloat from 3 different telcos, and 1 from Samsung without the telco bloats.

arstulex

Oct 23, 2010
Hi, I've got a 12GB/512GB S9080 on the TGY CSC here in the UK. I'm on O2UK but my 5G works fine. I have no weird carrier branding and I don't get any Chinese characters anywhere. I use Google Pay just fine (never used Samsung Pay on any of my devices)

No issues on updates, in fact I got the latest May update on the 28th of April.

I got this phone through techinthebasket and paid over £300 less than the equivalent Exynos version direct from Samsung.

If you have any questions regarding the device just ask 👍

Now that my S22U has arrived and I've had some time with it I return to this thread with an update!

First off, the phone I received from techinthebasket was a Taiwan import with a BRI csc. I actually only just bothered checking the csc yesterday out of random curiosity, which you can take as a sign that nothing caught my attention and made me check the csc any sooner.
I assume they source their phones from a few different places so there is an element of randomness regarding which csc the phone arrives with. Not that that is a concern as everything seems to be functioning perfectly and it wouldn't be hard to switch to TGY csc if I wanted to anyway.

I can also further vouch that there are no functional or aesthetic anomalies with my imported phone (Taiwan in my case) being used in the UK. I have received automatic updates just fine too. Without checking the about section in the settings (or any of the specific restrictions I mentioned in the OP such as Samsung Pay not functioning) I wouldn't be able to tell it's an asian import.

The only thing I haven't been able to test yet is 5G functionality on EE since I would have to drive a few miles to be within coverage. I have noticed that the option to enable 5G is present in the settings and can be toggled on though, for what that's worth.

All in all, massive success. ✅✅✅

To any other UK-based users who are hesitant about buying an import, go for it. Just be aware that you will not benefit from Samsung's own warranty, so make sure you purchase from a seller who is trusted and provides their own warranty if that concerns you. Oh, and Samsung Pay will not work, but who wouldn't use Google Pay instead anyway?

ZayaanAhyaan

Dec 2, 2016
This is my third HK variant import (Note 20U, s21U) and S22 U is no different. 5G works flawless as does Samsung Pay along with Dual SIM.

Reactions: p.dixon0

Rakaan

Jan 15, 2011
London
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I have got an HK import as well and can add the following;

• Samsung Pay is in the Chinese/Taiwanese language (The interface is in English but certain notifications etc are in Chinese language)
  • VoLTE option is not available in Mobile Network settings. Does not show in Sim Status either but on the bar itself, the network status is 5G and VoLTE so I am guessing it is working.

Attachments

• VoLTE.png
    VoLTE.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

a5ian300zx

Nov 6, 2008
London, UK

Import from Singapore.
Singapore phones are unlocked (by law), snapdragon, samsung pay works fine, 5G works well overseas. has dual sim + esim, and they're all in English. And yes, widevine L1.

You can buy direct from Samsung and use a forwarder to ship to UK. There are 3 versions of S22U in Singapore, 3 with bloat from 3 different telcos, and 1 from Samsung without the telco bloats.
How would this work? Just onto the Samsung Singapore site and order to UK address?

Or you ship to forwarders address who then ship to your UK address?

did you have to pay import and duty etc?

iamacow

Aug 26, 2011
How would this work? Just onto the Samsung Singapore site and order to UK address?

I happened to be in Singapore. My friends in UK use a forwarder. I know people from around the region fly to Singapore to buy (there's tax deduction). Think some of the forwarders allow you to skip out on UK import tax.

However to note, GBP has been crashing and SGD strengthening, so the relative price has increased about 10% from a few months ago.

I was in London a couple of weeks ago, and 5G works fine, though the coverage is so bad that I forced the phone to go 4g only to save battery.

For those worried about Samsung Pay, I have attached the CSCs installed in the phone that you can switch to. I think it's mostly South East Asian countries. XSP = Singapore no carrier apps, STH = Singapore's Starhub set (but unlocked).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220803-121142_Configuration update.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-121142_Configuration update.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Screenshot_20220803-121126_Configuration update.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-121126_Configuration update.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220803-121119_Configuration update.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-121119_Configuration update.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 30
  • Screenshot_20220803-121113_Configuration update.jpg
    Screenshot_20220803-121113_Configuration update.jpg
    275.8 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: a5ian300zx

sanda74

Aug 5, 2022
Hi there, I also want to import a Samsung s22 ultra s9080 from techinthebasket.com. Can please people wich have this phone already in UK tell me if everything is working fine and of course the 5g. Thank you.

Last edited:

Aleosha

Dec 26, 2008
Hi there, I also want to import a Samsung s22 ultra s9080 from techinthebasket.com. Can please people wich have this phone already in UK tell me if everything is working fine and of course the 5g. Thank you.
I ordered S22 Ultra from TechInTheBasket on the 1st of August. Got it on 10th of August.
Can confirm that 5G works fine. I'm with EE in London.

It does game a bit of bloatware: Easy Wallet for one. But it seems that you can simply uninstall it.

Rakaan

Jan 15, 2011
London
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Does anyone have a problem with the dialer and address book? I have 9080 and if I save a contact with the country code, the incoming call does not show the caller's name, e.g.

Andrew saved as - 07799404040 (Incoming call shows as Andrew)
Andrew saved as - +447799404040 (Incoming call shows as +447799404040)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, I've got a 12GB/512GB S9080 on the TGY CSC here in the UK. I'm on O2UK but my 5G works fine. I have no weird carrier branding and I don't get any Chinese characters anywhere. I use Google Pay just fine (never used Samsung Pay on any of my devices)

I got this phone through techinthebasket and paid over £300 less than the equivalent Exynos version direct from Samsung.

Now that my S22U has arrived and I've had some time with it I return to this thread with an update!

First off, the phone I received from techinthebasket was a Taiwan import with a BRI csc. I actually only just bothered checking the csc yesterday out of random curiosity, which you can take as a sign that nothing caught my attention and made me check the csc any sooner.
    I assume they source their phones from a few different places so there is an element of randomness regarding which csc the phone arrives with. Not that that is a concern as everything seems to be functioning perfectly and it wouldn't be hard to switch to TGY csc if I wanted to anyway.

I can also further vouch that there are no functional or aesthetic anomalies with my imported phone (Taiwan in my case) being used in the UK. I have received automatic updates just fine too. Without checking the about section in the settings (or any of the specific restrictions I mentioned in the OP such as Samsung Pay not functioning) I wouldn't be able to tell it's an asian import.

The only thing I haven't been able to test yet is 5G functionality on EE since I would have to drive a few miles to be within coverage. I have noticed that the option to enable 5G is present in the settings and can be toggled on though, for what that's worth.

All in all, massive success. ✅✅✅

To any other UK-based users who are hesitant about buying an import, go for it. Just be aware that you will not benefit from Samsung's own warranty, so make sure you purchase from a seller who is trusted and provides their own warranty if that concerns you. Oh, and Samsung Pay will not work, but who wouldn't use Google Pay instead anyway?

Import from Singapore.

Hi guys,
    I want to get the HK version of this phone (because general consensus seems to be the Snapdragon is better than Samsung's processor that comes in all the EU models) and I want to have a solid idea of what potential ramifications there are from doing this.
    From what I gather, the HK model is SM-S9080.

I'm pretty clear on the ramifications from the actual importing of the device, such as loss of Samsung's warranty and things like that. What I'm struggling with is the technical aspects of it.
    I've done some Google-fu to the best of my ability, but I must admit I'm a little overwhelmed by all the technical jargon, numbers, codes, etc that seem to be involved. Hopefully you can help me understand better...

I know that both Samsung Pay and Samsung Member Benefits will not work in the UK, however this does not bother me as I have no intentions of using those anyway.

The network provider I use in the UK is EE and, from what I can tell, the HK model supports all the necessary bands including 5G (source here: https://www.kimovil.com/en/frequency-checker/GB/samsung-galaxy-s22-ultra ). However, I have heard that 5G could be arbitrarily deactivated in the UK by the software or hardware in the phone or something like that due to the model differences. Is this true?

Will there be any weird branding issues that can't be easily removed? By this I mean is it going to have weird chinese branding that can't be removed without flashing/rooting/etc (I'd personally prefer not to do any of that stuff). Could I just change the language to English and have it be visually indistinguishable from a 'native' UK model?

Will Google Play be affected? I don't know if there are any china-related politics that would impact my ability to use Google's services. Sorry if that is a stupid question.

What is a CsC and will it matter regarding the function of the phone? I've seen this term being used a lot while googling but I have no idea what it means or how exactly it affects the use of the phone.

How would updates work? Would there be any issues on that front?

Is there anything else I need to consider from a technical point of view that I have missed?

Hopefully these aren't stupid questions. Thank you in advance.
    the csc is the carrier aspect of the phone , ie what bands of each type of network connections are used,and country specific bloatware , the csc is also what carrires the software restrictions based on the laws of the country it is coded for. you would get hongkong specific updates with a csc from that region as far as i can sumise, you may even need to use a hongkong routed vpn to receive them, but again thats a guess

I happened to be in Singapore. My friends in UK use a forwarder. I know people from around the region fly to Singapore to buy (there's tax deduction). Think some of the forwarders allow you to skip out on UK import tax.

However to note, GBP has been crashing and SGD strengthening, so the relative price has increased about 10% from a few months ago.

I was in London a couple of weeks ago, and 5G works fine, though the coverage is so bad that I forced the phone to go 4g only to save battery.

For those worried about Samsung Pay, I have attached the CSCs installed in the phone that you can switch to. I think it's mostly South East Asian countries. XSP = Singapore no carrier apps, STH = Singapore's Starhub set (but unlocked).