• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Holy crap. Change wifi sleep policy to never. BIG INCREASE IN BATTERY

Search This thread

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Is that 11% just to wifi as reported on the battery usage screen, or you're saying your total battery goes down to 89% in that period?

That's 11% total. I unplugged at 100% and went to bed. 12 hours later I had 89%. But no use on the device obviously. I've got the screen shots when I posted this before I believe.

But when 3g kicks in it drains the battery more. A lot more. Even with no use. So WiFi seems to be far superior to me.

logger

Dec 11, 2007
Also leave phone on wifi definitely saves battery than leave it on 3g, as contrary to many people's belief because the phone won't have to search and maintain 3g connection all the time.
Said with such authority, but wrong.
Thats a blanket generalisation and pre supposes one has access to WiFi.
Why would I leave my WiFi ON other than to waste battery, when the nearest WiFi access point that my phone can use is currently 200 miles away?

jcar87

Jun 19, 2009
From what I know (probably read it in this board), WiFI uses little-to-none energy when idle, since it barely transmits any data at all.

Also remember the phone switches between 2G, UMTS and HSDPA. I think the policy for doing it changes while it's on WiFi too (since the phone stops caring for a good 3.5G data connection).

I guess that would explain the battery improvement.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
So if you look at the original post, he says that it saves his phone from switching between EDGE and 3G, which tells me he has a really bad phone signal.

While switching to Wifi won't help that (the phone will still be hunting) perhaps it takes him less power to use wifi for data in such circumstances.

If you don't have active data going, like push email, IM, etc, clearly this won't do anything.

Personally unless I'm streaming music, I never switch to wifi.. It is a little easier on battery than cellular with streaming music however. Otherwise, nah.

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Said with such authority, but wrong.
Thats a blanket generalisation and pre supposes one has access to WiFi.
Why would I leave my WiFi ON other than to waste battery, when the nearest WiFi access point that my phone can use is currently 200 miles away?

Umm we are talking about comparing WiFi to 3g. If you don't have WiFi access near you, then you don't exactly fit in this discussion. That's the whole point, being connected to WiFi.

RogerPodacter

Apr 12, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
So if you look at the original post, he says that it saves his phone from switching between EDGE and 3G, which tells me he has a really bad phone signal.

While switching to Wifi won't help that (the phone will still be hunting) perhaps it takes him less power to use wifi for data in such circumstances.

If you don't have active data going, like push email, IM, etc, clearly this won't do anything.

Personally unless I'm streaming music, I never switch to wifi.. It is a little easier on battery than cellular with streaming music however. Otherwise, nah.

That's the problem with android, the OS always keeps an active data session going at all times, whether you are using an app that needs it or not. This is why battery life isn't as good as other phones like symbian, which close data when not in use.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
That's the problem with android, the OS always keeps an active data session going at all times, whether you are using an app that needs it or not. This is why battery life isn't as good as other phones like symbian, which close data when not in use.

You wrote it too many times in too many threads for me not to comment. Technically you're right, but you're wrong.
The phone keeps UMTS data connected because unless it does so, there will be no push services whatsoever. No immediate contacts sync, no Gmail, no Exchange, no Facebook, no IM apps, nothing. Void.
And since such a large part of the apps relies on push notifications, including system level services like contacts sync - the data is always connected.

If Symbian doesn't keep data connected - then you can't use push services on it, which makes the "internet connection" of the phone pretty crappy. You can do the same with Android - with apps like JuiceDefender. Personally, if I would need to install such apps on the phone - I wouldn't choose a "net-wired" phone in the first place. This phone is 1/10 of what it can be when it has no constant internet access.

D

diversificationied

You probably shouldn't state things if you don't know how they work.

You phone (not the OS) will maintain a connection with your provider.

T-mobile, in this example, maintains a "low level" 3g connection until something on your phone asks for more data throughput. At that point t-mobile opens up the pipe for high speed usage.

On the phone side, you have services. Some are always on connections, some are idle connections. These idle connections are, again, "low level" connections, the ping occasionally to keep the connection alive, but they are not enough to trigger the full data throughput.

So it's a type of domino effect. Whether the connection is always on or not, is up to the application.

Google applications such as Gmail have an idle connection, and they do not need the full throughput bandwith.

Jack_R1

Aug 9, 2009
He's technically right, you could have UMTS voice connected and data disconnected completely ("data enable" checkbox in Networks), and it wouldn't have even idle-level connection. He didn't mean HSxPA (which has no idle). But it equals castrating the phone, IMHO.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My "always on while sleep" doesn't work.. it opt's out anyway..

Edit: Installed an app called Wifi Fixer. And my connection hold up now while sleeping. nice....!!!